The Elite QB Farce

Kwyn

Reaction score
Ya man lets stay with what we have a QB who when facing a good defense can only score in Garbage time when the game is lost.
Love them FG and those 3 and outs all game long!!!!
I see many of your posts, and posts from others, where you call for change but few of you actually propose a strategy to achieve your goal.

It is, of course, your privilege to simply complain about Dak but it doesn’t add much to the conversation.

Tell us how you would go about finding the next elite QB. And stating “trade up and get Burrow” isn’t enough, Put in some effort and provide a really realistic alternative or ... just continue to complain.

You guys might as well scream at the night and pray for dawn. The rest of us are trying to figure out how to make fire.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Who said talent is irrelevant? Not me.

So far in our discussion I am the only one who’s mentioned talent. You’ve talked about the timing of the contract and market value and escalating quarterback salaries etc., but not one time have you made a case for Dak earning the right to be the highest paid player in league history by virtue of his talent

Whether intentionally or not you have basically indicated that talent is not a key part of the equation by omission

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Yeah, and get Paxton Lynch, Connor Cook, maybe even Tim Tebow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always find it interesting how in these types of scenarios people point out other draft mistakes other teams have made and how we don’t want to emulate that

But if you point out the litany of mistakes teams have made recently signing mediocre young quarterbacks to big time deals, for example Jared Goff with the Rams or Carson Wentz with the Eagles, And people still act like signing Prescott to a “market value” contract is the only tenable option on the table and that anything else is just ridiculously stupid

I’m not saying you are saying that KSK but that is the mindset of an awful lot of people on this board and it just doesn’t make any sense to me. A lot of people act like signing Dak to a big-time contractors a sure thing. I mean we don’t even need to look to other teams quarterback situations. We can look at our own team in recent years of guys having a big season in a contract year and we pay them a huge deal and it almost never pans out. What in the world has convinced people that this is going to be the magic time when it actually works? LOL

Kwyn

Reaction score
So far in our discussion I am the only one who’s mentioned talent. You’ve talked about the timing of the contract and market value and escalating quarterback salaries etc., but not one time have you made a case for Dak earning the right to be the highest paid player in league history by virtue of his talent

Whether intentionally or not you have basically indicated that talent is not a key part of the equation by omission

Dak won’t be the highest paid player in league history

arguing that you are assuming my intent by my omission of a certain characteristic isn’t fair dealing

There are certain realities in the NFL. One of the main ones is that the cost of doing business goes up. Salaries rise every year.

talent is absolutely relevant to the discussion and it teams obviously weigh it in their consideration.

while I might not have said “Talent is the only factor and all QB’s should be paid, in order, based on their skill level”, you *have* actually stated that timing slid a complete non factor.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I always find it interesting how in these types of scenarios people point out other draft mistakes other teams have made and how we don’t want to emulate that

But if you point out the litany of mistakes teams have made recently signing mediocre young quarterbacks to big time deals, for example Jared Goff with the Rams or Carson Wentz with the Eagles, And people still act like signing Prescott to a “market value” contract is the only tenable option on the table and that anything else is just ridiculously stupid

I’m not saying you are saying that KSK but that is the mindset of an awful lot of people on this board and it just doesn’t make any sense to me. A lot of people act like signing Dak to a big-time contractors a sure thing. I mean we don’t even need to look to other teams quarterback situations. We can look at our own team in recent years of guys having a big season in a contract year and we pay them a huge deal and it almost never pans out. What in the world has convinced people that this is going to be the magic time when it actually works? LOL

all I ever ask is that posters who want to get rid of Dak propose a viable alternative.

“Burn it down” is not a realistic strategy
“Draft a Pat Mahomes” is not a realistic strategy

“Franchise Dak, draft a QB, and see what happens” is a realistic strategy

“Sign Dak to a long term deal” is a realistic strategy.

If someone wants to argue against Dak, at least give us some type of plan or strategy to replace him.

Even if it’s simply “let Dak walk and draft the best QB available at #17”, it would be better than the pie in the sky calls for the Cowboys to do a magic trick and miraculously have the next Aaron Rodgers show up at camp this summer

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That wasn't my point at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The point is, you have a better chance of whiffing than you do of hitting. There's no clear formula, there's no easy way.

I'd love to have a top 5 QB. However, I don't feel the need to P and moan about it all the time simply because they are extremely hard to find.

We did not have the draft picks to trade up for those two. And Goff is being exposed. Dak might be better. Darnold has not been great and was a top pick. Dak is better than Baker.

Now, go back and tell me some guys who we could've actually gotten, and who are better than Dak.
I don’t agree. I believe they are better passers. And in this offense and supporting cast would have taken us further. That’s what I believe.

I don’t have to accept what we have. And I will continue campaigning for it as I see fit. Thanks

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Dak won’t be the highest paid player in league history

arguing that you are assuming my intent by my omission of a certain characteristic isn’t fair dealing

There are certain realities in the NFL. One of the main ones is that the cost of doing business goes up. Salaries rise every year.

talent is absolutely relevant to the discussion and it teams obviously weigh it in their consideration.

while I might not have said “Talent is the only factor and all QB’s should be paid, in order, based on their skill level”, you *have* actually stated that timing slid a complete non factor.

And interestingly here’s another post where you have not even attempted to make a case for Dak having a record-setting quarterback contract Based on his talent and skill level

Yes I said timing should have zero to do with it and I stand on that statement, dogmatically. I think if any quarterback in the league right now other than Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers is making more than Tom Brady made six years ago then it’s a travesty.

are you really going to look at the highest paid quarterbacks in the game right now, guys like Kirk cousins and Jared Goff and Carson Wentz, and tell me the timing should be a key factor in deciding whether not a quarterback gets paid big dollars? I don’t buy into groupthink just because everybody else says it’s so, and I never will. The whole market value and timing discussion is a lazy analysis that people repeat because they’ve heard other people say it And They think it makes them sound intelligent

“market value“ is how we end up with guys like Tyrone Crawford and Demarcus Lawrence eating up significant amounts of our cap

If we give 30% of our cap To Prescott because it’s “market value” we will regret it for a long time

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see many of your posts, and posts from others, where you call for change but few of you actually propose a strategy to achieve your goal.

It is, of course, your privilege to simply complain about Dak but it doesn’t add much to the conversation.

Tell us how you would go about finding the next elite QB. And stating “trade up and get Burrow” isn’t enough, Put in some effort and provide a really realistic alternative or ... just continue to complain.

You guys might as well scream at the night and pray for dawn. The rest of us are trying to figure out how to make fire.

Sign Rivers for a couple of years and move up and get your QB in the draft with a couple of years to develop.
For some here having a Tier 3 QB who can only excel against Dog teams is enough.
Not for myself or true Cowboy fans....team first!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I get it. I want an elite QB also. It makes competing so much better and lots more fun. Right there with you.

If we were able to put ourselves in position to draft one of the guys you mentioned I’d be on board.

I’m a pragmatist though and it’s insanely hard to get those type of picks

Draft analysis calculators (there are two main ones teams use) indicate that the math shows it would take 3 #17’s (our pick) to move up to #1.
I imagine Cincy would hang up the phone even if we had 3 #17s to offer.

Here are the names you mentioned. I’m not sold on any of them, except Mahomes, being better than Dak but all of them are probably at least comparable. Then again all but Mahomes were top 3 picks so they damn sure should be pretty good.

Goff - 1st overall
Wentz - 2nd overall
Mayfield - 1st overall
Darnold - 3rd overall
Mahomes - 10th overall

Here are our first round picks since 1989 with those drafted 10th (Mahomes) or higher named

2019 - no pick
4 - Zeke
6 - Mo Claiborne
9 - Tyron Smith
No pick
No pick
5 - Terrence Newman
8 - Roy Williams
No pick
No pick
8 - Greg Ellis
No pick
No pick
No pick
1 - Maryland
1 - 1989 - Aikman

So, we are left with finding the next Pat Mahomes - of your list he is the only one we would have the drafts to select since 1991

most of those “no pick” years were the result of us moving up in other years so even the picks listed didn’t all come without us having to spend draft capital to get them.

let’s go Cowboys- draft The next Pat Mahomes!
There’s QB’s in this draft we could trade up to get.
We have an outstanding supporting cast. We don’t need Burrows. I understand The top picks are very difficult to get. But there are others obtainable if were interested.

I’d love just once to see us try to draft a 1st round type QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
the Dallas cowboys have selected 1 qb in the first round in their history it’s a pretty strong indication that you’re going to be disappointed

hope it doesn’t keep you up at night lol
You don’t even know our history. We drafted Morton in 1st round in 1965. Come back when you’re more informed to step up to the plate.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
all I ever ask is that posters who want to get rid of Dak propose a viable alternative.

“Burn it down” is not a realistic strategy
“Draft a Pat Mahomes” is not a realistic strategy

“Franchise Dak, draft a QB, and see what happens” is a realistic strategy

“Sign Dak to a long term deal” is a realistic strategy.

If someone wants to argue against Dak, at least give us some type of plan or strategy to replace him.

Even if it’s simply “let Dak walk and draft the best QB available at #17”, it would be better than the pie in the sky calls for the Cowboys to do a magic trick and miraculously have the next Aaron Rodgers show up at camp this summer

I have been on record many times as saying we should either do whatever we need to do to trade up to take a run at Joe Burrow, who I think would be absolutely electric in our offense, or find a stopgap free agent such as a Fitzpatrick etc. who can get us by for a couple years until we can find a long-term solution.

There’s almost 0 doubt in my mind Ryan Fitzpatrick could’ve gotten us to 8-8 this year at a fraction of the price Dak is asking to be paid

We have one of the best offensive lines in the game, one of the best running backs in the game and a very good corps of receivers

This team is absolutely loaded With skill position talent. There are a litany of quarterbacks out there that could’ve gotten us to a . 500 record At a hell of a lot less than $35-$40 million per year

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We critic every position on and off the field. I’m not sure why the QB position is so coveted and protected by fans. We had the same BS with Romo.

Dak has done a pretty good job especially as a 4th round pick. I’m on record as giving him his due. I just want more. Exuuuuuuse me.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
How much better would they be in this offense?

And how would Dak be in their offenses?
Not sure. We don’t have the ability to interchange QBs to find out. So, people will just use their biases to assume what they want to be true.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We critic every position on and off the field. I’m not sure why the QB position is so coveted and protected by fans. We had the same BS with Romo.

Dak has done a pretty good job especially as a 4th round pick. I’m on record as giving him his due. I just want more. Exuuuuuuse me.
Critique the QB position. Just be consistent. I just find it funny many can spot Daks warts but overlook the warts of the QBs they apparently are drooling over.

starfan1

Reaction score
You don’t even know our history. We drafted Morton in 1st round in 1965. Come back when you’re more informed to step up to the plate.
Youre right after I typed it in I thought about that what I meant was jerry Jones era but that said if we are referring to be informed You are holding out hope the cowboys move up and grab a QB and give up important resources after Jerry and Steven has told you Daks our guy so whos misinformed? Ill take the L with this conversation as i should have been more careful when I typed my response to you.

Ill get the W and Dallas will get the W when hes behind center next year and Dallas addresses whats really wrong and that's the defense and propels them to more success and blows your whole elite QB argument out the water.

starfan1

Reaction score
I think the best way to handle this and it's been stated numerous times on here. Put a franchise tag on him and draft a QB. The only problem I see is the Cowboys never want to spend a 1st or 2and round pick on a QB.

and at this point with their other needs it would be beyond stupid. if they do their critical research and see someone later (like a Hurts who i think has throwing the ball issues but he has some intangibles) and bring him in I can see and support that

We have neglected the defense mainly the DT position far too long.

starfan1

Reaction score
Sign Rivers for a couple of years and move up and get your QB in the draft with a couple of years to develop.
For some here having a Tier 3 QB who can only excel against Dog teams is enough.
Not for myself or true Cowboy fans....team first!
lol and you been pimping this whole elite and improvement agenda. Is he going to step into the way back machine? Is Mr.Peabody and Sherman going to hook him up? You know perhaps Aikman can go with them and come out of the booth.

You anti Dak guys are comical sometimes

visionary

Reaction score
There are 3 QBs better than Prescott in the playoffs right now with the Titans getting hot on defense with a dominating ground game never seen in the NFL post-season.

Yeah, good luck getting to the Super Bowl relying on outliers and a middling QB without an elite defense. Also the Super Bowls since 2010

Brady x3
Rodgers
Eli and Peyton Manning
Flacco
Foles
Wilson

Go look up how Flacco and Foles had to play to get to the Super Bowl. Again, good luck with relying on outliers to win one. Also, good luck paying a middling QB elite QB money and thinking you can get a 2012 Ravens D that sticks around long enough to win one.

this
Just go look at QBs who have won multiple SBs or been to multiple SBs or Conf Championship games, most are what we would call elite

moral of the story is that you can get lucky once in a blue moon with a mediocre QB but to consistently compete at the highest level you have to have an elite QB

the only thing worse than having a mediocre QB is having a mediocre QB getting elite money

Last edited: