The Oscars Are Tonight. Do You Have Any Rooting Interests?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, when Jamie Lee Curtis won Best Supporting Actress, everyone stood and applauded, except her. She had a look, and her crowd grumbled words like “shady”.
I started watching the Oscars after the supporting categories had been presented but have seen the Supporting Actress presentation clip several times. I would not have applauded either, lol.

Everything Everywhere All at Once had been on my to-do list and jumped near the top of it Sunday night. Now I must decide whether to pay twenty bucks to see it on Prime Video. Why is that it's not free to members by now? It's been out for almost a year. It's on Showtime. Maybe I can subscribe-and-cancel a Showtime subscription my way to a free viewing. :)

I had read a few online conversations/articles arguing Jamie Lee Curtis' co-star and co-Best Supporting Actress nominee, Stephanie Hsu, was more deserving than Curtis. And I have watched Angela Bassett in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

Congratulations to Curtis' for her first-time win. She and Bassett have been running fairly close in head-to-head in the award season so far. Looks like Curtis has six wins from the Academy Awards, Alliance of Women Film Journalists, Gold Derby Awards, San Francisco Bay Area Film Critics Circle, Screen Actors Guild Awards and Sunset Film Circle Awards. Bassett has won three times: Critics Choice Awards, Golden Globes, and Hollywood Critics Association.

Both won at the CinEuphoria Awards. Multiple actors, directors, etc., win in the same categories at that award show. I guess it is the participation trophy event of the awards season, lol.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
80‘s Kid here and big fan of the Indiana Jones movies (yes that includes the fourth one, shut up you party poopers lol) and I can't wait to see the last one this year.

I'm happy for the guy even though he was just as annoying as the girl in Temple of Doom lol. But it's part of the lore now, back then we all loved it. And it was heartwarming how Harrison too enjoyed the moment. Didn't watch the Oscars (why would anyone do that lol) but that was cool.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I started watching the Oscars after the supporting categories had been presented but have seen the Supporting Actress presentation clip several times. I would not have applauded either, lol.

Everything Everywhere All at Once had been on my to-do list and jumped near the top of it Sunday night. Now I must decide whether to pay twenty bucks to see it on Prime Video. Why is that no free to members by now? It's been out for almost a year. It's on Showtime. Maybe I can subscribe-and-cancel a Showtime subscription my way to a free viewing. :)

I had read a few online conversations/articles arguing Jamie Lee Curtis' co-star and co-Best Supporting Actress nominee, Stephanie Hsu, was more deserving than Curtis. And I have watched Angela Bassett in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

Congratulations to Curtis' for her first-time win. She and Bassett have been running fairly close in head-to-head in the award season so far. Looks like Curtis has six wins from the Academy Awards, Alliance of Women Film Journalists, Gold Derby Awards, San Francisco Bay Area Film Critics Circle, Screen Actors Guild Awards and Sunset Film Circle Awards. Bassett has won three times: Critics Choice Awards, Golden Globes, and Hollywood Critics Association.

Both won at the CinEuphoria Awards. Multiple actors, directors, etc., win in the same categories at that award show. I guess it is the participation trophy event of the awards season, lol.
one could say a coin flip would have been fair

ESisback

Reaction score

Everything Everywhere All at Once had been on my to-do list and jumped near the top of it Sunday night. Now I must decide whether to pay twenty bucks to see it on Prime Video. Why is that no free to members by now? It's been out for almost a year. It's on Showtime. Maybe I can subscribe-and-cancel a Showtime subscription my way to a free viewing. :)

People applauded because it’s the polite thing to do. A good actress and genuinely nice person won her first ever, and people felt glad for her. Be gracious, win OR lose. Angela Bassett and her crowd weren’t, period. Not a good look. Had Bassett won, I’d wager Curtis would’ve smiled and applauded.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People applauded because it’s the polite thing to do. A good actress and genuinely nice person won her first ever, and people felt glad for her. Be gracious, win OR lose. Angela Bassett and her crowd weren’t, period. Not a good look.
Okay.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
80‘s Kid here and big fan of the Indiana Jones movies (yes that includes the fourth one, shut up you party poopers lol) and I can't wait to see the last one this year.

I'm happy for the guy even though he was just as annoying as the girl in Temple of Doom lol. But it's part of the lore now, back then we all loved it. And it was heartwarming how Harrison too enjoyed the moment. Didn't watch the Oscars (why would anyone do that lol) but that was cool.
Some entertainment fans (in particular) enjoy seeing whether their favorite movie, show, play, actor, documentary, etc., wins an award. Heck. Most entertainment fans, literally, could not care less about the Tony Awards ceremony. However, some Broadway fans do. Maybe even many Broadway fans. Like the old saying. Different strokes. Different folks.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

I can't believe you of all people still haven't seen it. It's a great movie, definitely worth all the accolades it has received. I don't think I would have been surprised if any of those 3 had won, I preferred Hsu over Curtis by the slimmest of margins, but thought Basset had a chance since they might have been splitting the votes.

gtb1943

Reaction score
One could argue that Curtis got the edge by being second generation Hollywood, and is very well liked in the industry.

That happens a lot

But just by seeing how the various awards shows pretty much split between the two either one winning would have been fair

Bassett just showed she has no class

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't believe you of all people still haven't seen it. It's a great movie, definitely worth all the accolades it has received. I don't think I would have been surprised if any of those 3 had won, I preferred Hsu over Curtis by the slimmest of margins, but thought Basset had a chance since they might have been splitting the votes.
I'm slowing down watching movies the older I get, lol. The Oscars tend to follow the Screen Actors Guild award. Curtis won there too. The Academy does trend with the Golden Globes also but not this year in Bassett's case. Oh well.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Yep. There was little choice. And when a big event like that was on the other networks used throw away programming up against it

Now there is so much choice that only the best draws a real audience; and sadly today there is little of that from the networks
I miss those days sometimes. Having to scour the TV guide looking for something to watch. Cranking the antenna rotor control nob too far, seeing your station come in and then disappear.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I'm slowing down watching movies the older I get, lol. The Oscars tend to follow the Screen Actors Guild award. Curtis won there too. The Academy does trend with the Golden Globes also but not this year in Bassett's case. Oh well.
It just seems like the whole multiverse nature of the movie is right up your alley and the way they do it is such a great ride.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It just seems like the whole multiverse nature of the movie is right up your alley and the way they do it is such a great ride.
You are right. There has been tons of talk about Everything Everywhere All At Once and Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, so I have been very interested about seeing someone else's interpretation outside of the comics.

However, I have not had a killer urge to see All At Once. I would have seen it before Madness if I were fifteen or 20 years younger when I was a regular theater goer. Not anymore though. And other things normally dominate my viewing time at home, so I do not always create a block of time for certain stuff.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Haven't seen this movie he won the Oscar for yet. Would you recommend?
Haven't seen it either, but read imdb reviews on it. There are a good portion of people who hate it and think it's unwatchable and others who love it and think it's perfect, hence the oscars wins. Deals with Michelle Yeoh discovering the multiverse and seeing different outcomes of her life. Currently 7.9 rating although it was 8 just the other day.