CFZ The Perspective Cooper Rush Provided

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
LOL. You kids just type anything.
Offer zero actual facts and just YOLO it.

Cooper Rush did go 4-1.
Thats ALL this entire OP has offered.

What it doesn't mention:
In those 4 wins Dallas gave up an average of 13 points per game.
They had healthy cornerbacks. The defense was dominant.

To put in perspective in Dak's 14 starts this season, Dallas gave up less than 13 points twice.
An 18-point victory and a 37-point victory.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
The rams game was a perfect example of his limitations as a passer. The defense was a different animal in the first half of the season, so your telling me that them falling apart was Daks fault? The defense got bailed out by the offense a few time in the latter half of the season.
Each game has a different story, and Rush didn’t do anything in the Rams game to LOSE it. That’s the difference: Rush generally wasn’t the reason they won, but he DEFINITELY wasn’t the reason they lost; you can’t say the same about Dakota.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
In Dak's 14 starts (including playoffs) he averaged 28.79 points per game. Huge outliers here. Totals of 54, 40, 40, 6,3 and 12. Dak was 8-4 in the reg season and playoffs.

In Rush's 5 starts he averaged 21.4 points per game. Very few outliers here, His highest total was 25 and his lowest was 17. Rush was 4-1 in the reg season.

Dak's performances are very bi-polar, huge performaces off-set by terrible performances. Rush was a lot more consistant, but had a ceiling in place. With an NFL playoff structure that is one and done (unlike baseball, hockey nad basketball) Dak's inconsistant scoring all but assures that he will have one bad game in an NFL playoff format, which we have seen.

Each one has their good and bad points, we will statistically never win a superbowl with either tho.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak 4 out of 6 years with playoff appearances and not one losing season when healthy anyone let that register before they post 17 threads on Daks the issue. B2B 12 win seasons with playoff berths, a road win, finally beat brady, and somehow won on grass.

that's some of the best years weve had since the 90s..

61-36 as starter

61-36-0
Cmp%
Yds
Y/A
TD
Int

Dak sux, its clear form all those facts i posted. we should move on because its easy to replace that type of career at qb.

blueblood70

Reaction score
In Dak's 14 starts (including playoffs) he averaged 28.79 points per game. Huge outliers here. Totals of 54, 40, 40, 6,3 and 12. Dak was 8-4 in the reg season and playoffs.

In Rush's 5 starts he averaged 21.4 points per game. Very few outliers here, His highest total was 25 and his lowest was 17. Rush was 4-1 in the reg season.

Dak's performances are very bi-polar, huge performaces off-set by terrible performances. Rush was a lot more consistant, but had a ceiling in place. With an NFL playoff structure that is one and done (unlike baseball, hockey nad basketball) Dak's inconsistant scoring all but assures that he will have one bad game in an NFL playoff format, which we have seen.

Each one has their good and bad points, we will statistically never win a superbowl with either tho.
His team was inconsistent not dak, that's those varying numbers Rush did not have to deal with while the team wa son that run..sorry you are way way off base..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Put down your torch and pitchfork. I’m not here to tell you Cooper Rush is Tom Brady 2.0.

Daks injury provided a very interesting situation this year. It showed the difference between our franchise qb with a really good team and a undrafted guy with a really good team.

Now we have the full picture. Cooper actually played solidly to win 4 out of 5 games, considering 3 (almost 4) teams were playoff teams, and one almost won the afc ship and the other will probably win it all. Against the litmus of what Cooper faced each week, he played consistently. Not as a great qb, but as a decent one on a good team that didn’t make stupid mistakes.

Which brings us to Dak. In a word, inconsistent…in record, in play, and in fan opinions. He won some games extravagantly, and had some gut wrenchingly pointless losses. I think comparing him to Cooper, he solidly confirmed what a lot of people have said on this board. He’s too inconsistent to get the team all the way. Everyone loves the Dak that played Minnesota or TB in the playoffs. Everyone hates the Dak that played the 49ers or TB in the opener.

Through a mixture of flaws that randomly appear play to play, game to game, I think it’s time to admit the gap between Rush and Dak is way smaller than the gap between Dak and top tier qbs. It’s just the inconsistency. Turns out he’s exactly what we drafted…a day 3 project pick. Hopefully the project ends in a year.
he didn't play solidly, we were 27th rank offense. offenses Job is to put up points. Offense led by rush didn't. that type of output will get you a few wins in a short stint, if everything goes right, but not sustainable. if not for the Defense scoring and dominating the Rams offense, we would have lost the Rams game, as the offense produced 13 points. 100 yards passing. he progressively got worse. Run offense was significantly worse with rush as teams planned to stop the run game and force us to pass. defense being healthy at that time, sustained, but once injuries happened the defense couldn't keep up any more. once turnovers went away, the offense struggled.

Dak is inconsistent, but much much much better than Rush. I know the pundits keep pointing to 4-1 and the wins, but those very same pundits dismissed wins as not being a QB stat and that when compared to some other QBs in previous argument and why Dak sucked. so you can't have it both ways. Anyone thinking Rush is capable of leading this team anywhere, is just looking to argue.

with that said, perhaps I hope you get your wish. lets have rush start for a whole season and see where we land.

and btw, I think we need to draft a QB this year and start to groom as we are in the Dak contract for another two years. and in two years we need to know, do we have a QB we can build around or do we go drafting again.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The perspective Cooper Rush provided is that hopefully the Dak project end in a year.

Got it.
The smart decision by the front office of the Cowboys would be to end the Dak experiment after one more year if not explore ways to end it sooner. That would be the smart decision. But this is an org that does not do the smart thing. So I fully expect them to extend Dak to free up cap room and then try and "win it all with Dak" - think definition of insanity.

cowboyec

Reaction score
You don't pay 40M for that type of performance. And that's the problem with the GM they love overpaying players, Dak is a 20M QB based on NFL tiers. He's not elite nor great, he's average.
he's not elite.
but i think he's good.
they need to reign in the gunslingn' abit.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Believe they tried that his first couple games back, but then he got sniffing himself and had to go back to hero-ball.
then maybe you take away or limit the audibles...making him stay within the gameplan and not on the edges or outside it.
reign in the gunslingn'.

GINeric

Reaction score
Put down your torch and pitchfork. I’m not here to tell you Cooper Rush is Tom Brady 2.0.

Daks injury provided a very interesting situation this year. It showed the difference between our franchise qb with a really good team and a undrafted guy with a really good team.

Now we have the full picture. Cooper actually played solidly to win 4 out of 5 games, considering 3 (almost 4) teams were playoff teams, and one almost won the afc ship and the other will probably win it all. Against the litmus of what Cooper faced each week, he played consistently. Not as a great qb, but as a decent one on a good team that didn’t make stupid mistakes.

Which brings us to Dak. In a word, inconsistent…in record, in play, and in fan opinions. He won some games extravagantly, and had some gut wrenchingly pointless losses. I think comparing him to Cooper, he solidly confirmed what a lot of people have said on this board. He’s too inconsistent to get the team all the way. Everyone loves the Dak that played Minnesota or TB in the playoffs. Everyone hates the Dak that played the 49ers or TB in the opener.

Through a mixture of flaws that randomly appear play to play, game to game, I think it’s time to admit the gap between Rush and Dak is way smaller than the gap between Dak and top tier qbs. It’s just the inconsistency. Turns out he’s exactly what we drafted…a day 3 project pick. Hopefully the project ends in a year.

Cooper Rush did an admirable job filling in for Dak, no question. But you can't make it to the playoffs throwing for 100 yards a game.

Rush has been in the NFL one year less than Dak. Dak earned a max contract, Rush was being released every off season and brought back on practice squads annually. If you really believe their gap is close then I have beach front property to sell you in Montana.

Every NFL coach, scout, and GM has film/information system on every player in the league. If Rush was on Dak's level consistently, why haven't he been plucked from the roster, named the starter of another team, and gotten his max dollars yet???

I assume you're the only one in the world who realizes how special Rush's 100 yard output can be at this level......

CWR

Reaction score

Nothing against Cooper, but would he have that record if the defense wasn't playing lights out at that point in the season?

He was great the first two games, but his limitations became progressively louder as weeks went on.

Dak took over and we went from a mediocre offense to a top offense. Obviously the picks are a problem but in part it comes with aggression and narrow windows. When you go back and look at where our receivers ranked in separation it's terrible. CD wasn't top 25 I don't believe, and Noah/Gallup were 120ish. So we either needed better scheming or talent. This is why I knew the ints weren't going to stop.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Each game has a different story, and Rush didn’t do anything in the Rams game to LOSE it. That’s the difference: Rush generally wasn’t the reason they won, but he DEFINITELY wasn’t the reason they lost; you can’t say the same about Dakota.
If you can't see how limited he is from a physical stand point then I don't know what to tell you.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
he didn't play solidly, we were 27th rank offense. offenses Job is to put up points. Offense led by rush didn't. that type of output will get you a few wins in a short stint, if everything goes right, but not sustainable. if not for the Defense scoring and dominating the Rams offense, we would have lost the Rams game, as the offense produced 13 points. 100 yards passing. he progressively got worse. Run offense was significantly worse with rush as teams planned to stop the run game and force us to pass. defense being healthy at that time, sustained, but once injuries happened the defense couldn't keep up any more. once turnovers went away, the offense struggled.

Dak is inconsistent, but much much much better than Rush. I know the pundits keep pointing to 4-1 and the wins, but those very same pundits dismissed wins as not being a QB stat and that when compared to some other QBs in previous argument and why Dak sucked. so you can't have it both ways. Anyone thinking Rush is capable of leading this team anywhere, is just looking to argue.

with that said, perhaps I hope you get your wish. lets have rush start for a whole season and see where we land.

and btw, I think we need to draft a QB this year and start to groom as we are in the Dak contract for another two years. and in two years we need to know, do we have a QB we can build around or do we go drafting again.

Would have also lost the Bengals game if Joe Burrow could have put up any sort of offensive rally in the 2nd half. while a Cooper Rush led offense struggled to score for the majority of the 2nd half. Luckily the defense was able to put tons of pressure on Burrow and prevented him from putting Cooper Rush in the position of having to try and play from behind, during a game in which he was struggling to score in the 2nd half.

Some want to use "4-1" as their main talking point for why Cooper Rush deserved to remain the starter or why the gap between Cooper Rush and Dak isn't that big, yet ignores the components which went into those games the Cowboys won with Rush. And also pushes forward the unrealistic scenario in either thinking that the defense could sustain holding offenses to under 20 and one TD per game. Or they were going to rely on the hope of Cooper Rush suddenly becoming a QB who could sling it all over the field with his arm and put up offensive stats comparable to the top ten QBs in the NFL.

Cooper Rush wasn't going to get this team to more wins, with how the defense collapsed in the 2nd half of the season. And if he his QB play was so responsible for how the defense played earlier in the season, then we would be seeing teams signing up Cooper Rush to be their starter, based on their belief that he could "will" defenses into playing lights out.

I understand some wanting to move on from Dak, but don't understand how some act like Cooper Rush is the answer or that the Cowboys should take a chance on starting him for an entire season, even on a short term basis.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Nothing against Cooper, but would he have that record if the defense wasn't playing lights out at that point in the season?

He was great the first two games, but his limitations became progressively louder as weeks went on.

Dak took over and we went from a mediocre offense to a top offense. Obviously the picks are a problem but in part it comes with aggression and narrow windows. When you go back and look at where our receivers ranked in separation it's terrible. CD wasn't top 25 I don't believe, and Noah/Gallup were 120ish. So we either needed better scheming or talent. This is why I knew the ints weren't going to stop.
good analysis.
we def need more weapons...a wr or 2 that can seperate...or a te that causes problems for a defense.
i really like notre dame te michael mayer.
he's a match-up problem for most defenses.
i'd love to add one of those types to this offense.

Reactions: CWR

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Dak 4 out of 6 years with playoff appearances and not one losing season when healthy anyone let that register before they post 17 threads on Daks the issue. B2B 12 win seasons with playoff berths, a road win, finally beat brady, and somehow won on grass.

that's some of the best years weve had since the 90s..

61-36 as starter

61-36-0
Cmp%
Yds
Y/A
TD
Int

Dak sux, its clear form all those facts i posted. we should move on because its easy to replace that type of career at qb.
He's hot and cold, which is bad in a sudden death playoff formula like the NFL uses. All it takes is for one of his bad games to knock us out of the playoffs, like we just saw. I know, I went to the game 2 weeks ago, was not happy with his performance.