The QB School film breakdown- Trey Lance edition

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
A video over an hour long?

Could someone please recap?
Cliff notes version......................2 main takeaways from a quick skim through the video

Lance has problems with his accuracy, you could see this in his ball placement being high and behind the receivers.

Lance has problems reading the defense in terms or his read pre-snap and post snap and knowing where to go with the ball, you could see this in his hesitation and "waiting" for receivers to come open instead of throwing them open.

BOTTOM LINE................Lance has talent, especially athletic talent, but due to his lack of experience and playing time he is very raw and is more of a "project" than a "starter" at this stage in his career. For a team that is ready to contend for a championship right now (like S.F), you can see why they decided to move on, the only way Lance is going to get significantly better is with playing time and he was not going to get that in S.F and probably not in Dallas either.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Cliff notes version......................2 main takeaways from a quick skim through the video

Lance has problems with his accuracy, you could see this in his ball placement being high and behind the receivers.

Lance has problems reading the defense in terms or his read pre-snap and post snap and knowing where to go with the ball, you could see this in his hesitation and "waiting" for receivers to come open instead of throwing them open.

BOTTOM LINE................Lance has talent, especially athletic talent, but due to his lack of experience and playing time he is very raw and is more of a "project" than a "starter" at this stage in his career. For a team that is ready to contend for a championship right now (like S.F), you can see why they decided to move on, the only way Lance is going to get significantly better is with playing time and he was not going to get that in S.F and probably not in Dallas either.
This is not new.

Of course, he needs reps.

He needs more reps with the 1s.

The more reps, the sooner he is a starter.

The kid checks a lot of boxes.

And we got him for a 4th.

An amazing trade.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is not new.

An amazing trade.
He is barely getting reps with the 2's. Watched a video titled Dak calling plays for the second team. Trance was standing next to Dak.

The 1's are not going to play in preseason much if at all. So working with them at camp to then play in preseason with the 2's and 3's is not going to help him.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a shame that it appears Cowboys fans have to down play Lance to show loyalty to Dak. I guess it’s media/youtube driven with Bobby Belt, Mark Holmes, Dak attack, and Voch. Cavanaugh said the Cowboys should eat 4 million dollars and trade Lance to Minnesota for a 5th round pick. Just sad how the Cowboys fandom make Stephen A right. :facepalm: :huh:
The Dak Crusaders find ANY excuse for Dak...wrong routes, bad play design, the defense sucks...one knucklehead even said MM made him throw the interception....:laugh:

But every Cowboys problem in this preseason game...is Lance.

Humans are weird.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What decision?
Dude:
Extend old boy?
New contract?
At what price?
Give up on him?
What does his side want?
You can say who cares and then what?
Decisions will need to be made.
They probably aren't critical decisions. The Cowboys ultimate fate does not rest with what Jerry does with Lance.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It’s a shame that it appears Cowboys fans have to down play Lance to show loyalty to Dak. I guess it’s media/youtube driven with Bobby Belt, Mark Holmes, Dak attack, and Voch. Cavanaugh said the Cowboys should eat 4 million dollars and trade Lance to Minnesota for a 5th round pick. Just sad how the Cowboys fandom make Stephen A right. :facepalm: :huh:
It is a shame you can't comprehend they have nothing to do with each other. If Dak was traded away tomorrow, Trance still sucks.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
A video over an hour long?

Could someone please recap?
1) Major theme: inconsistent. He will make the right reads and plays then throw a pass that QBs at this level should easily make.

2) Inaccurate too much.

3) Very athletic and can rip the ball.

4) Hesitates to let the ball rip and is 1) with it. One time he’ll throw to the open receiver on a slant. The next time it’s practically the same play and he won’t. Or the ball comes out a little late.

5) Praised some of his plays where he’d look one way and then the other and let the ball rip to the right receiver. He said these type of plays need to be more common.

6) Has some issues with “wasted motion”. He spent an inordinate amount of time showing this in the beginning, but I didn’t really see this. The same guy has a video short on Penix and I saw the same type of motion from him but didn’t see him point it out.

So what I got from it is he shows flashes, but he needs to be consistent and improve his accuracy.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there is a rationale for trading Lance if we can recoup a draft pick. He is very obviously no threat to win the back up job. So why in the world would we pin our future hopes on him? SF is a smarter team than than us and they had a lot more invested than we do. Now, if they want to move him to running back , I’d be on board with that scenario since he might be our only run threat.

shabazz

Reaction score
1) Major theme: inconsistent. He will make the right reads and plays then throw a pass that QBs at this level should easily make.

2) Inaccurate too much.

3) Very athletic and can rip the ball.

4) Hesitates to let the ball rip and is 1) with it. One time he’ll throw to the open receiver on a slant. The next time it’s practically the same play and he won’t. Or the ball comes out a little late.

5) Praised some of his plays where he’d look one way and then the other and let the ball rip to the right receiver. He said these type of plays need to be more common.

6) Has some issues with “wasted motion”. He spent an inordinate amount of time showing this in the beginning, but I didn’t really see this. The same guy has a video short on Penix and I saw the same type of motion from him but didn’t see him point it out.

So what I got from it is he shows flashes, but he needs to be consistent and improve his accuracy.
Well done and thanks

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It is a shame you can't comprehend they have nothing to do with each other. If Dak was traded away tomorrow, Trance still sucks.
Most people cheering for Lance hate Dak and therefore Dak Stan’s have made it a point to crap Lance. You see it in the media and on the board.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think there is a rationale for trading Lance if we can recoup a draft pick. He is very obviously no threat to win the back up job. So why in the world would we pin our future hopes on him? SF is a smarter team than than us and they had a lot more invested than we do. Now, if they want to move him to running back , I’d be on board with that scenario since he might be our only run threat.
You keep Lance because you don’t want to be in a Minnesota situation. The Cowboys have plenty of draft picks. We all have seen Rush through his career. He has been awful in preseason games most of his career. Rush’s claim to fame is his 5-1 record on the back of the Cowboys defense. There is a reason he signed a minimum salary contract last offseason.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only run threat? You're pulling our leg right?
If you want to use him like that...give him the gimmick qb slot like whatshisname.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You keep Lance because you don’t want to be in a Minnesota situation. The Cowboys have plenty of draft picks. We all have seen Rush through his career. He has been awful in preseason games most of his career. Rush’s claim to fame is his 5-1 record on the back of the Cowboys defense. There is a reason he signed a minimum salary contract last offseason.
I want you to remember...maybe rush didn't put the team on his back....but he didn't hurt the defense either. Like dak did with gb..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

essentially he is an olympic athelte, but not an NFL QB...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I want you to remember...maybe rush didn't put the team on his back....but he didn't hurt the defense either. Like dak did with gb..
he didn't hurt the defense? how? his offense ranked 22nd and below in every statistical category including TOP. that's hurting the defense. the defense gave up 13 points a game and scored a couple of times. the defense helped Rush in those wins than the other way around. the very first time a team scored more than 20 points, we lost. all the pressure was on defense.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Nothing is as it seems.

Ever wonder why they would do a breakdown of Lance after the first preseason game?
A game in which the Cowboys were not going to reveal much, anyway?
PROPAGANDA
Totally disagree, he did the breakdown because fans want to hear the opinion of someone who understands the game.

It is obvious that he is very raw, but has great athleticism and can make plays when things break down but it is equally as obvious that he is late with basic throws because of his mechanics and not having the confidence to trust what he sees. He also has accuracy issues.

It wasn't all on him though, some of the receivers didn't run correct routes and the oline struggled in protection.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is not new.

An amazing trade.
wait, you are already designating him as a starter? how? why? 4 years in the league. 4 years of top level coaching. 4 years of spending time in QB room. 4 years of learning and he still can't read a defense pre snap or post snap....WTH?

the kid doesn't check many boxes. is he accurate? no. can he read a defense? no. can he adjust pre-snap? no. does he know where to go with the ball? no. can he run? yes.

he only checks one box, which is the least important box for the QB.

amazing trade? yes amazingly stupid trade. we got fleeced