The luckiest person of the last 100 years

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Really, Mike, better than the Stones...better than Angie... better than...Elvis...better than Suspicious Minds..really..are you sure?

I'm a decent music fan and love older music...the beatles were actually pretty terrible and i dont get all the hype. The Eagles, journey and guns n roses were all far better imo

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yeah as far as bands go. :)
Man! They broke a lot of new ground that had people's head spinning (brass horns,big bass strings,freaking ties and Tails Orchestra's)

"ROCKY RACOON" and " HEY BULLDOG " are right at the top of my favorites from them, I knew paperback writer word for word at 14 I believe.:laugh:

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I'm a decent music fan and love older music...the beatles were actually pretty terrible and i dont get all the hype. The Eagles, journey and guns n roses were all far better imo
Shirley u jest my good fellow?
Picture a world void of the ' pioneers'.
those 3 clueless clod gaggles you deem superior would prolly still be clanging spoons /jug/ wash board( I purposely left the kazoo out in obvious respect of glen fry& co.)
The ' path finder' fab-four cut/blazed trail .

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
those 3 clueless clod gaggles you deem superior would prolly still be clanging spoons /jug/ wash board( I purposely left the kazoo out in obvious respect of glen fry& co.)

Exactly.

Trying to judge a band that played before the time you really experienced music is hard. It (the prior music) sounds hopelessly "old" to many.

No band created the "uproar" The Beatles did.

Even if you don't like their music just watching those react that were around them is stunning. I was born in '62 and I've seen folks go nutty over pop-stars and bands since then, but not like that.

At one point the Beatles had the top-5 selling singles in this country... There's no one that has even come close to duplicating that... Not Elvis, not the Stones, not Michael Jackson, not Mariah, not Taylor Swift. No one.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Exactly.

Trying to judge a band that played before the time you really experienced music is hard. It (the prior music) sounds hopelessly "old" to many.

No band created the "uproar" The Beatles did.

Even if you don't like their music just watching those react that were around them is stunning. I was born in '62 and I've seen folks go nutty over pop-stars and bands since then, but not like that.

At one point the Beatles had the top-5 selling singles in this country... There's no one that has even come close to duplicating that... Not Elvis, not the Stones, not Michael Jackson, not Mariah, not Taylor Swift. No one.
For some. I've read the Anthology, have every album, and am a Beatle fanatic. I'm 33.

Did you see the new docu Eight Days a Week, Mike?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For some. I've read the Anthology, have every album, and am a Beatle fanatic. I'm 33.

Did you see the new docu Eight Days a Week, Mike?

No, have not yet.

Wife is the big Beatles fan.

Truthfully I'm more of a fan of the Dave Clark 5, Jerry & the Pacemakers, Freddie & the Dreamers and Peter & Gordon...

But I have to acknowledge the accomplishment of the Beatles.

As you know I'm a Yankees fan... But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the greatness of Ted Williams.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
No, have not yet.

Wife is the big Beatles fan.

Truthfully I'm more of a fan of the Dave Clark 5, Jerry & the Pacemakers, Freddie & the Dreamers and Peter & Gordon...

But I have to acknowledge the accomplishment of the Beatles.

As you know I'm a Yankees fan... But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the greatness of Ted Williams.
All you need is The Monkees and your list is complete :)

As an aside, and I've seen the Stones mentioned a few times in this thread, I love the band -- Sticky Fingers is a top-20 all-time album for me, but I find it grating when they self-proclaim themselves as the "greatest band ever."

Their live sessions with Muddy Waters are amazing, tho.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All you need is The Monkees and your list is complete :)

As an aside, and I've seen the Stones mentioned a few times in this thread, I love the band -- Sticky Fingers is a top-20 all-time album for me, but I find it grating when they self-proclaim themselves as the "greatest band ever."

Their live sessions with Muddy Waters are amazing, tho.

Luv the Stones... My #2, but they're not close to being the Beatles.

The Stones have had 8 #1 hits.

The Beatles had 26. Paul McCartney & Wings had an additional 6.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
My 2nd oldest sister by 2 years was the ' Beatles' fanatic and since her and myself were middle children we kinda got along. (sometimes, I swear with those two older sisters I didn't know if my name was queer or dildo at 12 y.o.,,, I would throw snakes at them and come up behind them with dead squirrels and such but ,,,sheese! They could get MoM involved pretty quick.)

DFWJC

Reaction score
On that line, I think Elvis Presley is up higher on a list.

31 movies.
36 #1 hits
22 #1 albums
150 albums or singles certified gold, platinum or multi-platinum
More than 1 BILLION records sold
Hawaii concert in 1973 viewed by more than 1 billion viewers...more than people who watched the man on the moon.
14 grammy nominations
3 grammy wins
Sergeant in the Military
Short life had to be some trade off.
Plus tortured battles with drugs and alchohol.

This thread confuses me anyway.
If you actually achieve something with effort and talent, I dont see how thats luck.
I guess it was explained in the Op.
The word "luck" just seems out of place for some of these.

Last edited:

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score

We can argue they were talented and definitely impacted music for sure.

But goodness their music is boring and some of it even psycho.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Luv the Stones... My #2, but they're not close to being the Beatles.

The Stones have had 8 #1 hits.

The Beatles had 26. Paul McCartney & Wings had an additional 6.

The beatles had 20 #1 hits on the US charts with the longest being Hey Jude at #1 for 9 weeks.

Elvis had 18 #1 hits on the US charts with the longest being Hound Dog #1 for 11 weeks.

Hound dog > Hey Jude

Mariah Carey has also had 18 #1 hits with One Sweet day topping the charts for 16 record breaking weeks.

Seriously overplaying the beatles here...hey jude is a boringggggg song and didnt even have the strength to stay #1 for longer than Elvis.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score

I think we should listen to John Lennon here, right? Right.

"Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been Elvis, there would not have been the Beatles."

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
The beatles had 20 #1 hits on the US charts with the longest being Hey Jude at #1 for 9 weeks.

Elvis had 18 #1 hits on the US charts with the longest being Hound Dog #1 for 11 weeks.

Hound dog > Hey Jude

Mariah Carey has also had 18 #1 hits with One Sweet day topping the charts for 16 record breaking weeks.

Seriously overplaying the beatles here...hey jude is a boringggggg song and didnt even have the strength to stay #1 for longer than Elvis.
Absolutely not!