The running game thread

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
They are getting their tail handed to them. I don't know why. They need to man up. Its no one's fault but their own. You don't go from all pro to this carp over night. Its not like it's one of them. They are one. And it doesn't mean it's the coaching. Not buying it. Nut up.

Noryb

Reaction score
I'm done with Randle. He's smiling after doing the stupid dive when he got the touchdown. The coaches told him not to do that anymore and he did anyway. The O-Line is playing like crap. They have to be better. That's the bottom line. They need to play like the line that everyone says is the best line in football. They aren't the best. Not right now anyway. But Randle gets the ball and dances around and he acts like a clown. I'm not saying McFadden has been all that much better but I think he's better for the team right now. It's not Randle

What was he thinking?

Last edited:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
What was he thinking?

I don't know that I've ever heard a coaching staff tell a player what way they are allowed to score. Rather than telling him, "Don't do that.", they should be coaching him up on when to do it and how to do it safely.

If they had told him, "We'd rather you didn't, but if you have to do it, keep two hands on the ball." then they address the real issue - which is ball security.

That's like telling Dez to not fight for yards after a catch. It's part of the game, what you do is tell him if he's going to fight he needs to be decisive and protect the ball.

Noryb

Reaction score
I don't know that I've ever heard a coaching staff tell a player what way they are allowed to score. Rather than telling him, "Don't do that.", they should be coaching him up on when to do it and how to do it safely.

If they had told him, "We'd rather you didn't, but if you have to do it, keep two hands on the ball." then they address the real issue - which is ball security.

That's like telling Dez to not fight for yards after a catch. It's part of the game, what you do is tell him if he's going to fight he needs to be decisive and protect the ball.

I see nothing wrong with going over the top, but I agree, you have to protect the ball when doing so. Criticizing a guy for the manner in which he scored a touchdown and subsequently benching him is a bit odd if you ask me. It's not like our OL are blowing people off the ball in short yardage situations. Look at CMike's carry, maybe he too should have went over the top.

They never benched Murray even though he clearly had ball security issues last year, so there must be more going on behind the scenes.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The lack of running game and/or running game plan(aka abandoning run).. Leaves things up to Garrett just like prior to last season.

Demarco Murray masked Garret's hc'ing warts.

Warts are spreading.... Again.

holy cow....so here is the list of things that mask Jason Garrett so far
Romo
Dez
Murray
OL
Witten

did I leave anyone out?

warts are spreading because Williams is a limited #2, playing #1 role. Weeden sucks. and we have no depth at WR and our RBs are average so they need a balanced attack to help them and right now our offense isn't balanced. even in the atlanta game they opened with 8 in a box. we had success but soon defenses figure out the lanes and there is only so much OL can do.

it takes talent. right now this offense ain't very talented. bottom line.

btw, did Tomlin pull lighthing out of his arse with Vick? or did the pittsburgh offense just show its warts!!!?

Noryb

Reaction score
Better get a good one next year, like the one from Georgia, Ohio State, or LSU ... If they have to give up multiple draft picks then do so .
Can those backs avoid two or three defenders in the backfield? Because if they don't get the OL issues situated, that's exactly what they will be dealing with.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Big Bill Calahan brought in a young Travis Frederick an Martin and like you said Garrett got all the credit.

Wonder if Jerry is having second thoughts now....

callahan got those guys. all by himself. wow that's great that an OL coach controls drafts like that.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Two hands on the football and extending is still risky.

There's probably something within the scheme of those plays that is making Garrett say this. And seeing as how Randle nearly coughed it up on that play, I'm going to say the coaching staff is correct on this one.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So he could be stuff at the line, and in the back field, by 8 man fronts?

Then we'd have a drafted running back that everyone would be bashing because we wasted a pick on him.

It's hard to run the ball when no one is really afraid that you're going to pass the ball more than 10 yards.

If Weeden played more drives, the way he did his last drive last night, and took more shots down the field to keep the defense honest I believe this running game would be really good. As they showed in the first half against Atlanta and they showed flashes of last night.

They ran for over a hundred yards last night with the defense not being too afraid of our passing game. I do think that makes a huge difference.

isn't that similar problem to philly. their passing game ain't clicking and Chip "the genius" Kelly and his scheme ain't helping neither. it takes talent to win. our talent on offense is limited.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jerry listened to Garrett when it came to burning the bridges of Callahan, the architect of our run game... Every good decision Jerry made revolved around taking influence away from Garrett..

wow, you don't stop at anything. so now callahan is the architect of the running game. can I ask how you know this? how do you know Garrett burned bridges? isn't this the same garrett who you just called out that helped bring in linehan or marinelli..... which you are so quick to give credit to...but I am sure they came despite garrett...I guess jerry held a gun to their head because they are certainly not the highest paid coordinators in the league...

unbelievable the shiet people make up to justify their opinions.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with going over the top, but I agree, you have to protect the ball when doing so. Criticizing a guy for the manner in which he scored a touchdown and subsequently benching him is a bit odd if you ask me. It's not like our OL are blowing people off the ball in short yardage situations. Look at CMike's carry, maybe he too should have went over the top.

They never benched Murray even though he clearly had ball security issues last year, so there must be more going on behind the scenes.

Murray was never insubordinate. Murray was actually a leader on the team, not a distraction or a divider. It wasn't just the coaches who wanted to kill Randle, some of the DL were giving him the business too.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I have only seen 1 Commander game, week 2, and they looked good running, but then next week got beat bad, now they beat philly, going on long drives
the top was 41 min to 18 over philly !
so I might try to watch the eagle game, and see how they run.
I know on some plays it looked like dallas last year.
washington was #1 rushing team in 2012. they were #5 in 2013, last year they suffered because of RG3 debacle and injuries. so did callahan breath on their team a couple of years back and his breath magically made them good. fact is that washington has been running pretty well. this year Cousins has been better than RG3 was last year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's clear this staff that the OL could block for anybody.

The main problem is, the staff thought not so much that Murray was replaceable, but Callahan was replaceable...

***? didn't jerry give Murray and offer. and philly just blew everyone away with a ridiculous contract!!! so Jerry and team were smart not to strap the cap. and btw, this is the same thing people complained about when we were cap strapped. making and giving out bad deals. I am sure if murray was here and had hamstring injuries, you would be here saying why did we give him a big contract!!!!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Garrett should have never burned bridges with Callahan... Guess how the Commanders run game is doing and they also drafted a RB whose getting a lot of carries...

They also don't have a Romo at QB nor a Dez at WR..

Commanders had the #1, #5, #19 running game in the league over the past three years. its not like they all of a sudden became a running team.

Noryb

Reaction score
Murray was never insubordinate. Murray was actually a leader on the team, not a distraction or a divider. It wasn't just the coaches who wanted to kill Randle, some of the DL were giving him the business too.

Well maybe they should have gave Murray the business too, then maybe he wouldn't have fumbled in the playoffs last year.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Well maybe they should have gave Murray the business too, then maybe he wouldn't have fumbled in the playoffs last year.

Maybe they did, or would of, if Cowboys did not win so much. 12-4 is pretty good doncha think? I didn't see you complaining when Murray and Cowboys out physicaled and laid the smack down on Seattle, everyone was on the bandwagon then. And for good reason.

alohawg

Reaction score
The needs list seems to be growing with rb just being on the list at this point. We need lots of help in the secondary, there is no heir for Romo in waiting and on and on.

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
The running game has nothing to do with Demarco leaving (See Arizona game last year). The OL (same guys as last year) has played poorly against stacked boxes, what do we expect...The OL needs Tony Romo. Weeden has played alright but defenses do not respect him down the field and he cannot make the presnap adjustments Romo does on a regular basis to allow for the running game to have the most success. We are even more predictable and Weeden is not experienced enough to check us out of bad situations and make the D pay. I am really surprised many people are missing this.