The QB salary argument

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s one of my issues if the team decides to not pay Dak.

I have heard all the arguments that Dak wants too much money and it will hamstring the salary cap.

Well, Dak is one of the best players on the team (he is you know it’s true) and he plays the most important position in football.

So we are supposed to move on from Dak and risk the very real possibility of having worse QB play. So we can “sign other players and get better play on the rest of the team”

Really?

sign other players like who? DeMarcus Lawrence?

like Jaylon Smith?

like Tyrone Crawford?

These scrub bums have massive deals and DO NOTHING.

so y’all want to risk having worse QB play so our wonderful GM’s Jerry and Stephen can turn around and sign some more scrub, bum defenders who make a ton of cash and DO NOTHING?

How about DeMarcus Lawrence and Jaylon Smith and Tyrone Crawford actually play up to their contract? If those 3 guys actually played to their level of pay. The cowboys defense would be legit good rather than giving up 5 touchdown passes yesterday.

But I’m supposed to hope for the cowboys to sign a worse QB or risk drafting one when they’ve shown little ability to do so, so they can turn around and give the money to defenders, despite the cowboys front office burning cash consistently on BUMS on defense?

that’s supposed to make sense?

Y’all worried about the cap are worried about the wrong cap management issue. Don’t throw 20 mil on DE’s who don’t get sacks.

don’t throw millions at a linebacker who doesn’t know where he is going and has made zero plays.

don’t throw nearly 10 mil at a BACKUP level DL player.

it’s a joke.

Give Dak a 40 million mega-deal and let's stay in the NFL toilet for another 5-7 years.
I love beating dog teams and falling behind in pretty much every one of our games.
Field Goals are so chic!
3 and outs hmmm good for you!
Cap who cares as we lost are only shut-down CB (Byron) due to Dak's Tag and Gallup will be gone along with others faster than you can say, Prescott.
Have no fears Dak will carry the team esp after 2 seasons from now when our offline and Zeke will have worn down along with Coop and others and no cap monies will be available to replenish!
DAK PRESCOTT is a one-man show jeez I swear sometimes I can't tell the difference between him and Mahomes out there!!:rolleyes:

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
But again you ignore that the OTHER HIGHLY PAID PLAYERS could have made plays. And that record changes. You think winning a game on the “final” drive comes down only to the QB? That’s laughable.

Russell Wilson wouldn’t have a “last minute drive win” yesterday if his defense doesn’t make plays. Meanwhile Dak would have had a 4th quarter comeback for a win, if his defense gets a stop on 4th and 3. Instead of allowing the tight end to get a clean release and catch an easy ball for a first down in the middle.

that’s how football works. The entire “last second drive for a win” nonsense rhetoric is just that. Nonsense.

I'm not ignoring them i agree with you, but it is you who is making the excuses for Dak and ignoring his play if he wants 40m per season...for that kind of money (top 3 in the league) you need to win some of those games..c'mon man whats are record against winning teams the last 2 seasons? Balls in Dak's hands at the end with plenty of time, he needs to find a way to win some of those games. Offense was on the field at the end with the chance to drive down the field and win or tie the game not the Defense having to make a stop to win it

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Just because we made a mistake with Crawford, Lawrence and Smith does not Ema. We need to add to the misery. Dak Prescott while I like the guy needs a Complete team around him.

Name me the last QB to win the super bowl who had a horrible team.... this is where you lose me all Super bowl winning QB's have very good to great teams around them, Now name me the "lets go get an 20 mill qb and put talent around him" QB who has won in the " you cant touch the WR " era of football...... $40 mill will only look top end until the next 3 QB's get their deals.....that money we are paying our defensive failures is going to look high for a while... Im cool with moving on from Dak for a better QB I'm not cool with pay Dalton 20 million and bring in a defense because that hasn't worked in a while for any team.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I'm not ignoring them i agree with you, but it is you who is making the excuses for Dak and ignoring his play if he wants 40m per season...for that kind of money (top 3 in the league) you need to win some of those games..c'mon man whats are record against winning teams the last 2 seasons? Balls in Dak's hands at the end with plenty of time, he needs to find a way to win some of those games. Offense was on the field at the end with the chance to drive down the field and win or tie the game not the Defense having to make a stop to win it

He just did win one of those games.

he also gave the team the lead with 4 minutes to play yesterday.

What else more is there to discuss? Who is making excuses? Not me. It is what it is.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
He just did win one of those games.

he also gave the team the lead with 4 minutes to play yesterday.

What else more is there to discuss? Who is making excuses? Not me. It is what it is.

And had the ball again with 2 minutes left and 3 timouts...that is why you get paid the big bucks, to win the game at the end. Your right D gave the lead back to Seattle but Dak had his chance to go and get the win (with lots of time on the clock and 3 timouts so no need to panic or rush) and he couldn't.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Do we pay Dak more than Wilson ?

th

HungryLion

Reaction score
And had the ball again with 2 minutes left and 3 timouts...that is why you get paid the big bucks, to win the game at the end. Your right D gave the lead back to Seattle but Dak had his chance to go and get the win (with lots of time on the clock and 3 timouts so no need to panic or rush) and he couldn't.

I don’t care about your stupid “ball with 2 minutes left narrative”. That’s your narrative.

The end of games are won and lost by teams. Period.

he gave the defense a chance where they just needed one play and the cowboys win. JUST ONE PLAY. Nobody on defense made a play. Even the already highly paid ones. Period. He handed the defense a lead late in the 4th quarter, Where all they needed was one stop and cowboys win. They couldn’t do it.

you can focus on 2 minutes to go blah blah blah narrative. I’m not talking about that, I don’t care about that narrative and I don’t agree with that narrative. End of discussion.

You want to talk about “2 minutes to go” start a thread about it.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I don’t care about your stupid “ball with 2 minutes left narrative”. That’s your narrative.

The end of games are won and lost by teams. Period.

he gave the defense a chance where they just needed one play and the cowboys win. JUST ONE PLAY. Nobody on defense made a play. Even the already highly paid ones. Period. He handed the defense a lead late in the 4th quarter, Where all they needed was one stop and cowboys win. They couldn’t do it.

you can focus on 2 minutes to go blah blah blah narrative. I’m not talking about that, I don’t care about that narrative and I don’t agree with that narrative. End of discussion.

You want to talk about “2 minutes to go” start a thread about it.

LOL

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Wait ..... to judge a QB on this you need to find out what the Standard is...like Dak has had to try this 3 weeks in a row and done it once...so before you say "he has to win these to get paid" shouldn't we see what the normal % of these is? Now if your saying you only want a QB that can do this 100% of the time....then this study should show us which QB has that %..... I'm betting your gonna have to say "ooh 25% is pretty high when the other team knows you gotta score a TD with 2 minutes left. Again I'm not saying Dak is great, what I'm saying is if you keep saying a real QB puts up a TD to win all these games, I'm telling you thats not true every top QB probably has about a 25% success rate in that scenario.

HungryLion

Reaction score

I mean seriously. It’s a dumb narrative. It only counts if there’s less than 2 minutes left right? God forbid he give the defense the lead with 4 minutes left and not less than 2.

it’s poor logic.

like. It only counts if he happens to win the game and leaves zero time left for The defense to crap the bed.?

Expecting that week in and week out is insanity.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Wait ..... to judge a QB on this you need to find out what the Standard is...like Dak has had to try this 3 weeks in a row and done it once...so before you say "he has to win these to get paid" shouldn't we see what the normal % of these is? Now if your saying you only want a QB that can do this 100% of the time....then this study should show us which QB has that %..... I'm betting your gonna have to say "ooh 25% is pretty high when the other team knows you gotta score a TD with 2 minutes left. Again I'm not saying Dak is great, what I'm saying is if you keep saying a real QB puts up a TD to win all these games, I'm telling you thats not true every top QB probably has about a 25% success rate in that scenario.

I don't need him to win them all just some of them once and awhile would be nice...especially against some of the better teams out there. If you want the big bucks that is what you need to do

HungryLion

Reaction score
now that is very true. They seem to pay the wrong guys every time.

I hear ya about the concerns with paying Dak. I do. I don’t blame ya.

I just have the same concerns about them actually building a defense good enough to win with mediocre QB play if they fail to find an adequate replacement.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
First off, let's get one thing out of the way. Money does matter. Because of the overpayments to DLaw, Zeke and Jaylon, the Cowboys had to let Jones go. Does anyone here think that had no impact? After watching this secondary debacle? The amount of money that can be spent is fixed. The more money one guy gets, the less you have for others. The team that wins the title is effectively the one that spent its money the best.

On Dak, I don't think he sucks. I think he is in the group with a bunch of other QB's who are good enough to win with a good team around them but will struggle when surrounded by mediocrity. Let's be honest, there aren't many superstar QB's that can turn a mediocre team into a contender. Its not an insult to Dak.

As such, I think that giving Dak a massive deal is a mistake. Letting him walk is also probably a mistake. Rock, meet hard place.

I'm not even sure it matters though due to the Tank, Zeke and Jaylon deals. This team is going to be so hamstrung its going to be near impossible to build a contender. As always with Jerry, he finds a way to stack the team with overpaid players who have seen better days.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I mean seriously. It’s a dumb narrative. It only counts if there’s less than 2 minutes left right? God forbid he give the defense the lead with 4 minutes left and not less than 2.

it’s poor logic.

Alot of NFL games are decided in the last 2 minutes...it's not a dumb narrative