The goat, where does Prescott really rank

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I put Dak among the top 10 (definitely among the top 15) among starting quarterbacks.
I've seen him put up stats (usually when we're coming back from huge deficits). I've seen him lead the team to victory.
But I don't base my opinion of quarterbacks merely on stats - unless the quarterback is consistently and obviously among the best quarterbacks in the league. See Dan Marino).
What a quarterback does in the playoffs on to the Super Bowl is where I place a great deal of emphasis.
You have to be able to lead your team through the playoffs. If you have to score very time to overcome a poor defense, so be it. You're getting paid the money. you need to assume the responsibility. So with that as a standard and based on current play, I go (in no particular order)...

Tom Brady
Patrick Mahomes
Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson
Josh Allen
Deshaun Watson
Lamar Jackson
Matt Ryan
Kirk Cousins
Ryan Tannehill
Dak Prescott
Matt Stafford
Derek Carr

However, I think this year is a pivotal year for Dak. I believe he has the weapons. I believe the defense will be better (can't get lower than last year). And I believe he can get better, though I have a some reservations that he may have hit his ceiling).
This year, he has to beat the better teams, and we have to get farther in the playoffs. With better defensive play, we should at least win two playoff games. We have the offense to do it, provided everyone stays health.

So ... I'm not going to bash Dak. The ball is in his court, and he's in the driver's seat with a healthy offensive line, more weapons at receiver (I expect Cee Dee Lamb and Dak to be a potent connection this season) and a slimmer Zeke and, hopefully, more innovation and creativity in the play-calling department (Pollard lined up as a wide receiver is what I'm hoping portends for more creative offensive scheming).

We ... shall ... see.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You use every excuses in the book for him.

If you can thrown our own franchises HOFers and winners under the bus to somehow make Dak look better you've proven you're not above it.

When have I said that QBs don't need talent around them to win? Please find that a link me to it, because I never claimed that. That's a given. BUT, Dak has plenty of talent around him. You Dak apologist milk that 2020 defense for all it's worth now. Dak played 4 games with that defense, but you guys like to act like he's had it his whole career. Give me a break lol
what excuses? I have never put forth any excuses. everything I have ever presented were facts, readily available and allowed everyone to draw their own conclusion. the difference between us has been, you change your standards, often, very often and you choose to ignore certain facts that don't fit your argument, compared to myself that takes into account "every" piece of fact.

as desperately as you are trying. and desperate is an understatement. I have never thrown any of our franchise and HOF players under the bus. I asked you a simple question, using your own standards. you threw a hissy fit.

its been the same from the beginning. I used your own statements to ask you questions. you get mad. why?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You have another notorious Dak lover and excuse maker agree with you. Color me shocked.

I don't hate anyone. I just refuse to crown him without winning anything.
you have another Dak hater and finger pointer agree with you color me shocked.

you hate Dak. its obvious. you have tried to disguise it. spin it. but its painfully, and clearly obvious.

I have never crowned him anything.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Camaraderie. That’s what makes Prescott a winner. The people around him respect him. And you earned that you don’t deserve that. And you can’t take that away from him. That’s his best attribute Prescott More than once has taken over this team. Without Elliot. Without starting center. Tight and left tackle wide receiver. And still came out winning. You just don’t give him the credit he deserves and probably never will
Winning makes you a winner.

Brax

Reaction score
You think those 5 seasons were his fault?

(Also those 5 seasons did not have the same result lmao)
Playoff success? CCG? Failure against good teams? Much of the failure is on Dak’s doorstep not all but great QB’s step up not disappear in key games. Season 6 is close and if it’s more of the same it will be season 7 with all the spin, let’s hope not, we just have to wait to see what has changed or hasn’t.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Forgot about 2019 2018 .........5 seasons same result. Selective memory seems to be a problem for some. We know it was everyone else’s fault.
no, its all Dak's fault. its always the same. when we win its because of everyone else on the team. when we lose, its because he threw 0 TDs and its all his fault. did I miss anything?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
QBs I'm definitely taking over Dak:

Wilson
Mahomes
And after last season Rodgers

QBs I'm definitely taking Dak over:
Stafford
Carr
Cousins
Jimmy G/Lance
Goff
Wentz
Fitz
Both Jones'
Dalton/Fields
Wilson
Tua
Lock/Teddy
Ben
Mayfield
Brady
Hill/Winston
Darnold
Burrow
Hurts

Either way:
Herbert
Allen
Lamar Jax
Murray
Ryan
Watson
Tannehill
Lawrence I guess

He's firmly in the 2nd tier of QBs which puts us at an advantage over 2/3rds of the league

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Playoff success? CCG? Failure against good teams? Much of the failure is on Dak’s doorstep not all but great QB’s step up not disappear in key games. Season 6 is close and if it’s more of the same it will be season 7 with all the spin, let’s hope not, we just have to wait to see what has changed or hasn’t.

So winning 5 games is the same result as making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs or getting the #1 seed? That's your claim? Lol

Wait why are you now making up disappearing in key games? That's one of your stupid talking points now?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Jimmy's opinion trumps all your views. When you win 3 super bowls then your opinion might matter.
What happens if Dak isn't great this year? The apologist have set the bar VERY high.

I'm willing to give him credit when it's deserved. Do you think the crowd that's already crowed him will ever be willing to take that crown back if he doesn't get it done? I'm going to say no.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
What happens if Dak isn't great this year? The apologist has set the bar VERY high.

I'm willing to give him credit when it's deserved. Do you think the crowd that's already crowed him will ever be willing to take that crown back if he doesn't get it done? I'm going to say no.
naw, nine out of ten of these dak hero worshipers are romo haters. their love for dak is because of their hate for romo. pretty simple.

stiletto

Reaction score
By "being the star" I mean not knowing his role on the team. Aikman knew the team was best suited as a running team (The same exact way it would be now) and he was fine with sacrificing his own stats to win games. Dak went from 3 winning seasons in a row behind Zeke to 8-8 and 1-3 when we decided we all of a sudden with his buddy Kellen Moore in charge we wanted to be pass first.

Dak, like Aikman, is great at being a game manager. We would be much better off if played like it.

Live in the past die in the past. The league is completely different now than when Aikman played, it used to be much more of a running league. It's now a passing league. Night and day difference.

Dak also hasn't had the benefit of a top tier Defense like Aikman and the rest of those 90's team had. He's had to throw a lot to try to catch up or stay with other teams. I do not believe he is trying to be a "Star" as you put it. He's trying to get back in games too much. When we get a good lead Dak generally has done exactly what he's needed to do. Anyone that doesn't see that, just doesn't know football too well IMO.

Brax

Reaction score
So winning 5 games is the same result as making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs or getting the #1 seed? That's your claim? Lol

Wait why are you now making up disappearing in key games? That's one of your stupid talking points now?
Reread and try to understand in context to the main posting.