News: The Dallas Cowboys are in love with Kyle Pitts and have spoken to him already

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/kyle-pitts-to-dallas-cowboys-jones-talking-to-gator-te

According to multiple reports, the Cowboys have fallen in love with Florida tight end Kyle Pitts. Then again, who hasn't at this point in the draft process.

The former Gator is a unicorn prospect who can do a little bit of everything. A solid in-line blocker with the ability to make stellar catches on the perimeter, line him up anywhere and watch Pitts play.

Let me guess that nobody on the Cowboys have spoken to any other player who will be in this draft. Pitts is the only one. This reminds me a lot about the 2005 off season leading up to the draft and at the combine Jones talked at length with Merriman and the again at his Pro Day and then brought him to Dallas for a private workout and EVERYBODY was so sure the Cowboys were going to draft him but come draft day they took Ware instead. There's a word for what they did with Merriman, it's called gamesmanship. To not let any other team know who they really were looking to draft.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Agreed. People seem to be forgetting that Parsons could be a “generational” talent at LB.. Just go look at his size and his Proday numbers!!

The difference is.. offensive players have always been the sexier pick over defense

I would bet that Parsons would make the biggest difference on the Cowboys than Pitts would from day 1.

From what I've heard Parsons has weaknesses shedding blocks and not the best instincts, which are the problems we have with Jaylon and LVE already. Not to mention the off-field issues.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Cowboys will be trading around because they are not drafting 10 guys this year. Jerry is short of money this year to buy players but, he has draft chips in this and next year's draft. He's all in on his Moss makeup.

Great but to move up further into the Top 10, he's likely looking at his other premium picks which he clearly needs to then fill defensive holes if he's going to try to take a TE in the first round.

So what's the plan then? Trade your 2nd to move up to grab Pitts and then solve defensive issues with your abundance of picks in the 3rd round and lower?

Good luck with that strategy.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
The first defensive player taken in that draft, two picks after Calvin Johnson, was Gaines Adams. He had 13 career sacks, then he died. The next defensive player taken after that was LaRon Landry, who was a pretty average to good SS.

I don’t know about you, but I’d still take Calvin Johnson.

I don't disagree. Johnson was clearly the best prospect to pick. But in general, we seem to always find ourselves in this situation. We desperately need help on defense, but we draft offense (or trade a 1st fit an offensive player) because that was the best player available. And then we get jealous watching the Bucs defense destroy Mahomes in the Super Bowl. And then we fall right back into the same trap the next year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
need help at RT.

our defense is going to be average at best.

but that’s ok. I will take average.

Collins is our RT. If he can't go, then Nysekhe would likely take his place. If he can't go, then Martin would possibly take his place with McGovern starting at guard. And the options go on. It's crazy to address a position where we've got a starter and depth, especially early in the draft, when we're void of quality starters at some spots on defense.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Crazy idea.

Actually use FA to get a couple of really good defenders to sure up a spot or two and then it makes taking a TE in the Top 10 more palatable. But nope.............. we ham and egged it again in FA and all the homers kept saying, it's OK, we'll use the draft to land our solutions on defense.

And then watch us use our 10th pick on a TE, or worse, trade some picks to move up to take a TE.

Totally agree. Pitts is a potential stud. No doubt. He is a luxury item in Dallas though. Had they signed a starting quality DT or CB or OT I would be all for the luxury item. They didn’t though. Too many holes on D.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Everyone should be in love with Pitts. We’re talking about a Calvin Johnson-like talent here.

It’d be crazy to pass him up at 10.

I'm not sure he makes it to 10. He may go before a WR which is crazy. Chase > Pitts. BTW the best defensive player in the draft is Micah Parsons. I hope if we miss out on PItts. Micah is there for the taking. I like him over Surtain and any of the corners. With LVE and his neck lets not count on him. We should not pick up his 5th year option. Just let him walk. This pick would make that decision way easier.

Wizarus

Reaction score
Dallas loves chasing after shiny instead of building a solid defensive core. No discipline.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think a guy like Surtain is a great CB prospect. Its just that the QB's and WR's and Pitts are getting all the hype in this draft so they are being overlooked. I also think Parsons is a very good prospect. Just what you want at MLB. Guy ran a 4.39 40.

If we have a chance to take the #1 or #2 defender in this draft at 10, its a gift. Im glad all these offensive players are getting overhyped.

Half these QB's will bust, Waddle is 5-10 and 180?
Talk about the man in the room getting over looked, that has to be Chase in this draft.
Everyone speculating about Pitts being there, moving up to get him,, and that is a likely scenario, no less likely than Chase being there as well.

Swagger

Reaction score
It does not seem a great draft for elite defensive players but a fairly deep one for decent defensive players. Let's trade up for Pitts and improve the Redzone efficiency and discourage Prescott from running with the ball. We don't want to see $125 million going up in smoke.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Trading up for Pitts scares the hell out of me. First, We’ll be ignoring the defensive woes and likely giving up valuable draft capital to move. That’s two top 100 picks that won’t be used on defense.

I know, I know.. Pitts is considered a generational talent.. But currently our defense is considered laughable. I’m not saying I’m against drafting Pitts.. I’m just saying..if he falls to 10, draft him if that makes folks happy. But the rest of the draft should concentrate on defense.

I won’t be mad if we draft Pitts and I’m sure many will be elated.. but if that happens.. be prepared for another poor defense this year.

I suppose I’m old school. As much as I like offense, I still believe defense wins championships.. exp in January.
As much as I agree with you, I think we should try and move up to get him

boysfanindc

Reaction score
These are some of the players that got defensive snaps last year, I refuse to believe by adding players the likes of Horn, Phillips, McNeil and Holland (pick you own 4) with the addition of Urban, Bashman, Neal and Kayzee via free agency and replacing the snaps the below players got it does not improve this defense significantly, even if they are rookies.

Secondary
Daryl Worley

Saivion Smith

Steven Parker

Deante Burton

Defensive Line
Eli Ankou

Walter Palmore

Justin Hamilton

Dontari Poe

Ron'Dell Carter

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This offense could be the punch in the face that no defense can be prepared for. The opponent's plan goes away and they are on their heels all game long.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This offense could be the punch in the face that no defense can be prepared for. The opponent's plan goes away and they are on their heels all game long.
We just HAVE to stop the run. Or every game is a shootout. A push in the middle does so much. Stuffs the middle and gives the qb no room to step up. But if we can score at will then it will be sweet.

Sydla

Reaction score
Totally agree. Pitts is a potential stud. No doubt. He is a luxury item in Dallas though. Had they signed a starting quality DT or CB or OT I would be all for the luxury item. They didn’t though. Too many holes on D.

This is why the front office's plan in FA and the homers that defend it are flawed. When you ignore clear needs in FA and instead sign depth guys and hope that the draft will deliver your real starting talent, you lose flexibility in the draft. If you wouldn't sign a really good DT in FA or a really good S in FA or a really good CB in FA, instead thinking those guys will come from the draft, you can't then turn around and trade premium picks to go chasing a TE in the first round.

That's just absurd logic.