The end of Dak is coming

Chasing6

Reaction score
We don’t need to rebuild we’ve gone 12-5 the past 3 seasons. Some want to blow the team up and start from scratch. :rolleyes: We just need to add a few more pieces and build a defense that will step up in the playoffs.
Starting with a GM.

GINeric

Reaction score
Dak faced the weakest pass defense DVOA schedule in the league last year. Literally dead last. It's not a coincidence he had his best year and got his first all pro.

Ok, that's a great point, but here's my problem with that. Every year, other quarterbacks have and will face last ranked defenses in the NFL.... so what's their problem? Why haven't they been able to become an All Pro, 2nd or 1st team??

According to what you're saying, the quarterbacks that play against a last ranked pass defense schedule should easily and automatically become all pro, correct?? Why aren't there more all pros that face these weak pass defensive teams?

Help me understand my guy.

So what inside scoop on facing last place pass defensive ranked teams that the other quarterbacks that have played against every year, haven't discovered?

CWR

Reaction score
I just don't think we need to pay this QB to get these results. I think we can make the playoffs with any decent QB. We don't need to pay a QB that's decent to good 60M a year. Dak is not that much better than Mayfield or Carr. Why would you pay him 60M a year? We can not win a SB with any of those QBs.
What scares me if my lack of trust they'd actually use the cap savings for anything meaningful.

plymkr

Reaction score
Dak would be insane to demand a trade. Regardless of how horrible he plays he is getting paid and making a lot of money in endorsements simply by virtue of being the starting qb for thr Cowboys. What other franchise is going to pay him for non performance when it matters?
I see it differently. I feel Dak would be insane NOT to ask for a trade. He’s going to play this season with a lesser running game, arguably lesser offensive line and less talent at WR. And we have a much tougher schedule. His numbers may drop and there’s always the chance of injury due to growing pains of the young offensive line.

Off the field this season Dak is slated to make 36 million. Not his cap hit, that’s different, but his salary is 36 million. If he were to be traded to Saints or Raiders he could redo his deal once he gets there. Let’s say he gets a contract better than Goff he could make 170-180 million in a signing bonus. So in 2024 he could up his money by 140 million.

If I was Dak and France I would ask for a trade and see if I can capitalize on his season last year with a new contract with another team since Dallas hasn’t committed to him. If I was Dak I would do everything I could to get traded and secure possibly 150 million more dollars in August as opposed to taking my chances with a team that hasn’t committed to me and has taken a serious step backwards talent wise. JMO

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
According to what you're saying, the quarterbacks that play against a last ranked pass defense schedule should easily and automatically become all pro, correct?? Why aren't there more all pros that face these weak pass defensive teams?
:huh:.....errr because there's only two QB's picked each year.I think the point is that the schedule assisted Dak. Then again, turning your point around, the QB's that get ALL-PRO without facing the easiest schedule are high overachievers.

plymkr

Reaction score
What scares me if my lack of trust they'd actually use the cap savings for anything meaningful.
That’s a legitimate concern because it’s happened in the past. I add to your concern with another one. If Dak did ask for a trade or waived his NTC I’m scared that we wouldn’t invest the picks wisely. This past draft was good but Mazi and Schoonmaker is still on my mind.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I see it differently. I feel Dak would be insane NOT to ask for a trade. He’s going to play this season with a lesser running game, arguably lesser offensive line and less talent at WR. And we have a much tougher schedule. His numbers may drop and there’s always the chance of injury due to growing pains of the young offensive line.
But getting traded reduces the number of potential suitors. Could you see, say, the Rams looking to trade away draft capital this season.....indeed how many teams would be prepared to trade away draft capital and where Dak would sign an extension (I doubt anyone's interested in signing him for a year).

It's in Dak's interest to hit 2025, without the trade compensation over his head and with as many suitors to help elevate the AAV.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ok, that's a great point, but here's my problem with that. Every year, other quarterbacks have and will face last ranked defenses in the NFL.... so what's their problem? Why haven't they been able to become an All Pro, 2nd or 1st team??

Help me understand my guy.

So what inside scoop on facing last place pass defensive ranked teams that the other quarterbacks that have played against every year, haven't discovered?
Don't know how often it's happened. Let me know what you find out. What I do know, is that it happened to Dak, and is worth pointing out. Especially coming off a year in which he led the league in INTs despite missing 5 games and is now angling to sign a mega deal. Let's see if he has similar results this year, where if last year's defensive rankings hold at least somewhat true, he will face a much stiffer level of competition.

Flamma

Reaction score
They wouldn't. They've shown you already that they wouldn't. That's why I don't care if they pay Dak or not. They'll use the extra cap space to pay more of their own. That's it. They'll structure the cap hits to take up most of the cap space. They won't mortgage the future because they don't want lean years.

Reactions: CWR

plymkr

Reaction score
But getting traded reduces the number of potential suitors. Could you see, say, the Rams looking to trade away draft capital this season.....indeed how many teams would be prepared to trade away draft capital and where Dak would sign an extension (I doubt anyone's interested in signing him for a year).

It's in Dak's interest to hit 2025, without the trade compensation over his head and with as many suitors to help elevate the AAV.
I agree with your points. Let me do a better job of communicating my premise. If I was Dak I would ask to seek out a trade partner. Then he gets to decide who is suitor is. During this time I would have a negotiated contract with the new team. So let’s say he find a team he wants to play for and they agree to extend him once he gets to the building, so in August. If this team gives him a 170-180 SB then I’d take it.

If he can’t find a suitor that would meet his contract demands then it’s the smart move to play out this year and then let teams bid on him.

It’s a gamble either way but if I’m Dak and I got a team that says we’ll play to 60 million APY and 175 million SB. Would take the 175 SB and increase my revenue by 130+ million. If I can’t find a team that meets my demands and doesn’t give me that signing bonus then yes, I’m totally playing out this year and becoming a FA.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I just don't think we need to pay this QB to get these results. I think we can make the playoffs with any decent QB. We don't need to pay a QB that's decent to good 60M a year. Dak is not that much better than Mayfield or Carr. Why would you pay him 60M a year? We can not win a SB with any of those QBs.
I think this is exactly what Jerry and Stephen are FINALLY beginning to see.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I agree with your points. Let me do a better job of communicating my premise. If I was Dak I would ask to seek out a trade partner. Then he gets to decide who is suitor is. During this time I would have a negotiated contract with the new team. So let’s say he find a team he wants to play for and they agree to extend him once he gets to the building, so in August. If this team gives him a 170-180 SB then I’d take it.

If he can’t find a suitor that would meet his contract demands then it’s the smart move to play out this year and then let teams bid on him.

It’s a gamble either way but if I’m Dak and I got a team that says we’ll play to 60 million APY and 175 million SB. Would take the 175 SB and increase my revenue by 130+ million. If I can’t find a team that meets my demands and doesn’t give me that signing bonus then yes, I’m totally playing out this year and becoming a FA.
Yep, I just wonder which team would trade this year....rather than get him for 'free' (of trade capital) in 2025. I suppose the three favorites for a trade would be: Bronco's, Raiders and Seahawks....but does Dak take them over the top (in 2024).
I'd bet all three would love him as an upgrade, but would baulk at the price Jerry would demand.
If I was Dak I'd wait a year and have: Cowboys, Giants and Rams, join the race to up his AAV.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
The worst scenario imaginable for fans here is that Dak wins the superbowl. What then?!

GINeric

Reaction score
:huh:.....errr because there's only two QB's picked each year.I think the point is that the schedule assisted Dak. Then again, turning your point around, the QB's that get ALL-PRO without facing the easiest schedule are high overachievers.
What I'm saying is, there are teams that play last place pass defenses. If Dak only had an All Pro season because he benefited from playing against last place pass defenses.... why haven't there been other quarterbacks who've played these same defenses benefited their way to being All Pro?

Every year, there is a team who plays the weakest pass defensive schedule. So why aren't there more All Pro quarterbacks springing from those offenses facing these last place pass defenses?

Dak can't be the only one correct?

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
There’s nothing we can do about it. It’s not like anyone should be surprised that Jerry and Stephen would do something stupid-just more of the same. Not extending him would actually shock me.
That is the statement of the year. All we can do is speculate, complain, and then watch as the FO does what nobody expected. They only have so many options.

GINeric

Reaction score
The worst scenario imaginable for fans here is that Dak wins the superbowl. What then?!

What's hilarious, yet truly sad, you would have some "Cowboys fans" here that would be extremely angry. These are the same "Cowboys fans" who appear irritated after our wins. (I still don't get that one)

LysleE

Reaction score
Not in jerry's mind hell he just brought back the slowest back in the league thinks he's a starter
So true…adding to that Jerry has even said that he thinks Dak has an even higher ceiling and can lead them to a championship after 9 years in the league…what a senile old fart.