The Elite QB Farce

Diehardblues

Reaction score
this
Just go look at QBs who have won multiple SBs or been to multiple SBs or Conf Championship games, most are what we would call elite

moral of the story is that you can get lucky once in a blue moon with a mediocre QB but to consistently compete at the highest level you have to have an elite QB

the only thing worse than having a mediocre QB is having a mediocre QB getting elite money
Yep

I hope Dak ends up being enough to lead us to a Super Bowl. And he becomes another name on the list of QB’s with a Ring that wasn’t Elite.

In the meantime. He’s fair game like anyone else would be.

starfan1

Reaction score
I’m an Anti Jerry and Anti losing in general guy.

Ive supported Dak while pointing out his weaknesses along with our other weaknesses including defensively. But I’m not going to Slobber over a QB who isn’t an Elite passer without having more success when the season is on the line.

This thread is about Elite QB’s. You want to start a thread about our defenses shortfalls. Be my guest.

That it is! Campaign on
Whatever...

A message board is to present your opinion. Nobody cares if everyone agrees.

Ya it is over and over when your answer has been given to you.
Is this the same guy who was spouting that Troy was only 1st round QB we’ve had. ? Lol
Thats a good comeback. hang on to that as you campaign. Ill sit back and enjoy it especially as #4 is behind center.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Do you have proof the person you quoted isn't consistent? People love the very lazy people do this and don't do this but have no proof the actual person your posting to has done such.
No, hence the word “many” instead of “you”. And yes I love to be lazy and make fun of Romo fans in general. If that bothers you, good!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That it is! Campaign on

Ya it is over and over when your answer has been given to you.

Thats a good comeback. hang on to that as you campaign. Ill sit back and enjoy it especially as #4 is behind center.
We’ll see how many seasons you enjoy missing the playoffs as we continue this Mediocre era of Cowboys Football.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
We’ll see how many seasons you enjoy missing the playoffs as we continue this Mediocre era of Cowboys Football.

Some fans embrace losing more than others. Lol

Which is only going to get worse as the "franchise" QB is eating up 25-28% of the cap, instead of about 1-2% like he did this year.
How many of the supporting case keeping him afloat go bye bye under that scenario.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
No, hence the word “many” instead of “you”. And yes I love to be lazy and make fun of Romo fans in general. If that bothers you, good!
I can see you like to be lazy and most likely your life reflects this. You not doing nothing with your life because of laziness doesn't bother me but it should you. I was just pointing out your laziness but since you're aware of what you are I have nothing else to say on it.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I can see you like to be lazy and most likely your life reflects this. You not doing nothing with your life because of laziness doesn't bother me but it should you. I was just pointing out your laziness but since you're aware of what you are I have nothing else to say on it.
The resident psychologist tries to strike again! :lmao::lmao:
Are you going to try and guess the size of my home next?

starfan1

Reaction score

Hes 2 for 4 50% and it probably wasn't completely him why they made it and certainly wasn't him completely why they didn't. Ill enjoy the ride regardless outside of a couple minor outburst I have had at my TV its just not that serious. I take Jerry's buffoonery with a grain of salt and move on.

No more Garrett is a good thing well be in the playoffs next year with dak

keysersoze

Reaction score
Campaigning? To who us fellow message board folks? Dang my bad! all this time I have mistook what you and a few others have been doing thread after thread about Dak as a total whine-fest. How silly of me now that I know you were campaigning I can look at this completely different. Cause we here on this board have so much control.
Hahahahaha!!!! Is this guy and his cronies passing a petition around or something? LOL. This right here tells us all we need to know about the mindsets of these fans. It’s sickening for real. He’s actually calling himself CAMPAIGNING against Dak because he doesn’t like him. Wow!!! That is some deep rooted bs for ya.

dfense

Reaction score
Yes, it's possible, with a great defense, a great run game and the moon aligning with Mars to win with a QB like Dak who can't throw a variety of passes to win a SB. I agree.

So the Cowboys are screwed for at least 5 more years. Look at the bright side, there is a bunch of new coaches on the team that can start taking the blame now.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Which is only going to get worse as the "franchise" QB is eating up 25-28% of the cap, instead of about 1-2% like he did this year.
How many of the supporting case keeping him afloat go bye bye under that scenario.

25% is stretching it.

the cap will be close to 200 mil next year.

If Dak had a cap hit of 33 million. That would be 16.5% of the cap.

We have to be realistic and look at the actual cap figures of a lot of these contracts. Even a contract that “averages” 33 mil a year, doesn’t have cap hits that high until later in the deal. When the cap is even higher. So the % Of cap can stay relatively the same.

We also can’t forget that during Dak’s first 3 seasons. The cowboys were already dealing with high cap figures from Romo’s contract. Yes Dak was cheap. But his rookie season the cowboys were paying Romo. Who was still on the team.

the second and third seasons, they also had dead money from Romo’s contract after they cut him.

The reality is, the cowboys have been dealing with high dollar QB cap hits for 3 out of Dak’s 4 seasons in the league so far.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He was surrounded with a great offense for most of 4 years. If you’re happy with that then you’ll find every reason to defend it.

I want more and willing to risk whatever this is for it. Which at the moment is a non playoff team.

Tag Dak if you must but please draft a QB in first round so we have options. Worse case scenario we have an improved backup or even trade bait in coming years.

For once this frikin era use a top pick for a damn QB.

Since I know you love Wentz, what has he done in four years?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Russell Wilson who has the richest contract in nfl history.

In 2019 his cap hit was 14% of the cap.

next season his cap hit is 31 million. If the cap rises to the projected 200 million. That makes his cap hit 15.5% of the cap.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Always the poor examples. Why not Goff or Carson that year?

How about Mahomes? How about Darnold? How about Baker? Set our sites higher. Imagine a more Elite Qb and prolific passer in this offense.

There's some prospects in this draft.

I’m tired of not having one of the best. Can we at least try to draft an elite QB in the first round in the next 10 years. Lol

Ha, you said Baker. You cannot, with a good concious, say Dak is bad, then mention Baker as being elite. Please, stop posting.

kskboys

Reaction score
Out of the 5 QBs you mentioned; one of them is better than Dak.
Mostly, people are biased. That comes primarily from deciding that Dak sucks. Sooooo, they watch Dak w/ a microscope and every time he's 6 inches off w/ a throw, they nod at how inaccurate he is. Meanwhile, they watch the highlights of other QB's and compare Dak's bad throws to others' good throws. It's really funny, actually.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Russell Wilson who has the richest contract in nfl history.

In 2019 his cap hit was 14% of the cap.

next season his cap hit is 31 million. If the cap rises to the projected 200 million. That makes his cap hit 15.5% of the cap.

Okay then I stand corrected. However it does not change my opinion. Even if Dak is only eating up 20% of the cap give or take that's still way too much for what he brings to the table in my opinion but I do acknowledge that my figures were off earlier and my apologies

HungryLion

Reaction score
Okay then I stand corrected. However it does not change my opinion. Even if Dak is only eating up 20% of the cap give or take that's still way too much for what he brings to the table in my opinion but I do acknowledge that my figures were off earlier and my apologies

no need to apologize. Just wanted to paint a picture.

It’s fair to believe that’s still too much cap space for a QB of his skill level.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always find it interesting how in these types of scenarios people point out other draft mistakes other teams have made and how we don’t want to emulate that

But if you point out the litany of mistakes teams have made recently signing mediocre young quarterbacks to big time deals, for example Jared Goff with the Rams or Carson Wentz with the Eagles, And people still act like signing Prescott to a “market value” contract is the only tenable option on the table and that anything else is just ridiculously stupid

I’m not saying you are saying that KSK but that is the mindset of an awful lot of people on this board and it just doesn’t make any sense to me. A lot of people act like signing Dak to a big-time contractors a sure thing. I mean we don’t even need to look to other teams quarterback situations. We can look at our own team in recent years of guys having a big season in a contract year and we pay them a huge deal and it almost never pans out. What in the world has convinced people that this is going to be the magic time when it actually works? LOL
Not a sure thing by any stretch to me.

It all comes down to what we know about him and what we don't know about the others and what available options are there? If this was a situation where the Cowboys are sitting in a better position to go for a possible elite future QB like Tua, this would be a different discussion.

It is unlikely that we do not have to offer some draft capital to move up to get a guy like Eason. So we use our first on a QB and probably have to give up our 2nd or maybe even 3rd as well, this depends on what other teams are offering just like in losing that trade up for Lynch. Now, what happens if they let the WR1 and/or the CB1 walk?

The needs of the team, once the FA is over and heading into the draft, must be assessed and I see a lot of holes on that D side already without the CB1 being gone.

BFL, this all comes down to one thing for me. Do we think the QB was the reason for this team not performing better? Because I seem to remember a lot of posters laying that all on the coaching. I look at the playoff losses since Prescott has been here and I can't lay one on him. He had to fight his butt off just to keep up, because of poor D play against GB and LAR.

I ask myself is Dak Prescott good enough to keep the Cowboys in true contention with a consistently sound D? The answer is yes but not keeping him and going for an elite QB will stifle that.