The Elite QB Farce

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An unwarranted attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's like you weren't even intelligent enough to read my post and discern what it said.

You have to be beyond petty to go out of your way to be this sad.

You are broad brushing people as "Dak haters" and ASSUMING where the criticism comes from.

The response is warranted.

blumayne38

Reaction score
I've seen so much of that here. "Got to have an elite QB" and "can't get it done without that elite QB".

The only thing I agree with is that the Cowboys do not have an elite QB and he probably won't ever be considered that.

Brady, Brees, Wilson, Jackson, Watson all have been mentioned with as that old guard elite or the new guard. Mahomes is in that group and along with Rodgers, the only ones left in the playoffs and is Rodgers there because he's played elite this season or is it the RB and DE's? And the fact that Brees, Rodgers and Wilson only have one ring doesn't seem to matter.

Did you catch Brees, Jackson, Wilson and Watson trying to lift their teams? Or did you catch Tannehill in his last two playoff games with <200 yards? Which is it better to have? The QB to lift the team or the team to support the QB? Ask Brady, Brees, Wilson, Jackson and Watson.

This is not about Prescott, it is about every team has to build around the QB and Brees, Rodgers and Wilson are proof. Elway was elite and he wouldn't have any rings if not for a HC and RB and an offensive philosophical change..

Roger and Troy had to have teams around them, same with Starr, Bradshaw, Montana and Brady wasn't that bad this season, the team around him wasn't the usual standard.

It's one thing we've seen, different kinds of teams can do it different ways, there isn't just one template. Get that elite QB and ride the wave. This isn't baseball when they can ride a pitcher or two.

I do not think if the Cowboys had any of those elite QB's this season, it would have been much different.
This game revolves around the QB. Although it’s not the only thing that matters in winning a champ. Having a Elite “passer” not “QB” makes you a contender in any game at any level for any situation.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I know, it was actually a very strange attack that came out of the blue. I see what I stated happening all the time.
This illustrates quite clear what I was referring to with regard to a certain crowd being overly negative and miserable.

How many times have you and I gone back and forth disagreeing? Never an issue. I'd share some beers with guys like you and C.C. The downright A-holes? Not so much.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Are you suggesting Prescott was the culprit? All QBs need a team around them. That's how it works.
I’d argue not a good performance in Philly. Several poor throws.

And yes , a good supporting cast is critical. It’s what you do with it that separates the great ones.

I’m not here to bash Dak. I’m here to promote Elite passers.

Reactions: G2

kskboys

Reaction score
You are broad brushing people as "Dak haters" and ASSUMING where the criticism comes from.

The response is warranted.
No, it is not. You've projected your tunnel vision onto a person who was not involved in the completely idiotic Dak is great/Dak sucks debate. I was merely making an observation, and that observation is true w/ most of what I read about Dak on this board.

I also don't agree w/ those who claim Dak is Joe Montana. He is in the 8-15 range of QB's along w/ a bunch of others who are not perfectly talented.

kskboys

Reaction score
This illustrates quite clear what I was referring to with regard to a certain crowd being overly negative and miserable.

How many times have you and I gone back and forth disagreeing? Never an issue. I'd share some beers with guys like you and C.C. The downright A-holes? Not so much.
Absolutely!!!!!!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will say one thing, and this is mostly an unknown about all rookie QB's, that I like about Prescott is his response to when something goes bad. Some young QB's come unglued when the mistakes come and the fact that he only threw 4 picks in his rookie season is one of the more amazing stats I've ever seen. Manning led the league in picks his first two seasons and he was the #1 pick.

Prescott had 11 this season but he threw the ball a lot. Mayfield had 21. Prescott led the NFL in 40+ pass plays and was 3rd in 20+ and was 27th in sacks. That means he was the 6th least sacked QB.

So, when you look at Prescott's and the O's stats, are you left with a puzzled look on your face as I am?

I will say one thing, for such an inaccurate passer, he has some rather impressive stats and I would think his TD to INT ratio would be worse that 30 to 11. And he completed 65% of his passes and had the same ypp as Mahomes.

BTW, that #1 pick in the 2015 draft, the one before Prescott was picked in the 4th round, he had a 33 to 30 ratio. More picks than Prescott has had in a 4 year career. Those #1 pick QB's can be a little dicey.

Ya know the funniest part of all of this. When he was passing for 200 ypg, everyone said that will never fly and this year he tops 300 ypg and the team doesn't do any better. The QB might be the most important part of the team but he is still part of the team.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
So you don't know, got it.

Don’t hold it against me it’s probably just my insecurities and my horrible upbringing

Hurry and round up your gang you’ve got a naysayer here that you need to beat into submission :muttley:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I am just liking the beer part.

Swagger

Reaction score
I think some people are missing the point.

Unless a team has one of the say top 5 quarterbacks in the league (let's go with Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Jackson, Watson) then my view is that you just don't pay a QB after their rookie contract.

4 QBs in conference games: -
Mahomes - cheap contract and elite.
Tannehill - cheap contract
Rodgers - elite
Jimmy G - solid but a QB that I wouldn't have paid. Bit of an anomaly as they have several first/high round picks on the D Line/defense on rookie contracts. So they had the cap space to pay Jimmy G after being such a poor team for several years acquiring and hitting on high draft picks.

Wilson - elite. Just missed out on the NFC Championship game.

So my point is that Prescott isn't elite and I would just move on from him. Draft a 1st round QB and Invest in the team. I say the same about Goff. I would have moved on after his rookie contract and i think his contract along with Gurley has and will continue to knee cap the Rams.

It's not hate just a tactic that will be adopted more by teams in the future. Belichick is itching to do this and will be the first to after Brady goes and will be seen as a pioneer when it's just soooooo obvious!

I don't understand why people cannot see why this isn't hating on Prescott because it's not. All I'm claiming is that he is not an elite QB and never will be one. If people disagree then fair enough!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Don’t hold it against me it’s probably just my insecurities and my horrible upbringing

Hurry and round up your gang you’ve got a naysayer here that you need to beat into submission :muttley:
I agree, it's probably not your fault.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I think some people are missing the point.

Unless a team has one of the say top 5 quarterbacks in the league (let's go with Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Jackson, Watson) then my view is that you just don't pay a QB after their rookie contract.

4 QBs in conference games: -
Mahomes - cheap contract and elite.
Tannehill - cheap contract
Rodgers - elite
Jimmy G - solid but a QB that I wouldn't have paid. Bit of an anomaly as they have several first/high round picks on the D Line/defense on rookie contracts. So they had the cap space to pay Jimmy G after being such a poor team for several years acquiring and hitting on high draft picks.

Wilson - elite. Just missed out on the NFC Championship game.

So my point is that Prescott isn't elite and I would just move on from him. Draft a 1st round QB and Invest in the team. I say the same about Goff. I would have moved on after his rookie contract and i think his contract along with Gurley has and will continue to knee cap the Rams.

It's not hate just a tactic that will be adopted more by teams in the future. Belichick is itching to do this and will be the first to after Brady goes and will be seen as a pioneer when it's just soooooo obvious!

I don't understand why people cannot see why this isn't hating on Prescott because it's not. All I'm claiming is that he is not an elite QB and never will be one. If people disagree then fair enough!
I doubt that tactic will pan out at the QB position, just my opinion.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
No, it is not. You've projected your tunnel vision onto a person who was not involved in the completely idiotic Dak is great/Dak sucks debate. I was merely making an observation, and that observation is true w/ most of what I read about Dak on this board.

I also don't agree w/ those who claim Dak is Joe Montana. He is in the 8-15 range of QB's along w/ a bunch of others who are not perfectly talented.

No, it is not true. Most of this board, most of the criticisms, considers Dak to be mediocre....because he is. What you're stating would make you a "Dak hater".

Swagger

Reaction score
I doubt that tactic will pan out at the QB, just my opinion.

That's fair.

My point is that it refers to the quarterbacks that are not elite. Belichick treats every position the same. He hardly ever pays even his best players after they have finished their rookie contract. Brady was one of the few exceptions because he was elite, at the quarterback position and was for some part of his career, far cheaper than his market value due to external factors.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I see your point here and my only response is that what it will cost to play the game.

To use the house analogy, people don't want to spent 800K on a 1400 sq ft house in San Francisco but if they want a house in San Francisco, that's what they will have to pay.

I look at this as what are the options? There is only one "can't miss" QB in this draft and he's already gone. The 2nd one has a huge * next to injury risk. And 3-6 are all ?'s but team's without one will have to take a chance, the Cowboys are not a team without one.

There is also another element to this that affects my thinking which doesn't affect a lot of my fellow posters here. I don't care about the future beyond this season. I want the best chance to go the farthest in 2020 and Prescott gives that to me better than any QB in this draft except Burrow...maybe. I don't care about the cap and the money part, that's the part of this sport I detest.

I also give Prescott as much credit for some excellent throws as I do blame for some poor ones and not everyone does that. It is as if they're trying to define his career so far with the bad throws. Fine, then let's do that with Romo, Aikman, White, Staubach and Meredith. In fact, that's what the fans did to Meredith and drove him out of the game early. Everything was about what he had not done or done wrong and not enough about what he was doing right.

Do we really care how the money is distributed? They're going to overpay for some and get bargains for the others like all of the other teams. It's all about whether one thinks Prescott is a QB that can lead a team to a championship and I think he can. But then I don't fault him for the shortcomings of this team since he's been the QB.
But we cant look at it as only one “ no miss QB” so we shouldn’t take a chance on other talents who will go in 1st round.

There’s no guarantees . But if you don’t at least try you’ll always end up settling for less.

Rodgers was like a 20th pick in 1st round. Brees an early 2nd round. Doesn’t have to be a top 5 pick .

Often these higher drafteD QB’s go that high because of need from teams not necessarily their talent level.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, it is not true. Most of this board, most of the criticisms, considers Dak to be mediocre....because he is. What you're stating would make you a "Dak hater".
Correct ..

Id agree that most on this forum sentiment that Dak is an average to slightly above average passer.

As always there some extremes on both sides.

The problem is there’s a larger segment of these fans who while admitting Dak is what he is have accepted he’s our guy and presume the rest should accept it. Move on and attempt to resolve other issues.

And that might be fine for some. But that’s what a forum is all about. Presenting the differing arguments .

Kwyn

Reaction score
I have been on record many times as saying we should either do whatever we need to do to trade up to take a run at Joe Burrow, who I think would be absolutely electric in our offense, or find a stopgap free agent such as a Fitzpatrick etc. who can get us by for a couple years until we can find a long-term solution.

There’s almost 0 doubt in my mind Ryan Fitzpatrick could’ve gotten us to 8-8 this year at a fraction of the price Dak is asking to be paid

We have one of the best offensive lines in the game, one of the best running backs in the game and a very good corps of receivers

This team is absolutely loaded With skill position talent. There are a litany of quarterbacks out there that could’ve gotten us to a . 500 record At a hell of a lot less than $35-$40 million per year
The problem is, you can’t just go grab whatever QB you think is cheaper but equal in skill year after year (Fitzpatrick in your example). That type of constant disruption is a sure fire way to complete erode anything you’re trying to build

you mentioned another of the common calls “do whatever it takes to get Burrow”

that would take a minimum of three number ones and quite likely 2’s and 3’s as well. That’s assuming we have cowboy range 1st rounders (#17 this year)

is that acceptable to you as part of the “do whatever it take” strategy?

If so, ok, please show how you plan to go g eat two more mid round or better 1st round picks to go with our own to shop to Cincinnati.

keep in mind the Bengals are desperate for a QB and won’t likely be interested in anything less than a Herschel Walker On Steroids type of deal