The running game thread

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Maybe they did, or would of, if Cowboys did not win so much. 12-4 is pretty good doncha think? I didn't see you complaining when Murray and Cowboys out physicaled and laid the smack down on Seattle, everyone was on the bandwagon then. And for good reason.

exactly. People saying it isn't the 90's anymore. It was last season. Everyone knew we were going to run the ball and they couldn't stop us.

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
exactly. People saying it isn't the 90's anymore. It was last season. Everyone knew we were going to run the ball and they couldn't stop us.

Yes but they didnt know if we were running strong side, weak side, power, set up backside cutback, all presnap adjustments Romo can make based on D he sees. We are missing the coach on the field who could kill the run play and make the D pay for stacking the box. All comes down to Romo being hurt.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
RBs aren't great but the OL has been getting thrown around.

Sad to say but arguably the most over hyped and overrated part of this team has been their OL.

Agree 100%. I think that Martin is suffering from some neck and nerve issues from the " stinger" and has caused a loss in strength similar to nerve impingement Free isn't 100% from his foot injury and the same w Leary. All of those injuries combined with Clutts ineffective play at fullback has resulted in a poor running game.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The running game has nothing to do with Demarco leaving (See Arizona game last year). The OL (same guys as last year) has played poorly against stacked boxes, what do we expect...The OL needs Tony Romo. Weeden has played alright but defenses do not respect him down the field and he cannot make the presnap adjustments Romo does on a regular basis to allow for the running game to have the most success. We are even more predictable and Weeden is not experienced enough to check us out of bad situations and make the D pay. I am really surprised many people are missing this.

Even with Romo, the run game was no where near where it was in 2015. Not even close. Having Romo carry the offense so early and often contributed to his injury. Last season, Romo was so successful because he did not have to throw all the time so did not have to press, or get hit as often.

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
Even with Romo, the run game was no where near where it was in 2015. Not even close. Having Romo carry the offense so early and often contributed to his injury. Last season, Romo was so successful because he did not have to throw all the time so did not have to press, or get hit as often.

Against philly last year demarco averaged 77 yards/game (good run D) and about 125/game against NYG. Week 1 against NYG: wacky turnovers changed game script leading us to pass. Still had over 200 scrimmage yards from rbs. Week 2 tough philly run D. Romo injured in 3rd quarter. Dont think we got a good chance to assess run game with Romo on field with only 6 quarters.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Against philly last year demarco averaged 77 yards/game (good run D) and about 125/game against NYG. Week 1 against NYG: wacky turnovers changed game script leading us to pass. Still had over 200 scrimmage yards from rbs. Week 2 tough philly run D. Romo injured in 3rd quarter. Dont think we got a good chance to assess run game with Romo on field with only 6 quarters.

Murray averaged over a century a game, running and receiving. When he wasn't running hard, he was a very good outlet in passing game. Funny how it takes a RBBC to replace Murray. Murray never came off the field, because the coaches/players relied on him too much.

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
Murray averaged over a century a game, running and receiving. When he wasn't running hard, he was a very good outlet in passing game. Funny how it takes a RBBC to replace Murray. Murray never came off the field, because the coaches/players relied on him too much.

Just giving you stats:

2014 Demarco Murray
Phi@Dal 20 carries 73 yards
Dal@Phi 31 carries 81 yards
Arizona@Dal (injured Romo) 19 carries 79 yards
Showed Philly games because we played them already this year (better numbers this year, no murray) and Cards game because run game wasn't effective without Romo still with Murray.

2015 Dallas Rushing
NYG@Dal 23 carries 80 yards (>120 receiving yards)
Dal@Phi 33 carries 109 yards

A healthy Tony Romo fixes the run games' woes much more than having demarco murray in the backfield instead of Randle and company. I'm just trying to point out it is a qb league and losing a franchise qb impacts yes obviously your receiving game, but also run game, 3rd down success, time of possession and thus defense. We should expect what is happening. Healthy Romo different story even without Murray. Most important part.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Just giving you stats:

2014 Demarco Murray
Phi@Dal 20 carries 73 yards
Dal@Phi 31 carries 81 yards
Arizona@Dal (injured Romo) 19 carries 79 yards
Showed Philly games because we played them already this year (better numbers this year, no murray) and Cards game because run game wasn't effective without Romo still with Murray.

2015 Dallas Rushing
NYG@Dal 23 carries 80 yards (>120 receiving yards)
Dal@Phi 33 carries 109 yards

A healthy Tony Romo fixes the run games' woes much more than having demarco murray in the backfield instead of Randle and company. I'm just trying to point out it is a qb league and losing a franchise qb impacts yes obviously your receiving game, but also run game, 3rd down success, time of possession and thus defense. We should expect what is happening. Healthy Romo different story even without Murray. Most important part.

Romo was also healthier in 2016 than in 2015, apples to apples, and offense was struggling. Combining 3 guys stats and comparing to Murray is circumspect, why not compare RB group from 2015 vs. 2016, especially because we all know that Murray had a historically good season.

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
Romo was also healthier in 2016 than in 2015, apples to apples, and offense was struggling. Combining 3 guys stats and comparing to Murray is circumspect, why not compare RB group from 2015 vs. 2016, especially because we all know that Murray had a historically good season.

You just said Murray never left the field? This season with Romo, 6 quarters of "offensive struggle" against 2 division rivals where records/talent always gets thrown out and games are always close/ugly. But you are right, I am playing the "if" game, but I honestly think we would likely be 4-0 and not talking about the run game with a healthy Romo even with all the injuries elsewhere. It is a qb passing league the way flags are thrown on DBs now. Pass to set up run or have a QB intelligent/experienced enough to make presnap adjustments to keep D on heels and put run game in best case scenario. Even with a Murray back there against AZ last year we couldn't run effectively without Romo. Why is the struggle surprising this year? Changing the RB doesn't fix it, need the franchise QB.

CaptainCreed

Reaction score

Last year Murray averaged 3.0 yards BEFORE contact. Randle was averaging 0.9 yards BEFORE contact through 3 games. Reflection of blocking not RB talent. Same guys up front. We are just running into unfavorable situations, no presnap adjustments being made.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
This ain't the 90s.

It's parity football...

College football you used to see teams run it down everyone's throats as well.. The powerhouses like Nebraska eventually just couldn't line up and run it anymore either even at that
Even.

Football has evolved and if you let these defenses know what you're doing the majority of the time they will stop it.

Last season we had a powerhouse running game and nobody could stop it. Not even Seattle at home. The 49ers had that same look the year they went to the super bowl. We can be a dominate running team again just like last season but it will not work with Randle and DMAC because neither can gain yards after contact.

Satchel89

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're watching...at all.
I watched the game. That's what I watched. If you seen something different, That's fine. Do you think the O-Line is playing great? I'm just writing what I saw. I'm not saying I know everything but I'm just giving my opinion. I don't like what I'm seeing from Randle and that's what...I watched

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I watched the game. That's what I watched. If you seen something different, That's fine. Do you think the O-Line is playing great? I'm just writing what I saw. I'm not saying I know everything but I'm just giving my opinion. I don't like what I'm seeing from Randle and that's what...I watched

No, the Oline is not playing well. I like what I see from Randle (dive at the GL dive not withstanding), but the OL isn't giving him consistent opportunities. He looks much better than McFadden to me.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
isn't that similar problem to philly. their passing game ain't clicking and Chip "the genius" Kelly and his scheme ain't helping neither. it takes talent to win. our talent on offense is limited.

Yeah I'm sure that's part of it in Philly.

It's also because their O-line simply isn't as good as people wanted to believe it was. But they're better than what you're seeing, much like with our line, but their QB and play calling is making it harder on them.

On top of that they run a different type of running scheme that I don't believe Murray is suited for to be quite honest.

khiladi

Reaction score
wow, you don't stop at anything. so now callahan is the architect of the running game. can I ask how you know this? how do you know Garrett burned bridges? isn't this the same garrett who you just called out that helped bring in linehan or marinelli..... which you are so quick to give credit to...but I am sure they came despite garrett...I guess jerry held a gun to their head because they are certainly not the highest paid coordinators in the league...

unbelievable the shiet people make up to justify their opinions.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...n-get-for-cowboys-improved-rushing-attack.ece

"Bill Callahan, after all, is the man who implemented the zone blocking scheme — the foundation of the team’s prolific running game that has opened a new dimension within the offense at the same time it’s helped stabilize the defense."

You could actually read and do your own research.

khiladi

Reaction score
***? didn't jerry give Murray and offer. and philly just blew everyone away with a ridiculous contract!!! so Jerry and team were smart not to strap the cap. and btw, this is the same thing people complained about when we were cap strapped. making and giving out bad deals. I am sure if murray was here and had hamstring injuries, you would be here saying why did we give him a big contract!!!!

My point was actually the Running game is suffering not because of the loss of Murray as much as it is the loss of Callahan. Callahan has the RG in Washington clicking on all cylinders with a rookie getting a huge majority of carries and not just Morris, who BTW was dropped off last year until Callahan came and revived the whole running game.

khiladi

Reaction score
Commanders had the #1, #5, #19 running game in the league over the past three years. its not like they all of a sudden became a running team.

Each year they were dropping. The year they were number #1 was with RG3 and the pistol offense and the Shanahan's was running the offense. RG3 was adding numbers to that attack.

Further, the Shanahan's pushed out great numbers from the RB as well with their running schemes, always if in Denver, but the running game clearly dropped once they left and was already dropping as teams caught in to RG3.

Wherever Callahan has gone as an OL guru and in charge of the run game, he gets it done.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...n-get-for-cowboys-improved-rushing-attack.ece

"Bill Callahan, after all, is the man who implemented the zone blocking scheme — the foundation of the team’s prolific running game that has opened a new dimension within the offense at the same time it’s helped stabilize the defense."

You could actually read and do your own research.

he implemented the zone blocking scheme.... as part of the offensive philosophy and plan. he did what the head coach and OC had in mind. does he get credit for the play of the OL? yes. does he get credit for success of the offense. partially. it takes the whole village carrying out their role for the success. to lay the entire success on the zone scheme and one assistant coach, makes no sense at all. was he a good OC? no. was he a good head coach? no. was he a good OL coach. absolutely. as one of the players said, "he was an integral part of it". Integral, not all!

lets not forget the talent he also had available to him. as the article said, since you pointed to it " The year before Callahan was hired, Dallas was 18th in rushing and had a blocking front that included rookie seventh-round pick Bill Nagy, undrafted center Phil Costa and aging right guard Kyle Kosier"...compare that to martin, Fredrick and leary......

do you really think the cowboys rushing success last year would have been the same with a lesser talent?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Each year they were dropping. The year they were number #1 was with RG3 and the pistol offense and the Shanahan's was running the offense. RG3 was adding numbers to that attack.

Further, the Shanahan's pushed out great numbers from the RB as well with their running schemes, always if in Denver, but the running game clearly dropped once they left and was already dropping as teams caught in to RG3.

Wherever Callahan has gone as an OL guru and in charge of the run game, he gets it done.

regardless. the Commanders were good rushing team prior to Callahan arriving. everyone is talking about Callahan making the Commanders into a rushing attack juggernaut in the 4th game of the season. last year was their worst year for obvious reasons....which also brings the other point, you need a good QB to run any scheme. weeden ain't cutting it.