CFZ The pressure is on the wrong people

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasticman

Reaction score
The pressure is on the wrong people in the Cowboys organization. Healthy organizations hold the people at the top accountable for results. If they don’t get the results desired they are replaced. Not in Big D.

Here the owner holds mid and low-level people accountable for mistakes made at the top. It’s completely dysfunctional. Here’s the undeniable truth of all healthy organizations: If the people at the top are not held accountable, you can have no accountability anywhere else in that organization. This the foundational flaw that makes all of this 28 year playoff drought so maddening.

I‘m all for putting pressure on coaches and players to perform at the highest level with focus, discipline and execution. Those men are professionals. Good leaders hold everyone accountable for results. But if they themselves are not accountable while the mid and lower level people are, it creates an organizational cancer that left unaddressed just festers.

As a lifelong Cowboys fan I want this team to win every game every year including this year. But I also have to be honest when I look at this organization and think, “Will this year be any different?” I just can’t say “yes” until something changes. I will happily be wrong if a miracle happens.
Excellent point!

I would also like to add that Jerry Jones unfairly holds his coaches accountable for circumstances that he, himself, produced.

Since Jimmy Johnson, every coach that he hired and eventually fired were hamstrung in their team building philosophy, authority, personnel decisions, and communication.

The interference by Jerry Jones when it came to managing the team was to the extent that success was almost entirely unachievable. The better coaches saw the inevitable and walked away. For the rest, it was simply a matter of time.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s about as fundamentally inaccurate as it could be.

No one has the right to, as an example…barge into his office and torture him for days, but anyone and everyone on this board has the right to attempt to tell Jerry how to run his business and/or be critical of it. Amendment uno.

The Dallas Cowboys are bigger than Jerry Jones, and personally I don’t WANT to stop supporting something I love just because they are run poorly, so I come here and vent…….the proper place to do so. I didn’t climb on someone’s roof with a bullhorn.
Exactly. Well said.

Owning a local sports team is completely different than running a family lumber company or restaurant. Owning a sports team where the owner accepts local taxpayer money to build a stadium requires a responsibility beyond just doing whatever the owner wants. There is a public trust involved here. If Jerry built that stadium with 100% his own money, it would be a little different.

The best sports owners see their ownership as a partnership with the community. The owner has the right to financially benefit from owning the team while also being committed to making every effort to give the community the BEST chance to win a championship. If all a sports team owner wants to do is make money, he is literally cheating the community who makes large investments of their own money. If all he wants to do is make money, buy something in Vegas.

rambo2

Reaction score
Exactly. Well said.

Owning a local sports team is completely different than running a family lumber company or restaurant. Owning a sports team where the owner accepts local taxpayer money to build a stadium requires a responsibility beyond just doing whatever the owner wants. There is a public trust involved here. If Jerry built that stadium with 100% his own money, it would be a little different.

The best sports owners see their ownership as a partnership with the community. The owner has the right to financially benefit from owning the team while also being committed to making every effort to give the community the BEST chance to win a championship. If all a sports team owner wants to do is make money, he is literally cheating the community who makes large investments of their own money. If all he wants to do is make money, buy something in Vegas.
The best owners are in the Hall of Fame.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where I disagree with you Rock is IMO it does matter that fans express their frustration with the results we keep getting. IMO it is not “whining” to speak the truth about why we are in this 28 year playoff drought. And one thing is 100% certain. Nothing will change if Cowboys fans continue act like “Jerry’s way” is ok.

We‘ve had 6 different HCs, 8 different OCs and 8 different DCs since our last divisional playoff win. And 29 different drafts. And one GM. To me not speaking out is like pretending everything is ok as it is. No one has to agree with that of course. But I’m just being honest.

To me continuing to believe that somehow after three decades of the same old playoff results Jerry is going to “get it right” is insanity.
Jerry Jones is completely free to do whatever he wants with his franchise. He has and he will.

The insanity is totally about personal choice in my opinion. This has always been Jones' choice. It is not an inconceivable occurrence within business management in adopting a different managerial course of action.

I have long joked about Jones being a hillbilly. That hillbilly graduated with a master's in business management. He has made a fortune in oil and in professional sports. Jerry Jones is smart enough to know management must be addressed when an organizational goal is not achieved within a set time frame.

Despite this, Jones disregards his own goals for personal fulfillment. It is his right. He is the business owner but he has been as illogical in his approach to football management as any other business owner ignoring the right course of action.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Jerry Jones is completely free to do whatever he wants with his franchise. He has and he will.

The insanity is totally about personal choice in my opinion. This has always been Jones' choice. It is not an inconceivable occurrence within business management in adopting a different managerial course of action.

I have long joked about Jones being a hillbilly. That hillbilly graduated with a master's in business management. He has made a fortune in oil and in professional sports. Jerry Jones is smart enough to know management must be addressed when an organizational goal is not achieved within a set time frame.

Despite this, Jones disregards his own goals for personal fulfillment. It is his right. He is the business owner but he has been as illogical in his approach to football management as any other business owner ignoring the right course of action.
We need to look into the legality of this because as Bob has said, Jerry took tax payer money to help build his empire. If he did not then your point would be valid.

Daniel Snyder wasn't completely free to do what he wanted, so any given NFL owner's rule is not absolute.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need to look into the legality of this because as Bob has said, Jerry took tax payer money to help build his empire. If he did not then your point would be valid.
Jerry Jones is far from being the only NFL owner. Correction. Jerry Jones is far from being the only professional sports team owner on Earth to accept taxpayer money to supplement the operation of his business. It will be extremely difficulty to force Jones into doing anything based on taxes legally allocated to his National Football League franchise.

Daniel Snyder wasn't completely free to do what he wanted, so any given NFL owner's rule is not absolute.
Snyder created a toxic work environment. Jon Gruden's emails were the last nail in his coffin.

According to all public accounts, Jones has not overstepped to the point where he has created a hostile work environment of the magnitude that Snyder did. You are correct. No NFL's owner's rule is absolute. However, no NFL owner's rule will end for circumstances that the league does not find egregious enough.

rags747

Reaction score
Two points:
1. I believe I’m just reacting to the “same old spiel” coming from the owner/GM. If we were getting different results I would feel differently.
2. It’s an opinion forum man. I support your right to love what Jerry gives us if you choose.

I post a lot opinions that have nothing to do with our owner. There are some positives with our team for sure. I have been supportive of our drafts and the good work Will McClay does. But I cannot pretend that the biggest problem the Cowboys face is NOT in the owner’s box.
But what are u accomplishing by continually ragging on the Jones family? Has it changed anything? Do u believe it will change anything? Do u believe that anyone that has the power to change anything is actually listening to you? Agreed, it’s an opinion forum, I just hate to see someone so depressed over something that they cannot control.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
The pressure is on the wrong people in the Cowboys organization. Healthy organizations hold the people at the top accountable for results. If they don’t get the results desired they are replaced. Not in Big D.

Here the owner holds mid and low-level people accountable for mistakes made at the top. It’s completely dysfunctional. Here’s the undeniable truth of all healthy organizations: If the people at the top are not held accountable, you can have no accountability anywhere else in that organization. This the foundational flaw that makes all of this 28 year playoff drought so maddening.

I‘m all for putting pressure on coaches and players to perform at the highest level with focus, discipline and execution. Those men are professionals. Good leaders hold everyone accountable for results. But if they themselves are not accountable while the mid and lower level people are, it creates an organizational cancer that left unaddressed just festers.

As a lifelong Cowboys fan I want this team to win every game every year including this year. But I also have to be honest when I look at this organization and think, “Will this year be any different?” I just can’t say “yes” until something changes. I will happily be wrong if a miracle happens.
I hear you, but we both know the Jones family wont fire themselves. However, they definitely need to take a break from day to day operations and let the players see the coaches as those in charge and do more behind the scenes just to see what happens this season.

One other thing I miss is Jerry with the roll dice mentality in bringing in more talent to improve the team. The younger Jerry was a terrible talent evaluator and handcuffed this franchise in between Switzer and Parcells but he would gamble with acquiring a proven player at any cost if it filled a hole. Now it feels like we have gone the other extreme with finally have a good set of talent evaluators that have built a talented team in house, but we need Jerry the gambler to address the rest.

The reality is they didn't do anything in the offseason to think they could improve upon a 12-5 season with an early playoff exit. It all comes down to Zimmer and the growth of young players to step up which is hard to imagine that's enough to get a fan fired up.

shabazz

Reaction score
You are whining that I am being negative about Jerry Jones.
Dallas,.....you are arguing with a sedimentary rock.

The weird thing about some of these virtue signaler and Pollyannas is that they dictate if there is something that is "allowed" to be criticized and when they criticize this " entity" it doesn't qualify as " hating"

I'm not on any other social media site other than the CZ, but I imagine this must be "a thing" on their too........I wonder how Freud would have e classified this type of psychopathy?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas,.....you are arguing with a sedimentary rock.

The weird thing about some of these virtue signaler and Pollyannas is that they dictate if there is something that is "allowed" to be criticized and when they criticize this " entity" it doesn't qualify as " hating"

I'm not on any other social media site other than the CZ, but I imagine this must be "a thing" on their too........I wonder how Freud would have e classified this type of psychopathy?
I wish you did not include Pollyanna with your description.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But no amount of complaining about Jerry is going to change anything. All it does is ramp up the negativity. How about talking about the young guys fighting for a roster spot?
There’s hundreds and thousands of threads , along with different forums page after page we can all respond to. If it’s a subject matter which doesn’t interest you then look for one that does.

Otherwise Homers continually calling out those more critical fans becomes troll like behavior just like the Haters calling out those in support of the subject . Homers can be Haters too.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There’s hundreds and thousands of threads , along with different forums page after page we can all respond to. If it’s a subject matter which doesn’t interest you then look for one that does.

Otherwise Homers continually calling out those more critical fans becomes troll like behavior just like the Haters calling out those in support of the subject . Homers can be Haters too.
The ones riding around on their high horse telling people what to do is also troll like behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.