The ginger and the clapping

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Charles Haley put his helmet through a wall 3 feet from Jimmy Johnsons head and screamed sign Emmitt ...... funny how he did not get punished.

Jimmy bullied bad players and he won because of all those high draft picks in a none salary cap era with an owner with deep pockets.

Good players were allowed to play dominoes and have ***** houses filled with drugs down the street.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Charles Haley put his helmet through a wall 3 feet from Jimmy Johnsons head and screamed sign Emmitt ...... funny how he did not get punished.

Jimmy bullied bad players and he won because of all those high drat picks in a none salary cap era with an owner with deep pockets.

Good players were allowed to play dominoes and have ***** houses filled with drugs down the street.

Yeah, people tend to just want to block this stuff out. It's easier to not taint the nostalgia of your young self's or childhood hero. Jimmy and Jerry most likely knew of this stuff, just turns out, the great players had 10 strikes while the scrubs had 1.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Kinda easy to do when you had pretty much had a dynasty shipped to you from Minny. How did Jimmy look before that? How did he look when Smith held out?

I liked Jimmy, good personality and he played a big part in the greatest trade in history, but the dude was blessed with talent after that trade.

One of the dumbest posts I've ever read. He built the 90's dynasty from the absolute bottom up. When he was hired, the team was the worst in the league. He was one of the best talent evaluators in history, a master motivator, and a good strategist. Sure he had talent. Every team that wins titles has talent. He BUILT the team. Of course he should get the credit.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

Jimmy bullied bad players and he won because of all those high drat picks in a none salary cap era with an owner with deep pockets.

What's your point??? Johnson knew which buttons to push. He was a master psychologist and did what he had to do to WIN. That's the bottom line!

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
It's something many coaches do in practice.

It just means "let's go, be alert, have a sense of urgency".

That and to keep his QB's head straight.

Or any athlete on the team.

It seems to be a facade but in reality it is good coaching.

I'd rather he do that than look like coughlin........like he just dumped in his pants.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
One of the dumbest posts I've ever read. He built the 90's dynasty from the absolute bottom up. When he was hired, the team was the worst in the league. He was one of the best talent evaluators in history, a master motivator, and a good strategist. Sure he had talent. Every team that wins titles has talent. He BUILT the team. Of course he should get the credit.

Read my post, I gave him credit for robbing the Vikings in a trade he himself never thought would happen.

Irving wasn't his pick, we got Aikman with the #1 pick in the draft. Again: The dynasty was built from a miracle trade. Before that, Jimmy Johnson looked like quite the average coach. How do you think Jimmy Johnson would have been viewed today without that trade?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
What's your point??? Johnson knew which buttons to push. He was a master psychologist and did what he had to do to WIN. That's the bottom line!

If Garrett had Troy, Smith, and Irvin in their prime, he would win too...... that is the bottom line.

Jimmy could not win with Weeden, Randle, and Williams ....... hell he could not win if he lost more than one of his starters,

dallasdave

Reaction score

:clap::clap::thumbup::thumbup: When Jimmy took the team over it was the worst team in the NFL !!! Five years latter Jimmy has Dallas win a Back to Back Super Bowls !!!

dallasdave

Reaction score

Jimmy was the best ever and built the Cowboys from the ground up, the only player that was there was Irvin. Jimmy drafted all these great players !!! And for these people saying he was an average coach ----he won the championship in college football---so that shows how much they know !!!! YOu are dead right Jimmy was great and knew how to build and team and win with a team !!!!

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Curvin Richards was a draftee, 4th rounder from the previous year, and the only back-up Emmitt had at the time. Cutting him was bold enough to get everybody focused on the playoffs. They hadnt won anything when that happened.

.....Who ran for 3yds a carry, he was not the next Walter Payton.
Also-for all of Jimmy's greatness he won bubkus without the triplets, an all-time oline and a salary cap. How did his cutting guys for fumbling work in Miami?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Read my post, I gave him credit for robbing the Vikings in a trade he himself never thought would happen.

Irving wasn't his pick, we got Aikman with the #1 pick in the draft. Again: The dynasty was built from a miracle trade. Before that, Jimmy Johnson looked like quite the average coach. How do you think Jimmy Johnson would have been viewed today without that trade?

Who is Irving? David Irving the 22 year old DT on the 2015 roster?

silver

Reaction score
Also-for all of Jimmy's greatness he won bubkus without the triplets, an all-time oline and a salary cap. How did his cutting guys for fumbling work in Miami?

So you're saying they won in spite of him? That's like saying the only reason Landry won was beacause of Roger Staubach and Doomsday I and II. Puuulease

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
So you're saying they won in spite of him? That's like saying the only reason Landry won was beacause of Roger Staubach and Doomsday I and II. Puuulease

No I am saying he looked that much better because of what he had around him. Btw-that same team won another Super Bowl in the cap era with a very different coach so I could techincally make that argument. Jimmy won squat without Aikman, Irvin, Smith etc., is all I am saying, he was run out of Miami.

silver

Reaction score
No I am saying he looked that much better because of what he had around him. Btw-that same team won another Super Bowl in the cap era with a very different coach so I could techincally make that argument. Jimmy won squat without Aikman, Irvin, Smith etc., is all I am saying, he was run out of Miami.
He probably deserves a third ring for the Switzer championship. He was the architect behind that dynasty. I dont know what happened in Miami, but he got them in the playoffs consistenlty and rebuilt their defense.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

So the Steelers, Cowboys, Dolphins, and Raiders of the 70's, the Niners of the 80's, the Broncos of the late 90's, and the Patriots of this century all won titles with players with no talent??? Got cha! Smart thinking on your part. :rolleyes: That Montana and Rice guy really sucked. Bill Walsh just lucked into talent??? In your opinion, what does make a good coach??? Taking ****** players and winning 6 games with them?

dallasdave

Reaction score
So the Steelers, Cowboys, Dolphins, and Raiders of the 70's, the Niners of the 80's, the Broncos of the late 90's, and the Patriots of this century all won titles with players with no talent??? Got cha! Smart thinking on your part. :rolleyes: That Montana and Rice guy really sucked. Bill Walsh just lucked into talent??? In your opinion, what does make a good coach??? Taking ****ty players and winning 6 games with them?

Love your post !!!! :thumbup: Jimmy built the team !!!

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

We'll never know. How would Bill Walsh have been viewed without Montana, Rice, Crag, etc.? How would Chuck Noll be viewed without Bradshaw, Green, Swann, Stallworth, etc.? How would Shanahan be viewed without Elway and many others? Yours is a stupid argument. It's like when people say Emmitt isn't the greatest running back because he had a great Oline, yet they never say the same thing about Montana because he had Rice and other great talent around him. No coach ever has much success without talent. Johnson built that team from its absolute lowest point and he did it VERY rapidly. Yes, he made a great trade. So what. He also drafted very well, developed the talent, and put them in the best position to be successful.

Last edited:

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
So the Steelers, Cowboys, Dolphins, and Raiders of the 70's, the Niners of the 80's, the Broncos of the late 90's, and the Patriots of this century all won titles with players with no talent??? Got cha! Smart thinking on your part. :rolleyes: That Montana and Rice guy really sucked. Bill Walsh just lucked into talent??? In your opinion, what does make a good coach??? Taking ****ty players and winning 6 games with them?

Huh? You are taking an easy decision to waive a crappy player as part of your evidence Johnson was a great coach. All I am saying is he didn't exactly set the world on fire in Miami and he waived plenty of guys over there so that's definetly NOT the reason he was successful. Part of it was the coach, but the larger reason was unquestionably the talent. The guy didn't win anything without the Cowboys. On the other hand, any team who wins with Barry Switzer as it's coach was a great team.

dallasdave

Reaction score

We'll never know. How would Bill Walsh have been viewed with Montana, Rice, Crag, etc.? How would Chuck Noll be viewed without Bradshaw, Green, Swann, Stallworth, etc.? How would Shanahan be viewed without Elway and many others? Yours is a stupid argument. It's like when people say Emmitt isn't the greatest running back because he had a great Oline, yet they never say the same thing about Montana because he had Rice and other great talent around him. No coach ever has much success without talent. Johnson built that team from its absolute lowest point and he did it VERY rapidly. Yes, he made a great trade. So what. He also drafted very well, developed the talent, and put them in the best position to be successful.

:clap: