*** The Official Garrett Watch Thread ***

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Take your time, Jerry!! You have all the time in the world...
OIP.VDnSg1xHR8VY7mdfD_W_jgHaEK
:facepalm:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
OK, while I was lurking I read some posts over here from people who actually defended Jason Garrett. And there are a couple of points I want to address:

1. One of the things I saw mentioned repeatedly is people blaming the players for "not executing." Do you guys really not see that this is circular reasoning?

If you're going to make that argument, there is no such scenario where a coach would EVER be to blame for a team's struggles.

Because if the players were executing, the team would be successful, and then you really wouldn't want to fire the coach, now would you?

2. So what exactly is the purpose of a head coach again? Because let me remind you some things about Garrett:

Garrett was so bad at play calling that Jerry actually removed his play calling duties, and he hasn't had them since. He was so bad at play calling that Tony Romo publicly called him out at the end of the 2008 season, prompting Garrett to meet with Romo and declare, basically, that they "understand each other now" (Garrett made Romo aware of the fact that he has pictures of Jerry in bed with a sheep and if Romo didn't toe the line, he would be out). He was so bad at play calling that Jerry brought in Dan Reeves after the 2008 off-season to oversee Garrett's offensive game planning, only for Reeves to nope the **** out within a few days after getting a sense of how things worked around there.

So what we have here is a coach who doesn't call the plays (because he sucks at it), doesn't do the offensive game plans, doesn't do the defense, doesn't do special teams, and doesn't even have much say in personnel.

He's a "motivational speaker."

Let me tell you a little about "motivational speakers," folks. If you aren't already motivated, nothing is going to motivate you.

And let me ask you: Where was the sign of this team being motivated to play this year?

Was it when Zeke and Amari removed themselves from games?

Did this look like a team that was laying it all on the line, win, lose, or draw?

Please.

This team looks almost as robotic as their phony robot of a head coach.

And that's the other thing I wanted to mention about Garrett: Everything about him is fake. His smile is fake. His platitudes are fake. His accent is fake. He grew up in Ohio in the wealthiest neighborhood in the state, and went to an Ivy League school, but once he got to the Cowboys and started holding the clipboard, he started talking with a southern accent.

He's one of the bawwws now, don't you know? He's a good 'ole football bawww now.

I suspect he managed to fool Jerry and others that he was some prodigy during those clipboard-holding days in the 90s, but what they missed was that that team didn't really rely on anything fancy in terms of offensive scheme. That offense's success was about as close to being based on pure raw ability as any you will ever see. You had big, powerful offensive linemen with multiple guys with 500+ pound bench presses (and in the last SB year, arguably the greatest guard to ever play the game). You had the greatest FB in NFL history. You had a short, powerful RB with insane durability. You had a big, tough, super-competitive, dominant WR on the outside. You had a freakish athlete at WR on the other side for the first 2 SBs. You had a big, strong-armed, pinpoint accurate QB.

It didn't take a bunch of complex scheming and play calling to make that offense work. What was Garrett learning while he was holding the clipboard?

"Well, we're gonna run Emmitt inside some, and then we'll probably throw a slant to Irvin. He'll shield the corner from the ball. Then we'll throw an outlet to Novacek, then more Emmitt, and then we'll maybe take a deep shot to Harper and let him out-leap the corner. Then we'll throw it up for Irvin."

I guess what Garrett learned is you need like 10 All Pros to have a good offense.

You sound like a cross between a conspiracy theorists and a cartoon artist. Pictures of Jones and a sheep, ya right. Did that one come to you in a dream? You are right to a point, but you're also wrong too. If players actually played better, there would be less coaches fired. Some fired coaches unfortunately didn't have the best talent to work with and that usually falls on the GM for getting the talent.but also unfortunately the head coach is the easy escape goat. Then you're just like the other yahoos that find it a legit comparison between when there was no salary cap and a lot less free agent movement and a game that is played differently than life today in the NFL. Lets not forget that the 90's Cowboys had more talent and DEEP talent than this team. Back then Jones could pay his backups starting pay money because there was no cap and then when the cap came those backups had to be let go who became starters on other teams showing just how deep the talent ran on those 90's teams. There was a year that 10 out of the 11 starting offense were Pro Bowlers that no other team before or since has done. Yet you seem to think that comparing that situation to this team is somehow legit. Oh by the way, it was just Larry Allen who had the 500+ pounds but then he was also the strongest man in the NFL. Lastly many if not most of the other coaches and front office personnel have respect for Garrett and not a single person has ever said anything about fake smiles or platitudes but have talked about his character, and football knowledge and his ability to keep an even head and not let emotions rule his decisions.

You on the other hand let your hatred see things that aren't there. I think Jones is just letting Garrett's contract officially expire before moving on to the next coach. I also think Garrett will be back coaching some place else, maybe not as a head coach again right away, but someday sooner rather than later he will be. Oh one more thing, if Garrett was truly as bad and was so fake as you think there would be a list a mile long of former players and coaches that have said those types of things yet there's only been two, one of which has complained about things on every team he was ever on, Owens. So that count as zilch.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
oh I agree. But looking at it from Jerrys mind..he thinks he is playing it cool and pulling the wool over our eyes. Remember..he thinks he is a football guy, so he wants to frame this dumpster fire just so. He never will get it.
Yep Jerry gets up every day and his first thought is to troll the fans. :lmao: The gold keeps coming!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
OK, while I was lurking I read some posts over here from people who actually defended Jason Garrett. And there are a couple of points I want to address:

1. One of the things I saw mentioned repeatedly is people blaming the players for "not executing." Do you guys really not see that this is circular reasoning?

If you're going to make that argument, there is no such scenario where a coach would EVER be to blame for a team's struggles.

Because if the players were executing, the team would be successful, and then you really wouldn't want to fire the coach, now would you?

2. So what exactly is the purpose of a head coach again? Because let me remind you some things about Garrett:

Garrett was so bad at play calling that Jerry actually removed his play calling duties, and he hasn't had them since. He was so bad at play calling that Tony Romo publicly called him out at the end of the 2008 season, prompting Garrett to meet with Romo and declare, basically, that they "understand each other now" (Garrett made Romo aware of the fact that he has pictures of Jerry in bed with a sheep and if Romo didn't toe the line, he would be out). He was so bad at play calling that Jerry brought in Dan Reeves after the 2008 off-season to oversee Garrett's offensive game planning, only for Reeves to nope the **** out within a few days after getting a sense of how things worked around there.

So what we have here is a coach who doesn't call the plays (because he sucks at it), doesn't do the offensive game plans, doesn't do the defense, doesn't do special teams, and doesn't even have much say in personnel.

He's a "motivational speaker."

Let me tell you a little about "motivational speakers," folks. If you aren't already motivated, nothing is going to motivate you.

And let me ask you: Where was the sign of this team being motivated to play this year?

Was it when Zeke and Amari removed themselves from games?

Did this look like a team that was laying it all on the line, win, lose, or draw?

Please.

This team looks almost as robotic as their phony robot of a head coach.

And that's the other thing I wanted to mention about Garrett: Everything about him is fake. His smile is fake. His platitudes are fake. His accent is fake. He grew up in Ohio in the wealthiest neighborhood in the state, and went to an Ivy League school, but once he got to the Cowboys and started holding the clipboard, he started talking with a southern accent.

He's one of the bawwws now, don't you know? He's a good 'ole football bawww now.

I suspect he managed to fool Jerry and others that he was some prodigy during those clipboard-holding days in the 90s, but what they missed was that that team didn't really rely on anything fancy in terms of offensive scheme. That offense's success was about as close to being based on pure raw ability as any you will ever see. You had big, powerful offensive linemen with multiple guys with 500+ pound bench presses (and in the last SB year, arguably the greatest guard to ever play the game). You had the greatest FB in NFL history. You had a short, powerful RB with insane durability. You had a big, tough, super-competitive, dominant WR on the outside. You had a freakish athlete at WR on the other side for the first 2 SBs. You had a big, strong-armed, pinpoint accurate QB.

It didn't take a bunch of complex scheming and play calling to make that offense work. What was Garrett learning while he was holding the clipboard?

"Well, we're gonna run Emmitt inside some, and then we'll probably throw a slant to Irvin. He'll shield the corner from the ball. Then we'll throw an outlet to Novacek, then more Emmitt, and then we'll maybe take a deep shot to Harper and let him out-leap the corner. Then we'll throw it up for Irvin."

I guess what Garrett learned is you need like 10 All Pros to have a good offense.
Uh oh, another one has joined the ranks.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Keeping him until his contract expires on the 14th? This would be asinine!! I don’t believe Jerry is this dumb, and I don’t think Garrett would want this either.

Jerry could easily allow Garrett out of his contract early without firing him!

The longer this last the more chance Garrett stays as HC! Why the hell is he interviewing players?

The ONLY way Garrett could leave early without being fired is if Garrett resigns but if Garrett wants to keep his job why would he resign?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Garrett's contract expires on the 14th. They will probably let Garrett finish that out then announce Garrett is getting a Front Office position and the new coach search will start. VP of Football Operations or something.

Let's face it. The Jones family loves Garrett. I actually don't expect him to leave the franchise. He will stay in some capacity. That's what I am thinkin'...

And just what would the new VP of football operations do that Jerry, Stephen, Charlotte and Jerry Jr. don't already do?

stiletto

Reaction score
And just what would the new VP of football operations do that Jerry, Stephen, Charlotte and Jerry Jr. don't already do?

Pretty much the same thing...sit around and talk themselves into bad decisions as usual. Garrett fits right in, in that regard...

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Yep Jerry gets up every day and his first thought is to troll the fans. :lmao: The gold keeps coming!

He cain't possibly have time for that. He's too busy slant drilling, blocking the sun and taking candy from a baby.