The Official Trey Lance Thread concerning the game

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Difference is that Dak struggles against the top tier teams in the league and absolutely demolishes the scrub teams.

Lance just played against a bunch of dudes that will be working at Home Depot come week one and had 5 picks.

Little bit of a difference their buddy.
Dak literally struggled against the 4 win Arizona Cardinals this last year

phildadon86

Reaction score
We pretending that Dak is the sole reason for those 12 wins now?

Didnt he miss 5 games one year and we still won 12?
They did.

If you look at the offensive numbers though Rush was getting worse by the game.

A QB that can win a SB is not currently on the cowboys roster. Honestly would have liked them to sit Dak and tell him they are going in a different direction. Waive your no trade or sit.

Then move up in the draft to grab a Drake Maye. Instead. They sit out free agency saying they are broke, only to then free up cap room by signing Dak? It makes no sense. This FO is inept and has been for a long time.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Every single Interception he threw in that game, we have seen the same type of int with dak.

This pretending that we have Aaron Rodgers as our starter and some of us want Zach Wilson to play is insanity.

Does anybody remember that int Dak threw in the endzone against the Cardinals last year???
Nope. But I remember everyone in the anyone but Dak camp talking about Daks training camp interceptions, only to now dismiss Lances interceptions against practice squad guys on the chargers.

Yall can’t have it both ways. The best thing right now is play this season with Dak and let him walk. You get nothing in return but they obviously don’t care, or they would have actively been trying to shop him before the offseason started

ghst187

Reaction score
Here’s the problem on Trey Lance right now, it’s clear he can’t play. However, Jerry is sooooo convinced they he’s much smarter than everyone else combined with a super fragile ego that it will be interesting to see if he tries to continue to force Lance onto the roster and into their long term plans just to avoid looking like a bigger donk for wasting the fourth round pick on him.
Jerry got suckered, at what point will he admit it and cut bait? I don’t think it will be soon. We’ll see.

mardwin

Reaction score
We'll see.

Jerry remembers what life was like between Troy Aikman and Tony Romo.

We got lucky with Romo and we got lucky with Dak. Remember that.
Those Campo years wasn't just the QB. It was a pathetic roster until Bill Parcels focused in building the defense and offensive line. Dallas never took looking for a QB seriously, their approach was to look for baseball talent like Hanson and Hutchinson than drafting a real QB. Quincy was the only QB that was drafted higher than a 4th.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Maybe, but as the broadcasters mentioned today, he's thrown more passes this preseason than he's threw the entirety of his college career (318). In the NFL, he's only thrown 102 passes in actual games. The player just doesn't have a lot of experience, and with that comes mistakes like he made reading coverage and throwing the 50/50 ball that his receiver lost.

He needs work and McCarthy likes to keep three QBs anyway, so there's nothing wrong with keeping him instead of grabbing another developmental QB. I mean, I'd rather have him than a Will Grier taking up that roster spot. I really wish the player union would let NFL teams assign players to a league like the UFL to gain experience. It will be tough on him to ever get up to speed just playing in the preseason. He needs to make mistakes like he had in this one and be able to come back in the next game and show he's learned from them.
so if he doesn't have the experience and needs a lot of time to learn basic stuff, then why waste time? that's my point. because he can run fast? is that it?

I said it before, if he was a 6th round pick then people would have already walked away and forgotten. but because he was the 3rd over all pick, everyone is hanging on with the dear life.

he should have been a 6th or 7th round pick with that type of experience.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Predictably, everyone is burying Trey Lance for the 5 INTs, but the problematic struggles have occurred even outside of them. The Cowboys turned Lance loose this preseason — he attempted 113 passes over 3 games. But he only averaged 5.9 yards per attempt, which would've ranked 27th of 28 qualifying QBs last year. He simply hasn't managed to be efficient when throwing at a higher volume. INTs obviously compound the problem
He has a weird definition of "turned loose", but whatever.

I see a lot of contradictory criticisms with respect to Lance. On the one hand, he hasn't thrown a lot of passes prior to being drafted in the NFL, but he showed enough potential that the 49ers spent a lot of draft capital to trade up to take him at a mere 20 years old. This potential he still shows today in a multitude of plays. On the other hand, he's criticized for his play when he doesn't perform as well for this "green-ness" in situations where he's learning at the highest level (not with starters, but mostly backups and players who are fighting to make the team but aren't starter quality caliber) is often ignored. People say you can't improve accuracy, but that's typically only true if you have thrown it a lot and show no improvement, just like it is with any other skill. But that's not true in the beginning because all high school, college, and professional QBs start throwing the ball as kids at some point with some having immediate talent on display while others not so much and have to work harder at it, but all of them improve on it the more they do it. If a QB is a green then his accuracy can improve although it may not. The same applies to learning in any game type of situation.

Nowhere have the Cowboys organization ever stated that Lance was going to replace Dak this year. McCarthy said he was green, and even Jerry never implied anything like that, only that he would get a lot of snaps in preseason and try to compete with Rush for the backup job.

You can't have it both ways and judge with multiple standards.

ArtClink

Reaction score
He’s the best running back on this roster and I’m totally serious. He might turn into a journeyman backup QB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak literally struggled against the 4 win Arizona Cardinals this last year
and so did the rest of the team. that loss doesn't upset me as much (although every loss does). we are going to lose a few bad games like that. every team will have those "upsets".

the post season play of this team not being ready worried me the most and I blame the coach for that. even arizona game to a degree. they thought, they walk in there and they win just by showing up. we gave up 220+ yards rushing and when you do that, you are going to lose 999 times out of a 1000

and I am not defending Dak. he played bad too. but I am blaming the whole defense. the whole offense. the coaches.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
49ers were totally just projecting how he would play in the pros.

Sometimes you project a player to be X and the player actually turns out to be Y..................it happens with drafting.

When it became fairly obvious that Lance was never going to be a legit starting level QB, the 49ers ignored their sunk cost (3 firsts) and instead dealt him to the team giving them the best offer, which of course was Dallas.
Yeah but this situation isn’t as common. Three firsts for a guy means they saw him and thought he was gonna be a top 3 qb. They saw the next Mahomes and three years later said he can’t play.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope. But I remember everyone in the anyone but Dak camp talking about Daks training camp interceptions, only to now dismiss Lances interceptions against practice squad guys on the chargers.

Yall can’t have it both ways. The best thing right now is play this season with Dak and let him walk. You get nothing in return but they obviously don’t care, or they would have actively been trying to shop him before the offseason started
Apparently....few QB's ARE. The real trick is to be COMPETITIVE. AT the QB position...have someone that won;t screw up too bad.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have not read any of the post yet, but will soon, and I also posted this in another thread.

In spite of Trey's 5 INT's, I still liked what I saw overall. He was more decisive today, had better accuracy. And still had zip on the ball, but not fast balling it.

His INT's.
2 were very good defensive plays. Did the WR screwup? Don't know. We seen Dak get picked quite often from these type of plays. And in big moments of games. With starters.
2 were just poor decisions. We seen Dak do that many of times as well. And in big games. With starters.
The last one, poor throw, forced due to running out of time. He will learn from that. Can't recall Dak having one like that, but I am sure there are similar plays.

Somewhat disappointed but yet encouraged also. I have no issues with this in a preseason game. As he did some very good things.
We seen his athletic ability on that TD run. And Dak can't do that. They need to have some packages in play to take advantage of that.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He has a weird definition of "turned loose", but whatever.

I see a lot of contradictory criticisms with respect to Lance. On the one hand, he hasn't thrown a lot of passes prior to being drafted in the NFL, but he showed enough potential that the 49ers spent a lot of draft capital to trade up to take him at a mere 20 years old. This potential he still shows today in a multitude of plays. On the other hand, he's criticized for his play when he doesn't perform as well for this "green-ness" in situations where he's learning at the highest level (not with starters, but mostly backups and players who are fighting to make the team but aren't starter quality caliber) is often ignored. People say you can't improve accuracy, but that's typically only true if you have thrown it a lot and show no improvement, just like it is with any other skill. But that's not true in the beginning because all high school, college, and professional QBs start throwing the ball as kids at some point with some having immediate talent on display while others not so much and have to work harder at it, but all of them improve on it the more they do it. If a QB is a green then his accuracy can improve although it may not. The same applies to learning in any game type of situation.

Nowhere have the Cowboys organization ever stated that Lance was going to replace Dak this year. McCarthy said he was green, and even Jerry never implied anything like that, only that he would get a lot of snaps in preseason and try to compete with Rush for the backup job.

You can't have it both ways and judge with multiple standards.
everyone keeps talking about potential. what potential? I just don't see it.