CFZ The pressure is on the wrong people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Here’s an example of ”pressure on the wrong people”….

How about all the new assistant coaches on the staff like Mike Zimmer for an easy example being on a one year deal? They inherited a tough environment they had nothing to do with and have been given one year to turn it around with a roster that is less talented (on paper) than last year.
He’s holding them accountability with a prove it contract. :laugh:

ArtClink

Reaction score
The pressure is on the wrong people in the Cowboys organization. Healthy organizations hold the people at the top accountable for results. If they don’t get the results desired they are replaced. Not in Big D.

Here the owner holds mid and low-level people accountable for mistakes made at the top. It’s completely dysfunctional. Here’s the undeniable truth of all healthy organizations: If the people at the top are not held accountable, you can have no accountability anywhere else in that organization. This the foundational flaw that makes all of this 28 year playoff drought so maddening.

I‘m all for putting pressure on coaches and players to perform at the highest level with focus, discipline and execution. Those men are professionals. Good leaders hold everyone accountable for results. But if they themselves are not accountable while the mid and lower level people are, it creates an organizational cancer that left unaddressed just festers.

As a lifelong Cowboys fan I want this team to win every game every year including this year. But I also have to be honest when I look at this organization and think, “Will this year be any different?” I just can’t say “yes” until something changes. I will happily be wrong if a miracle happens.
Excellent post and all 100% true. That is why the NFL needs a nepotism rule to prohibit the owner from holding the GM position. Ironically as Jerry always holds the hc accountable for his own shortcomings, Jerry actually makes many of the decisions FOR his head coach, which is why the head coach has such limited impact on winning and our culture.

It's been broken for decades and it will remain broken until the Jones boys sells the team. We could lose every game this season and Jerry would make zero, fundamental changes to how he runs the team. Even the Packers blowout in the post season did nothing to impact Jerry's football management model. In fact, Jerry dug in his heels and kept a lame duck head coach and offended his starting QB who was 2nd in MVP voting while doing almost nothing in the offseason. This lack of action on Jerry's part in the offseason is synonymous to him giving the entire fan base the finger.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Les Snead, the GM for the rams has taken two teams to a SB with two different QBs, neither of whose will be in the HOF. He traded to get Stafford. Again, would that happen here?
In other words, Les Snead found two quarterbacks, both of whom have HoF cases. It's also extremely easy to do what he did in LA, if you don't care about being good long term.

Why wouldn't it happen? If the argument is "Dallas hasn't traded for a QB"- that's true for basically every team in the league.

tm1119

Reaction score
See also: every team in professional sports.
GM’s that can’t reach a single conference championship game in 28 years don’t keep their jobs. And yeah McClay does some stuff, but at the end of the day it’s Jerry/Stephen that call the shots. And they’ve been a miserable failure for going on 3 decades.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

30 Years Ago, Jerry Jones Made His Biggest Deal

By Jeff Sullivan | DallasCowboys.com
February 25, 2019

<excerpt>

Bright reached out and dropped the asking price to $140 million – $65 million for the team and $75 million for Texas Stadium. The deal came together pretty quickly after that and on Feb. 23, 1989, Dixon and Jones finalized the numbers with Bright in Dallas. Jerry was contributing $90 million in cash, almost every dime he had, and borrowing the rest, putting up everything he owned as collateral. He was all-in...Read more

Its his toy...he bought it...with his own money...
No. It was partially his own money. Jerry Jones' money roughly amounted to 64% of the franchise's purchase price. The remaining 36% was borrowed from banks, investors, etc. Subsequently, Jones paid his creditors but his action was conducted after-the-fact, not before-or-at the time he bought the franchise from H.R. Bright.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Can someone tell me which Organization or Organizations have provided flawless execution?

There are so many factors here that can be used as excuses....it would be like debating Dak stuff.

What does the Organization have to do in todays NFL?

1) Secure or chase a QB
2) Only sign sound contracts
3) Sound scouting department that has an eye for talent across the board
4) Secure or chase coaching talent
5) Have a strong analytics team with people that generate ideas

Im sure there are many other important things...

San Fran checks most of the dots....and guess what....they have no hardware. Its a super star QB and a heady coach back in the saddle....like Brady and Belicheck were.

I mean...the contract stuff doesnt matter if you have strong head coaching and good QB play.

I think Dallas needs to attempt to acquire a star head coach/OC. I think trying to find Mahomes is bad for fans and also hurts the Owners pockets wading through the down years looking for a QB. It could take years to find a stud. Id rather status quo than churn through QB's.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
GM’s that can’t reach a single conference championship game in 28 years don’t keep their jobs. And yeah McClay does some stuff, but at the end of the day it’s Jerry/Stephen that call the shots. And they’ve been a miserable failure for going on 3 decades.
See also: every owner in sports.

Do people honestly think that, say, Miami signed Tua, San Fran traded for Lance, CLEVELAND signed Watson, and Carolina drafted Young without ownership approval? lmao

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The pressure is on the wrong people in the Cowboys organization. Healthy organizations hold the people at the top accountable for results. If they don’t get the results desired they are replaced. Not in Big D.

Here the owner holds mid and low-level people accountable for mistakes made at the top. It’s completely dysfunctional. Here’s the undeniable truth of all healthy organizations: If the people at the top are not held accountable, you can have no accountability anywhere else in that organization. This the foundational flaw that makes all of this 28 year playoff drought so maddening.

I‘m all for putting pressure on coaches and players to perform at the highest level with focus, discipline and execution. Those men are professionals. Good leaders hold everyone accountable for results. But if they themselves are not accountable while the mid and lower level people are, it creates an organizational cancer that left unaddressed just festers.

As a lifelong Cowboys fan I want this team to win every game every year including this year. But I also have to be honest when I look at this organization and think, “Will this year be any different?” I just can’t say “yes” until something changes. I will happily be wrong if a miracle happens.
Accountability at the top has never been part of the business model since Jerry bought the team and that's not changing any time soon.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Absolutely correct.

There is a huge culture problem in Dallas, and you described it well Bob.

They have shown a horrid combination of arrogance, stubbornness, and blind optimism that continually undermines any chance this franchise might have of emerging from the death spiral.

There are none more blind than those that refuse to see.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob usually has some excellent posts. Lately he’s been very critical and for good reason. But yeah, it’s like a broken record.
lol.

Can you name one other CowboysZone member, who makes posts like a broken record? Someone you know better than anyone else in the entire world?

Hint: I am a broken record when it comes to Jerry Jones also, but this question's actual answer is not me. :)

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
lol.

Can you name one other CowboysZone member, who makes posts like a broken record? Someone you know better than anyone else in the entire world?

Hint: I am a broken record when it comes to Jerry Jones also, but this question's actual answer is not me. :)
Difference is, and it’s a big one, is that I’m a broken record on positivity. You, and many others, not so much. Actually the opposite.

rags747

Reaction score

30 Years Ago, Jerry Jones Made His Biggest Deal

By Jeff Sullivan | DallasCowboys.com
February 25, 2019

<excerpt>

Bright reached out and dropped the asking price to $140 million – $65 million for the team and $75 million for Texas Stadium. The deal came together pretty quickly after that and on Feb. 23, 1989, Dixon and Jones finalized the numbers with Bright in Dallas. Jerry was contributing $90 million in cash, almost every dime he had, and borrowing the rest, putting up everything he owned as collateral. He was all-in...Read more

No. It was partially his own money. Jerry Jones' money roughly amounted to 64% of the franchise's purchase price. The remaining 36% was borrowed from banks, investors, etc. Subsequently, Jones paid his creditors but his action was conducted after-the-fact, not before-or-at the time he bought the franchise from H.R. Bright.
I was taught a long long time ago that you become wealthy by maximizing OPM, Other Peoples Money. Was true then and is still true today!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is why the NFL needs a nepotism rule to prohibit the owner from holding the GM position.
Not sure if such a rule could be passed but it would not be enforceable how you have worded it. Nepotism is granting preferential privileges to others having a personal association with the individual extending the nepotism.

Jerry Jones, the owner, gave his family special privileges by giving them front office position. That is nepotism. Selfishness is why Jones both named himself general manager and has retained its power and distinction for decades.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

I totally agree and the time has come for the brain trust to start sacrificing for the betterment of the team. The three Jones who have been sailing around in the NFL in a rudderless yacht for almost 3 decades need to draw straws, short one is out, next season they can do the same thing over again and whittle it down to one, at that point the ones who were booted to the curb can bring a lawsuit against the sole owner to sell the organization to a billionaire with some common sense and very deep pockets............who will hire intelligent people to run this organization.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Difference is, and it’s a big one, is that I’m a broken record on positivity. You, and many others, not so much. Actually the opposite.
Thank you for admitting you are a broken record ("HATER!"), albeit with a personal 'technicality' disclaimer.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was taught a long long time ago that you become wealthy by maximizing OPM, Other Peoples Money. Was true then and is still true today!
What you have been taught has been ongoing for centuries. lol. Thanks for emphasizing that but it does not refute what I stated. In fact, your information underscores what I said.

rags747

Reaction score
At the end of the day no one on this board has any right or authority to tell Jerry how he wants to run his business, it is his 100% right to do as he sees fit. He can have all the fun in the world as it is ALL his to have. All of you haters also have the right to run your family business as you see fit. It’s really quite simple, stop watching, stop supporting, buy Jerry out Or just stay miserable.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Technicality? It’s as big as night and day and you’re on the wrong end.
Thus, your logic is this:

A broken record is a broken record if something said is not a mutually agreed upon subject.

BUT

A broken record is not a broken record if something stated is held to a preset moral standard.

Sometimes, simple phrases mean simple things.

Status
Not open for further replies.