The QB salary argument

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Ok great. I’ll occasionally expect to see the defense actually force a turnover, or get a stop at the end of games.

I won’t hold my breath though.

Thats fine now if you had also called out the QB for the same thing you are calling out the rest of the team for we wouldn't be having this discussion...plenty of blame to go around for everyone including the QB of this team. Funny but in that Atlanta game didn't our D stop the Falcons last drive that started with under 5 minutes left in the game to give us the ball back with just over 3 minutes left in the game? Better yet if our D hadn't shutout the Falcons in the 3rd quarter allowing zero points would we have been able to get back into the game at all? or better yet had the offense not turned the ball over 3 times in the 1st half..would this discussion be nessesary? Selective memory is a beautiful thing!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The results this year thus far should have no impact on Daks salary negotiations.

Im sure he still believes he’s Elite and should be paid as such.

Fans attach far too much value on the teams success to their QB.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
You bring up a fair point, OP.

There’s not an easy answer here.

Jaylon and Crawford and Lawrence’s contracts are all terrible, you’re right. But IMO, giving Dak $40million/yr would just further exacerbate the problem. You’d like someone who could carry the team if he’s making that much (but Dak can’t do it all himself).

But at the same time, we aren’t going to find someone better than Dak to take his place.

The organization is between a rock and a hard place. All self inflicted, of course, but still not easy to manage. Looks like lots more suffering for Cowboys fans in the future
he is carrying the team. Unless you want him to play defense, what else can he do to carry the team. Yeah he made his mistakes, but he put the team, bad defense and ol, on his shoulders and took the lead late in the game. Where were the high priced defensive players? I'll tell you, Tank was on the sidelines, and Jaylon was chasing the wrong guy on the 4th down play. I guess Dak should have been on defense too.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Thats fine now if you had also called out the QB for the same thing you are calling out the rest of the team for we wouldn't be having this discussion...plenty of blame to go around for everyone including the QB of this team. Funny but in that Atlanta game didn't our D stop the Falcons last drive that started with under 5 minutes left in the game to give us the ball back with just over 3 minutes left in the game? Better yet if our D hadn't shutout the Falcons in the 3rd quarter allowing zero points would we have been able to get back into the game at all? or better yet had the offense not turned the ball over 3 times in the 1st half..would this discussion be nessesary? Selective memory is a beautiful thing!

Yes they did.

I don’t have a selective memory. I never said they didn’t make a stop in the falcons game. But you’re saying you expect Dak to “win with less than 2 minutes” more often and not putting the same expectation on the highly paid defensive players.

You’re the one who is changing the subject from the actual subject of the thread, in order to bring up your dumb “2 minute” narrative.

if you want to continue going on and on about your stupid 2 minute meaningless narrative. Feel free to do so. Perhaps you should start a 2 minute narrative thread?

I’ll go on continuing to recognize that football games are 60 minutes. Not 2 minutes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Daks performance yesterday reminded me of the Romo era. A QB trying to carry his team.

And much like in Romo era they faced a better QB and team.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes they did.

I don’t have a selective memory. I never said they didn’t make a play in the falcons game.

You’re the one who is changing the subject from the actual subject of the thread, in order to bring up your dumb “2 minute” narrative.

You said you "wont hold your breath" waiting for the D to make a stop at the end or late in games i was just pointing out they did that already and we got a win because of that and a miracle onside kick!

HungryLion

Reaction score
You said you "wont hold your breath" waiting for the D to make a stop at the end or late in games i was just pointing out they did that already

Yet Dak is expected to win games with less than 2 minutes left. More often than the already highly paid players on defense? At least according to you.

Not to mention that Dak is outplaying the defense BY FAR for the rest of the 58 minutes of a football game.

your 2 minute narrative is dumb. Football games are 60 minutes.

HungryLion

Reaction score
You said you "wont hold your breath" waiting for the D to make a stop at the end or late in games i was just pointing out they did that already and we got a win because of that and a miracle onside kick!

Come back with your dumb 2 minute narrative when football games are changed from 60
Minutes to 2 minutes. Ok?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Yet Dak is expected to win games with less than 2 minutes left. More often than the already highly paid players on defense? At least according to you.

Not to mention that Dak is outplaying the defense BY FAR for the rest of the 58 minutes of a football game.

your 2 minute narrative is dumb. Football games are 60 minutes.

Yes and most people would agree with that...especially if he want to be paid as one of the best in the game...because the best in the game do it alot.....not always but alot

Every team in the league is terrified of Russel Wilson having the ball in his hands with the game on the line...guaranteed teams don't feel the same when Dak has the ball..and it's up to Dak to change that

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We’ve made our bed with Dak. And invested in a supporting cast around him. It is what it is. Just have to ride it out. And accept the results. Just like we did with Romo.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yes and most people would agree with that...especially if he want to be paid as one of the best in the game...because the best in the game do it alot.....not always but alot

And Dak has done it just as often in his total career as most. If you actually look at his career totals.

but let’s just ignore that and focus on one season because it suits your agenda. Right?

what a joke.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, they offered him that contract. They offered 33 per year according to sources.
But for 5 years instead of the 4 Goff and Wentz got, and with the same guaranteed money despite the extra year. You have to look at the whole picture.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
And Dak has done it just as often in his total career as most. If you actually look at his career totals.

but let’s just ignore that and focus on one season because it suits your agenda. Right?

what a joke.

How often has he done it the last 3 seasons? I'm talking years 2-3-4 not even the start of this season

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't expect 100% success rate infact here is my exact quote again for you to read "For 40m a season i would expect to have at least won one of those games with the ball in his hands at the end and be 2-1 at this point, instead of being very very lucky to be 1-2
Had the defense made one play, the ones who have already been highly compensated, one stop. We'd be 2-1. But we're so used to the defense not holding a lead, that we just give them a pass.

HungryLion

Reaction score
How often has he done it the last 3 seasons? I'm talking years 2-3-4 not even the start of this season

It’s your assertion that he doesn’t do it enough.

Why don’t you pull up his numbers of game winning drives in the 4th quarter since he has been in the league and compare it with the other QB’s over the same time frame.

To actually back up your assertion. Other than saying “he doesn’t do it enough”

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Had the defense made one play, the ones who have already been highly compensated, one stop. We'd be 2-1. But we're so used to the defense not holding a lead, that we just give them a pass.

Had the offense not turned the ball over twice (not counting the last pass that was intercepted) maybe we wouldn't have been in the situation to begin with

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
I do not want to be mediocre.

What has Dak shown that makes anyone believe he can make a ton of money and us not fall into the abyss of mediocrity?

I may be a delusional Cowboy fan but I feel like Dallas has a better team than Seattle talent wise but the difference is Russell Wilson & they don't do bonehead things.

The question you have to ask is...is Dak the problem. Before yesterday he set a record for consecutive passes with out a pick...hes moving the ball with a shaky line at best. Could he be Early Russell or Ben if the Defense actually showed up. The fact is you can win with Dak as your QB. People act like he didnt drive us down for the lead yesterday. We act like we didnt give up 16 points on play ending drives that got extended by penalties. When he or the his teammates make mistakes youre never out of the game with this guy.

He is not the problem. We need to take the reigns off of him before we get down by 20.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
It’s your assertion that he doesn’t do it enough.

Why don’t you pull up his numbers of game winning drives in the 4th quarter since he has been in the league and compare it with the other QB’s over the same time frame.

To actually back up your assertion. Other than saying “he doesn’t do it enough”

2017.... zero 4th quarter comebacks
2018.....three 4th quarter comebacks
2019.....zero 4th quarter comebacks
2020.....one 4th quarter comebacks

Dak had 5 as a rookie and has been living off that ever since

If you want to do game winning drives (which is a BS stat)
2017... 4 GWD
2018....3 GWD
2019....0 GWD
2020....1 GWD

In his rookie year he had 5 GWD been living off that ever since

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/comeback.cgi?player=PresDa01

HungryLion

Reaction score
2017.... zero 4th quarter comebacks
2018.....three 4th quarter comebacks
2019.....zero 4th quarter comebacks
2020.....one 4th quarter comebacks

Dak had 5 as a rookie and has been living off that ever since

If you want to do game winning drives (which is a BS stat)
2017... 4 GWD
2018....3 GWD
2019....0 GWD
2020....1 GWD

In his rookie year he had 5 GWD been living off that ever since

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/comeback.cgi?player=PresDa01

So the rookie season doesn’t count because he has been “living off it ever since”

And game winning drives is a BS stat but your made up “score to win with less than 2 minutes” isn’t a BS stat?

got it.

I also notice no comparisons to other QB’s over the same time span since Dak has been in the league.

I think I’m done here.

Either way. It’s not the topic of this thread.

all of these numbers are directly impacted by whether highly paid players on the defense make plays or not, late in games.

Which is the whole point of the thread.

I’m done letting you derail it into some BS “has to score with less than 2 minutes to Win” argument when football games are 60 minutes long.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
So the rookie season doesn’t count because he has been “living off it ever since”

And game winning drives is a BS stat but your made up “score to win with less than 2 minutes” isn’t a BS stat?

got it.

It would mean alot if he had done anything since but the numbers say he is getting worse...