The Official Trey Lance Thread concerning the game

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Majority of us know Dak is not the answer and is not worth dumping an insane amount of money into extending him. He's not that guy and never will be.

However, Lance is not the answer either and I never understood the hype with this kid. To me he's a bust bur hope he proves me wrong since he's on the cowboys now.

Honestly would get what I could for CD and Dak(no trade clause) and shore up run defense, rb, ol depth this post season /draft. Don't think this is a friendly QB draft(i believe) and would look to secure one the following year. Sign parsons as long as he's not going to be to unreasonable / toxic
No "generational" type QBs in this coming draft, this is really not a good year to tank for one.

Top three by most rankings are Deion's boy from Colorado, Ewers from my beloved Longhorns, and the kid from Georgia.....................like I said, this is not the year to be tanking for a QB.

plymkr

Reaction score
Do you honestly think his agent would allow him to do that ?
Not a chance in hell, he will be looking for a contract next year, as a 4 year QB. For better or for worse, not paying him.
Lance is not the guy !
What kind of contract do you think he’ll get with another team?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Trey Lance today:

• 34 - 49, 323 Passing Yards
  • 5 INT
  • 52.9 Passer Rating
  • 2 Fumbles
ABSOLUTE *** :p:facepalm::espn:

Screenshot-20240824-195259-X.jpg
Man, you could just spam the "triangle button" on your playstation playing Madden and your QB would not have stats this bad..................59 QB rating with 5 picks and 2 fumbles.:facepalm:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
They are mutually exclusive. Not sure why you can't comprehend that.

Jerry thought he was trading for a future starting QB, when the Niners had already figured out he was not a QB.
Exactly................people that don't understand this, clearly do not understand what sunk cost fallacy is.

Just because the 49ers traded three 1st round picks for him, they did not let that influence their decision that he sucks and therefore, they did the appropriate thing and ditched him off to some sucker for the best offer they could get.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I’d say his ceiling is Lamar. He doesn’t have his wheels but he won’t ever be Lamar. I’m really confused to why 49ers spent 3 firsts on him with such little experience.
49ers were totally just projecting how he would play in the pros.

Sometimes you project a player to be X and the player actually turns out to be Y..................it happens with drafting.

When it became fairly obvious that Lance was never going to be a legit starting level QB, the 49ers ignored their sunk cost (3 firsts) and instead dealt him to the team giving them the best offer, which of course was Dallas.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
One of his biggest advantages was protecting the ball, until today. Was the stage too big for him or what? I just don't see him as a long term answer at QB.
Stage too big for him:huh:

It was a preaseason game, at home, against a bunch of dudes that will be working at Home Depot come week one, and they literally were just dropping into a basic zone pure vanilla scheme on defense.

If you look like dog piss and throw 5 picks against that, you honestly dont belong in the pros.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I understand a lot of fans want to move on from Dak. I feel the same way.

That being said. Don’t let desire for something different cloud your judgment. Trey Lance ain’t it.

If the cowboys are going to move on from Dak we need to draft a good QB prospect this upcoming draft.
I totally agree -- it's what I've been thinking for a while now. His accuracy seems likely to remain similar to Dak's -- too inconsistent.

Last edited:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If we are looking for our next QB1 let’s go get someone fresh and not a bust. I was fine with giving him a shot until today. It finally hit me 49ers knew what we are just finding out.
Did posters actually think the 49ers were trading us a franchise QB???

Shanny watched this dude throwing picks all over the field in practice every day and was like "I'm out, lets find a sucker to trade with".

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Man, you could just spam the "triangle button" on your playstation playing Madden and your QB would not have stats this bad..................59 QB rating with 5 picks and 2 fumbles.:facepalm:
It actually was a 52.9 passer rating, 7 points less than 59. Ouch!

Hadenough

Reaction score
It doesn't take a genius to figure out why Shanahan was willing to give up on Lance AND trade him to your biggest rival. As usual Jerry brings in someone else's scraps to sell to the public as the future answer to a championship.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
I think this is overblown. The INTs and fumbles are bad.

However, there was an excellent TD pass before this that was dropped, and at least one of the INTs shouldnt have been. He was obviously trying to force stuff at the end of the game.

The guy has barely played football. He is still very young....and his physical tools are off the charts....giving up on him would be ********

stinkface

Reaction score
No "generational" type QBs in this coming draft, this is really not a good year to tank for one.

Top three by most rankings are Deion's boy from Colorado, Ewers from my beloved Longhorns, and the kid from Georgia.....................like I said, this is not the year to be tanking for a QB.
Deons boy might be a clone to our boy. This season for him will mean a lot.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I don't know. He's not a rookie, but there are rookies with more football experience than him (college and pro). For example, Jayden Daniels attempted more than 1,400 passes in college, counting actual games played. Lance has attempted just over 400 (318 in college, just over 100 as a pro ... not counting preseason games).

I don't mind trying to develop a player with so little actual experience, but it really comes down to if we can re-sign him on a developmental deal. If we can get him to return for cheap, then let him be the developmental QB for another year or two. Realistically, that's probably when we'll actually be ready to move on from Dak unless we do better in the playoffs (if he signs an extension, then there will probably be an out for the team after three years). Either Lance shows by then that he deserves a chance at the still young age of 26 or we move on. But again, that's only if we can get him to agree to a cheap deal.
That's kinda one of the issues though, that he needs all of this time, effort and money to get him to that point. We could just draft a QB coming out next season and be as much or even further along in their development than where Lance is today, but would be younger and cost less. This is year 4 and should be further along in his development, he's had time and means on his own to work out his mechanics, it's not all on the 9ers and Cowboys to fix those issues. His athleticism and legs are intriguing, but 4 years in, still struggles with basic passes a QB should make at any level, passes into the flat should not be an adventure.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think this is overblown. The INTs and fumbles are bad.

However, there was an excellent TD pass before this that was dropped, and at least one of the INTs shouldnt have been. He was obviously trying to force stuff at the end of the game.

The guy has barely played football. He is still very young....and his physical tools are off the charts....giving up on him would be ********
Yup.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Did posters actually think the 49ers were trading us a franchise QB???

Shanny watched this dude throwing picks all over the field in practice every day and was like "I'm out, let’s find a sucker to trade with".
Jerry loves the kid.

Lance is climbing the mountain.

INTs in a scrub preseason game isn’t going to stop Lance.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Predictably, everyone is burying Trey Lance for the 5 INTs, but the problematic struggles have occurred even outside of them. The Cowboys turned Lance loose this preseason — he attempted 113 passes over 3 games. But he only averaged 5.9 yards per attempt, which would've ranked 27th of 28 qualifying QBs last year. He simply hasn't managed to be efficient when throwing at a higher volume. INTs obviously compound the problem