The Dark Knight Rises **merged**

a_minimalist

Reaction score
TheCount;4628240 said:
They do, you just have to wait months. Why would they steam new releases to your tv, that wouldn't make any sense financially.

Sure it would. I don't know how you came to that conclusion. You charge the same price as a movie ticket.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
a_minimalist;4628247 said:
Sure it would. I don't know how you came to that conclusion. You charge the same price as a movie ticket.
If movie studios started releasing all their films in that format, piracy would skyrocket beyond its present levels. Profits would be significantly impacted. In my opinion, they are waiting for technology to advance enough to provide stronger protections.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
DallasEast;4628250 said:
If movie studios started releasing all their films in that format, piracy would skyrocket beyond its present levels. Profits would be significantly impacted. In my opinion, they are waiting for technology to advance enough to provide stronger protections.

That's more plausible but piracy is already through the roof. I think that's probably closer to the reason why though.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
a_minimalist;4628260 said:
That's more plausible but piracy is already through the roof. I think that's probably closer to the reason why though.
Since streaming technology already exists, I think that it's highly plausible. Additionally, I would guess that there might also be reservations considering server capacity/film delivery on premiere dates for highly anticipated, first release movies via streaming.

I would not be shocked at how many millions of customers would have requested movie on demand delivery of The Dark Knight Rises on opening day. It would be exponentially higher than what will be demanded once the film is eventually released on blu-ray for home consumption after it's initial theater run. And that will be enormously high too.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
DallasEast;4628271 said:
Since streaming technology already exists, I think that it's highly plausible. Additionally, I would guess that there might also be reservations considering server capacity/film delivery on premiere dates for highly anticipated, first release movies via streaming.

I would not be shocked at how many millions of customers would have requested movie on demand delivery of The Dark Knight Rises on opening day. It would be exponentially higher than what will be demanded once the film is eventually released on blu-ray for home consumption after it's initial theater run. And that will be enormously high too.

Your last paragraph seems dead on. I was actually thinking about it and it would probably be more profitable to release ten on demand right away. Sure there are arguments for releasing it on demand first could be more profitable though. The tech probably just isn't there as you suggested.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
We'll start to see more feature films be streamed same day as theater. You just have to realize that many directors want their films to be enjoyed as they were intended...on the big screen.

I hate going to the theaters because of people that can't keep their damn traps shut.

My Lady and I were sitting in front of the most obnoxious yuppie/hipster types that would not shut the hell up.

Edit: You can't forget that this is a must see on IMAX.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StevenOtero;4628286 said:
We'll start to see more feature films be streamed same day as theater. You just have to realize that many directors want their films to be enjoyed as they were intended...on the big screen.

I hate going to the theaters because of people that can't keep their damn traps shut.

My Lady and I were sitting in front of the most obnoxious yuppie/hipster types that would not shut the hell up.

Edit: You can't forget that this is a must see on IMAX.
I'm... not so sure directors are the stumbling block for movies being streamed. I think that the movie studios pretty much have complete say about it. :)

StevenOtero

Reaction score
DallasEast;4628293 said:
I'm... not so sure directors are the stumbling block for movies being streamed. I think that the movie studios pretty much have complete say about it. :)
Well, I can say that Nolan had the majority of the say in his final two movies in TDK trilogy.

I know what you mean though.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StevenOtero;4628297 said:
Well, I can say that Nolan had the majority of the say in his final two movies in TDK trilogy.

I know what you mean though.
I'm sure that Christopher Nolan had complete creative authority over his films. Or at least he should have that level of contractual guarantee. He's an excellent director and studio heads should always stay out of his way.

However, distribution control of films is the hands of the studios, not the directors. The directors can influence certain things like release dates, however.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
DallasEast;4628303 said:
I'm sure that Christopher Nolan had complete creative authority over his films. Or at least he should have that level of contractual guarantee. He's an excellent director and studio heads should always stay out of his way.

However, distribution control of films is the hands of the studios, not the directors. The directors can influence certain things like release dates, however.
You're preaching to the choir here. I only meant that directors would be upset that their films would not be exclusive to the theaters upon theatrical release.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StevenOtero;4628307 said:
You're preaching to the choir here. I only meant that directors would be upset that their films would not be exclusive to the theaters upon theatrical release.
No argument there. Hollywood is not unlike an institution unto itself and directors enjoy the glamour and prestige which their theatrical films link them to it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

Yeah, that makes sense. Try to take your entire family to see a movie in a theater for the price of one ticket and let me know how that goes.

You take two people with you to the movies, you're paying for 3 tickets. That's 3 individual sales to 1. Seems like a pretty good incentive to not stream on the day of release, much less before DVD sales.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
TheCount;4628361 said:
Yeah, that makes sense. Try to take your entire family to see a movie in a theater for the price of one ticket and let me know how that goes.
Exactly

Rogah

Reaction score
You know what they should do? They should make movies and send them directly to television for people to watch for free. But since people are watching for free, they can institute breaks in those movies called "commercials" where they sell advertising space.

Of course, these "commercials" could never generate as much revenue as ticket sales generate so actually what they should do is have some movies for free and some you have to pay for. And since ticket sales generate more revenue than commercials, the production quality of those paid-movies would be better than the free-movies.

Then people could choose what they want. Stay home and watch something mediocre for free, or pay $12 to watch something with superior production quality, acting, effects, etc. To further enhance the experience, these "paid" movies could be shown in public auditoriums with superior quality audios and visuals.

The only problem with that setup is you run the risk of people whining that they want to be able to watch the superior production movie for free since other forms of entertainment are free. Nah, that could never happen. No one is forced to do anything they don't want to do so no one would be silly enough to whine about such a thing. :D

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Good movie. I can only imagine how much better it would've been if I'd been able to understand the dialogue.

Rogah

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;4628381 said:
Good movie. I can only imagine how much better it would've been if I'd been able to understand the dialogue.
+1. I kept expecting the movie to have an appearance from this guy:

boomhower_answer_5_xlarge.jpeg

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Rogah;4628374 said:
You know what they should do? They should make movies and send them directly to television for people to watch for free. But since people are watching for free, they can institute breaks in those movies called "commercials" where they sell advertising space.

Of course, these "commercials" could never generate as much revenue as ticket sales generate so actually what they should do is have some movies for free and some you have to pay for. And since ticket sales generate more revenue than commercials, the production quality of those paid-movies would be better than the free-movies.

Then people could choose what they want. Stay home and watch something mediocre for free, or pay $12 to watch something with superior production quality, acting, effects, etc. To further enhance the experience, these "paid" movies could be shown in public auditoriums with superior quality audios and visuals.

The only problem with that setup is you run the risk of people whining that they want to be able to watch the superior production movie for free since other forms of entertainment are free. Nah, that could never happen. No one is forced to do anything they don't want to do so no one would be silly enough to whine about such a thing. :D

clearly you're not aware of the argument that it's more than possible to have a better screen and sound system in your home than at the movie theatre. nice try to make something that is subjective, objective. you failed though because people would be far more likely to rent a movie at home than go to a movie. in today's mobile society there's also another market for people who constantly travel and parents who don't have the time to leave their home but really want to see a movie as soon as some free time opens up.

when it happens in a few years we'll see if you're still making smart *** remarks. hopefully by then you'll realize you're not as clever as you think you are.

by the way, keep preaching ideas that are decades old slick.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
TheCount;4628361 said:

You take two people with you to the movies, you're paying for 3 tickets. That's 3 individual sales to 1. Seems like a pretty good incentive to not stream on the day of release, much less before DVD sales.

And there are no other markets that open up? They could easily up the price since you are watching it at home. It will eventually happen.

By the way if you think that the increase in movie watching wouldn't make up for the loss by the purchase of more than one movie ticket per movie, well, you're wrong. People avoid movie theaters on opening day because of the crowd. Open them up to everyone at home as well as movie theaters, sales increase, try explaining how that wouldn't increase revenues for studios.

Rogah

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4628426 said:
clearly you're not aware of the argument that it's more than possible to have a better screen and sound system in your home than at the movie theatre.
Bullcrap. Unless you're Bill Gates, you'll never have something in your home that is equivalent to today's IMAX screens. Oh sure, if you spend enough money you can have something nicer than the 75 year old Ioka Theater down the street with the $1 popcorn and the movies that have been out for 7 months, but you'll never compete with a top quality theater.
a_minimalist;4628426 said:
you failed though because people would be far more likely to rent a movie at home than go to a movie. in today's mobile society there's also another market for people who constantly travel and parents who don't have the time to leave their home but really want to see a movie as soon as some free time opens up.

when it happens in a few years we'll see if you're still making smart *** remarks. hopefully by then you'll realize you're not as clever as you think you are.

by the way, keep preaching ideas that are decades old slick.
Tell you what: How about you allow movie makers to make movies the way they want to, and if there's an audience for their method they can continue.

If someone wants to make a crap quality movie for your hypothetical stay-at-home parents and people like you who whine about the cost of the tickets, then more power to 'em! Meanwhile, please allow the rest of us the ability to pay $12 or so to see superior quality productions. I'll go see The Dark Knight and Inglorious Basterds, you can enjoy Lion King 2: Simba's Pride and Starship Troopers 4 (or whatever number they're on now).