The Outlier QB vs A 1st Round QB Working Out

Blackrain

Reaction score
Why is it so hard for you guys to just answer a couple of simple questions that the OP is driving at?

Do you believe the chances of Dak succeeding in the postseason are good enough to continue building around him (he is NOT asking what Jones will do or what you think he will do)?

Knowing that Dak would be the first QB to ever start appearing in conference championships or SB’s at this point in his career-should make fans question Dak’s ability to succeed where everyone else has failed (in league history). If you are of the mind that Dak is going to succeed in the playoffs, what evidence do you have to support your case (please say it’s his regular season stats vs the Washingtons, Giants, Panthers of the league)?

If you concede that you do not believe Dak will ever ultimately succeed in the playoffs, what would be the issue as a fan with moving on right now? It’s not the salary cap-see what Denver is about to do with Wilson and his contract.
I believe we should continue to build around Dak.
It's very simple to be successful in the playoffs you need to be able to run the ball and you need to be able to stop the run until we can do that it doesn't matter what quarterback we have how old he is where he was drafted we are not going to be successful.

It's the front office that has to make the commitment to build the team properly and stop taking shortcuts.
These shortcuts are good on the short run and beat up on bad teams and compile statistics but lead to disaster in the playoffs.

That said for us to build around Dak he has to be team friendly and give us the revenue to add the talent for him to be successful.

75boyz

Reaction score
Still some member-to-member finger pointing but there is some mention for where real accountability lies. If one group had their way, Prescott would already be gone. The other group? Prescott would be here until his child reached high school. Thing is, no one has any say so except one guy.

These forum feuds are something else. Members for this quarterback. Members for that quarterback. Very few members could not care less they are screaming at the other group every day from separate life rafts.

Meanwhile, Jerral Wayne Jones is looking down at the commotion in the water below, from the deck of his super yacht, sipping a Johnnie Walker Blue Label Mai Tai, grinning ear-to-ear.
Totally respect your posts bro.
But let me throw one lil nugget at ya so I'll know...
Can the following quarterback and head coach talent at their individual jobs, coaching and quarterbacking, overcome a Jerry Jones to the tune of at least one trophy?

Brady/Belicheck
Mahomes/Reid.

I am of the opinion they could. The results are still to be determined by the likes of Burrow and Allen with their head coaches but those 2 QBs also possess the ability individually to overcome a dysfunctional environment.

Even Stroud last year appeared to have an early start on the type of talent I'm referring to as well.
I mention these additional guys to show that I don't think the great Brady/Belicheck and Mahomes/Reid pairings are exclusive in overcoming a Jerry culture.

To me, it can be done.
It's just gonna take much higher quality than a McFraud and Sleepnumber type talent to get the job done.

We're long overdue in drafting/acquiring/trading for a pedigreed signal caller.
Getting a non yes man HC complicates the need even worse but just maybe Stephen would allow that type of hiring.

Said my peace.
Just my opinion.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Totally respect your posts bro.
But let me throw one lil nugget at ya so I'll know...
Can the following quarterback and head coach talent at their individual jobs, coaching and quarterbacking, overcome a Jerry Jones to the tune of at least one trophy?

Brady/Belicheck
Mahomes/Reid.

I am of the opinion they could. The results are still to be determined by the likes of Burrow and Allen with their head coaches but those 2 QBs also possess the ability individually to overcome a dysfunctional environment.

Even Stroud last year appeared to have an early start on the type of talent I'm referring to as well.
I mention these additional guys to show that I don't think the great Brady/Belicheck and Mahomes/Reid pairings are exclusive in overcoming a Jerry culture.

To me, it can be done.
It's just gonna take much higher quality than a McFraud and Sleepnumber type talent to get the job done.

We're long overdue in drafting/acquiring/trading for a pedigreed signal caller.
Getting a non yes man HC complicates the need even worse but just maybe Stephen would allow that type of hiring.

Said my peace.
Just my opinion.
I respect your opinion here and the previous post I replied to about the quarterback position. I do not even disagree with it.

What I responded to is the contention fellow members should get in line with who is right or wrong at quarterback. No member must change their opinion since no member has any say so in the matter.

So if anyone is 'horrified' Prescott should get booted for a future Hall of Famer or the worst bust ever, I say let 'em be scared to the bone. It doesn't make any difference how anyone here feels about Prescott as far as keeping or replacing him.

Perhaps some focus can shift from members, who are not even trembling in fear, to the one guy on the planet, who has not spent one, single, first round draft pick on a quarterback after his divorce from Jimmy Johnson. That would be a real change on CowboysZone, lol.

75boyz

Reaction score
I respect your opinion here and the previous post I replied to about the quarterback position. I do not even disagree with it.

What I responded to is the contention fellow members should get in line with who is right or wrong at quarterback. No member must change their opinion since no member has any say so in the matter.

So if anyone is 'horrified' Prescott should get booted for a future Hall of Famer or the worst bust ever, I say let 'em be scared to the bone. It doesn't make any difference how anyone here feels about Prescott as far as keeping or replacing him.

Perhaps some focus can shift from members, who are not even trembling in fear, to the one guy on the planet, who has not spent one, single, first round draft pick on a quarterback after his divorce from Jimmy Johnson. That would be a real change on CowboysZone, lol.
Fair enough.
Agreed.

exciter

Reaction score
What’s easier to find?

A Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Stroud, Love, Lawrence, or Lamar?

Or

Tom Brady

Brady is right now the ultimate outlier. The GOAT that everyone passed over multiple times.

Russell Wilson is currently the only active QB to win a Super Bowl and not be drafted in the 1st round.

We have Dak. The Cowboys would have to make NFL history at the point to win a Super Bowl with Dak.

Dak is a 4th rounder, over 30, entering his 9th season on the team that drafted him, all while taking up the majority of the cap. He would have to be the 1st QB in NFL history to win a Super Bowl with all that baggage attached. He would become the ultimate outlier. The outlier of all outliers.

So I ask. Why are some so horrified of drafting a QB high and moving on? The chances that we hit on that QB are astronomically higher than Dak ever leading the Cowboys to a Super Bowl victory. There’s 1st round QB hits almost every year, but there’s never been a QB win anything with Daks baggage.
Lol, hmmm… so Mahommes and a bunch of players Dak greatly outperformed this season?

So the answer to your question…
“The ability to use simple basic reasoning skills”!

Ken

Reaction score
What’s easier to find?

A Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Stroud, Love, Lawrence, or Lamar?

Or

Tom Brady

Brady is right now the ultimate outlier. The GOAT that everyone passed over multiple times.

Russell Wilson is currently the only active QB to win a Super Bowl and not be drafted in the 1st round.

We have Dak. The Cowboys would have to make NFL history at the point to win a Super Bowl with Dak.

Dak is a 4th rounder, over 30, entering his 9th season on the team that drafted him, all while taking up the majority of the cap. He would have to be the 1st QB in NFL history to win a Super Bowl with all that baggage attached. He would become the ultimate outlier. The outlier of all outliers.

So I ask. Why are some so horrified of drafting a QB high and moving on? The chances that we hit on that QB are astronomically higher than Dak ever leading the Cowboys to a Super Bowl victory. There’s 1st round QB hits almost every year, but there’s never been a QB win anything with Daks baggage.
The last two super bowls were within a whisker of being won by a 3rd rounder and Mr. Irrelevant. It took the 1st round GOAT to prevent it.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Not saying this in defense of Dak, but why does where he was drafted matter 9 years after the fact? He's outplayed his draft position so why did what scouts thought of him in 2016 matter now?

Tony Romo and Kurt Warner weren't even drafted; and Romo was one of the best QB's of his generation and Warner is a HOF and Super Bowl winner himself.

And it's easy to cherry pick the QB's drafted in the 1st round that got to Super Bowls and say "this is how you get there". But there are also your fair share of 1st round QB's like Josh Rosen, Mitch Trubisky, Josh Fields, Brady Quinn, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, Blake Bortles, Blaine Gabbert, JaMarcus Russell, Sam Bradford, Christian Ponder, Jameis Winston, Zack Wilson........

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This is kinda pointless to talk about, Jerry isnt drafting a QB in 1st round, and possibly no qb at all.
He has lance, and dak and rush, so that satisfies him.

Jerry never does what we think he should do , so no point in talking about it, except for the fun of it.
Our GM is insane and stupid lol. A different qb wont help until jerry fires himself.

Swagger

Reaction score
I say it all the time snd I’ll say it again now:

We have a section of fans here that, if they were Chiefs fans in 2017, would’ve been irate at them for trading up for Mahomes instead of getting Alex Smith more help.

They badly want to downplay the importance of the QB position because they want to take heat off their favorite player.

I get it. You’re a fan, but don’t try and act like you know what you’re talking about if that’s the route you wanna take.
:hammer:

Blitzen

Reaction score
Not saying this in defense of Dak, but why does where he was drafted matter 9 years after the fact? He's outplayed his draft position so why did what scouts thought of him in 2016 matter now?

Tony Romo and Kurt Warner weren't even drafted; and Romo was one of the best QB's of his generation and Warner is a HOF and Super Bowl winner himself.

And it's easy to cherry pick the QB's drafted in the 1st round that got to Super Bowls and say "this is how you get there". But there are also your fair share of 1st round QB's like Josh Rosen, Mitch Trubisky, Josh Fields, Brady Quinn, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, Blake Bortles, Blaine Gabbert, JaMarcus Russell, Sam Bradford, Christian Ponder, Jameis Winston, Zack Wilson........
He makes a fair assessment. Why are fans so desperate to extend Dak considering the absurdly long odds that he actually starts getting to the CCG or SB? Teams have never been able to accomplish it with a QB of his tenure or past playoff history (in league history).

His point about 1st round QBs is just an observation about the likelihood of ever doing it with a non-first rounder. Dak is not in the stratosphere of a Tom Brady or Kurt Warner.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
So the Super Bowl from two days ago was between the last player drafted and a first round QB and goes to OT and you think this is a good time for this point?
People love to show that they are controlled by their emotions and not logic all the time I see smh. What does your post change about that being an outlier regarding Purdy?

MikeT22

Reaction score
And it's easy to cherry pick the QB's drafted in the 1st round that got to Super Bowls and say "this is how you get there". But there are also your fair share of 1st round QB's like Josh Rosen, Mitch Trubisky, Josh Fields, Brady Quinn, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, Blake Bortles, Blaine Gabbert, JaMarcus Russell, Sam Bradford, Christian Ponder, Jameis Winston, Zack Wilson.....
I would still take my chances than rely on late round QBs.

Ken

Reaction score
Of course you do.

Anything to take responsibly from players and make excuses instead.

That's how you roll.
I mean....if you really think this is a 1 position game...your theory makes a ton of sense. Something tells me their defense had more to do with it this year.