The Elite QB Farce

keysersoze

Reaction score
Then we’ll tag him twice but your argument that we can’t pay Dak and fix the other issues is horseshat cause they can.
At least in one of my conversations with you, you’ve at least admitted you can’t stand him stick to it .

I honestly don’t care but Daks going to be here whether you like him or not
Exactly!!! This guy hates Dak with a passion. Why? Only he can tell you that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Did you give up on Romo after 4 seasons?
I was a critic of Romo too. And I haven’t given up on Dak. Just not sold he’s enough. I wasnt sure Romo was enough either although he did carry a lesser team.

By the time we finally surrounded him with a decent team again he was battered. And I think we should have fielded him again. But that’s why we made the change is we weren’t totally sold on him.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you have incompetent below average coaching an average QB is the best you can hope for.

So, you aren't a Romo fan? Romo is the perfect example of a great Qb hindered by poor coaching. He would have been a first ballot HOF QB if he had a Jimmy Johnson on the sideline.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Elite has nothing to do with whether a QB is a game manager, gunslinger, or improviser. Elite is used to say you are good at whatever type game you play.

All of then are game manager to a great degree. Some due to mindset, some due to system.

Crunch time is going to tell you what type QB you have.

Does he take the safe throw, the check down, the dump off and wait for the next play? (game manager)
Does he stand in and force the ball deep trying to make a play? (gunslinger)
Does he run around keeping his eyes downfield trying to make the best play he can? (improviser)

A game manager needs a superior run game and defense, no question about it.
The other two need a defense just good enough to keep them in the game where they have a chance to win it.

Game managers won't go halfcocked. They play it by the book. Their primary concern is not to put the team in a hole. Take care of the ball. Keep the chains moving. He's not a playmaker, he lets the playmakers make the plays. Wide receivers in this system post consistent numbers, but rarely qualify as game changers.

A gunslinger is not worried about down and distance or picks. He's fun to watch. He's trying to win. He will force the ball downfield. He's expected to be a playmaker, and the guy the team rallies around when they are down. WR with these QBs get a lot of press and accolades for the yards, touchdowns, and receptions but none of the flack for the picks and bad throws.

An improviser is not going to make any major mental mistakes but he will go downfield if the opportunity presents itself. He's a playmaker. He puts himself in the position to win and takes the best possible shots he's given. WRs are the same as with gunslinger types.

I think we all consider Drew Brees Elite. But Brees has a gunslinger mentality. He's an extremely accurate downfield passer, but not likely to challenge double coverage as, say, Aaron Rodgers would.

Tom Brady was considered a game manager a few years back and yet he has gunslinger tendencies while being a pure pocket passer. Rather than run he hits the deck and curls up around the ball (my first thought was like a baby).

Rothlisberger was an improviser in past years. He uses his feet to buy time and go downfield. Tony Romo, and of course, Rodgers.

Some QBs, (Tannenhill) don't have that quality to flip off the game manager switch. And what is Tennessee winning with? A bruising running game and defense that is shutting opponents down.

Dak needs to find that game manager switch this year. And figure out what he wants to be.
Great post!

Legend

Reaction score
Then we’ll tag him twice but your argument that we can’t pay Dak and fix the other issues is horseshat cause they can.
At least in one of my conversations with you, you’ve at least admitted you can’t stand him stick to it .

1. Greatly improve defense, special teams, and OL scheme.

2. Get Zeke in shape with more endurance.

3. Bring back 2016 bus driving Dak (focused on winning) instead of 2019 poor man’s Mahomes Dak (focused on stats and receiving highest paid QB contract)

starfan1

Reaction score
Exactly!!! This guy hates Dak with a passion. Why? Only he can tell you that.

he’s not alone some of it is because they were huge Romo fans some of it because Dak was unable to carry the team when zeke was suspended but fail to acknowledge all the other things that happened with injuries etc
They hid behind stats with Tony but they mean jack with Dak

I just want Dak to fix the crossing route inaccuracy but he’s improved a lot

Rayman70

Reaction score
is ELI Elite??? NOPE...but the sports media treats him as tho he is. WHY? Because he won a ring. Funny...all the Dak haters will vanish if he drives the team to a SB win...its just the way it is. ELITE is way overused and misused. Dan Marino was the true def. of elite. So was Archie Manning ,Fouts and Joe Ferguson, and Warren Moon. THEY NEVER WON A SB. My point is, "elite" doesn't guarantee a team SB wins. ITS AL ABOUT TEAM, and team defense..all 3 phases.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
So, you aren't a Romo fan? Romo is the perfect example of a great Qb hindered by poor coaching. He would have been a first ballot HOF QB if he had a Jimmy Johnson on the sideline.
I was and still a huge Romo fan and don't disagree with anything you said.

keysersoze

Reaction score
I was a critic of Romo too. And I haven’t given up on Dak. Just not sold he’s enough. I wasnt sure Romo was enough either although he did carry a lesser team.

By the time we finally surrounded him with a decent team again he was battered. And I think we should have fielded him again. But that’s why we made the change is we weren’t totally sold on him.
That’s an excuse. Romo had Hall of Fame TO and Witten. He had Marion Barber and Murray. He had Terry Glenn and a Hall of Fame coach with another future Hall of Fame coach as an OC. Our defenses then were very comparable to what we have now. Dak hasn’t inherited a better team or coaching. Stop it. Romo was no better than Dak. Just more exciting to watch. With the same results.

Legend

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say Aikman was elite. To me he was efficient and precise.

Aikman was elite for the ball control system he agreed to run to win instead of padding his stats.

Aikman made defenses pay when they focused on Emmitt like below.

Like Jimmy Johnson stated: pick your poison. Die slow with the run or die fast with the pass. Regardless, you are going to die.

keysersoze

Reaction score
he’s not alone some of it is because they were huge Romo fans some of it because Dak was unable to carry the team when zeke was suspended but fail to acknowledge all the other things that happened with injuries etc
They hid behind stats with Tony but they mean jack with Dak

I just want Dak to fix the crossing route inaccuracy but he’s improved a lot
Let’s see what this new direction unfolds. Hopefully the changes will net positive results

keysersoze

Reaction score
Aikman was elite for the ball control system he agreed to run to win instead of padding his stats.

Aikman made defenses pay when they focused on Emmitt like below.

Like Jimmy Johnson stated: pick your poison. Die slow with the run or die fast with the pass. Regardless, you are going to die.

I love those days!!!!

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jim Plunkett was a winner..and I don't care what Moniker someone wants to give him. Elite..maybe not..but like brady, they just win. IF THATS ELITE, I WILL TAKE IT. So with that said, looking at Daks winning percentage since 2016, he IS elite.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Poor Mgmt that didn’t build a better team around him.

I’m assuming if Romo had Jimmy he’d of surrounded him with a better supporting cast. If not I’m not sure with any of those teams fielded Jimmy would have won championships.

Remember Jimmy had a HOF QB in Miami but without a greater supporting cast, no championships.

starfan1

Reaction score
1. Greatly improve defense, special teams, and OL scheme.

2. Get Zeke in shape with more endurance.

3. Bring back 2016 bus driving Dak (focused on winning) instead of 2019 poor man’s Mahomes Dak (focused on stats and receiving highest paid QB contract)

I especially like 1.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They can if MM can hit on enough draft picks. Our past few drafts have been dirt. Even LVE isn't looking so good right now. He was horrific before the neck injury.