The QB salary argument

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is that why you’ve seemingly decided to just troll?

I noticed a change in you. You’ve snapped like the joker in Batman. Jerry finally broke you I suppose.
In threads that are obviously partisan I’m going to make fun of them.

Nobody cares if you’re serious or a troll on this forum. You’re either with them or against them. It’s a joke. And this forum like much of social media is flawed. This is much more fun. I can be serious somewhere else. Too many fans can’t handle the criticism. They are just fans.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Again, I'm all for winning, the problem is when someone says don't pay him this and that's what he gets from another team...Tell me how that helps us in winning? either pay him and fix the D or blow it up and draft someone these are your options....no QB is winning with a defense giving up 40 points a game....no rookie no veteran no elite tier no top tier none....
Hey, I didn’t build this team. And I didn’t lobby for a HC to be held accountable for a fraudulently built team hyped to win a championship.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Hey, I didn’t build this team. And I didn’t lobby for a HC to be held accountable for a fraudulently built team hyped to win a championship.

I get it but the difference between 40 mill a year and 35 mill a year isn't a player who is going to fix this current defense is all I'm saying.....and for 20 to 30 mill a year your getting a QB whos play is a lot worse and I just don't see how we will win with that. The coach was the problem and we waited 4 years to long to take advantage of the talent we drafted and now must pay for.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Paying DE’s who do nothing 20 mil leads to mediocrity.

paying Lb’s who suck. Leads to mediocrity.

paying backup DL 10 million. Leads to mediocrity.

but yes. Refusing to sign Dak. So we can overpay more scrubs. Will lead to success right?

that’s the point of my post. Y’all think Dak is the reason the team is mediocre? When we have overpaid players on defense literally doing nothing to impact game’s, and then the opposing team scores 30+ points?
Yeah lets pay Dak 50-60-70 million a year because the FO is stupid with money and wouldn't know how to spend it on defense anyhow. Heck, give him the whole cap because they would just blow the rest on magic beans for a beanstalk....lol

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yeah lets pay Dak 50-60-70 million a year because the FO is stupid with money and wouldn't know how to spend it on defense anyhow. Heck, give him the whole cap because they would just blow the rest on magic beans for a beanstalk....lol

Wow what a dumb post. Nowhere do I imply that the cowboys should just pay Dak whatever.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I get it but the difference between 40 mill a year and 35 mill a year isn't a player who is going to fix this current defense is all I'm saying.....and for 20 to 30 mill a year your getting a QB whos play is a lot worse and I just don't see how we will win with that. The coach was the problem and we waited 4 years to long to take advantage of the talent we drafted and now must pay for.
Based on what we’ve seen thus far we can’t be certain the coaching was the problem. You may think it is but 3 games of results doesn’t confirm that. The talent or lack of in key areas looks to be much more of the problem.

And if we were to hit on another drafted QB we certainly could get by with a much lower salary at the QB position.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Based on what we’ve seen thus far we can’t be certain the coaching was the problem. You may think it is but 3 games of results doesn’t confirm that. The talent or lack of in key areas looks to be much more of the problem.

And if we were to hit on another drafted QB we certainly could get by with a much lower salary at the QB position.

But you already did hit on one and wasted it with red...... unless your saying the rest of the team is bad in which case yes blow it up and try and find another QB......Just remeber we got lucky TWICE you ready to roll on a third?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wow what a dumb post. Nowhere do I imply that the cowboys should just pay Dak whatever.
Really, you railed on the front office for stupid deals, by the way, I totally agree with you on those deals.

Now you want to expand on those stupid deals and give Dak a contract, because they might as well since they spent stupid money already. That was the whole gist of your post. To quote.

"But I’m supposed to hope for the cowboys to sign a worse QB or risk drafting one when they’ve shown little ability to do so, so they can turn around and give the money to defenders, despite the cowboys front office burning cash consistently on BUMS on defense?"

Now you state "Nowhere do I imply that the cowboys should just pay Dak whatever."

Okay then, let's say the general consensus is correct, he was offered 4 years at ~35 million a year. 110-120 million guaranteed. He turned that down, although there was talk of Dak trying and end run around his agent to do a deal at the last minute, of course we don't know for sure. So what do you feel comfortable paying Dak? Would you offer more than 4 years at ~35 million a year. 110-120 million guaranteed? Less than that?

How can you logically argue this without giving an amount you would pay....Just pay the man.

I'll tell you what I would pay him, subject to change on how this season goes. As of now, I give him the transition tag at 38 million or whatever that comes out to be and see what the market bears.

I was taught a long time ago, never go to your boss or customer with an issue without having two possible solutions. They pay you to think.

So I went first, let play the price is right. What do you think is fair and what you think Dak would accept.

By the way, I think you're a great poster and enjoy most of your post. I find it humorous that this issue has the ability to make a bunch of great posters, who probably agree on 75% of the topic, to call each other idiots, dumb post, you obviously don't know football, have you ever played the game...bla bla bla.

One other thing, do you agree the Jone's suck as owners/GM and that Garrett was even a worse coach and our secondary gave up way too many wide open bombs yesterday? If you say yes, but we still don't agree on the Dak issue, that's okay, then we can say we mostly agree with everything in this post...75% or so :)

HungryLion

Reaction score
Really, you railed on the front office for stupid deals, by the way, I totally agree with you on those deals.

Now you want to expand on those stupid deals and give Dak a contract, because they might as well since they spent stupid money already. That was the whole gist of your post. To quote.

"But I’m supposed to hope for the cowboys to sign a worse QB or risk drafting one when they’ve shown little ability to do so, so they can turn around and give the money to defenders, despite the cowboys front office burning cash consistently on BUMS on defense?"

Now you state "Nowhere do I imply that the cowboys should just pay Dak whatever."

Okay then, let's say the general consensus is correct, he was offered 4 years at ~35 million a year. 110-120 million guaranteed. He turned that down, although there was talk of Dak trying and end run around his agent to do a deal at the last minute, of course we don't know for sure. So what do you feel comfortable paying Dak? Would you offer more than 4 years at ~35 million a year. 110-120 million guaranteed? Less than that?

How can you logically argue this without giving an amount you would pay....Just pay the man.

I'll tell you what I would pay him, subject to change on how this season goes. As of now, I give him the transition tag at 38 million or whatever that comes out to be and see what the market bears.

I was taught a long time ago, never go to your boss or customer with an issue without having two possible solutions. They pay you to think.

So I went first, let play the price is right. What do you think is fair and what you think Dak would accept.

By the way, I think you're a great poster and enjoy most of your post. I find it humorous that this issue has the ability to make a bunch of great posters, who probably agree on 75% of the topic, to call each other idiots, dumb post, you obviously don't know football, have you ever played the game...bla bla bla.

One other thing, do you agree the Jone's suck as owners/GM and that Garrett was even a worse coach and our secondary gave up way too many wide open bombs yesterday? If you say yes, but we still don't agree on the Dak issue, that's okay, then we can say we mostly agree with everything in this post...75% or so :)

Again. Nowhere in my post do I say just pay Dak any set amount of whatever he wants. Which is why your first post wasn’t a fair breakdown of what I said.

yes I think he should be re signed. That doesn’t mean “just pay him whatever”. I’ve never said that.

the post isn’t about his exact contract amount. It’s about the concept of looking for cheaper QB options. So you have more cap space to put defensive players.

Whether Dak makes 35 or 40 mil a year. The concept is the same. And the concept is the discussion.

basel90

Reaction score
Here’s one of my issues if the team decides to not pay Dak.

I have heard all the arguments that Dak wants too much money and it will hamstring the salary cap.

Well, Dak is one of the best players on the team (he is you know it’s true) and he plays the most important position in football.

So we are supposed to move on from Dak and risk the very real possibility of having worse QB play. So we can “sign other players and get better play on the rest of the team”

Really?

sign other players like who? DeMarcus Lawrence?

like Jaylon Smith?

like Tyrone Crawford?

These scrub bums have massive deals and DO NOTHING.

so y’all want to risk having worse QB play so our wonderful GM’s Jerry and Stephen can turn around and sign some more scrub, bum defenders who make a ton of cash and DO NOTHING?

How about DeMarcus Lawrence and Jaylon Smith and Tyrone Crawford actually play up to their contract? If those 3 guys actually played to their level of pay. The cowboys defense would be legit good rather than giving up 5 touchdown passes yesterday.

But I’m supposed to hope for the cowboys to sign a worse QB or risk drafting one when they’ve shown little ability to do so, so they can turn around and give the money to defenders, despite the cowboys front office burning cash consistently on BUMS on defense?

that’s supposed to make sense?

Y’all worried about the cap are worried about the wrong cap management issue. Don’t throw 20 mil on DE’s who don’t get sacks.

don’t throw millions at a linebacker who doesn’t know where he is going and has made zero plays.

don’t throw nearly 10 mil at a BACKUP level DL player.

it’s a joke.
No one wants or thingsk Dlaw and jaylon or, Cooper , or even zeke are worth their contracts.
But that is too late now. But if we follow your theory and pay dak 35- 40 mil , the team will be further down a steep hill.
The math is not there for a path to CCG or SB with the contract dak wants.

note: Did you see a 7 million Cam play ?
or how a 22 million brady is playing ? There was and there is value out there.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Again. Nowhere in my post do I say just pay Dak any set amount of whatever he wants. Which is why your first post wasn’t a fair breakdown of what I said.

yes I think he should be re signed. That doesn’t mean “just pay him whatever”. I’ve never said that.
Which is why I replied to you.

So your stance is sign him, but have you have no idea in the world what to pay him, or refuse say for whatever reason.

Then you reply and say "That doesn’t mean “just pay him whatever”. I’ve never said that." But really it does, if you don't state an amount you would pay.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But you already did hit on one and wasted it with red...... unless your saying the rest of the team is bad in which case yes blow it up and try and find another QB......Just remeber we got lucky TWICE you ready to roll on a third?
We can’t be sure if it was wasted on Red if results aren’t any better with Mikey. It might be he isn’t enough with the supporting cast. Lots of good QB’s don’t have anymore team success for a variety of reasons including they might only be good not great.

Landry took 4 QB pretty good QB’s to a championship game on some talented teams but only 1 QB won it all.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Which is why I replied to you.

So your stance is sign him, but have you have no idea in the world what to pay him, or refuse say for whatever reason.

Then you reply and say "That doesn’t mean “just pay him whatever”. I’ve never said that." But really it does, if you don't state an amount you would pay.

This thread isn’t about the exact level of pay or meant to argue what the exact level of pay is.

it you read the whole thread you’ll see that I called the FO stupid for turning down the reported deal of 35 mil AAV for 5 years that Dak was willing to sign this past off season. If they waived the right to tag him after.

Meanwhile in your post you attempted snark by saying 50,60,70 mil. Which was just you being over the top for no reason and wasn’t an actual honest attempt to discuss a real number. Which is why I called it stupid. It sounded like you were mocking on purpose. I’m sorry if I missed the sarcasm.

But again. This thread isn’t about contract details. It’s about the concept of wanting to get a different QB for less money so the front office can pay other guys and whether that’s trust worthy or not. Whether that’s 35 or 40 mil a year isn’t that relevant to the discussion of the concept itself. Especially considering what 5 million a year gets you one low-mid level free agent?

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score

Thanks for the kind words btw. I appreciate it. I perceived your first post as an attempt to mock. But good to know it was just sarcasm.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This thread isn’t about the exact level of pay or meant to argue what the exact level of pay is.

it you read the whole thread you would see that I called the FO stupid for turning down the reported deal of 35 mil AAV for 5 years that Dak was willing to sign this past off season. If they waived the right to tag him after.

Meanwhile in your post you attempted snark by saying 50,60,70 mil. Which was just you being over the top for no reason and wasn’t an actual honest attempt to discuss a real number. Which is why I called it stupid. It sounded like you were mocking on purpose.

But again. This thread isn’t about contract details. It’s about the concept of wanting to get a different QB for less money so the front office can pay other guys and whether that’s trust worthy or not. Whether that’s 35 or 40 mil a year isn’t that relevant to the discussion of the concept itself. Especially considering what 5 million a year gets you one low-mid level free agent?
How can the cost of signing him not relevant? I'm sorry you were offended by the 50,60,70 mil comment. A post literally named "the-qb-salary-argument" that doesn't state a fair offer must have thrown me off.

Jkw634

Reaction score
You pay the qb that much money they better be able to carry the tram without a bunch of offensive studs around them. If he gets paid top qb money then you start losing pieces. Gallop can’t be resigned. Can’t address the o line. How is Houston doing paying Watson and letting Hopkins walk. Look at Arizona now with Hopkins.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thanks for the kind words btw. I appreciate it. I perceived your first post as an attempt to mock. But good to know it was just sarcasm.
We're good, or I am and don't mean to give or take any offense to this. Keep up the good work and go Cowboys!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s difficult to take a thread about our QB as objective with that screen name and avatar.

Instead they should recuse themself from any open discussion about Dak.

Swagger

Reaction score
No one wants or thingsk Dlaw and jaylon or, Cooper , or even zeke are worth their contracts.
But that is too late now. But if we follow your theory and pay dak 35- 40 mil , the team will be further down a steep hill.
The math is not there for a path to CCG or SB with the contract dak wants.

note: Did you see a 7 million Cam play ?
or how a 22 million brady is playing ? There was and there is value out there.
That's the point isn't it. What's done has been done. It's irrelevant as in reality nobody will trade for them now.
The best way to build going forwards is either through a VET QB on a cheap deal like Tannehill or Newton and to draft a QB on a rookie contract. In the process save around $30 million a year which can be used on 2-3 elite defenders who are genuine game changers.
If we sign Prescott to a long term deal for $35-40 million a year then we are doomed. All we will hear is people bang on about his amazing numbers in a loaded offense and blame the defense (what do people really expect given where the resources will have been committed) resulting in similar outcomes to the opening three games this season. We would not have enough pieces to reach a Superbowl so my view is why on earth go down that route that so many other teams do because...that's what other teams do! Look at the STATE of the Vikings and Cousins...that's waiting to be the Cowboys and Prescott unless we move on.