The Elite QB Farce

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, it is not. You've projected your tunnel vision onto a person who was not involved in the completely idiotic Dak is great/Dak sucks debate. I was merely making an observation, and that observation is true w/ most of what I read about Dak on this board.

I also don't agree w/ those who claim Dak is Joe Montana. He is in the 8-15 range of QB's along w/ a bunch of others who are not perfectly talented.
And that’s a fine opinion. I’m probably closer to the lower end of that. 15th ranked QB doesn’t tickle my fancy. Can we win with that. Probably. Other teams have championships with that level of QB.

But we all don’t have to follow the same course of reasoning. While I respect and aren’t that far off from your reasoning I still will campaign for a greater QB because I’m not sold this organization can build a great enough team to overcome the lack of having a less than Elite passer.

We didn’t with Romo who I considered a better passer and thus far have little faith we can with Dak. It appears unreasonable to me to expect everyone to fall in line with everyone’s reasoning. And say we can’t have normal discussions. Your normal might not be my normal, etc.

The QB position is sensitive to some much like we saw with Romo but to insist that anyone who brings criticism or simply wanting more is a Dak hater is attempting to lessen their message by lumping them in with others by discrediting them personally.

If it’s a subject you have no patience for because of these extremes on both sides that taint the discussion for you otherwise , then I’d suggest to stay away from such threads or just state your spill and walk away.

You’re one of my favorite follows and always admire your thoughts and want to hear them but we shouldn't attempt to line everyone up together simply cause we disagree. This is just a fan forum. Good grief. Lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think some people are missing the point.

Unless a team has one of the say top 5 quarterbacks in the league (let's go with Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Jackson, Watson) then my view is that you just don't pay a QB after their rookie contract.

4 QBs in conference games: -
Mahomes - cheap contract and elite.
Tannehill - cheap contract
Rodgers - elite
Jimmy G - solid but a QB that I wouldn't have paid. Bit of an anomaly as they have several first/high round picks on the D Line/defense on rookie contracts. So they had the cap space to pay Jimmy G after being such a poor team for several years acquiring and hitting on high draft picks.

Wilson - elite. Just missed out on the NFC Championship game.

So my point is that Prescott isn't elite and I would just move on from him. Draft a 1st round QB and Invest in the team. I say the same about Goff. I would have moved on after his rookie contract and i think his contract along with Gurley has and will continue to knee cap the Rams.

It's not hate just a tactic that will be adopted more by teams in the future. Belichick is itching to do this and will be the first to after Brady goes and will be seen as a pioneer when it's just soooooo obvious!

I don't understand why people cannot see why this isn't hating on Prescott because it's not. All I'm claiming is that he is not an elite QB and never will be one. If people disagree then fair enough!
The challenge with that is the learning curve, if they pick a winner. Teams do not have a tendency to change QB's every 4-5 years.

You mentioned Rodgers, he sat for 3 years before he played.

Kwyn

Reaction score
this
Just go look at QBs who have won multiple SBs or been to multiple SBs or Conf Championship games, most are what we would call elite

moral of the story is that you can get lucky once in a blue moon with a mediocre QB but to consistently compete at the highest level you have to have an elite QB

the only thing worse than having a mediocre QB is having a mediocre QB getting elite money

I have a third “worse” for you

signing a mediocre free agent for “cheap” every year or two and watch that person fail tO become “elite” . Also watch them be slow to pick up the offense and fail to gain command of the room in a single training camp before you need them to start the season

wait, here’s one more

draft a mid first round “best QB available” and watch him be a bust like the vast majority of mid first QB’s

and one last one
Mortgage the draft future by sending 3 or 4 first round picks to try and get the #1 overall and watch that player turn out to be Jared Goff

Kwyn

Reaction score
When we had Staubach and Aikman I don’t recall drooling over anyone.
A number one overall and a 10th round pick we waited four years to arrive because of his military commitment

show me the recipe to get the #1 overall pick and I will be more than happy to weight the cost and get on board your train

kskboys

Reaction score
And that’s a fine opinion. I’m probably closer to the lower end of that. 15th ranked QB doesn’t tickle my fancy. Can we win with that. Probably. Other teams have championships with that level of QB.

But we all don’t have to follow the same course of reasoning. While I respect and aren’t that far off from your reasoning I still will campaign for a greater QB because I’m not sold this organization can build a great enough team to overcome the lack of having a less than Elite passer.

We didn’t with Romo who I considered a better passer and thus far have little faith we can with Dak. It appears unreasonable to me to expect everyone to fall in line with everyone’s reasoning. And say we can’t have normal discussions. Your normal might not be my normal, etc.

The QB position is sensitive to some much like we saw with Romo but to insist that anyone who brings criticism or simply wanting more is a Dak hater is attempting to lessen their message by lumping them in with others by discrediting them personally.

If it’s a subject you have no patience for because of these extremes on both sides that taint the discussion for you otherwise , then I’d suggest to stay away from such threads or just state your spill and walk away.

You’re one of my favorite follows and always admire your thoughts and want to hear them but we shouldn't attempt to line everyone up together simply cause we disagree. This is just a fan forum. Good grief. Lol
Yup. I was already thinking it was a mistake to enter a Dak thread to begin w/. Too much polarization.

Kwyn

Reaction score
The problem here is the same as it was on DC.com concerning the QB when it was Romo. Everyone must declare and then stand ready to defend yourself. And it turned into name calling and petty fights, just as it has in this thread.

I was in the middle on Romo, just as I am on Prescott, but some still weren't happy with that and tried to get me to declare. There also seems to be this notion that anyone who was a Romo fan immediately had to be anti Prescott because he took his job. The camps flip flopped, that is all. One has nothing to do with the other.

There are good reasons to keep Prescott and to look for another QB, one that we feel is better. I see both sides, without the anger. Good points on both sides of this when they don't get emotional about it..or attacked.

I watched Dak play his last two seasons at Miss St so I had some knowledge coming in with him. I knew his story but when that same story from high school and college repeated itself with the Cowboys, I was blown away. I asked myself 'how can this be?' I've never seen anything like this in all of my years. He can't beat the QB1 out but once he takes over, it's as if he always had the job. His predilection for leading a football team is among the very best I have ever seen and he's willing to give up his body on any play to help his team. And they know that.

The one word that comes to mind when I consider Dak Prescott is doubt. Don't doubt him, don't doubt what drives him because it is a force and most of all doubt my own opinion formed whenever I see him throw a bad pass. Other QB's can be off but not Dak, every pass has to be dead on or he's flawed. Because there are people that have coached and played that game that know a hell of a lot more about it than I do that think he's special and can be even more special and two of them are the QB's we wish he were. Roger and Troy, they don't have doubt.

It's not as simple as a bird in the hand because there are a lot more than two in the bush that don't work out or are not as effective as he is. When you find your QB, you stop looking. I believe they believe they've found him and if they do extend him, the new HC thinks so as well and he's had 3 really special QB's to coach in his career.

Opinions. Can we agree we all have them but we also retain the right to change them without catching any grief?
Great post. Thanks for contributing

sean10mm

Reaction score
I mean, I can respect if you just want to purge the QB depth chart every year or two until you get a clone of Tom Brady because anything less than THE ABSOLUTE ELITE is unacceptable... provided you accept the logical fallout from that of going 3-13 over and over until you do.

I can't respect people who look at Dak and can't tell the difference between him and Nathan Peterman tier absolute omni-failures. They're just clowns.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A number one overall and a 10th round pick we waited four years to arrive because of his military commitment

show me the recipe to get the #1 overall pick and I will be more than happy to weight the cost and get on board your train
Don’t need the overall #1 pick. Just a higher pick than we’ve used this era proves higher returns.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Actually I’m not a big fan of Wentz. He appears to be a greater passer but has other flaws.

Dak is serviceable . He just needs to much around him.

A #1 offense and top 10 defense wasn’t enough to even beat the Egirls. That’s pitiful.

How did that top ten defense, special teams, and other players perform. Dak, along with the rest of the team, stunk all year. You continue to blame one individual.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How did that top ten defense, special teams, and other players perform. Dak, along with the rest of the team, stunk all year. You continue to blame one individual.
We are talking QB’s in this thread. Obviously there were other contributing factors.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Are you suggesting Prescott was the culprit? All QBs need a team around them. That's how it works.

Some of this drivel, is fascinating to read. It doesn't matter how many people say that, "Brady had no help", they are liars.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
That's fair.

My point is that it refers to the quarterbacks that are not elite. Belichick treats every position the same. He hardly ever pays even his best players after they have finished their rookie contract. Brady was one of the few exceptions because he was elite, at the quarterback position and was for some part of his career, far cheaper than his market value due to external factors.
No disrespect. I totally get your take. You raise an interesting viewpoint. I'm in Bills country, so I have an appreciation for NE. I don't like them; in some ways by default I route against them, but as a fan NOT in the North East, Bill is a freak. Arguably one of the best ever.
I think you could reasonably draft a RB every 4 years, I just don't know that you have the same rate of immediate success.

Remember after Aikman left and before we got a gem in Romo? That was a really bad time. QBs are hard to get.

That all being said, and speaking about NE, Brady is 13th @ $23,000,000.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that as well. I always prefer to be disdained by the dregs of society
All good. I don't expect everyone to be a fan.
Correct ..

Id agree that most on this forum sentiment that Dak is an average to slightly above average passer.

As always there some extremes on both sides.

The problem is there’s a larger segment of these fans who while admitting Dak is what he is have accepted he’s our guy and presume the rest should accept it. Move on and attempt to resolve other issues.

And that might be fine for some. But that’s what a forum is all about. Presenting the differing arguments .
Tony Robbins?
:grin:

Kwyn

Reaction score
Don’t need the overall #1 pick. Just a higher pick than we’ve used this era proves higher returns.
In thread after thread I keep seeing you make similar comments which amount to

More
Better
Higher
Faster

Saying you are dissatisfied is fine. Saying you don’t agree with the teams plans are fine. But, if you’re going to post in a thread that has turned into another Dak thread, it would really help contribute to the discussion if you would offer any real suggestions on *how* the Cowboys should go about achieving these things that you feel are so important.

I’m definitely not trying to be insulting but if you don’t have any ideas, that’s fine. It’s perfectly ok to just say “ARGH THIS SUCKS!!!” just don’t expect other posters to really understand your position.

cern

Reaction score
The challenge with that is the learning curve, if they pick a winner. Teams do not have a tendency to change QB's every 4-5 years.

You mentioned Rodgers, he sat for 3 years before he played.
Learning curve, coaching, schemes. All play a role in a qb's development.