The Penn State Aftermath Thread *Penalty Post #403*

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4633857 said:
even if the wife knew though, what would you expect her to do? rat out her husband?

Not a woman but I'd have left him. I can't say what I'd have done after that because that situation is so bizarre and extreme. I'd like to think I would have reported it. I won't judge her.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
even if the wife knew though, what would you expect her to do? rat out her husband?

You say that but I had a next door neighbor in Highschool turn his wife in for dealing coke. He was out on maneuvers for the Military for several months came home found the big bag of coke strapped to the bottom of the toilet lid called the police and turned her in.

So some people will turn in their spouse in. Sometimes morals matter to people and hold their loved ones accountable.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Joe Realist;4641476 said:
Redd is transferring to USC.

I'm surprised more have not, .. loyal to the program that at one time deserved that loyalty.

But that was a long time ago.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

eventually yea. I can see at first refusing to believe it, but after a while I don't see how she could live with him, let alone her self.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4634882 said:
Interesting, because i remember reading a day or two ago that an NCAA official claimed there were never talks at any point about shutting down the program.

I don't know, but to me, lying doesn't seem very ethical..

Maybe that NCAA official didn't know about the NCAA's initial plans. Either way, the NCAA isn't the bad guy here and trying to make them the bad guy is grasping at straws.

Hell, PSU should be praising the NCAA for not giving them the death penalty as they had every right to do so, given this is the worst scandal in the history of sports.

YR

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4641793 said:
Maybe that NCAA official didn't know about the NCAA's initial plans. Either way, the NCAA isn't the bad guy here and trying to make them the bad guy is grasping at straws.

Hell, PSU should be praising the NCAA for not giving them the death penalty as they had every right to do so, given this is the worst scandal in the history of sports.
YR

The NCAA being some sort of "ethical enforcer" is the definition of hypocrisy, imo. You act like because i think they are in the wrong that means im saying PSU wasn't to blame for anything. That's ridiculous, my friend..its not a zero sum situation.

burmafrd

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4641799 said:
The NCAA being some sort of "ethical enforcer" is the definition of hypocrisy, imo. You act like because i think they are in the wrong that means im saying PSU wasn't to blame for anything. That's ridiculous, my friend..its not a zero sum situation.

give it up Roy. Your constant defense of pedophile enablers is very sad.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4641799 said:

It doesn't have to do with the NCAA being an 'ethical enforcer.' And you can't derive their standard of ethics from one official who may not have been privy to what the head of the NCAA was discussing.

The NCAA operates in a similar way the NFL operates.

If a NFL player starts making racial slurs at a Press Conference, the NFL has every right to suspend and fine that player as they deem fit. The NFL has never been quite above racism, but it would have nothing to do with being a 'racism enforcer.' It would have to do with making the NFL look bad.

The same with Penn State. The university has made the NCAA look bad and the NCAA penalized them and allegedly threatened a death penalty (according to Erickson, we don't know what the NCAA's story is).

And are you really comparing the ethics of the NCAA versus a child rape scandal? I may question their hypocrisy of their *standards* where they rake in money and penalize schools for paying players. However, they can always argue that the players get a free education. That's a bit different from a clear cut case of child rape and the lack of morality of those involved who covered it up.

It's stuff like this which makes me think that PSU should have received the death penalty afterall because it's obvious the school and their fans cannot handle a successful football program at this current time. So, football should be taken away from them until they start to show that they actually 'get it' for once.

And I'm not holding my breath on that one happening.

YR

joseephuss

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4641714 said:
I'm surprised more have not, .. loyal to the program that at one time deserved that loyalty.

But that was a long time ago.

Maybe there just aren't that many quality players on the current PSU squad that other universities want right now. Plus other schools may not have room on their teams to add another scholarship player. They could be at their scholarship limit already. USC, due to their 75 scholarship limit has to figure out a way to officially get Redd under scholarship. Someone is either going to lose their scholarship to being academically ineligible or some former walk-on is going to become a walk-on again after they get their scholarship pulled.

These things start off slow. With only a week to go before practices start, we may see more Nittany Lions making these tough choices. I think the count is 4 right now. We shall see if that increases greatly.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
burmafrd;4641925 said:
give it up Roy. Your constant defense of pedophile enablers is very sad.

Yup.. im defending pedophiles and people who enable them.

Thank you for reminding me why i stopped trying to have rational discussions on the topic.

:laugh2:

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4641959 said:
And are you really comparing the ethics of the NCAA versus a child rape scandal? I may question their hypocrisy of their *standards* where they rake in money and penalize schools for paying players. However, they can always argue that the players get a free education. That's a bit different from a clear cut case of child rape and the lack of morality of those involved who covered it up.

It's stuff like this which makes me think that PSU should have received the death penalty afterall because it's obvious the school and their fans cannot handle a successful football program at this current time. So, football should be taken away from them until they start to show that they actually 'get it' for once.

And I'm not holding my breath on that one happening.

YR

I think you enjoy stereotyping an entire group of people based on the actions of a few.. and as to the bold question you can answer that on your own.

I question the reasoning behind what the NCAA did, the reasoning they gave, which you seem to agree with.

That PSU puts athletics before acedemics and that has to be corrected.

I think its a bunch of hypocritical bull and i think the NCAA puts athletics first all the time. I just read a story the other day about how Les Miles offered a scholarship to some middle school/junior high kid. I bet he went up to the kid and said, "Son, i want to offer you this scholarship, even though you're only in 8th grade, because i want you to come to LSU and have the best education possible and allow you the priveledge of playing the game you love in our facilities in the meantime. Yes, yes, i know our graduation rates our horrible for athletes, but this has nothing to do with wanting to win football games really really badlly.. we just want you to get a great education so you can be successful in your future endeavors, son."

Does this mean that because i think the NCAA is full of poop that i think what PSU officials did was right?

lol don't be silly.

I want justice for those involved and healing for those who were affected.. not punishment for other innocents who were not involved in anyway by a group of people who falsely act like they are just looking out for the greater good.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
joseephuss;4641988 said:
Maybe there just aren't that many quality players on the current PSU squad that other universities want right now. Plus other schools may not have room on their teams to add another scholarship player. They could be at their scholarship limit already. USC, due to their 75 scholarship limit has to figure out a way to officially get Redd under scholarship. Someone is either going to lose their scholarship to being academically ineligible or some former walk-on is going to become a walk-on again after they get their scholarship pulled.

These things start off slow. With only a week to go before practices start, we may see more Nittany Lions making these tough choices. I think the count is 4 right now. We shall see if that increases greatly.

I think a total of 5 have left as of today.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4642012 said:
I think you enjoy stereotyping an entire group of people based on the actions of a few.. and as to the bold question you can answer that on your own.

No, I am not stereotyping a group of people. And no, it's not just the actions of a few.

I think I have shown time and time again that I have researched and read up on this entire ordeal from the get-go. I feel I have disspelled many misconceptions brought forth, like the misleading idea that Schultz was the 'police' (a beancounter who has no legal arresting authority in the state of Pennsylvania), that Paterno did use e-mail, and Paterno had a documented history of demanding that he punish his players and the school not be allowed to or he would stop his fundraising until Dr. Triponey was dismissed from her job as Chief Disciplinarian at PSU.

These are just a few of the mistruths and spin jobs that I've seen, read or heard from countless Penn State students and faithful all in the name of protecting Paterno and their football program. And I've seen countless PSU faithful and students outraged at the Board of Trustees for not protecting the statue, for firing Paterno, and whatever they can think of. And many of these people are close friends of mine.

If the 'majority' of a group is considered more than 50%, I feel very confident that the majority of PSU faithful and students I have talked to, who come from all walks of life, are still far more interested in the protection of the football program than the victims themselves.

Where I would be 'stereotyping based upon the actions of a few' is *if* I were saying that PSU fans blame the victims for this mess...which I have read some PSU fans write on their Twitter and Facebook accounts. But, I can understand that those people are just a few delusional losers who have an awful life and only derive joy from things like PSU football.

Furthermore, I stated earlier on in this thread that I was leaning against a 'death penalty' because of the players who have scholarships who may lose them. But after seeing how the majority of Penn State faithful, alumni and students have reacted to the NCAA discipline, I have now changed that tune.

What gets me is the self centered nature of the majority of PSU faithful/alumni/students. I have repeatedly heard 'WE have been punished enough', which again shows that they have made this about THEM and THEIR enjoyment they derive from watching their successful football program play on Saturdays.

Again, this is *countless* different people I've heard, read or watched. It's become sadly predictable to hear PSU people call in to radio shows to explain their side of the story and in the end, we get the same story of self centered look at things, trying to make Paterno look like a scapegoat, and now the outrage towards the NCAA's discipline, which still outweighs their outrage towards Paterno by tenfold.

That's why I think in hindsight, the NCAA should have given PSU the death penalty for 5 years and force PSU to honor the scholarships of those players who want to stay at the school. Of course, I was in favor of the punishment given, but for the umpteenth time I've given the PSU people the chance to show that they get the grand scheme of things and they have once again failed to show that. So in my mind, it shows that the snow globe community of PSU just cannot handle a big-time, successful football program.

YR

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4642151 said:
If the 'majority' of a group is considered more than 50%, I feel very confident that the majority of PSU faithful and students I have talked to, who come from all walks of life, are still far more interested in the protection of the football program than the victims themselves.

I think that's just as ridiculous of a statement as saying the majority of people who are attacking the university are far more interested in justice for those involved and healing for the victims than they are with simply condemning one of the many men involved in this case.

I still have many friends from my time there, and i've seen and heard a few of them being unreasonable in their comments and stance on the subject, but the majority of them? Its not even close.

Obviously, the media shows alot of the ones who are marching around in public like buffoons defending the statue and the "legacy", holding up cardboard cutouts and all of that nonsense, so that's what you're going to see.

..and its a sad two way street, but you're correct that the victims are being overlooked by the majority of the people both attacking PSU and the students, and the students who are defending themselves and Paterno and the program. They're kids.. they see the entire nation attacking their culture, and they are getting defensive about it. Meanwhile, while everybody is throwing their stones, shaking their pitchforks, and making a hoopla about all the wrong things, justice and healing are largely forgotten about. Its definitely sad.

joseephuss

Reaction score
What gets me is the self centered nature of the majority of PSU faithful/alumni/students. I have repeatedly heard 'WE have been punished enough', which again shows that they have made this about THEM and THEIR enjoyment they derive from watching their successful football program play on Saturdays.

"That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status."-Joe Paterno 11-09-2011

They were just following the sentiment of their leader.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4642083 said:
How is he defending pedophiles?

misquoting again. you must be a lawyer.

Pedophile Enablers is EXACTLY what Paterno and company were.

You trying to say otherwise?

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
No, I am not stereotyping a group of people. And no, it's not just the actions of a few.

I think I have shown time and time again that I have researched and read up on this entire ordeal from the get-go. I feel I have disspelled many misconceptions brought forth, like the misleading idea that Schultz was the 'police' (a beancounter who has no legal arresting authority in the state of Pennsylvania), that Paterno did use e-mail, and Paterno had a documented history of demanding that he punish his players and the school not be allowed to or he would stop his fundraising until Dr. Triponey was dismissed from her job as Chief Disciplinarian at PSU.

These are just a few of the mistruths and spin jobs that I've seen, read or heard from countless Penn State students and faithful all in the name of protecting Paterno and their football program. And I've seen countless PSU faithful and students outraged at the Board of Trustees for not protecting the statue, for firing Paterno, and whatever they can think of. And many of these people are close friends of mine.

Where I would be 'stereotyping based upon the actions of a few' is *if* I were saying that PSU fans blame the victims for this mess...which I have read some PSU fans write on their Twitter and Facebook accounts. But, I can understand that those people are just a few delusional losers who have an awful life and only derive joy from things like PSU football.

Furthermore, I stated earlier on in this thread that I was leaning against a 'death penalty' because of the players who have scholarships who may lose them. But after seeing how the majority of Penn State faithful, alumni and students have reacted to the NCAA discipline, I have now changed that tune.

Again, this is *countless* different people I've heard, read or watched. It's become sadly predictable to hear PSU people call in to radio shows to explain their side of the story and in the end, we get the same story of self centered look at things, trying to make Paterno look like a scapegoat, and now the outrage towards the NCAA's discipline, which still outweighs their outrage towards Paterno by tenfold.

That's why I think in hindsight, the NCAA should have given PSU the death penalty for 5 years and force PSU to honor the scholarships of those players who want to stay at the school. Of course, I was in favor of the punishment given, but for the umpteenth time I've given the PSU people the chance to show that they get the grand scheme of things and they have once again failed to show that. So in my mind, it shows that the snow globe community of PSU just cannot handle a big-time, successful football program.

YR
There is so much wrong with this post it is laughable.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Displaced Cowboy;4642561 said:
There is so much wrong with this post it is laughable.

Yes, so much that you just make blanket statements instead of actually refuting what is 'so wrong that is laughable.' Congratulations, you've earned zero credibility with people on the board with regards to the subject so far.

Is Schultz a police officer? No. He's a beancounter that oversaw the budgets of many departments involved with the University and one of them being the State College PD. He has no arresting power in the state of Pennsyvlania.

Did Paterno have a history of trying to coverup misdeeds involved with the football team? Yes, in the case of Dr. Vicky Triponey who had e-mail proof of this, when she wanted to do her job of disciplining players who got into trouble off the field, Paterno made it clear that he should be the only person able to punish the players and he would refuse to do any fundraising until Dr. Triponey was dismissed from her job as Chief Disciplinarian.

Did Paterno use e-mail? Yes, he did http://********.com/5923920/oops-joe-paterno-knew-how-to-use-email-after-all

Here's some brilliant twitter posts from some pro-Paterno and pro-PSU people after the NCAA handed down their discipline: Deadpin's Twitter Feeds from PSU faithful

Not to mention the numerous people I know, personally, that went to Penn State who still have this self centered 'we've been punished enough' type of reasoning. Combined with numerous phone calls into radio stations in shows from all sorts of formats from political talk to sports radio to comedy shows.

Yup, nothing to see here. Just a mirage. One big laughable mirage.

:bang2:

YR