Twitter: The entire defense is being designed around Micah Parsons

cowboyec

Reaction score
it should.
he's the most disruptive force on that side of the ball in a long time.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I get what you're saying,, but I don't think either of the corners taken are shut down corners, we'll see. Deion could shut down half the field, but the game has changed. Offense routinely send out 4 to 5 receivers. The loss of the fullback and diminished use of playing TEs on the LOS puts a lot of pressure on secondaries. Take the shutdown corner deep and throw underneath.

It's possible that they aren't. But if you believe they are, then essentially you might can neutralize the other team's top receiver with one player. There's benefit in that because it allows you to free up a defender to roll coverage elsewhere or attack.

For what it's worth, though, I agree that if Parsons can be an effective pass rusher, run-and-hit linebacker and underneath coverage guy, there's more benefit to that than even a shutdown corner.

kumizi

Reaction score
Dan Quinn is starting to get my hopes up that at least he's not a moron.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Parsons is a special talent. There are big expectations. Tank is still the best and most consistent defensive player we have. But It’s just a matter of time.

khiladi

Reaction score
Brady has trouble with pressure up the middle. Maybe some A gap blitzes with Parsons will keep the game close.

Pretty much all QBs do.. if you can get pressure up the middle, your defense is usually a top defense..

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Great analysis. We desperately need a stud on defense. We may finally have one.

High praise from Baldy saying Parsons may be the most versatile defensive player in the league.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Spoken like a true fan.
Blimey! Only an armchair football guy would want an entire defence built around ONE player.:laugh:
What's next, building the offence around CeeDee?
You mateys show your pollyanaish tendecies often enough to make you true armchair football guys.
Let the coaches coach and all you have to do is yell SIS BOOM BAH!:muttley:
Yes, and as soon as Gregory has some good games you'll want to (re-)build the D around Gregory.:rolleyes:

jnday

Reaction score
I wouldn't say built around, but rather a defensive coordinator making use of what he has. That's much better than DCs scheme-fitting players. They should always player fit schemes. If you have a blazing fast linebacker, then why would you not want to try to use that?
Considering that Parsons is a rookie and he didn’t play last year, I think everybody should tap the brakes at this point because it is entirely possible that the kid can’t handle the pressure. He should be used more as time goes on and he proves himself. As it stands, he a totally unproven player and I would be cautious with his development.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Oh lord.

No, it's not.

The entire defense is built around and using the same schemes and principles DQ has used at every stop. Is he adding wrinkles for Parsons? Of course. The kid is a phenomenal talent. The defense is no, however, being completely built around one linebacker.

If by some act of sheer idiocy it is, then this team is absolutely screwed. The only player on a team valuable enough to have an entire scheme built around, is the QB. He's the only one who touches the ball every play and has direct influence on every snap (while on the field).

Ugh, I'm so ready for the season to get here so the fluff can stop.

Proof

Reaction score
Yeah, build around a rookie so when he tears a knee up the defense no longer functions. That's just so damn smart. :rolleyes:

do rookies tear their knees at a more frequent rate than veterans? are schemes not flexible? are you serious? also baldy is tremendous at analysis, meanwhile practically every random opinion you have is completely off base.

DanA

Reaction score
Spoken like a true fan.
Blimey! Only an armchair football guy would want an entire defence built around ONE player.:laugh:
What's next, building the offence around CeeDee?
You mateys show your pollyanaish tendecies often enough to make you true armchair football guys.
Let the coaches coach and all you have to do is yell SIS BOOM BAH!:muttley:
Yes, and as soon as Gregory has some good games you'll want to (re-)build the D around Gregory.:rolleyes:

I really don't know what you are talking about.

Obviously the entire defense isn't literally built around Parsons alone. But there is no "next man up" when it comes to Parsons role, it's unique in this system and to me it's pretty clear a number of plays are designed to get the most out of him. That's really what he's getting at. To me the observation is interesting and without an "Armchair expert" making that observation and talking about it we don't get to have the discussion. I want to better understand what I'm watching, I find that makes it more fun for me. And are we really calling a guy that played 11 years in the NFL an unqualified armchair expert?

Last edited: