The Official Trey Lance Thread concerning the game

Chasing6

Reaction score
Since Trey can't play at the pro level, why keep him and use a costly roster spot for him when it can be used for another player of need? Just take the $5 million contract loss and move on with only Dak and Cooper Rush.
He should be moved to the practice squad. If he gets picked up by another team, then wish him the best. If we get lucky, very lucky, maybe we get a comp pick out of it somehow.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He will get plenty of reps next season.
God luck with that. He will suck then too because he won’t have any reps played between then and now. Then we will say oh it’s only year 5 he’s still a project.

I’m rooting for him but man you guys have to stop being naive and believing what Jerry sells you. The 49ers spent three first round picks on Lance and determined in 3 seasons they can’t do anything with him. Now if the 49ers can’t develop him why on earth do you guys think the Dallas Cowboys can?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He made several good accurate throws (you don't complete 67 percent of your passes without some) and even a deep one that should have been caught in the end zone. Unfortunately, he also made several poor throws that you just can't make, showing that he needs more experience if he's going to develop into even a quality No. 2 QB.
I think year 4 in the league. Too much time needed to try to make him into a number 2. You draft one that may have potential. He is never going to be anything better than a #2

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think we really wanted Lance show he could handle the #2.

In that situation, you can develop a few packages for him that are primarily RPO. The running QB skills are very good and it lets you take some of that off Dak.

But if he can't beat out Cooper Rush with a full TC and pre-season, well, it isn't looking good.

I still don't have any problem with the trade. We gave up a 4th for a guy who the 49ers invested three first in. That's a decent price for a look see on someone who was very highly regarded coming out of college.
Yeah, I definitely think this game takes using him for some short-yardage or RPO plays out of the equation. Just needs a lot more work. I really think the best thing for him would be playing in the USFL (or whatever it is) next spring. He needs those live game snaps to learn to read those underneath defenders, when to take risks, etc.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Saw a lot of good from Lance, but also a lot of bad. Some of those throws were awful especially the int’s. But his mobility was in elite status. He also had some good throws. A lot of them. But he showed why he’s not ready and needs another year or 2. But good showing and I think some teams might be calling the GM about a trade.
Wow my man can be objective, lol! You are bang on my friend, but the non-objective fans of this team in here are just too narrow minded to see things as you do. You menion what I have been saying, and nobody and I mean nobody should think Trey is ready to take over for Dak right now. I don't believe for a second that Jerry does either, but he, like you and I are watching some very encouraging plays from him while at the same time watching some horrible plays that prove the is nowhere close to game ready. As I stated 100x, Jerry is surely hoping to see enough out of Trey to list him as QB 2, and if things fall apart with Daak coming back he can further determine if he is worth further investment. and time. The trouble is of course will there be reps for him to do so? If Jerry decides to move on from Dak nothing is stopping him from resigning Trey next year and finding a Vet to play and be our QB 1 for a year....I don't think the bads in this game will change things in his mind

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Big and serious question here.

Should the Niners fork out $50M+ for Purdy when his contract comes do, or should they just draft another QB with a lot of experience coming out of college?

They have proven a well balanced team can make a QB's job significantly easier.

In theory they could trade Purdy. Most likely get a high draft pick in exchange and save $50M+ to continue to make sure they keep a well balanced team for their next QB.
their well-balanced team will soon become seriously in question due to aging players, and contracts coming due on current star players. The 9ers window to win is very much in doubt soon, and now is the time. If they can manage to win a ring this year I think you could be very right, and if a fan of their team I'd be confident they can rebuild in short order. As a fan of this team, we know this is just a dream

FaSho

Reaction score
I like Lance, he's just too inconsistent. He makes some big-time throws, followed by brutally bad ones. He seems to throw better on the move, but an NFL QB has to be able to operate from the pocket.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Trey showed what he is today. He's a 4th year player. He's not a rook or even a 2nd year player. Since he's already been paid, may as well keep him on the roster at QB3. No one is trading a dime for him.

He's an unrestricted FA at the end of the season. Let him walk. It's not like Jerrah hasn't wasted 4th round picks before. Just throw this one into the wind.

There's no point hoping that he can play. He can't.
He missed most of the 1st season with the broken finger.

Missed most of 2022 with the broken leg.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I like Lance, he's just too inconsistent. He makes some big-time throws, followed by brutally bad ones. He seems to throw better on the move, but an NFL QB has to be able to operate from the pocket.
The kid is fire.

Will win many games for us.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Reality is he would be cut after camp on any other NFL roster. Jerruh saved him on this 53 since he cost a 4th round pick.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score

Of course, they play their best when their backs are up against the wall, including our HC. The problem is, if Dak is not signed before the season starts and balls out, his price will escalate way more out of reach than it is now. MM will never come back to this clown show, and Lamb will sign before Week 1. Dak is betting on himself, and if not signed before the season starts will definitely test free agency. Frankly, so he should as we should also see how the dominoes of FA QB's fall and likely will have to

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It means nothing with the 5 picks. If he had 200 yards 2 touchdowns and on interceptions I’m fine with that.

I can’t win in this league throwing 5 interceptions. Just can’t. The objective is to win.
Of course.

The INTs stink.

But we are looking for our next QB1 and the kid can play.

He’s lit up camp and preseason.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The CEO has spoken.

The face of a man who can never admit mistakes. Starting with being the oldest GM in NFL history who has not won two playoff games in a row since my 40 year old son was 12.

A rich fool is the most dangerous fool. His wealth gives him false bravado and he’s surrounded by sycophants who won’t tell him his time has long passed. A rich fool cannot learn or look in the mirror. It is truly a sad situation for us Cowboys fans.

The only wealth that matters in competitive sports is the win column.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think year 4 in the league. Too much time needed to try to make him into a number 2. You draft one that may have potential. He is never going to be anything better than a #2
Maybe, but as the broadcasters mentioned today, he's thrown more passes this preseason than he's threw the entirety of his college career (318). In the NFL, he's only thrown 102 passes in actual games. The player just doesn't have a lot of experience, and with that comes mistakes like he made reading coverage and throwing the 50/50 ball that his receiver lost.

He needs work and McCarthy likes to keep three QBs anyway, so there's nothing wrong with keeping him instead of grabbing another developmental QB. I mean, I'd rather have him than a Will Grier taking up that roster spot. I really wish the player union would let NFL teams assign players to a league like the UFL to gain experience. It will be tough on him to ever get up to speed just playing in the preseason. He needs to make mistakes like he had in this one and be able to come back in the next game and show he's learned from them.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
He missed most of the 1st season with the broken finger.

Missed most of 2022 with the broken leg.
and didn't play the Covid year...so yeah, he's a 4th year vet who should be destroyed for how he is playing. There will be no convincing the haters on here, they don't want to hear facts they just want to live in the now. Trey may indeed just be a bust, but to expect otherwise right now is just silly