News: The Dallas Cowboys are in love with Kyle Pitts and have spoken to him already

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
If the Cowboys give up significant draft capital to draft Pitts and sacrifice defense, we may as well start looking at top 10 mock drafts for next year too

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
*,,,er,,, do y'all recall that wide-out receiver ( that the majority of y'all considered a JAG) that had gotten his lower leg intentionally snapped in two by Pete Carroll's Seahags? ,,,er,,, in that one lone single solitary playoff game? ( Ya, the same one where they'd attempted to do it to COLE BEASLEY, as well) just wondering o_O

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If the Cowboys give up significant draft capital to draft Pitts and sacrifice defense, we may as well start looking at top 10 mock drafts for next year too

Rookies aren't going to change next years defense anyways.

Player development from previous drafts and Scheme will improve our defense.

Rookies you just hope for flash plays and not a lot of screw ups.

Gaede

Reaction score
Collins couldn’t play last season.

Steele did.

not good.

Neither did Dak. Does that mean we should target QB above all else? The draft is long and we have 10 picks. Going TE doesn't stop us from grabbing an OT in any other round

morasp

Reaction score
Rookies aren't going to change next years defense anyways.

Player development from previous drafts and Scheme will improve our defense.

Rookies you just hope for flash plays and not a lot of screw ups.
We were lucky to have Diggs last year. He had some rough plays early but by the end of the year he was our best guy and got the ball back for the offense three times. And that was a day two pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
nobody expects him to be there at 10,now the talk is how far we are willing to trade up to get him.

Trading up for him seems ridiculous.

If he's there at 10, great. But trading away a 3rd or 2nd round to move up to 5-6 seems pretty crazy IMO.

This is why the Cowboys FA plan was flawed as well. They signed a bunch of JAGs and the reason we were told was because the draft will be used to find real players at DT, CB, S, etc. But then we turn around and trade some premium picks in order to move up to grab a TE?

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think its time for Captain Trade down to ride again. As Jeff Cavanaugh once said lol. I simply have studied this alot lately, and Pitts wont be there, so ask yourselves, will drafting a high profile db at 10 equal more wins for us in the short term? NO it won't. Now ask, if we trade down to say 15 with NE and then take Darrisaw or Barmore, would that fix the interior and get us an extra win or 2? Yes it would IMO. To me cb is a luxury pick at 10 when you factor in how deep this draft is at the position. We can get 1 in round 2 or 3 without that much drop off.I just dont see the need to draft a high profile corner when we have options and needs.

Sydla

Reaction score
Neither did Dak. Does that mean we should target QB above all else? The draft is long and we have 10 picks. Going TE doesn't stop us from grabbing an OT in any other round

Depends on if they have to trade up to get their shiny toy.

Trading a couple of picks to move up for a TE would potentially hinder your draft strategy. If you go by draft value chart, if we wanted to get to 5 or 6 to grab Pitts, you are talking about possibly the 44th pick being moved or maybe both 3rds.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We were lucky to have Diggs last year. He had some rough plays early but by the end of the year he was our best guy and got the ball back for the offense three times. And that was a day two pick.

And yet we had the worst defense in the league.

Rookies don’t make a difference unless they are some kind of phenom.

If you want to drastically improve the defense THIS YEAR then you do it in FA.

Sydla

Reaction score
Only in Dallas can you have a historically bad defense the year before with needs at CB, DT, S and LB and use a top 10 pick on a TE.

Crazy idea.

Actually use FA to get a couple of really good defenders to sure up a spot or two and then it makes taking a TE in the Top 10 more palatable. But nope.............. we ham and egged it again in FA and all the homers kept saying, it's OK, we'll use the draft to land our solutions on defense.

And then watch us use our 10th pick on a TE, or worse, trade some picks to move up to take a TE.

morasp

Reaction score
And yet we had the worst defense in the league.

Rookies don’t make a difference unless they are some kind of phenom.
One player doesn't fix that mess we had last year and without him they would have been much much worse. We could easily add two or three defensive players in the draft that by the end of the season would be upgrades to what they have now. Going into the playoffs Jimmy used to tell the rookies you're not rookies anymore.

Last edited:

LittleD

Reaction score
Man has mass resources and feels the reaper gaining ground, why should he care about sound investments when the term isnt a concern.
You have to ask yourself if you would.

Remember what Jerry has consistently said since he bought the Cowboys. The NFL is a business and in Jerry's case, a family business. The Cowboys are the statement team for the NFL and Jerry likes that.

Gaede

Reaction score
Depends on if they have to trade up to get their shiny toy.

Trading a couple of picks to move up for a TE would potentially hinder your draft strategy. If you go by draft value chart, if we wanted to get to 5 or 6 to grab Pitts, you are talking about possibly the 44th pick being moved or maybe both 3rds.

I'm not a huge fan of trading up, for sure. If it's small, and all I need to do is give up a 3, I'll think about that. I'd rather not though

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of trading up, for sure. If it's small, and all I need to do is give up a 3, I'll think about that. I'd rather not though
Wonder if that would work to let’s say 7-8. Or would you have to give up a 2

Sydla

Reaction score

I am not against Pitts completely given he's a freak talent. So, if he slipped to 7 or 8 and you could move up for a 3rd or 4th or some combo of later picks, I could stomach that.

But this defense is still so void of real talent that I just can't bring myself to start trading other premium picks in some Jerry-esque quest for the next shiny toy. Frankly, if we are making any trades. I'd like to see us trade down and grab another 2nd or 3rd and load up on defensive prospects and maybe an OT.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wonder if that would work to let’s say 7-8. Or would you have to give up a 2

If you go by the draft value chart (yes, it's not totally accurate), you are probably looking at trading a 3rd to move up two spots. The issue would then become if Pitts falls, there could be a bidding war to move up to 8, let's say, and then the price could end up being a 2nd.

I just can't justify spending a 1st and 2nd round pick on a TE. Now if the dipwads in the front office had done a better job in FA, it might make this more palatable.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
One player doesn't fix that mess we had last year and without him they would have been much much worse. We could easily add two or three defensive players in the draft that by the end of the season would upgrades to what they have now. Going into the playoffs Jimmy used to tell the rookies you're not rookies anymore.

Defensive scheme and not players will improve our defense more than anything.

It's going to be a conservative basic defense but playing bend don't break is going to go a long way for this defense.

I haven't seen us just constantly bust coverage like we did last year. Our players weren't smart enough to run that.

Whatever Marinelli was doing had us playing a solid brand of defense.

If the offense stops sputtering early in games and we get a lead then we will be a better team.

LittleD

Reaction score
If Jerry can find a trading partner and Pitts is available, he will give up whatever it takes to get his guy. He sees an "All Pro" for the next 10 years. There are no defensive players in this year's draft worth a top 10 pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
If Jerry can find a trading partner and Pitts is available, he will give up whatever it takes to get his guy. He sees an "All Pro" for the next 10 years. There are no defensive players in this year's draft worth a top 10 pick.

Then trade the pick and get more picks. Don't give up other premium picks to go chase a TE in the Top 10.

I mean holy crap. We have to stomach this front office telling us that they will be smart and prudent in FA and won't sign legitimate starters to fill holes, that the draft is where we will find our real talent. And then we have to watch them do little to fix a terrible defense in FA only to then trade away some premium picks they could use on defense to chase after one of Jerry's shiny toys.

Oy.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Remember when the Lions drafted Calvin Johnson and became a perennial Super Bowl contender?

The first defensive player taken in that draft, two picks after Calvin Johnson, was Gaines Adams. He had 13 career sacks, then he died. The next defensive player taken after that was LaRon Landry, who was a pretty average to good SS.

I don’t know about you, but I’d still take Calvin Johnson.