The nerve is officially firing***merged***

superonyx

Reaction score
They weren't leaders of the team until more recent years despite being some of the best at their respective positions in the whole league. Both are well respected and recognized league-wide as having elite careers.
At least you didn't make the comment Typhus made about rings and results.
Ignoring that more people in the hall of fame do not have Super Bowl rings than guys who do including Marino, Butkus, Barry Sanders, Dickerson etc.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This is great news and finally what I was waiting to hear. If he can move his toes and foot, however minute, it only means that he will continue to improve and has a chance to fully recover. I didn't read through the whole thread but am I the only one who thinks they should hold him out until he can play without the brace? Let him practice in all non contact portions of practice and let him continue to improve. When he no longer needs the brace, then he can play in games. That just makes too much sense to me. He has a long career ahead and is very important to the team. Don't rush him.
We are over three months away from the first pre-season game being played. He'll make even more progress between now and then. Let's let that happen before deciding to hold him out.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
At least you didn't make the comment Typhus made about rings and results.
Ignoring that more people in the hall of fame do not have Super Bowl rings than guys who do including Marino, Butkus, Barry Sanders, Dickerson etc.
I'm not accountable for other people's comments about Super Bowl rings and results. The football greatness of some player's careers are undeniable regardless of if the have a ring or not.

None of that has anything to do with the topic at hand... Jaylon Smith's nerve is firing.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The doctors have cleared him. It's okay to play with a brace if needed.

I understand that, I just don't think it's the right call. I'm hoping he improves enough to not need the brace by the time they put him in a real game. It just seems logical to me to let him get to that point before subjecting him to live action.

Reaction score
Not saying they do, who knows until Thurs night,,, just what if we draft say a Zach Cunningham day 1, or possible trade back and still draft this kid.
The LB core would be the new triplets,,, that's crazy best LBer core in the league right there, that day.
We play nickel 70 percent of the time. No need for 3 great LBs in today's NFL

ksg811

Reaction score
I understand that, I just don't think it's the right call. I'm hoping he improves enough to not need the brace by the time they put him in a real game. It just seems logical to me to let him get to that point before subjecting him to live action.

He is at no greater risk of reinjury whether he has the brace or not, that's not how nerves work. Once regeneration begins, it's just a matter of time. A chop block isn't just all of a sudden going to reverse his progress. His body is fully healed, it's just a matter of the nerve fattening and regaining full function.

But like has been mentioned a couple times already, we are 3 months from training camp and 4 months from live action. Let's wait until then before making any decisions.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And so it begins....again.

I read this article and it was great to know that the nerves is moving in a positive direction. But then I couldnt help but chuckle about the people that are hoping this guy is going to be the impact savior to our defense this year. I mean....................the guy is just starting to be able to move his toes? My god, just try running a few steps without being able to lift your foot or your toes. The great thing about Smith is his speed. He is a sideline to sideline LBer that is also incredible in coverage. He is not some big run stuffing MLBer that is going to clog the middle. Take away the speed and how effective can he really be? He may be something special a year or so down the line when his is 80% to 100%, if he ever gets there. But to expect a guy out of football for a year, a rookie, and just starting to be able to lift his toes to come in and make a major impact is a bit of a stretch.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I read this article and it was great to know that the nerves is moving in a positive direction. But then I couldnt help but chuckle about the people that are hoping this guy is going to be the impact savior to our defense this year. I mean....................the guy is just starting to be able to move his toes? My god, just try running a few steps without being able to lift your foot or your toes. The great thing about Smith is his speed. He is a sideline to sideline LBer that is also incredible in coverage. He is not some big run stuffing MLBer that is going to clog the middle. Take away the speed and how effective can he really be? He may be something special a year or so down the line when his is 80% to 100%, if he ever gets there. But to expect a guy out of football for a year, a rookie, and just starting to be able to lift his toes to come in and make a major impact is a bit of a stretch.
3 months is plenty of time for his nerve to get from 80 to 100 percent. Once that happens he'll play to whatever ability he's capable.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He is at no greater risk of reinjury whether he has the brace or not, that's not how nerves work. Once regeneration begins, it's just a matter of time. A chop block isn't just all of a sudden going to reverse his progress. His body is fully healed, it's just a matter of the nerve fattening and regaining full function.

But like has been mentioned a couple times already, we are 3 months from training camp and 4 months from live action. Let's wait until then before making any decisions.

Are you kidding? He will be overcompensating for his bad leg with the other leg and the stability simply wont be there. He is probably more likely to get injured then anything else. The guy just got feeling in his toes. He just was able to finally lift a toe. And how about the fact that he is basically a rookie that hasnt played football in a year?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
3 months is plenty of time for his nerve to get from 80 to 100 percent. Once that happens he'll play to whatever ability he's capable.

Yah right. And you are a doctor and know how is leg will heal? He just started to get the ability to lift a toe? Cmon.

Oh he is 80% now? He can lift his toes and that makes him 80%? Give me a break.

diefree666

Reaction score
Are you kidding? He will be overcompensating for his bad leg with the other leg and the stability simply wont be there. He is probably more likely to get injured then anything else. The guy just got feeling in his toes. He just was able to finally lift a toe. And how about the fact that he is basically a rookie that hasnt played football in a year?

how about the fact that you are pretty much alone in your comments. Find support from a coach or other player or someone like that.
Do you really think you are that much smarter? Or is it simply that you fear being proven wrong and are doubling down?

diefree666

Reaction score
Yah right. And you are a doctor and know how is leg will heal? He just started to get the ability to lift a toe? Cmon.

No you do not deserve a break. And there are certainly doctors who disagree with you.

Proof

Reaction score

Obviously live football is a different animal than controlled drills, but the clips that have been shared have him looking like an animal already. Months of highly impressive videos of him doing agility drills at full throttle. The fact that those were done without the ability to feel/lift his toes is even more encouraging than anything considering that's a huge new hurdle he's cleared with months left before game day. And he doesn't have to be a game changer. We're all hoping for it obviously but as an addition, along with Tapper and whoever we walk away with on the draft and things are looking bright. Relax

speedkilz88

Reaction score

No, 80 to 100 is the target to where his nerve is working well enough for him to move without an issue. And no I'm not a doctor but a doctor on this board explained this months ago.