The Penn State Aftermath Thread *Penalty Post #403*

burmafrd

Reaction score
RS12;4633721 said:
The NCAA dropped those "unprecedented" punishments on Penn State on Monday, and they're mighty. There's the usual—scholarship cuts, probation, bowl bans, vacated wins, a fine—but amplified to heretofore unseen levels.

Penn State's president, Rodney Erickson, cut a deal with the NCAA because he preferred even a $60 million fine to the death penalty. It's understandable. Penn State wants uninterrupted years of revenue from TV and Beaver Stadium attendance, even if the product is mediocre for a decade or more.

Erickson's decision vexed some trustees. They were annoyed that he didn't consult them before agreeing to the punishments, so they met Wednesday night to smooth things over, and concluded that Erickson had had no choice but to accept the punishment.

The trustees appear to have been wrong. Two sports antitrust lawyers—Jeffrey Kessler, the Winston & Strawn partner who represented the NFL and NBA players' unions in their recent lockout negotiations, and Matt Mitten, director of the National Sports Law Institute—told me Penn State would have had a good case to beat most of the sanctions if it had sued the NCAA. Rodney Erickson could have told Mark Emmert, "Thanks but no thanks, we'll keep playing," and he could have won.

http://********.com/5928267/?utm_ca...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

of course shysters are going to say that. That is why they are shysters

Kangaroo

Reaction score
03EBZ06;4631882 said:
Penn State loses one sponsor, others could follow

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- State Farm is pulling its ads from Penn State football broadcasts, while General Motors is reconsidering its sponsorship deal and Wall Street is threatening to downgrade the school's credit rating, suggesting the price of the sexual abuse scandal could go well beyond the $60 million fine and other penalties imposed by the NCAA.

Bloomington, Ill.-based State Farm said it had been reviewing its connection to Penn State since the arrest of retired assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky last November. The insurance company said it will pull ads from broadcasts of Nittany Lions home games but continue to advertise during Penn State's away contests.

''We will not directly support Penn State football this year,'' State Farm spokesman Dave Phillips said Tuesday. ''We just feel it was the best decision.''

For rest ---> http://sports.yahoo.com/news/penn-s...QDBHBzdGNhdANuY2FhZgRwdANzZWN0aW9ucw--;_ylv=3

With the government also looking into whacking you with a hammer and the PR disaster that would follow from media etc. That would be the dumbest idea yet suing the NCAA over the punishment.

Taking the hit they did probably keeps the Government of their back if they balk a bigger hammer may come in and really knee cap the University.

Last thing they want is the Government getting involved, prolong litigation with the NCAA in court, then dragging out the media frenzy of Penn State.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
trickblue;4632754 said:
:hammer:

I agree the sanctions are WAY overboard, but these two need to get things in perspective... I'm embarrassed for them...

in life you need to learn NEVER to be embarrassed for what someone else did that has no effect on you

Ultimately though, it is not much different than saying bring an extra guy at the QB is a blitz, isn't that an affront to those Londoners who faced the Blitz in 1940?

They should have said the NCAA was the Japanese and PSU was Pearl Harbor ;)

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4633723 said:
She may not have known at first. Especially if he was discreet enough not to bring them to her house.

He may not have done it as often at first, and only when he knew he was safe from getting caught.

But familiarity breeds contempt, and after people finding out in 1998 and doing nothing to stop him, .. and then getting caught in the act in the shower and once again nobody said anything to him or did anything to stop him, he probably figured all bets were off.

He figured, .. I have a charity for underprivileged kids providing me the boys, and Penn St. turning their heads while I use their facilities, .. I am untouchable.

(forgive the pun)

even if the wife knew though, what would you expect her to do? rat out her husband?

RS12

Reaction score
burmafrd;4633740 said:

Kessler is one of the top lawyers in the country, despised by NFL owners.

joseephuss

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4633857 said:
even if the wife knew though, what would you expect her to do? rat out her husband?

Yes, that is what she should have done if she had knowledge of it.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
joseephuss;4633886 said:
Yes, that is what she should have done if she had knowledge of it.

you wouldn't rat out your wife if you knew she was doing anything bad any more than I would

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Of course she should, what he was doing was horrific, ruining many young lives.

joseephuss

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4633906 said:
you wouldn't rat out your wife if you knew she was doing anything bad any more than I would

Depends on what she was doing. If she were hurting children, I would turn her in. And the only people who use the phrase "rat out" are other criminals.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score

I know i said i wouldn't comment anymore about this subject matter, but are you seriously saying that if you knew your wife was raping children that you wouldn't do anything about it? You would just let the children be RAPED!?

burmafrd

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4633949 said:
I know i said i wouldn't comment anymore about this subject matter, but are you seriously saying that if you knew your wife was raping children that you wouldn't do anything about it? You would just let the children be RAPED!?

if you have read his posts over the years that should not surprise you at all.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
joseephuss;4633913 said:
Depends on what she was doing. If she were hurting children, I would turn her in. And the only people who use the phrase "rat out" are other criminals.

As usual he's completely wrong. This isn't surprising.

If it was my wife she'd be in custody of the cops so fast it would make her head spin.

The vows said to love, honor, and cherish.

They didn't say anything about hiding a pedophile.

RoyTheHammer;4633949 said:

Of course he would. This is surprising to you given who the poster is? Whatever the right course of action is in a given situation you can bet your last dollar that he's going to do the exact opposite.

burmafrd;4634483 said:
if you have read his posts over the years that should not surprise you at all.

Exactly.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score

If she was raping children, I would try to convince her to turn herself in, .. if not, I would do it for her.

But you never cease to amaze me.

I think you are intentionally just trying to jerk this board around, ... nobody can possibly think the way you seem to.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
burmafrd;4633740 said:

The school - and probably a lot of officials and employees beyond the 4 or 5 getting most of the attention - is likely a lot more complicit in the Sandusky coverup than the Freeh report indicates. A pedophile raped kids for 15 years, mabye a lot longer, and only a few people really knew about it? I'd say a lot of people knew about it, and PSU's decision is based on them deciding that the less they fight, the sooner they get the story out of the public eye.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Double Trouble;4634708 said:
The school - and probably a lot of officials and employees beyond the 4 or 5 getting most of the attention - is likely a lot more complicit in the Sandusky coverup than the Freeh report indicates. A pedophile raped kids for 15 years, mabye a lot longer, and only a few people really knew about it? I'd say a lot of people knew about it, and PSU's decision is based on them deciding that the less they fight, the sooner they get the story out of the public eye.

Not the same comparison - but I am sure everyone knew at PSU. It's like at a job when you hear about 2 employees sleeping together. You may or may not have witnessed anything, but it gets around and you hear about it.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
PSU originally faced four-year death penalty

Penn State president Rodney Erickson told ESPN Wednesday that he gave up the right to appeal NCAA sanctions to avoid a four-year death penalty for the school's football program.

NCAA president Mark Emmert confirmed to ESPN that a core group of NCAA school presidents had agreed early last week to punish Penn State in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal by shutting down the football program for four years.

"Well, that's a pretty tough number to swallow," Erickson said he recalled thinking when he learned of the NCAA plan. "It's unprecedented. It's a blow to the gut. There's no doubt about that. I couldn't agree to that at all."

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=402657&obref=obinsite

burmafrd

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4634580 said:
If she was raping children, I would try to convince her to turn herself in, .. if not, I would do it for her.

But you never cease to amaze me.

I think you are intentionally just trying to jerk this board around, ... nobody can possibly think the way you seem to.

I once thought that; but he is exactly as he shows himself to be. No one is smart enough to keep up a shtick that long without stumbling.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;4634748 said:
PSU originally faced four-year death penalty

Penn State president Rodney Erickson told ESPN Wednesday that he gave up the right to appeal NCAA sanctions to avoid a four-year death penalty for the school's football program.

NCAA president Mark Emmert confirmed to ESPN that a core group of NCAA school presidents had agreed early last week to punish Penn State in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal by shutting down the football program for four years.

"Well, that's a pretty tough number to swallow," Erickson said he recalled thinking when he learned of the NCAA plan. "It's unprecedented. It's a blow to the gut. There's no doubt about that. I couldn't agree to that at all."

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=402657&obref=obinsite

Interesting, because i remember reading a day or two ago that an NCAA official claimed there were never talks at any point about shutting down the program.

I don't know, but to me, lying doesn't seem very ethical..

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
burmafrd;4634786 said:
I once thought that; but he is exactly as he shows himself to be. No one is smart enough to keep up a shtick that long without stumbling.

Unbelievable at times.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
burmafrd;4634786 said:
Whenever I read his posts, a thought of "what a d-bag" always comes to mind, every time.