The Official Trey Lance Thread concerning the game

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I understand a lot of fans want to move on from Dak. I feel the same way.

That being said. Don’t let desire for something different cloud your judgment. Trey Lance ain’t it.

If the cowboys are going to move on from Dak we need to draft a good QB prospect this upcoming draft.

If Trey was the man, no way in h—- niners are getting rid of him. We have been bamboozle again in a trade.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I like Lance, he's just too inconsistent. He makes some big-time throws, followed by brutally bad ones. He seems to throw better on the move, but an NFL QB has to be able to operate from the pocket.
I have not really seen any big time throws.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Rush has won in this league. Trey hasn't done anything. Trey has trouble against 3rd and 4th stringers. If Trey jumps Rush then it shows that Jerry's pulling the strings again.
He won't. Jerry's comments IMO show that he's viewing Lance as a developmental prospect, which is how he should be viewed. When you have a developmental prospect, you understand that there are going to be some bumps in the road, but you believe those can be fixed as the player develops. So what you are looking for are good traits that make you think the player is worth developing.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Rush has won in this league. Trey hasn't done anything. Trey has trouble against 3rd and 4th stringers. If Trey jumps Rush then it shows that Jerry's pulling the strings again.
Crazy that people discount the positive things Trey did today. He showed he is far more talented than Rush.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Crazy that people discount the positive things Trey did today. He showed he is far more talented than Rush.
He clearly has more talent than Rush. He clearly does not have more football savvy than Rush.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
He won't. Jerry's comments IMO show that he's viewing Lance as a developmental prospect, which is how he should be viewed. When you have a developmental prospect, you understand that there are going to be some bumps in the road, but you believe those can be fixed as the player develops. So what you are looking for are good traits that make you think the player is worth developing.
He's not a rookie though. How long do you wait trying to make him into something he's not.? He's a good athlete. Just not a Qb.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
He clearly has more talent than Rush. He clearly does not have more football savvy than Rush.
Rush isn't savvy, he is ultra conservative, they call a ultra conservative game when he has to fill in. It will be the same for Lance if he is the #2, ultra conservative with a few more ROP, and QB draws.

gimmesix

Reaction score
He's not a rookie though. How long do you wait trying to make him into something he's not.? He's a good athlete. Just not a Qb.
I don't know. He's not a rookie, but there are rookies with more football experience than him (college and pro). For example, Jayden Daniels attempted more than 1,400 passes in college, counting actual games played. Lance has attempted just over 400 (318 in college, just over 100 as a pro ... not counting preseason games).

I don't mind trying to develop a player with so little actual experience, but it really comes down to if we can re-sign him on a developmental deal. If we can get him to return for cheap, then let him be the developmental QB for another year or two. Realistically, that's probably when we'll actually be ready to move on from Dak unless we do better in the playoffs (if he signs an extension, then there will probably be an out for the team after three years). Either Lance shows by then that he deserves a chance at the still young age of 26 or we move on. But again, that's only if we can get him to agree to a cheap deal.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Rush isn't savvy, he is ultra conservative, they call a ultra conservative game when he has to fill in. It will be the same for Lance if he is the #2, ultra conservative with a few more ROP, and QB draws.
Rush has a great football mind. He reads the field quickly and knows where he needs to go with the ball. He's lacking in skills, which is why he's no more than a backup, but I see no reason to insult his football IQ. That is an area where Lance is lacking right now, and where we don't know if he'll be able to improve with time.

plymkr

Reaction score
I said it during the game and I'll say it again. Extend him 2 years, high incentives, low salary, and let him try to win the job. Whether they move on from Dak or not, bring in a high round rookie to compete. Something we should've done years ago.

Before anyone says there's a good chance it won't work...I know...I'm aware. After 8 years, Dak hasn't shown he's worth a record contract to this team. If he fails again, it's time to move on. Maybe Lance is the guy, maybe he isn't, but he has shown a ton of potential and if the game does slow down for him, he will be a superstar. If not, we figure it out.
You pretty much summarized exactly how I feel about Lance and what I wish we could do. You pretty much nailed it. Nice post.

I want to piggy back on this post by saying I feel our ticket out of the WC round is not on the roster.

DStar22

Reaction score
Lance needs some more development about passing in traffic, and when to and not to thread the needle, but he looks like he has a lot of possible upside.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
And? We already paid him. We need a QB3. There is no benefit to cutting him. Maybe I am missing something. Is there some awesome QB3 out there?
By Tuesday at 4:00 PM Eastern a lot of QBs will be released and/or placed on teams’ practice squads. It’s likely more experienced QBs will be available. There will be plenty more capable than Lance. Jerry isn’t going to make any QB move.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You are the naive one. The plan has been obvious from the minute they traded for Trey. They are going to let Dak go after this year, Trey will get a chance next year, and I wouldn't be surprised if they take a QB in next year's draft, and/or sign a experienced young QB.( Someone like Davis Mills) But Lance will be given a chance. Watch and see...
If he gets a chance it’s so we can go winless and tank. He’s not even better than Rush.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Based on Trey's inconsistent play, he'll be a good fit for this team.

Someone, on another forum had this to say about the Cowboys performance:

I think it's pretty remarkable that the Cowboys are in Playoff Mode already. That's . . . quite a thing to pull off.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lance needs some more development about passing in traffic, and when to and not to thread the needle, but he looks like he has a lot of possible upside.
The last 4 years in the NFL improved what part of his game coming out of college?

Is he still a good young athlete with potential???

Has anything changed?

He still needs experience. How is he going to get that on the bench this year???

6 years removed from starting in college, is Trance still in the exact position he was coming out of college???