***The MEGA-SUPER-DUPER..Vince Young Thread***

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
silverbear said:
He's coming back to Texas next year, and should be the early favorite to win the Heisman...

That said, those who say he was the best player in college football this year are wrong-- that would be Reggie Bush, hands down... oh, Vince had a GREAT season, but Bush's was one for the ages...
Nope and it wasn't even close.

I'll explain why which I was arguing long before tonight mind you.

Reggie gets to field kick offs and get this 20 yards plus per return added to his "All-purpose" yardage. He then gets to run the rock about every 6th play. He doesn't take a beating because Lendale White does all the heavy lifting.

Reggie did not run one play between the tackles tonight. Not even 1. He might have broken 1 tackle all night.

Vince Young broke a number of tackles including those by DL/LB/DB. He ran through guys, aroud guys, over guys. He came up the middle, hit the sidelines and found the endzoen repeatedly.

He also DIDNT get to go take a seat and rest for a series while soemone else toted the rock. He would scramble 30 yards then come back the next play and toss a pass. Its the equivalent to singing after dancing like Britney Spears. Believe me there a reason they have those little dancing chickens lip sync.

Reggie was often off the field for USC in key situations all year. On the ND drive for the win his big play was pushing Lienart in the back. Facing a fast defense tonight he showed he can be contained because he is limited.

Without Bush on the team USC loses at most 1 additonal game because they had a great offense regardless. Without Young Texas can't win the Big 12 south.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Dallas said:
Of those 3. I have the #1?

I take Leinart all day. Of the 3 he has the best NFL caliber talent. The other 2 are flashes in the pan as far as im concerned. One is the Heisman winner. Go figure.

We are talking w/ the #1.

I mean really. Of those 3. Who would you take?
I try like hell and trade it to someone who has an infatuation, and hopefully do it again for someone else who has one. I don't like Bush as a RB. I think Young has a ways to go to be a NFL QB. I think Leinart will probably be a NFL QB, just not sure how good of one he will be.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
D'Brickshaw and Mario Williams are probably the only safe picks in the draft

Derinyar

Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
D'Brickshaw and Mario Williams are probably the only safe picks in the draft
D'Brickshaw is probably who the Texans should take. Start patching that horrid OL they have.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
I'll be interested to see what Bush runs at the combine. He was neutralized by a fast texas D. Last year Brodney Pool caught him from behind with NO angle whatsoever.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Leinart definitely seems to be the guy to take of the 3.

I was talking to some friends today about the Falcons trying to trade Vick. Now would be the perfect time. There is so much hype around this guy who has really proven nothing and yet is still one of the most loved players in the game.

At least see what people were willing to give. The Falcons would make out like bandits.

Derinyar

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Leinart definitely seems to be the guy to take of the 3.

I was talking to some friends today about the Falcons trying to trade Vick. Now would be the perfect time. There is so much hype around this guy who has really proven nothing and yet is still one of the most loved players in the game.

At least see what people were willing to give. The Falcons would make out like bandits.
Yeah probably. They already have someone who looks like he could be a good QB behind him also.

Hailmary

Reaction score
I think Young's a great COLLEGE talent. I think Vick was miles ahead of him passing the ball entering the draft. Scrambling, he has no equal...but he IS abig boy and I would be somewhat concerned about his weight down the road. Will he be as elusive 20 heavier once he signs that fat contract? (pun intended). Just my opinion, but I think he's the biggest gamble in the draft if he comes out. I have no problems w/ underclassmen coming out early, except for QBs. Vince stay in school.

I'll take the pocket passer over the scrambler in the pro level any day. Leinart will have a better career.

I also think Lendale White would make a better pro than Bush. He needs to get his weight down a bit however.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
I'll be interested to see what Bush runs at the combine. He was neutralized by a fast texas D. Last year Brodney Pool caught him from behind with NO angle whatsoever.
He's fast. Real fast but then again a UT linebacker ran stride for stride with him.

I hear all these Barry Sanders comparisons but he is 2 inchaes taller and 10-15 pounds lighter than Sanders. He actually remind sme most of Michael Vick if I had to name one person. He runs upright and has amazing quickness to go with his speed. A few of my older buddies at work swear he's a dead ringer for Gayle Sayers.

I would think that now GMs might be concerned that he will face speed like that every week on the next level.

I remember Desmond Howard just slaughtering defenses in college....

Derinyar

Reaction score
jterrell said:
He's fast. Real fast but then again a UT linebacker ran stride for stride with him.

I hear all these Barry Sanders comparisons but he is 2 inchaes taller and 10-15 pounds lighter than Sanders. He actually remind sme most of Michael Vick if I had to name one person. He runs upright and has amazing quickness to go with his speed. A few of my older buddies at work swear he's a dead ringer for Gayle Sayers.

I would think that now GMs might be concerned that he will face speed like that every week on the next level.

I remember Desmond Howard just slaughtering defenses in college....
I definately think that Bush isn't a "once a generation player" like some of the talking heads are calling him.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
For the person that said Young has already announced he'll stay in school...clearly, he changed his mind after tonight's performance and is, at the least, reconsidering. He said he will talk it over with his parents, starting tonight, to decide what to do.

And I agree about the potential bust thing. Leinart, to me, throws too many high-arching soft passes; Bush strikes me as a Vick of running backs -- a guy that will give you a highlight reel play every game, but isn't a complete player (IMO). I think whoever takes him will need their own LenDale White to really get the most out of Bush, so he can split out wide sometimes and not take such a beating at running back. Also, does whatever team that takes him use him in the return game? Risky gamble, but by not using him there, you're taking away one of his bigger strengths.

And as for Young, I like his intangibles; heart, leadership, size, athleticism, arm. I think he could really benefit from one more year in school in terms of passing mechanics and just overall refinement. He has shown such amazing improvement in the passing game over the years, and I really wonder what another year would do for him. The gamble with him is clearly that he'll be a Vick-type (minus the Ron Mexico), who is pretty much just a threat on the ground. But he seems like he has legitimate potential and ability to develop as a passer. Plus, that leadership is darn attractive.

Either way, great game. A lot of amazing collegiate athletics on display, and it'll be a lot of fun following these guys' professional careers.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Derinyar said:
Yeah probably. They already have someone who looks like he could be a good QB behind him also.

Exactly. The 49ers gave up on Montana. The Falcons who over 40 years havent had back to back winning seasons could give up on Vick.

Schaub is a solid player. He just resides in the shadows.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Hailmary said:
I think Young's a great COLLEGE talent. I think Vick was miles ahead of him passing the ball entering the draft. Scrambling, he has no equal...but he IS abig boy and I would be somewhat concerned about his weight down the road. Will he be as elusive 20 heavier once he signs that fat contract? (pun intended). Just my opinion, but I think he's the biggest gamble in the draft if he comes out. I have no problems w/ underclassmen coming out early, except for QBs. Vince stay in school.

I'll take the pocket passer over the scrambler in the pro level any day. Leinart will have a better career.

I also think Lendale White would make a better pro than Bush. He needs to get his weight down a bit however.

I am not typically a fan of QBs that run that much, but Young makes quick reads and make plays. He is not sacked nearly as much as most running QBs (from what I have seen).

And White at current weight is fine. Heavier would be an issue. He is a throwback like Earl Campbell, or OJ, big and fast.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Lienart. I really thought he was special prior to tonight but honestly is this guy any different from Bledsoe? He has been having guys wide open all his college career. He is not at all elusive or quick and I can count the check downs I've seen from him on one hand. I'd still like to draft him but not necessarily 1st overall. I'd rank him 3 to 7.

Bush. I would love Bush as a Dante Hall type. A 3rd down runner, 2nd down slot guy who returns kicks/punts. I question his build for NFL contact. Few part time running backs have ever been as hyped in the history of college football. I'd rank him 10-18.

Young. He has prototypical size and atypical speed and strength. The way he shrugs off attempted tackles by DEs in college tell me alot about his strength. When blitzed he never panics and instead just lets the guy hang on him while he throws the pass. You have to love his confidence and also his accuracy. If I were to compare himt o Vick I'd want to see what Vicks passer efficeiny rating was and his completion percentage because while I know Vick can throw it 80 yards I am not sure he has Young's accuracy. I'd rate him 1-4.

Johnathon Scott. I'd really consider this kid a franchise LT. He is quick enough to pull for running plays to the right as well as block guys to a dead standstill on a pass rush that made all conference. I'd consider him my top overall draft pick, 1.

Lendale White. He is a big back but not without speed. He gets north and south as the cliche goes and he has incredinly strong legs. I'd consider him a top 10 guy. If Bush was not on that squad I'd suspect he would have won the Heisman. His TDs on the year were unbelievable. Say 6-10.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Someone said this on the main board, but I think the combine will really form most opinions on him. Jim, I agree that his awkward throwing motion makes him seem like an unnatural passer at times; the results are there, but something still seems iffy. Still, the improvement he has made over the years as a passer would seemingly have to be attractive for NFL GMs.

I have the same difficulty judging Young at times that I have with Leinart. They have such wide open passing lanes in college that it is hard, for me at least, to sometimes make that comparison to the NFL. Young's arm doesn't strike me as weak, but like Leinart, he floats a number of passes into his receivers.

Like a number of this year's prospects, a boom-or-bust talent. The ceiling is awfully darn high though with that kid. And like T-New said, his performances in big games cannot be ignored. The guy has the drive, that's for sure.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
I think Vince Young will be a Donovan McNabb like QB in the NFL instead of a Michael Vick. McNabb looks for the receivers, Vick just runs and doesn't look.

Vince Young is a much better runner than McNabb however.

ddh33

Reaction score
I don't know, but I would take a chance on him. That kind of talent doesn't come along very often. Yeah, he might get a GM fired...but he might win you a Super Bowl too.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Leinart looks like an accurate short passer to me, an outstanding field general, a near perfect kind of West Coast QB.

He looks like a Drew Brees to Tom Brady type talent and he looks like a replacement for Pennington (on a tradeup with Houston)if the Jets ,decide his injury is chronic.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
... first of all, he obviously needs work on his mechanics. That's a given.

But one thing he has that you can't work on is "It". And he has an over abundance if "it". The reason I wanted Leftwich instead of Newman is cuz he had (has) "It", and Young has a lot more of "it" then Leftwich had (in college).

If there's one person that Young really really reminds me of it's Michael Jordan. The guy just refuses to lose. He absolutely wills his team to win.

I wouldn't mind trading a few picks and players to pick up Vince Young in '07.

FolsomCowboy

Reaction score
I think Young stays to win the Heisman, he is almost a lock to nab it next year and it isnt like those grow on trees