The Elite QB Farce

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Not a sure thing by any stretch to me.

It all comes down to what we know about him and what we don't know about the others and what available options are there? If this was a situation where the Cowboys are sitting in a better position to go for a possible elite future QB like Tua, this would be a different discussion.

It is unlikely that we do not have to offer some draft capital to move up to get a guy like Eason. So we use our first on a QB and probably have to give up our 2nd or maybe even 3rd as well, this depends on what other teams are offering just like in losing that trade up for Lynch. Now, what happens if they let the WR1 and/or the CB1 walk?

The needs of the team, once the FA is over and heading into the draft, must be assessed and I see a lot of holes on that D side already without the CB1 being gone.

BFL, this all comes down to one thing for me. Do we think the QB was the reason for this team not performing better? Because I seem to remember a lot of posters laying that all on the coaching. I look at the playoff losses since Prescott has been here and I can't lay one on him. He had to fight his butt off just to keep up, because of poor D play against GB and LAR.

I ask myself is Dak Prescott good enough to keep the Cowboys in true contention with a consistently sound D? The answer is yes but not keeping him and going for an elite QB will stifle that.

I don’t agree with all of that but that’s a pretty reasonable assessment CC

my biggest concern with your thought process here is your closing quarterback. If we pay Dak $35 million plus per year, what are the odds that we have a consistently sound defense?

As much as I’m not a fan of Dak it’s the potential price tag that’s as big or bigger sticking point for me

nothing I’ve seen tells me he’s worth that much and that’s what worries me

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Mostly, people are biased. That comes primarily from deciding that Dak sucks. Sooooo, they watch Dak w/ a microscope and every time he's 6 inches off w/ a throw, they nod at how inaccurate he is. Meanwhile, they watch the highlights of other QB's and compare Dak's bad throws to others' good throws. It's really funny, actually.
It's actually true. The bad passes get brought up often, but not the fact that we led the NFL in drops. You have to consider both.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem here is the same as it was on DC.com concerning the QB when it was Romo. Everyone must declare and then stand ready to defend yourself. And it turned into name calling and petty fights, just as it has in this thread.

I was in the middle on Romo, just as I am on Prescott, but some still weren't happy with that and tried to get me to declare. There also seems to be this notion that anyone who was a Romo fan immediately had to be anti Prescott because he took his job. The camps flip flopped, that is all. One has nothing to do with the other.

There are good reasons to keep Prescott and to look for another QB, one that we feel is better. I see both sides, without the anger. Good points on both sides of this when they don't get emotional about it..or attacked.

I watched Dak play his last two seasons at Miss St so I had some knowledge coming in with him. I knew his story but when that same story from high school and college repeated itself with the Cowboys, I was blown away. I asked myself 'how can this be?' I've never seen anything like this in all of my years. He can't beat the QB1 out but once he takes over, it's as if he always had the job. His predilection for leading a football team is among the very best I have ever seen and he's willing to give up his body on any play to help his team. And they know that.

The one word that comes to mind when I consider Dak Prescott is doubt. Don't doubt him, don't doubt what drives him because it is a force and most of all doubt my own opinion formed whenever I see him throw a bad pass. Other QB's can be off but not Dak, every pass has to be dead on or he's flawed. Because there are people that have coached and played that game that know a hell of a lot more about it than I do that think he's special and can be even more special and two of them are the QB's we wish he were. Roger and Troy, they don't have doubt.

It's not as simple as a bird in the hand because there are a lot more than two in the bush that don't work out or are not as effective as he is. When you find your QB, you stop looking. I believe they believe they've found him and if they do extend him, the new HC thinks so as well and he's had 3 really special QB's to coach in his career.

Opinions. Can we agree we all have them but we also retain the right to change them without catching any grief?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ha, you said Baker. You cannot, with a good concious, say Dak is bad, then mention Baker as being elite. Please, stop posting.
I think Baker has more upside in his passing ability.

Dak is a fairly good QB not a great passer. Hopefully fans recognize the difference.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Since I know you love Wentz, what has he done in four years?
Actually I’m not a big fan of Wentz. He appears to be a greater passer but has other flaws.

Dak is serviceable . He just needs to much around him.

A #1 offense and top 10 defense wasn’t enough to even beat the Egirls. That’s pitiful.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t agree with all of that but that’s a pretty reasonable assessment CC

my biggest concern with your thought process here is your closing quarterback. If we pay Dak $35 million plus per year, what are the odds that we have a consistently sound defense?

As much as I’m not a fan of Dak it’s the potential price tag that’s as big or bigger sticking point for me

nothing I’ve seen tells me he’s worth that much and that’s what worries me
I remove the comparison models of Rodgers and Wilson in that salary range and think about the market value and where it's headed. The QB position is outpacing the cap increase and it wasn't that long ago we were discussing 19M as a high price for a QB. And this is without what Mahomes, Jackson and Watson will do to it.

In trying to decide on whether to keep Prescott or try for that blue chipper, I remove the money and just apply what he's done for the team on the field. The money will work itself out over time, we're just in sticker shock at 35M because that's what Wilson is getting. I think more of those QB's that aren't even as good as Prescott and what they will be making and just because of that's the established market for a QB1. It's not a comparative value thing, it's the price to pay and it's only going up.

Reactions: G2

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I remove the comparison models of Rodgers and Wilson in that salary range and think about the market value and where it's headed. The QB position is outpacing the cap increase and it wasn't that long ago we were discussing 19M as a high price for a QB. And this is without what Mahomes, Jackson and Watson will do to it.

In trying to decide on whether to keep Prescott or try for that blue chipper, I remove the money and just apply what he's done for the team on the field. The money will work itself out over time, we're just in sticker shock at 35M because that's what Wilson is getting. I think more of those QB's that aren't even as good as Prescott and what they will be making and just because of that's the established market for a QB1. It's not a comparative value thing, it's the price to pay and it's only going up.

but this is one reason that I shy away from the “market value” argument

none of us will ever be a GM for a football team negotiating a high dollar contract but I’m pretty sure most of us on this board either own or at one time have owned a home

When it is a sellers market and home prices are artificially inflated, sometimes people panic and overspend on a home and end up regretting it later even though they paid “market value”

If you are investing that kind of money in a quarterback that I think it could be reasonably viewed as a similar type investment. Do you want to make that type of long-term high dollar investment in something that you’re not 100% sure of and could end up biting you in the rear end, simply because that’s what the market commands?

I mean even though I’m not a Prescott fan I have less push back against the argument from people that say he’s worth $40 million because he’s that good. What really gets my skepticism up is when people say we don’t have any choice but to pay him because that’s what the market commands. Personally I just don’t buy into that type of thinking or logic Because it usually comes back to haunt you and we are even seeing evidence of that on a smaller scale with the Crawford and Lawrence contracts, and those guys are getting paid peanuts compared to what Dak is asking for

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually I’m not a big fan of Wentz. He appears to be a greater passer but has other flaws.
I will take Prescott over Wentz all day. I will also take him over Goff, Lynch, Cook and every other QB taken ahead of him.

And here's the rub. All of those QB's were rated ahead of him and one that a team traded up for in that 1st round is a total bust. There are QB's rated in the top 5 in this draft that will not be as good as Prescott. Care to take a chance on which one(s).

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The problem here is the same as it was on DC.com concerning the QB when it was Romo. Everyone must declare and then stand ready to defend yourself. And it turned into name calling and petty fights, just as it has in this thread.

I was in the middle on Romo, just as I am on Prescott, but some still weren't happy with that and tried to get me to declare. There also seems to be this notion that anyone who was a Romo fan immediately had to be anti Prescott because he took his job. The camps flip flopped, that is all. One has nothing to do with the other.

There are good reasons to keep Prescott and to look for another QB, one that we feel is better. I see both sides, without the anger. Good points on both sides of this when they don't get emotional about it..or attacked.

I watched Dak play his last two seasons at Miss St so I had some knowledge coming in with him. I knew his story but when that same story from high school and college repeated itself with the Cowboys, I was blown away. I asked myself 'how can this be?' I've never seen anything like this in all of my years. He can't beat the QB1 out but once he takes over, it's as if he always had the job. His predilection for leading a football team is among the very best I have ever seen and he's willing to give up his body on any play to help his team. And they know that.

The one word that comes to mind when I consider Dak Prescott is doubt. Don't doubt him, don't doubt what drives him because it is a force and most of all doubt my own opinion formed whenever I see him throw a bad pass. Other QB's can be off but not Dak, every pass has to be dead on or he's flawed. Because there are people that have coached and played that game that know a hell of a lot more about it than I do that think he's special and can be even more special and two of them are the QB's we wish he were. Roger and Troy, they don't have doubt.

It's not as simple as a bird in the hand because there are a lot more than two in the bush that don't work out or are not as effective as he is. When you find your QB, you stop looking. I believe they believe they've found him and if they do extend him, the new HC thinks so as well and he's had 3 really special QB's to coach in his career.

Opinions. Can we agree we all have them but we also retain the right to change them without catching any grief?
I'm a fan of any Dallas player and typically when it comes to Prescott, I'm not that negative. Because he's a pretty good QB. So because I don't blame him for World hunger idiots here throw the homer label on and are jerks when you call out the nonsense. Same with Romo, but for some reason AFTER he retired he was propelled into legendary status and is afforded excuses that Prescott isn't. It's pathetic.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Dak is serviceable . He just needs to much around him.

A #1 offense and top 10 defense wasn’t enough to even beat the Egirls. That’s pitiful.
Are you suggesting Prescott was the culprit? All QBs need a team around them. That's how it works.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

none of us will ever be a GM for a football team negotiating a high dollar contract but I’m pretty sure most of us on this board either own or at one time have owned a home

When it is a sellers market and home prices are artificially inflated, sometimes people panic and overspend on a home and end up regretting it later even though they paid “market value”

If you are investing that kind of money in a quarterback that I think it could be reasonably viewed as a similar type investment. Do you want to make that type of long-term high dollar investment in something that you’re not 100% sure of and could end up biting you in the rear end, simply because that’s what the market commands?

I mean even though I’m not a Prescott fan I have less push back against the argument from people that say he’s worth $40 million because he’s that good. What really gets my skepticism up is when people say we don’t have any choice but to pay him because that’s what the market commands. Personally I just don’t buy into that type of thinking or logic Because it usually comes back to haunt you and we are even seeing evidence of that on a smaller scale with the Crawford and Lawrence contracts, and those guys are getting paid peanuts compared to what Dak is asking for
That's what some fans don't get. YOU may not be 100%, but the franchise doesn't care and are more than likely 100% in on extending Prescott.
Also, where is it stated how much Prescott is asking for? Just curious.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
That's what some fans don't get. YOU may not be 100%, but the franchise doesn't care and are more than likely 100% in on extending Prescott.

My bad I thought this was an Internet message board where people were free to discuss such things

nope, on second thought I’m convinced it’s an Internet message board where people are free to discuss such things. So I’ll probably continue to discuss it. :laugh:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
My bad I thought this was an Internet message board where people were free to discuss such things

nope, on second thought I’m convinced it’s an Internet message board where people are free to discuss such things. So I’ll probably continue to discuss it. :laugh:
So you don't know, got it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I see your point here and my only response is that what it will cost to play the game.

To use the house analogy, people don't want to spent 800K on a 1400 sq ft house in San Francisco but if they want a house in San Francisco, that's what they will have to pay.

I look at this as what are the options? There is only one "can't miss" QB in this draft and he's already gone. The 2nd one has a huge * next to injury risk. And 3-6 are all ?'s but team's without one will have to take a chance, the Cowboys are not a team without one.

There is also another element to this that affects my thinking which doesn't affect a lot of my fellow posters here. I don't care about the future beyond this season. I want the best chance to go the farthest in 2020 and Prescott gives that to me better than any QB in this draft except Burrow...maybe. I don't care about the cap and the money part, that's the part of this sport I detest.

I also give Prescott as much credit for some excellent throws as I do blame for some poor ones and not everyone does that. It is as if they're trying to define his career so far with the bad throws. Fine, then let's do that with Romo, Aikman, White, Staubach and Meredith. In fact, that's what the fans did to Meredith and drove him out of the game early. Everything was about what he had not done or done wrong and not enough about what he was doing right.

Do we really care how the money is distributed? They're going to overpay for some and get bargains for the others like all of the other teams. It's all about whether one thinks Prescott is a QB that can lead a team to a championship and I think he can. But then I don't fault him for the shortcomings of this team since he's been the QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
Stop talking out of your ***, as always.
Check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An unwarranted attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's like you weren't even intelligent enough to read my post and discern what it said.

You have to be beyond petty to go out of your way to be this sad.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An unwarranted attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's like you weren't even intelligent enough to read my post and discern what it said.

The irony is that your post he responded to was accurate, lol

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stop talking out of your ***, as always.
He's actually typing out of his *** and I'd say damn well. When I do that, I get ikolde'JRGMraP:LOEDjamrkgDL:.

Can't you debate a point without insulting another poster? Disagreement doesn't mean being disagreeable.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No, for some, any attack is warranted. That's the natural response for some. I hope some people are not like they present themselves here in real life. Maybe some just use this as a release point?

kskboys

Reaction score

No.

Wish we could, but, no.

I"m not even taking sides and I'm getting attacked.