The false perception Stephen is running Cowboys Football

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If Stephen is running thing then why was he not meeting with Goodell and communicating with Goodell on Zeke and other matters involving the Cowboys?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So Garrett is HC because that is what Stephen wants? Randy Gregory is here because of Stephen. Funny those who cover this team on a daily basis have said Jerry is still the final word but some message board hack says different and we are to buy into your BS? Too funny guy.
Yes and Yes. Those where decision negotiated between the Jones boys before this offseason. Jerry gets a little of what he wants in exchange for Stephen getting everything he and Will agree on moving forward. That's the way this off season has worked.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
No, it was more like Stephen and Will went to Jerry and said we are doing this and Jerry just nodded in acknowledgment of what was being done.
I cant buy that, I mean you or I or anyone else dont really know who does what, but you are saying Stephen and Will decided all on their own
amari was the guy to get, and then told jerry they were doing it and jerry say uh .....ok guys. :lmao:
Jerry is still the boss and he is involved in every deal, and not in a minor way. That is my opinion.
They do things as a group now, and that is why they are doing better.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If Stephen is running thing then why was he not meeting with Goodell and communicating with Goodell on Zeke and other matters involving the Cowboys?
I'm sure Jerry was reading closely off of Stephen's notes when he talked to Goodell about Zeke. That's what figure heads do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m curious why some fans are so desperate to believe Jerry isn’t still the final word in Cowboys Football any longer? What’s driving this perception??

And why isn’t Jerry giving his Son more credit?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I cant buy that, I mean you or I or anyone else dont really know who does what, but you are saying Stephen and Will decided all on their own
amari was the guy to get, and then told jerry they were doing it and jerry say uh .....ok guys. :lmao:
Jerry is still the boss and he is involved in every deal, and not in a minor way. That is my opinion.
They do things as a group now, and that is why they are doing better.
Sorry to blow your mind but Jerry isn't even in charge of his own bowel movements. He gets informed what Stephen and Will are up to and he just rubber stamps it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Now it’s really getting out there discussing Jerry’s BM. This pretty well refuted his argument. Lol

But thanks for making that argument so silly.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I’m curious why some fans are so desperate to believe Jerry isn’t still the final word in Cowboys Football any longer? What’s driving this perception??

And why isn’t Jerry giving his Son more credit?
Jerry's rubber stamp is the final word, you're right. :D I bet he's even delegated his secretary to be in charge of that rubber stamp. :lmao:

Little Jr

Reaction score
As one prominent NFL agent said of Stephen Jones last week, “He has already taken over the big decisions the last three years. That dynamic has totally changed with how the money works. Jerry used to just pay everyone. Now he says all these nice things about a player, but Stephen ends up being the one who decides when and how they get their money. Or if they get paid at all.

“Compared to Jerry, Stephen is so cheap, too. He doesn’t want to pay big deals without a fight. Don’t kid yourself – Stephen is running Dallas now. Jerry is stepping back and Stephen is stepping forward. That’s what you’re seeing.”

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/sp...ephen-jones-is-the-shot-caller-222233852.html

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Now it’s really getting out there discussing Jerry’s BM. This pretty well refuted his argument. Lol

But thanks for making that argument so silly.
Let's see how in charge of your BM's you are when you get old. That's a real thing my friend. I'm sorry to keep blowing your mind like that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Away from the cameras, Jason Garrett reiterated his stance that he does not anticipate significant changes on the coaching staff, but acknowledged there have not been any discussions with the coaches or the front office. He was asked if he has final authority on the staff and said, “Like with everything they’re all collaborative decisions. I do not own the team. Jerry Jones owns the team. Ultimately, he has final say over everything we do here. But I do believe our relationship is very collaborative. I have a tremendous amount of faith and trust in him and hopefully he has the same for me.”

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41052920-4

Everyone seems to know who has final say except for a few

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter who’s influencing the final decisions. It’s still Jerry’s call.

That’s the point that’s being missed here. I’m not disputing the influence . I’m disputing who’s ultimately making the final decision and credited with running Cowboys Football.
They may as well just get old Jerry stuffed and mounted behind his desk with all the brain power he is exerting to rubber stamp all of Stephen and Will's decisions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They may as well just get old Jerry stuffed and mounted behind his desk with all the brain power he is exerting to rubber stamp all of Stephen and Will's decisions.
Jerry rubber stamped many of the Jimmy and Bill decisions too. This isn’t new territory for Jerry.

And Stephens been by his side all along.

I really believe Jason deserves some credit for his influences as well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Scales: Jerry Jones still has final say on all draft picks, so he is still top of the food chain in the War Room, without question. But that doesn't diminish Stephen's role in the draft. Sometimes Stephen can be the "yin" to Jerry's "yang" (yin/yang = complementary forces that are inter-related).

The truth, however, is that Will McClay is the one in charge of setting the draft board, and all of the Jones' decisions come off that board.

McClay's official title is Senior Director of College/Pro Scouting. He's the one that funnels the information, and Jerry makes the final call. The most important facet of McClay's role is that he's earned the trust of the Joneses as well as the scouts and coaching staff. He has the ear (and trust) of the people he works with.

Blackrain

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter who’s influencing the final decisions. It’s still Jerry’s call.

That’s the point that’s being missed here. I’m not disputing the influence . I’m disputing who’s ultimately making the final decision and credited with running Cowboys Football.

All true , granted Jerry after all these years is finally listening to others advice but there is no doubt he will always have the final word until he is no longer mentally competent to do so .

This is Jerrys toy believe it, accept it, and adjust your expectations accordingly because without at least a top 10 game day coach the SB is a fantasy we will only dream about while tolerating Jerrys dysfunction in the comfort vs talent department .

If Stephen was really running things Garrett would be promoted to Assistant GM or some similar title and a coach with the instincts of an Apache Warrior would be hired to handle game day along with no expense spared to secure him

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m presenting my perception and I believe it to be closer to reality than yours.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's the sound of the disqualifier button being pushed.

Each poster's perception is their reality and without irrefutable evidence, that is all we have. We all look at the same "evidence" and draw our own conclusions, which really amounts to nothing more than an opinion. Whether Booger has relinquished any control is all opinion, the same way whether or not Elliott committed DV or was railroaded as some think or Romo was changing more than half of Garrett's called plays, it is all opinion even though some state theirs as fact.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's the button going off on those attacking the messenger instead of the message. This is a hot topic because most have formed an opinion based on the "evidence" they see.

I think you should take into consideration that Booger's most consistent critic is actually giving him credit for something that some of you find improbable, a man in his late 60's and early 70's learning and changing the way he does things.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry rubber stamped many of the Jimmy and Bill decisions too. This isn’t new territory for Jerry.

And Stephens been by his side all along.

I really believe Jason deserves some credit for his influences as well.
You keep moving the goalpost because that's what you need to do to make your point. We aren't talking about years gone by. Jerry was clearly in charge during years gone by. We are talking about this off season. This off season, Stephen and Will has made every decision and Jerry just went along with it with his rubber stamp. He vetoed nothing!