The Penn State Aftermath Thread *Penalty Post #403*

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4630148 said:
Why would you hope that? This is the kind of stuff i don't understand.. the people that you blame arn't there anymore, yet you still want others who were innocent to suffer?

What sense does it make to victimize more innocent people in this situation?

Penn State has done little in the way of proving that they can handle having a successful football team because as we have seen, if they do have a successful team...they'll do anything they can to keep it successful.

Sometimes punishment has to go beyond the realm of punishing those who have done wrong. Sometimes it has to go to the point of sending a message, not only to those loosely around the situation, but to any others who may even think of doing what something similar to what PSU did.

If there was ever a situation like that where punishment has to go beyond the realm of punishing those involved, this is it. Penn State has shown far more outrage at anything disparaging towards Paterno, his firing, his tearing down of his statue, than any outrage over the fact that children were raped.

PSU simply cannot handle a successful football program at this time. Maybe they can long down the road.

YR

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WV Cowboy;4630867 said:
I have hoped that the Penn St. football program would be in the basement each season for the past 40 years.

I have always respected what the football team did on the field, .. but the cockiness, and the arrogance of Paterno, .. and the "we are better than you" attitude of the fans has always turned me against PS football.

I have always disliked PS, and the events that have happened over the past year have not improved my opinion of Penn St., .. trust me.

Nothing to see here, .. move along.

You are a good WVU fan and hate all football in PA...you would never be one of those WVU fans that are confused and turn around and cheer for the Steelers because you know the steelers are in Pittsburgh and as a WVU fan you have to hate Spitt. :D

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4631038 said:
You are a good WVU fan and hate all football in PA...you would never be one of those WVU fans that are confused and turn around and cheer for the Steelers because you know the steelers are in Pittsburgh and as a WVU fan you have to hate Spitt. :D

My grandpop told me we root against all teams Pittsburgh, ... he was not wrong.

I have also had two things happen in my personal life that involve the city of Pittsburgh that cause me to dislike the whole place even more as well.

But my youngest son lives and works there now so I do like that part. :D

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think stripping the wins is appropriate. I wouldn't give Paterno's legacy or record any breaks at all.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
jobberone;4631423 said:
I think stripping the wins is appropriate. I wouldn't give Paterno's legacy or record any breaks at all.

that's how I feel. One less accolade for him.

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
SDogo;4629611 said:
It's about to get ugly. By the time Emmert is done with college football people will think Goodell is a Saint. This guy is prepared to take his badge and make a power run very few have seen.

Nice pun there.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Penn State loses one sponsor, others could follow

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- State Farm is pulling its ads from Penn State football broadcasts, while General Motors is reconsidering its sponsorship deal and Wall Street is threatening to downgrade the school's credit rating, suggesting the price of the sexual abuse scandal could go well beyond the $60 million fine and other penalties imposed by the NCAA.

Bloomington, Ill.-based State Farm said it had been reviewing its connection to Penn State since the arrest of retired assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky last November. The insurance company said it will pull ads from broadcasts of Nittany Lions home games but continue to advertise during Penn State's away contests.

''We will not directly support Penn State football this year,'' State Farm spokesman Dave Phillips said Tuesday. ''We just feel it was the best decision.''

For rest ---> http://sports.yahoo.com/news/penn-s...QDBHBzdGNhdANuY2FhZgRwdANzZWN0aW9ucw--;_ylv=3

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
03EBZ06;4631882 said:
Penn State loses one sponsor, others could follow

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP)
''We will not directly support Penn State football this year,'' State Farm spokesman Dave Phillips said Tuesday. ''We just feel it was the best decision.''

Yuck, .. what's that on my shoe, .. oh no, it looks like I stepped in some Penn St.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
jobberone;4631423 said:

I agree. I think the record should go to a true leader of men, like Eddie Robinson.

YR

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/07/25/penn-state-alum-ncaa-sanctions-are-our-911/

Penn State Alum: NCAA Sanctions Are ‘Our 9/11′

Take a deep breath before reading this.

Ready? OK.

Meet Tom and Sally Price. Tom is a Penn State graduate, and both are die-hard Penn State football fans. In an interview with News Watch 16 WNEP in Pennsylvania, Tom compared the sanctioned levied against his school to one of America’s greatest tragedies – the terrorist attacks of September 11.

“I just can’t put my arms around it. To me, it was our 9/11 today. I just saw planes crashing into towers,” said Tom Price

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
joseephuss;4632630 said:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/07/25/penn-state-alum-ncaa-sanctions-are-our-911/

Ready? OK.

Meet Tom and Sally Price. Tom is a Penn State graduate, and both are die-hard Penn State football fans. In an interview with News Watch 16 WNEP in Pennsylvania, Tom compared the sanctioned levied against his school to one of America’s greatest tragedies – the terrorist attacks of September 11.

“I just can’t put my arms around it. To me, it was our 9/11 today. I just saw planes crashing into towers,” said Tom Price

:facepalm:

Sigh..

jimmy40

Reaction score
joseephuss;4632630 said:

Ready? OK.

Hopefully someone punched this guy in the face.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4632654 said:

:hammer:

I agree the sanctions are WAY overboard, but these two need to get things in perspective... I'm embarrassed for them...

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
PSU got off easy if you consider the alternative was a 4 year death penalty. That would have changed the entire landscape of the the university.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Lawyers: Shower abuse victim to sue Penn State

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) -- For months, the identity of the boy who was sexually assaulted in the locker-room showers by Jerry Sandusky was one of the biggest mysteries of the Penn State scandal. Now, for the first time, a man has come forward publicly to claim he was that boy, and is threatening to sue the university.

The man's lawyers said Thursday they have done an extensive investigation and gathered ''overwhelming evidence'' on details of the abuse by Sandusky, the former assistant football coach convicted of using his position at Penn State and as head of a youth charity to molest boys over a period of 15 years.

Jurors convicted Sandusky last month of offenses related to so-called Victim 2 largely on the testimony of Mike McQueary, who was a team graduate assistant at the time and described seeing the attack.

''Our client has to live the rest of his life not only dealing with the effects of Sandusky's childhood sexual abuse, but also with the knowledge that many powerful adults, including those at the highest levels of Penn State, put their own interests and the interests of a child predator above their legal obligations to protect him,'' the lawyers said in a news release.

They did not name their client, and The Associated Press generally does not identify victims of sex crimes without their consent.

The university said it was taking the case seriously but would not comment on pending litigation.

University President Rodney Erickson and the board of trustees, a school spokesman said, ''have publicly emphasized that their goal is to find solutions that rest on the principle of justice for the victims.''

The statement from the man's attorneys said Victim 2 suffered ''extensive sexual abuse over many years both before and after the 2001 incident Michael McQueary witnessed.''

McQueary testified in December at a hearing that he had seen Sandusky and a boy, both naked, in a team shower after hearing skin-on-skin slapping sounds.

For rest ---> http://sports.yahoo.com/news/trustees-sanctions-better-football-ban-063918993--ncaaf.html

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Does anyone believe Sandusky only did this type of thing for 15 years?

RS12

Reaction score
The NCAA dropped those "unprecedented" punishments on Penn State on Monday, and they're mighty. There's the usual—scholarship cuts, probation, bowl bans, vacated wins, a fine—but amplified to heretofore unseen levels.

Penn State's president, Rodney Erickson, cut a deal with the NCAA because he preferred even a $60 million fine to the death penalty. It's understandable. Penn State wants uninterrupted years of revenue from TV and Beaver Stadium attendance, even if the product is mediocre for a decade or more.

Erickson's decision vexed some trustees. They were annoyed that he didn't consult them before agreeing to the punishments, so they met Wednesday night to smooth things over, and concluded that Erickson had had no choice but to accept the punishment.

The trustees appear to have been wrong. Two sports antitrust lawyers—Jeffrey Kessler, the Winston & Strawn partner who represented the NFL and NBA players' unions in their recent lockout negotiations, and Matt Mitten, director of the National Sports Law Institute—told me Penn State would have had a good case to beat most of the sanctions if it had sued the NCAA. Rodney Erickson could have told Mark Emmert, "Thanks but no thanks, we'll keep playing," and he could have won.

http://********.com/5928267/?utm_ca...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4633702 said:
Good question.. somebody should ask his wife that.

She may not have known at first. Especially if he was discreet enough not to bring them to her house.

He may not have done it as often at first, and only when he knew he was safe from getting caught.

But familiarity breeds contempt, and after people finding out in 1998 and doing nothing to stop him, .. and then getting caught in the act in the shower and once again nobody said anything to him or did anything to stop him, he probably figured all bets were off.

He figured, .. I have a charity for underprivileged kids providing me the boys, and Penn St. turning their heads while I use their facilities, .. I am untouchable.

(forgive the pun)