The Oscars Are Tonight. Do You Have Any Rooting Interests?

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Never cared about the Oscars, even though I love movies.

This time, with a German movie nominated for nine Awards, I'll at least take notice, being a German myself.

Still, never cared about what the critics say, movies just have to be fun. Among my favorites:

1. Smokey and the Bandit
2. Caddyshack
3. The Big Lebowski

'nuff said. :D
The Dude is one of the most unintentionally funny characters EVER written into a moviie. Jeff Bridges absolutely IS The Dude, a guy who is very willing to settle with the idea that his best work is behind him… now if he can just find a way to eke out an existence on his meager past accomplishments. If he can just find a way to subsidize his hobbies of smoking grass, listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival, drinking White Russians, and bowling with Walter and Donnie once a week… well, what more could a middle-aged California slacker want?

I just love the Coen brothers. Even their worst work soars above most of the acclaimed films I see today.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
You are much too kind.

Don't forget the vast majority of them knew about Weinstein and others and did NOTHING for decades.
Then have the nerve to think they have some kind of moral highground to lecture others
:hammer:100% correct

SMASHMOUTH9473

Reaction score
Everything, Everywhere All At Once....my wife and I were enticed so we rented it.

For the movie to have won so many Oscar awards and after watching only the 1st 30 minutes, made me wonder just what in the hell the voters were watching. I guess they had a bucket of mushrooms instead of a bucket of popcorn while casting their ballot !!

Totally disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Everything, Everywhere All At Once....my wife and I were enticed so we rented it.

For the movie to have won so many Oscar awards and after watching only the 1st 30 minutes, made me wonder just what in the hell the voters were watching. I guess they had a bucket of mushrooms instead of a bucket of popcorn while casting their ballot !!

Totally disappointed.
Is it probably somewhat like Scott Pilgrim vs. the world? Which you can only love or hate it seems. Nothing in between.

Even though I got most of the references I just couldn't find it funny and never understood why it was such a big thing.

Finished High School ten years earlier but was still "in the game" enough to understand what's going on. Still never got a hold of it. Superbad on the other hand was awesome lol.

Sometimes we just don't get why a movie wins though. Take Lala Land. Why did it take home so many Oscars? That's Hollywood in their bubble at its best. Totally understand Ghandi or Schindler's List on the other hand for example.

Last edited:

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Thanks, will give it a chance. But hopefully it'll be on Prime for free soon.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

Totally disappointed.
Agreed, watched it twice didn't see what the big deal was. Maybe watching the third time will be the charm?

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Understood. :) Actually I've seen quite a few of those. 2001 was hard though I admit. I get that it was groundbreaking and so on but man did it take patience to sit through lol.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I highly recommend it. It helps if you've seen "Ratatouille" and "In the Mood for Love" first (and "2001" and some Hong Kong martial arts movies and...)
I can check the boxes for Ratatouille, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and a boatload of martial arts movies. Hopefully In the Mood for Love is not too important because I have not seen that one.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
I can check the boxes for Ratatouille, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and a boatload of martial arts movies. Hopefully In the Mood for Love is not too important because I have not seen that one.
(Very small spoiler)

The entire moody set of scenes between Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan that ends with "I would have liked doing laundry and taxes with you" is basically an homage to that movie (and Wong Kar-wai in general).

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Finally sat down and watched Everything Everywhere All At Once this afternoon. It is all that and a bag of chips. Just posted my review in the Rate the last movie you saw thread.

Ke Huy Quan was phenomenal. Michelle Yeoh is a movie star in every sense of the term.

I can only recall seeing Stephanie Hsu before in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and that was forgettable. It was a total 180 for me in this movie. Her performance was Supporting Actress nomination worthy in my book, especially from the 'Everywhere' act forward.

Jamie Lee Curtis was good. Was her performance as good as Hsu's? I understand why social media generally disagrees. If Harry Shum Jr. and Curtis' characters had switched as Jobu Tupaki main 'henchman', Shum's performance would have been just as impactful and meaningful as Curtis.

Yeah. I saw Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Now I have seen Everything Everywhere All At Once. I sided with Angela Bassett's reaction without experiencing both their respective performances. That is no longer the case. Bassett's reaction was rude.

It
Should
Have
Been.

Yibambe Queen Ramonda.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
The Dude is one of the most unintentionally funny characters EVER written into a moviie. Jeff Bridges absolutely IS The Dude, a guy who is very willing to settle with the idea that his best work is behind him… now if he can just find a way to eke out an existence on his meager past accomplishments. If he can just find a way to subsidize his hobbies of smoking grass, listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival, drinking White Russians, and bowling with Walter and Donnie once a week… well, what more could a middle-aged California slacker want?

I just love the Coen brothers. Even their worst work soars above most of the acclaimed films I see today.
I just love how during the whole movie he is always one step ahead by actually being one step behind everyone else.

Does that make sense to you? Then you understand the Dude. :thumbup::laugh: