The QB salary argument

HungryLion

Reaction score
It’s difficult to take a thread about our QB as objective with that screen name and avatar.

Instead they should recuse themself from any open discussion about Dak.

Maybe you should move past 3rd grade and not judge books by their cover.

Maybe hooked on phonics can help your reading skills.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I think most QBs are over paid. That’s just the NFL right now. Is Wentz worth his contract right now? He looks like the worst QB in the NFCE. Is Cousins worth his contract? Do Brees and Brady look like their old selves? QB are going to be highly paid because they’re hard to replace.

Good post.

There are about 12 guys on the planet who play the position at a high level. It used to be you could get away with outliers like Dilfer and Rypien but not anymore because defenses will never be that dominate in today’s game. Is anyone going to shut Mahomes or Jackson down?

You have to overpay and hope for the best. If you find out you don’t have the guy like Cousins or Stanford or miss on players like Trubisky and Rosen it cripples you. I think the Jets and Giants are on the cusp of that right now.

On the flip side I tie up Kyler Murray immediately.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Maybe you should move past 3rd grade and not judge books by their cover.

Maybe hooked on phonics can help your reading skills.
And we should believe a fan with your screen name and avatar is going to be objective or take any constructive criticism well? C’mon Man

If you want to be a crazed Dak fan. That’s fine. But you should recuse yourself from any serious discussions.

HungryLion

Reaction score
And we should believe a fan with your screen name and avatar is going to be objective or take any constructive criticism well? C’mon Man

If you want to be a crazed Dak fan. That’s fine. But you should recuse yourself from any serious discussions.

Let me know when you do engage in a serious discussion and not your normal nonsense.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak is on pace to pass for 6,336 yards. That would shatter Peyton Manning's single season passing record of 5,477 yards by 859 yards. Almost 1,000 yards more. Incredible!

Indeed, Dak is proving he is elite and worth big pay.

Who cares that he can accumulate 60 yards per drive but then isnt accurate enough to throw for TD's in the RZ.

His % completion in the RZ:

- 2019 - 52.46% - 9th in passing TD's
- 2018 - 50.76% - 22nd in passing TD's
- 2017 - 55.36% - 15th in TD's

Just hasnt got it when it matters.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Crazed Dak fans after almost winning..lol

boston-marathon-crazed-fans-yell-and-wave-along-marathon-course-picture-id526573106

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I do not want to be mediocre.

What has Dak shown that makes anyone believe he can make a ton of money and us not fall into the abyss of mediocrity?

I may be a delusional Cowboy fan but I feel like Dallas has a better team than Seattle talent-wise but the difference is Russell Wilson & they don't do bonehead things.

They don't do bonehead things because they have coaching stability for many years now. They also put their eggs into one basket - they went all-in on Russell. On the contrary they went all-in on our their oline, their runningback, Dlaw, Crawford, J. Smith, etc. They didn't go in all in on Dak.

Wilson has also done boneheaded things in the past. That pass in the Superbowl comes to mind. He also has thrown a pick 6 INT this year.

Russell Wilson didn't get to where he is now because he was perfect. He had his share of boneheaded things in the past. Just like what Dak is going through right now.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
First off, let's get one thing out of the way. Money does matter. Because of the overpayments to DLaw, Zeke and Jaylon, the Cowboys had to let Jones go. Does anyone here think that had no impact? After watching this secondary debacle? The amount of money that can be spent is fixed. The more money one guy gets, the less you have for others. The team that wins the title is effectively the one that spent its money the best.

On Dak, I don't think he sucks. I think he is in the group with a bunch of other QB's who are good enough to win with a good team around them but will struggle when surrounded by mediocrity. Let's be honest, there aren't many superstar QB's that can turn a mediocre team into a contender. Its not an insult to Dak.

As such, I think that giving Dak a massive deal is a mistake. Letting him walk is also probably a mistake. Rock, meet hard place.

I'm not even sure it matters though due to the Tank, Zeke and Jaylon deals. This team is going to be so hamstrung its going to be near impossible to build a contender. As always with Jerry, he finds a way to stack the team with overpaid players who have seen better days.

Why would it be a mistake to give your QB a massive deal and its ok to give Tank, Zeke and Jaylon massive deals? Frankly, if I was Dak I would have stuck to my guns as well. There is no reason why those underperformers got way above their pay grade and Dak is not getting what he is asking for.

I think when all this is all said and done, and Dak goes onto another team, wins games, and possibly win a Superbowl, there will be a feast of crows taking place in this forum.

basel90

Reaction score
That's the point isn't it. What's done has been done. It's irrelevant as in reality nobody will trade for them now.
The best way to build going forwards is either through a VET QB on a cheap deal like Tannehill or Newton and to draft a QB on a rookie contract. In the process save around $30 million a year which can be used on 2-3 elite defenders who are genuine game changers.
If we sign Prescott to a long term deal for $35-40 million a year then we are doomed. All we will hear is people bang on about his amazing numbers in a loaded offense and blame the defense (what do people really expect given where the resources will have been committed) resulting in similar outcomes to the opening three games this season. We would not have enough pieces to reach a Superbowl so my view is why on earth go down that route that so many other teams do because...that's what other teams do! Look at the STATE of the Vikings and Cousins...that's waiting to be the Cowboys and Prescott unless we move on.
Exactly my point . People forget how most players go south once they get paid big . Remember dez , remember DLaw , Cooper now etc etc .
And Dak has many chances to show he is talented enough to overcome the deficiencies the defense has. He is simply not that type of talent nor was he at college .
It will be a costly mistake if the 35-40 mil madness goes ahead .

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Who cares that he can accumulate 60 yards per drive but then isnt accurate enough to throw for TD's in the RZ.

His % completion in the RZ:

- 2019 - 52.46% - 9th in passing TD's
- 2018 - 50.76% - 22nd in passing TD's
- 2017 - 55.36% - 15th in TD's

Just hasnt got it when it matters.
31 and 40 points back-to-back is not good enough for you?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Here’s one of my issues if the team decides to not pay Dak.

I have heard all the arguments that Dak wants too much money and it will hamstring the salary cap.

Well, Dak is one of the best players on the team (he is you know it’s true) and he plays the most important position in football.

So we are supposed to move on from Dak and risk the very real possibility of having worse QB play. So we can “sign other players and get better play on the rest of the team”

Really?

sign other players like who? DeMarcus Lawrence?

like Jaylon Smith?

like Tyrone Crawford?

These scrub bums have massive deals and DO NOTHING.

so y’all want to risk having worse QB play so our wonderful GM’s Jerry and Stephen can turn around and sign some more scrub, bum defenders who make a ton of cash and DO NOTHING?

How about DeMarcus Lawrence and Jaylon Smith and Tyrone Crawford actually play up to their contract? If those 3 guys actually played to their level of pay. The cowboys defense would be legit good rather than giving up 5 touchdown passes yesterday.

But I’m supposed to hope for the cowboys to sign a worse QB or risk drafting one when they’ve shown little ability to do so, so they can turn around and give the money to defenders, despite the cowboys front office burning cash consistently on BUMS on defense?

that’s supposed to make sense?

Y’all worried about the cap are worried about the wrong cap management issue. Don’t throw 20 mil on DE’s who don’t get sacks.

don’t throw millions at a linebacker who doesn’t know where he is going and has made zero plays.

don’t throw nearly 10 mil at a BACKUP level DL player.

it’s a joke.

We've got a lot of bad contracts. That's not a good argument to sign another one.

I'm on the fence about signing Dak. I think starting QBs are *generally* overvalued, opening a big competitive opportunity to draft a QB or go cheap and have a massive cap advantage during his contract.

But as far as QBs are concerned, if you're not on my 'go cheap' bandwagon, and plan to sign a franchise QB for franchise money, I'd say Dak qualifies.

Next up for the Dak Improvement Plan - learn how to properly place a 5 yard pass. He's show that he can improve his accuracy. Now spend some time on those. Youch.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
31 and 40 points back-to-back is not good enough for you?

No and neither should you if you support the Cowboys.

Typical Dak fan ....find the irrelevant stat and overlook the issues behind the numbers (played against two of the worst secondary defenses and only won due after an onside kick).

Im not saying he's the problem, but he's certainly not a $40m solution.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No and neither should you if you support the Cowboys.

Typical Dak fan ....find the irrelevant stat and overlook the issues behind the numbers (played against two of the worst secondary defenses and only won due after an onside kick).

Im not saying he's the problem, but he's certainly not a $40m solution.
LOL!!!

So Dak is the problem in your opinion, eh?

Not worth $40 million? Uh, after the Cowboys have continued to lowball him while Dak keeps improving his passing numbers and leading the league, yeah, you'd better believe he's now worth $40 million. That's the market for top passers.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
LOL!!!

So Dak is the problem in your opinion, eh?

Not worth $40 million? Uh, after the Cowboys have continued to lowball him while Dak keeps improving his passing numbers and leading the league, yeah, you'd better believe he's now worth $40 million. That's the market for top passers.

How about reading posts rather than making assumptions......did I say he's the problem???

$40m IS the market for a top passer - his stats in the RZ kind of proves he's not a top passer.....making plays in your own 30 yard line means nothing if you cant convert the drive.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
How about reading posts rather than making assumptions......did I say he's the problem???

$40m IS the market for a top passer - his stats in the RZ kind of proves he's not a top passer.....making plays in your own 30 yard line means nothing if you cant convert the drive.
Like I said...

31 and 40 points are not good enough for you?

You're contradicting yourself! When did Dak not produce in the redzone the past 2 weeks???

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Like I said...

31 and 40 points are not good enough for you?

You're contradicting yourself! When did Dak not produce in the redzone the past 2 weeks???

He's 14th best QB by comp % in the RZ this season with only 2 TD's (a worse conversion rate than Mayfield, Garoppolo and Haskins).

He also played against two of the worst secondary's.

What contradictions?

kskboys

Reaction score
Here’s one of my issues if the team decides to not pay Dak.

I have heard all the arguments that Dak wants too much money and it will hamstring the salary cap.

Well, Dak is one of the best players on the team (he is you know it’s true) and he plays the most important position in football.

So we are supposed to move on from Dak and risk the very real possibility of having worse QB play. So we can “sign other players and get better play on the rest of the team”

Really?

sign other players like who? DeMarcus Lawrence?

like Jaylon Smith?

like Tyrone Crawford?

These scrub bums have massive deals and DO NOTHING.

so y’all want to risk having worse QB play so our wonderful GM’s Jerry and Stephen can turn around and sign some more scrub, bum defenders who make a ton of cash and DO NOTHING?

How about DeMarcus Lawrence and Jaylon Smith and Tyrone Crawford actually play up to their contract? If those 3 guys actually played to their level of pay. The cowboys defense would be legit good rather than giving up 5 touchdown passes yesterday.

But I’m supposed to hope for the cowboys to sign a worse QB or risk drafting one when they’ve shown little ability to do so, so they can turn around and give the money to defenders, despite the cowboys front office burning cash consistently on BUMS on defense?

that’s supposed to make sense?

Y’all worried about the cap are worried about the wrong cap management issue. Don’t throw 20 mil on DE’s who don’t get sacks.

don’t throw millions at a linebacker who doesn’t know where he is going and has made zero plays.

don’t throw nearly 10 mil at a BACKUP level DL player.

it’s a joke.

Your points about overpaying others is true. However, that does not make the argument that we should also overpay Dak. Non sequitar.