READ IT The Sean Payton might one day coach the Cowboys Mega Rumor Thread

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To “make a run” at Payton he would have to go the the Saints, offer them compensation, probably significant draft picks, and ask permission to talk to Payton.
Anything is possible as long as Jerry’s fully invested in proving he was right about Dak.

Plus Jerry is playing to fans basic need of hope. Like there’s real hope as long as he’s running the show.

But I’m not sure anyone can develop a better NFL proto type offense to meet Daks skill sets. He is who he is.

Payton has had a HOF QB for how many years and has struggled to surround him most years with enough talent and has had full autonomy without a meddling Idiot.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anything is possible as long as Jerry’s fully invested in proving he was right about Dak.

Plus Jerry is playing to fans basic need of hope. Like there’s real hope as long as he’s running the show.

But I’m not sure anyone can develop a better NFL proto type offense to meet Daks skill sets. He is who he is.

Payton has had a HOF QB for how many years and has struggled to surround him most years with enough talent and has had full autonomy without a meddling Idiot.
I doubt Jerry would give up draft picks. The draft is something the Cowboys believe they do right and have to do right to manage the salary cap, they have already traded away their 1st round pick this year.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I laughed when I heard about Payton could be coming to Dallas. First thought is why would he even want to put himself in this no win situation. Jerry would want all the credit.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I doubt Jerry would give up draft picks. The draft is something the Cowboys believe they do right and have to do right to manage the salary cap, they have already traded away their 1st round pick this year.
I agree. Nothing can be done this year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I laughed when I heard about Payton could be coming to Dallas. First thought is why would he even want to put himself in this no win situation. Jerry would want all the credit.
Right

But that’s exactly why I’d be suspect in Payton coming here is if we did have success then Jerry wouldn’t receive the credit he’s been pursuing since Jimmy left.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If winning at all cost was the #1 priority Jerry could pursue any great HC but Jerry tried that with Jimmy and didn’t like it.

No, he wants to win but only his way to prove he’s not a Football Idiot.

The only way we’d see the type of change we all want is if need a new stadium or can’t fill the seats in this one.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didnt Payton and Jerry have dinner in the off season and everyone was thinking this then!
They may have, but the NFL rules don’t prohibit frendships, they just prohibit actually trying to make a deal without the current team’s permission. Obvious we can’t know what is said just between the two of them, but nothing can actually happen without the Saints permission

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
So with Drew Brees the last 2 seasons with a great running game and great defense Sean cant get it done; what do you think he is going to do with Dak a good running game and a great defense?

Im sorry folks but Cowboys fans are so illogical. Why would you want a coach that has more talent were he currently is and cant win it all? Of course all of this is click bait but still.

I agree. Payton would have to atleast kick dak to the side for a better passer in order to compete here.

Dak is not paytons taste at all.

Everybody else is good on offense but dak is the weakest link.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. Payton would have to atleast kick dak to the side for a better passer in order to compete here.

I’m not saying Payton should be anywhere in the picture for the Cowboys, but we can’t really say Dak isn’t Payton’s taste or that he wouldn’t be willing to work with the style of QB Dak is. Payton has been fortunate to have one QB his entire life as a head coach, so the truth is all we really know is he hasn’t had QBs with another style.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
No he is not. The only thing that Sean has done is win a Superbowl with arguably the greatest QB of all time....I could have done that. With that same QB he has had 3 losing records and the last 2 seasons he has had the best team in the NFC with Drew Brees and has underachieved. Oh and dont forget his SB is tainted with the suspension for bounty gate.

Meanwhile JG has been dealing Mr Glass (Romo) since he has been named HC. Life after Mr Glass has not been any better. He had to replace Mr Glass with a 4th round rookie QB and JG did pretty good. Patyon with a better QB and team did no better. Zeke misses 6 games we still have a winning record; Payton has the best team in the NFC and players were not prepared in the biggest moment of their season that same year. And we know what JG did this season and how Sean once again had the best team in the NFC and most of the players are so mentally weak that they are still blaming the refs for losing the game when really it was coaching.

You live in a world of make believe if you think Payton is a good coach.
1. Brees isnt arguably the greatest QB of all time

2. Payton actually beat one of the Greatest QBs of all time in the Super Bowl

3. No you could not have done that

4. He has been able to get his team to multiple NFC CGs while Garrett hasnt gotten us to one

5. Garrett is now the longest tenured coach in the NFL, without a Super Bowl

6. Garrett struggles with in-game adjustments which costs us over and over against superior coaches

Shall i Continue, JG?

Pants

Reaction score
Things likely to never EVER happen (choose one - rhetorically speaking)

1. Payton being the Cowboy HC
2. Rico ever having a career
3. Irving ever playing another down in the NFL
4. Bigfoot sighting
5. All of the Above

RodeoJake

Reaction score
It's been 3 years since the last Payton to take over as HC of the Cowboys rumors. It's time for them to run their course again.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Thats actually incorrect. Payton can opt out of his contract because of a similar clause Doug Marrone had in Buffalo

Before Payton signed his latest contract in 2016, they were talking that he could opt out of his ore 2016 contract because of a prior to 2016 change of ownership.

I doubt that both the ownership changed again and the contract term was included *again* with the 2016 contract. I suppose it's possible.

Do you have any post 2016 articles saying that Payton is in the same situation again?
Some current articles I've seen have mentioned that compensation to New Orleans would be required.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

Five 7-9 seasons in 12 years with Drew Brees. All historically great seasons by Drew. Who he gonna kick Dak to the curb for? A hybrid version of Brady, Brees and Rodgers? Id rather have a coach that can coach well with the talent the organization has rolled with....which we have in JG. Twice the coach of Sean.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
1. Brees isnt arguably the greatest QB of all time

2. Payton actually beat one of the Greatest QBs of all time in the Super Bowl

3. No you could not have done that

4. He has been able to get his team to multiple NFC CGs while Garrett hasnt gotten us to one

5. Garrett is now the longest tenured coach in the NFL, without a Super Bowl

6. Garrett struggles with in-game adjustments which costs us over and over against superior coaches

Shall i Continue, JG?
I didnt read anything after that.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
garrett sucks but payton is not coming to dallas why would he come here and put with the clown show

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
No head coach has ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams.

GMO415

Reaction score
He could turn this thing around 2.0