READ IT The Sean Payton might one day coach the Cowboys Mega Rumor Thread

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I'm with you on arguing that Payton isn't great but he is a upgrade over JG.

Since JG been a HC Payton is 76-52 and JG 72-56. Payton been to the play-offs 4 of the 8 years with a 4-4 record and JG has been 3 of the 8 with a 2-3 record. Again, a slight edge.

The past 3 years JG has done it with a far less QB but Payton offensive scheme has as much to do with Breese being great as anything. He was a good QB with SD but went to another level in Paytons scheme. That's why I give Payton an edge over JG. He's more creative in his offense and will run a offense that is built for Dak skill set. Where jg tries to run a old age offense with a qb with new age skills.
In reality Sean has tried to rely more on the run the last 2 seasons because after going 7-9 three seasons in a row and Brees breaking NFL QB records it kinda showed that Sean was not as smart offensively as people thought. In reality he should have fired. If he did the same thing in Dallas he would have been gone.

But to your primary point....Sean is not a huge upgrade over JG....IF at all and Im of the the opinion it would be an actual down grade.

Little Jr

Reaction score
In reality Sean has tried to rely more on the run the last 2 seasons because after going 7-9 three seasons in a row and Brees breaking NFL QB records it kinda showed that Sean was not as smart offensively as people thought. In reality he should have fired. If he did the same thing in Dallas he would have been gone.

But to your primary point....Sean is not a huge upgrade over JG....IF at all and Im of the the opinion it would be an actual down grade.
Wow lol. So he changed and went to the run more and went 11-5 and 13-3 with a nfc championship appearance and that means he's not as smart offensively ? I would argue that it shows he's smart and is willing to change with the talent he has. He uses the talent he has on the field. He doesn't try ti make the talent fit into a set scheme/philosophy. That's smart coaching.

As far as him being gone if he did that in Dallas, lmao what makes you think that?

I never said he was a huge upgrade. I said slight so that was not my primary point.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Wow lol. So he changed and went to the run more and went 11-5 and 13-3 with a nfc championship appearance and that means he's not as smart offensively ? I would argue that it shows he's smart and is willing to change with the talent he has. He uses the talent he has on the field. He doesn't try ti make the talent fit into a set scheme/philosophy. That's smart coaching.

As far as him being gone if he did that in Dallas, lmao what makes you think that?

I never said he was a huge upgrade. I said slight so that was not my primary point.
Only took him Three back to back 7-9 seasons to figure it out. I'm sorry I think he was desperate and had a threat to change something or they would.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Only took him Three back to back 7-9 seasons to figure it out. I'm sorry I think he was desperate and had a threat to change something or they would.
Lol it only took 3 years for the FO to figure it out and pull play calling away from JG.

The 3 7-9 seasons they were no worst than 20 in rush attempts. Not like they were not running at all. On the other hand, JG finished 31st at rush attempts 2 years and 24 another and they pulled play calling away from him.

And I asked what would Dallas do if he had been here and did that for 3 years? Not what NO would do. You said he'd been gone if he did that in Dallas. History shows he wouldn't have been gone. At most he would have play calling taken away from him. I would argue with a super bowl in his pocket, play calling wouldn't have even been pulled from him in Dallas.

I agree some what and think he had to change because changes might have been made by the FO . That's not the case in Dallas and that's a sad thing. Our HC can have play calling taken from him, 3 straight 8-8 seasons, 3 different OCs, 3 different DCs, multiple position couch changes , 3 playoff appearances in 8 years, 2 playoff wins and he still has a job and probably getting an extension soon. Lol

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Lol it only took 3 years for the FO to figure it out and pull play calling away from JG.

The 3 7-9 seasons they were no worst than 20 in rush attempts. Not like they were not running at all. On the other hand, JG finished 31st at rush attempts 2 years and 24 another and they pulled play calling away from him.

And I asked what would Dallas do if he had been here and did that for 3 years? Not what NO would do. You said he'd been gone if he did that in Dallas. History shows he wouldn't have been gone. At most he would have play calling taken away from him. I would argue with a super bowl in his pocket, play calling wouldn't have even been pulled from him in Dallas.

I agree some what and think he had to change because changes might have been made by the FO . That's not the case in Dallas and that's a sad thing. Our HC can have play calling taken from him, 3 straight 8-8 seasons, 3 different OCs, 3 different DCs, multiple position couch changes , 3 playoff appearances in 8 years, 2 playoff wins and he still has a job and probably getting an extension soon. Lol
JG should have never been pulled from play calling IMO.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

How does Brees breaking all sorts of offensive records show Payton is not all that smart offensively?

Reaction score
You can believe what you want. Five 7-9 seasons with one of the greatest QBs in the history of the game. Only one Superbowl with said QB. The question is what has he done to make you believe he can do more with less in Dallas? Even if the media has you and you think he is truly better than JG. What has he done to make you believe that he could have lost Tony and went 13-3 with a rookie Dak.....he could have lost his best player Zeke for 6 games and went 9-7....lost his #1 WR and All time great TE and turned around a 3-5 season into a playoff birth? ALL the facts suggest the exact opposite and that is despite him never having to play with out Brees.
Sorry.

Anybody who thinks Jason Garrett is a better coach than Sean Payton has zero credibility.

None.

Little Jr

Reaction score
JG should have never been pulled from play calling IMO.
Lol so... jg shouldn't have ever been pulled from play calling after being 24,31 and 31 in rushing attempts, but Payton changed after being 18,19 and 20 in attempts and he did so because changes were going to be made if he didn't? And if he would have been in Dallas he would've been gone for that but JG shouldn't have had play calling pulled from him for being worst?

Your beginning to sound like idgit in your defense of jg.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
What exactly has Payton done to make you believe that he can do more with less talent? If he cant do it with Brees with a great RB and a great defense....what has he done to make you think he can do it with Dak with a great RB and a great defense? Payton would be a down grade.

How has Garrett convinced you to think he's a better choice than Payton? What has he done? What has he accomplished? Did Garrett come from a good coaching tree like Payton? No.

I personally think coaching matters much more than you do. Had Bellycheck or Payton coached the current roster this season I guarantee they would have gotten more out of them. Maybe not a super bowl, but I highly doubt they start the season 3-5.

Dak has crap for a staff trying to teach him how to be an NFL QB. Did Moore ever play a single down outside of pre season? Then how is he qualified to be a QB coach after 2 or 3 seasons on the bench? Garrett was a career backup as well, and went from a QB coach to a HC position in 2 years. What did he do to deserve it? Nothing.

Payton has the experience and skins on the wall to prove he knows what he's doing. Garrett still stumbles round like the training wheels are still firmly attached. I know I can't make you change your mind and I will never try. I have my own opinions, and that's all it is.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Lol so... jg shouldn't have ever been pulled from play calling after being 24,31 and 31 in rushing attempts, but Payton changed after being 18,19 and 20 in attempts and he did so because changes were going to be made if he didn't? And if he would have been in Dallas he would've been gone for that but JG shouldn't have had play calling pulled from him for being worst?

Your beginning to sound like idgit in your defense of jg.
We had revamped or entire OL because they were over paid and pass their prime

ItzKelz

Reaction score
How has Garrett convinced you to think he's a better choice than Payton? What has he done? What has he accomplished? Did Garrett come from a good coaching tree like Payton? No.

I personally think coaching matters much more than you do. Had Bellycheck or Payton coached the current roster this season I guarantee they would have gotten more out of them. Maybe not a super bowl, but I highly doubt they start the season 3-5.

Dak has crap for a staff trying to teach him how to be an NFL QB. Did Moore ever play a single down outside of pre season? Then how is he qualified to be a QB coach after 2 or 3 seasons on the bench? Garrett was a career backup as well, and went from a QB coach to a HC position in 2 years. What did he do to deserve it? Nothing.

Payton has the experience and skins on the wall to prove he knows what he's doing. Garrett still stumbles round like the training wheels are still firmly attached. I know I can't make you change your mind and I will never try. I have my own opinions, and that's all it is.
What has Payton done to convince me he is a better option than JG..... nothing.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So with Drew Brees the last 2 seasons with a great running game and great defense Sean cant get it done; what do you think he is going to do with Dak a good running game and a great defense?

Im sorry folks but Cowboys fans are so illogical. Why would you want a coach that has more talent were he currently is and cant win it all? Of course all of this is click bait but still.

Right, What makes many think he has more talent there than here?
Just because they made it a game further than we did.
Well actually not.
We are the same 1-1 in the playoffs this year.

However I still prefer Payton, if not for anything else, just a fresh start instead of the same 8 year process.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
What has Payton done to convince me he is a better option than JG..... nothing.

Again, just an opinion. I think you would see improvement across the board the first year Payton was on staff. You don't agree, and thats fine...