The Official Trey Lance Thread concerning the game

plymkr

Reaction score
Lance showed some flashes but I don't think he will ever be consistent enough to be a NFL quarter. He struggles to read defenses when his first read is not there.

He has career backup written all over him.
If I look at Trey without the extreme filters on there was a good and bad:
Bad: obviously the interceptions and fumbles. He fumbled but we didn’t lose the ball but he has to hold on to it. He’s still missing wide open receivers. Still throwing high and off the mark. Accuracy is an issue.

Good: He picked up and read some blitzes and got the ball out. He’s very dangerous outside the pocket. He can extend drives with his legs. And he can extend the play. There was a couple plays where I thought it would be a sack but he got away. He has a short memory. He threw some picks but then had a good drive to start the 4th qtr.

Overall I think he is what he is, a borderline backup QB that might be a huge tease but never delivers. I think if Dak leaves then I’d like to sign Trey to an incentive laiden contract while also drafting or bringing in another QB to compete for QB1. If Dak is resigned I still would want Trey to be signed to a low contract and be QB2 and still try to develop him.

I feel if people were looking for a reason to dump Dak or to resign Dak then the last preseason game is not a good indicator of Dak’s future.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
By Tuesday at 4:00 PM Eastern a lot of QBs will be released and/or placed on teams’ practice squads. It’s likely more experienced QBs will be available. There will be plenty more capable than Lance. Jerry isn’t going to make any QB move.
Get a grip. No one has a great #3. We've got someone who everyone loved four years ago.

Nav22

Reaction score
We are in QB purgatory now, and holding on to Dak only assure that we stay there. He is an average QB, demanding 20 percent of the salary cap.
Yeah okay, he's the worst All-Pro QB and MVP runner-up in NFL history. Whatever you say.
:laugh:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I don't know. He's not a rookie, but there are rookies with more football experience than him (college and pro). For example, Jayden Daniels attempted more than 1,400 passes in college, counting actual games played. Lance has attempted just over 400 (318 in college, just over 100 as a pro ... not counting preseason games).

I don't mind trying to develop a player with so little actual experience, but it really comes down to if we can re-sign him on a developmental deal. If we can get him to return for cheap, then let him be the developmental QB for another year or two. Realistically, that's probably when we'll actually be ready to move on from Dak unless we do better in the playoffs (if he signs an extension, then there will probably be an out for the team after three years). Either Lance shows by then that he deserves a chance at the still young age of 26 or we move on. But again, that's only if we can get him to agree to a cheap deal.
At this point Lance needs to play if he is going to develop. If the Cowboys are in a position to give him sufficient playing time this is a place he would want to be. If not he’ll want to go somewhere he can play.

plymkr

Reaction score
Lol, said by one of the biggest bust picks in NFL history.
Lol. Technically what RG3 said is correct. Lance can be a game changer. One play he can get out of the pocket and score a TD. The next play he can completely miss the WR for a pick 6. Just depends on how you want the game to change.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If we are looking for our next QB1 let’s go get someone fresh and not a bust. I was fine with giving him a shot until today. It finally hit me 49ers knew what we are just finding out.
Weird. Today showed by far the most potential.

Still a long way from ready though.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I said it during the game and I'll say it again. Extend him 2 years, high incentives, low salary, and let him try to win the job. Whether they move on from Dak or not, bring in a high round rookie to compete. Something we should've done years ago.

Before anyone says there's a good chance it won't work...I know...I'm aware. After 8 years, Dak hasn't shown he's worth a record contract to this team. If he fails again, it's time to move on. Maybe Lance is the guy, maybe he isn't, but he has shown a ton of potential and if the game does slow down for him, he will be a superstar. If not, we figure it out.
Do you honestly think his agent would allow him to do that ?
Not a chance in hell, he will be looking for a contract next year, as a 4 year QB. For better or for worse, not paying him.
Lance is not the guy !

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
The objective reality is he’s still a “ project” four years in after being the overall 4th pick which is kinda crazy .. Thats who Lance is. .

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Get a grip. No one has a great #3. We've got someone who everyone loved four years ago.
Not great. Better than Lance. If you’re down to your QB3 your season is lost anyway so an upgrade is pointless. A good measure of QB2s is how many games have they started and their team won. After cut down look at what teams have as their QB2s. Some teams take it seriously and some don’t. The Chiefs back up has won 50 starts and has a winning record in games started. And he is never going to play, even one snap, sans injury to Mahomes. Dallas, it’s Prescott and a huge drop off. It’s just Jerry’s way.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
While it might not be admitted, there are some disappointed little Pandas in this thread.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Not great. Better than Lance. If you’re down to your QB3 your season is lost anyway so an upgrade is pointless. A good measure of QB2s is how many games have they started and their team won. After cut down look at what teams have as their QB2s. Some teams take it seriously and some don’t. The Chiefs back up has won 50 starts and has a winning record in games started. And he is never going to play, even one snap, sans injury to Mahomes. Dallas, it’s Prescott and a huge drop off. It’s just Jerry’s way.
The Chiefs backup? Are you freaking kidding me that Carson Wentz is "taking it seriously?"

reddyuta

Reaction score
You cant teach accuracy at this level but i also question his eyesight,no idea where he is throwing sometimes.

Illiniferret

Reaction score
I absolutely see why he was drafted like he was. He is an athletic specimen that checks all the boxes. Unfortunately he isn't that great at playing QB. I can see why coaches and GMs who naturally think they are the smartest people in the room, feel all they have to do is coach him up and he will be a star. Not sure at this point that will ever be a thing.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Every single Interception he threw in that game, we have seen the same type of int with dak.

This pretending that we have Aaron Rodgers as our starter and some of us want Zach Wilson to play is insanity.

Does anybody remember that int Dak threw in the endzone against the Cardinals last year???
Difference is that Dak struggles against the top tier teams in the league and absolutely demolishes the scrub teams.

Lance just played against a bunch of dudes that will be working at Home Depot come week one and had 5 picks.

Little bit of a difference their buddy.