The NFC East Race

Verdict

Reaction score
Like what? Their star QB and possible league MVP having a season ending injury prior to the playoffs?

I know the NFCE hasn’t had a repeat winner in years but I’m still siding with the Eagles. They just won the SB and have the majority of players returning from that team. They also added depth to their already stout D line. On the other hand, we have question marks all over the place, they don’t. I hope I’m wrong but I won’t be betting against the Eagles not winning the NFCE again, this is different from years past.

Fortunately for the Eagles they had a good enough QB to get the job done. If they didn't have Foles in the wings it may not have happened.

They won in large part to their line play. If they suffer a couple of injuries in key places where they have no depth it could get ugly.

You guys can slather all over the Eagles if you want but we went 13 and 3 with a 4th round rookie QB that started the entire season. That's far more impressive than foles finishing out the year.

It's not just about the injuries. It's about where they occur and whether you have an adequate backup in place. And that's true for every team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd start with which team has the best QB and where does Dak rank in there? I have him at 3rd or 4th, depending on if Manning can rebound.

Next, which team has the best D? And which D is so dependent on one LB that their run D falls apart when he can't play? Has that been fixed as that is likely to happen again

On paper this season, and on the field last season, that was the Eagles and it was really no contest, they were solid. Will they be the first to go back to back in the East since they did it 13 years ago? There is something to the curse of the division champ.

I know the Eagles are probably the most hated team by the majority of members here but to lose key players and do what they did was one of the most impressive things I've seen in the NFL in many years. If they can stay healthy, it's not just the East. The cops need to keep that light pole grease handy because they could make a return trip. Wentz was the best QB in the NFL until he went down. The man took that sophomore slump talk and buried it. So did Goff and that team looks to be the challenger along with MIN.

To the OP's point, I think this is going to be a dogfight among the 3 teams not in Philly. They're just the best team in the East with coaching and talent.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Eagles had everything go right last year. That seldom happens two years in a row.
Yea, everything clicked for them last year, you could see that early on in the season......even when Wentz went down, instead of throwing in the towel the entire team banded together and stepped up their game.......I hated seeing it, but thats how a well coached team does.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I believe the eagles will be better with several key free agent signings coupled with players returning from injury and offensive continuity.

We are definately capable of contending for a wild card birth and perhaps, if we are lucky a playoff win.

Verdict

Reaction score
I believe the eagles will be better with several key free agent signings coupled with players returning from injury and offensive continuity.

We are definately capable of contending for a wild card birth and perhaps, if we are lucky a playoff win.

I think we are a good enough team to contend. If we will be that good every year sooner or later the breaks hopefully go your way.

If Dez "the catch" one and two are actually catches perhaps one of those two games ends up with us lifting the Lombardi Trophy.

We have experienced 3 or 4 of those type of years in 20 plus years. If we contend every year our odds are a lot better.

The Eagles may be even better this year and fail to repeat. It's a long year, especially with a bullseye on your back.

mcmvp

Reaction score
They actually had a lot of injuries I believe like 4-5 key players. But I feel ya. I like your energy

For real...I laughed out loud when I read they had “everything go right”. They faced a ton of adversity.

Flamma

Reaction score
If its.....

Eagles
Giants
Cowboys 8-8

The Garrett era is over. Count on it.

aria

Reaction score
Fortunately for the Eagles they had a good enough QB to get the job done. If they didn't have Foles in the wings it may not have happened.

They won in large part to their line play. If they suffer a couple of injuries in key places where they have no depth it could get ugly.

You guys can slather all over the Eagles if you want but we went 13 and 3 with a 4th round rookie QB that started the entire season. That's far more impressive than foles finishing out the year.

It's not just about the injuries. It's about where they occur and whether you have an adequate backup in place. And that's true for every team.
So they weren’t lucky, they were more prepared and have a better FO. Won’t argue that.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Saquon Barkley and Will Hernandez were two scary nice picks for the Giants. Barkley is a hoss...and he just might "boss" the Cowboys run defense if they are not careful. Even their third pick...B.J. Hill is reportedly another behemoth, space-eating NT to pair with the always formidable "Snacks" Harrison.