The nerve is officially firing***merged***

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
how about the fact that you are pretty much alone in your comments. Find support from a coach or other player or someone like that.
Do you really think you are that much smarter? Or is it simply that you fear being proven wrong and are doubling down?

Find support from a player or coach? LOL Is that a joke?

Jaylon Smith will be great if and when he is 100% or close to it and not one day before despite any laughable hopes and wishes. When he shows it on the field and is healthy, we will all see him shine. Its as likely to never happen as it is to happen. We are all hoping for it. But only some are acting like its going to happen immediately this year no problem.

Im not smarter, I'm simply realistic. Werent guys like you telling me last year that we should draft Zeke cuz a defensive rookie wont make an immediate impact? Now your telling me that a rookie, out of football for a year, that is just starting to be able to lift his foot, that will most likely play with a brace is going to make an immediate impact?
Sorry, you can shovel that nonsense and get likes from homers, but not from me pal.

REALITY...........Deal with it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Obviously live football is a different animal than controlled drills, but the clips that have been shared have him looking like an animal already. Months of highly impressive videos of him doing agility drills at full throttle. The fact that those were done without the ability to feel/lift his toes is even more encouraging than anything considering that's a huge new hurdle he's cleared with months left before game day. And he doesn't have to be a game changer. We're all hoping for it obviously but as an addition, along with Tapper and whoever we walk away with on the draft and things are looking bright. Relax

Absolutley the guy has to be a game changer. Its just not likley to happen this year.

So no matter who we draft they will be great as well? You guys really crack me up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No, 80 to 100 is the target to where his nerve is working well enough for him to move without an issue. And no I'm not a doctor but a doctor on this board explained this months ago.

100% is a target for him to move without an issue? You needed a doctor to tell you that?

80%, and you really think he is going to do what at 80%?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
100% is a target for him to move without an issue? You needed a doctor to tell you that?

80%, and you really think he is going to do what at 80%?
What the heck is wrong with you? The target is 80 to a 100 - for the nerve.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No, 80 to 100 is the target to where his nerve is working well enough for him to move without an issue. And no I'm not a doctor but a doctor on this board explained this months ago.

We have a doctor? I would think any legit doctor would not make too many statements without visiting the patient and examining first how can anyone hear make statements of Jaylon future or progress unless they are treating him. We seem to get a lot of one size fits all from our medical staff when fact is no 2 people recovering for an injury will respond the same

Cowboys22

Reaction score
He is at no greater risk of reinjury whether he has the brace or not, that's not how nerves work. Once regeneration begins, it's just a matter of time. A chop block isn't just all of a sudden going to reverse his progress. His body is fully healed, it's just a matter of the nerve fattening and regaining full function.

But like has been mentioned a couple times already, we are 3 months from training camp and 4 months from live action. Let's wait until then before making any decisions.

I'm not worried about about him reinjuring the nerve. It simply goes back to he is a multi million dollar athlete with hopefully a long and bright future ahead. I don't think it's right to put those guys on the field with major injuries that are not fully healed. If he is healing at a solid pace, let that continue before you put him on the field in live action. With this new information and if he is continuing to improve, being able to shed the brace seems like a logical goal for him to meet before actually playing. Protecting his future should be given much more weight than rushing him back to justify the pick. It's simply my opinion and I know he may go play very well even with the brace. If it was my call, he would practice and get ready to go once he could shed the brace. If his recovery stalls and it looked like shedding the brace isn't in the cards, then I let him play.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm not worried about about him reinjuring the nerve. It simply goes back to he is a multi million dollar athlete with hopefully a long and bright future ahead. I don't think it's right to put those guys on the field with major injuries that are not fully healed. If he is healing at a solid pace, let that continue before you put him on the field in live action. With this new information and if he is continuing to improve, being able to shed the brace seems like a logical goal for him to meet before actually playing. Protecting his future should be given much more weight than rushing him back to justify the pick. It's simply my opinion and I know he may go play very well even with the brace. If it was my call, he would practice and get ready to go once he could shed the brace. If his recovery stalls and it looked like shedding the brace isn't in the cards, then I let him play.

I would think his doctors will play a role in all of this. I doubt the Cowboys will put him at risk without consulting with the medical staff.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yah right. And you are a doctor and know how is leg will heal? He just started to get the ability to lift a toe? Cmon.

Oh he is 80% now? He can lift his toes and that makes him 80%? Give me a break.
So are you a doctor? Since you are saying without a doubt he wont be effective this year. Sounds like you are making the same boisterous claims as everyone else. Makes you kind of a hypocrite if you think about it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Sorry, I refuse to read his drivel,,, I'm assuming the article is negative. am I right? What do I win?

Pretty much. It's more the timing of the article than anything else. Some of what he says isn't necessarily wrong........... there are still unknowns with Smith. But the only reason Engel wrote that was to be the wet blanket on the positive news on Smith that had just broke from Frisco.

Sydla

Reaction score
So are you a doctor? Since you are saying without a doubt he wont be effective this year. Sounds like you are making the same boisterous claims as everyone else. Makes you kind of a hypocrite if you think about it.

I think some people are struggling to come to grips with the reality that they may have been wrong on Smith and possibly wrong on ripping on Jerry for taking the risk on Smith.

DTown214

Reaction score
This topic is really getting on my nerves.
0mKXcg1.gif

ksg811

Reaction score

Why is the brace such an issue? Do you have a problem with players who have suffered ACL tears wearing braces during games? The brace isn't obstructive and is only a precaution. If you're waiting for full healing, you may never get it with a nerve. He 100% structurally fine and has enough nerve regeneration to look really go. Use caution of course, but let him go out and play.

It's also much too early to have these discussions. We're 4 months from live action. The regeneration has finally reached his toes, meaning it is nearing full (as much as it will) regeneration.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Since he has not played in over a year it is safe to say his draft stock would drop from a consensus top 5 pick to the 10-15 range of the first round. So basically we 'traded' a high 2nd round pick in 2016 for a mid to high 1st rd pick in 2017.

Proof

Reaction score
Absolutley the guy has to be a game changer. Its just not likley to happen this year.

So no matter who we draft they will be great as well? You guys really crack me up.

He doesn't have to be a game changer to warrant excitement or bring immediate improvement to the defense. and as far as "no matter who we draft they will be great".... no. was that said? implied? no. The way the draft is set up, from a defensive talent perspective this year, the odds are that we will find some quality help. The point is that between jaylon (whatever he contributes) tapper, and who we draft, there is an influx of youth and talent heading our way. you don't have to try and position an absolute all or nothing argument.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

LOL.........that is the whole point. NO one can know. NO, I am not a doctor and would never pretend to be one or know. AGAIN, the exact point.

I just find it comical that the fact that he just began to be able to lift his toes throws some people into claiming the guy is guaranteed to be star in 2017. To me it means the opposite.