The Video Game Thread

JayFord

Reaction score
SteamDeck sounds good on paper, but it, too, will be swallowed by the Switch and its insatiable hunger. I’m already reading how some major titles don’t work in it because the anti cheat for the online don’t run on the Linux operating system. And how the low end models are surprisingly weak/slow with limited storage.

The Vita was a damn good system, and the money printing machine that was the 3DS was not phased in the least. If that couldn’t make a dent, I really don’t know what will.

i have to buy a vita sometime soon because the thought of an uncharted game that i havent played angers me and i want uncharted golden abyss

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Pre-ordered the 256GB version to play on my TV in the bedroom.

Funny story, so I play video games in the evenings on occasion. My Wife hates them but she playes games on her IPad etc. So I don't get it but she hates them. I do not have a gaming console in the house, nor do I play PC mode in the house. I have a man cave, which is really a finished garage with a bathroom, etc, where I play because I can't do it in the house. So my swamp cooler has been down for about two weeks now. Looking back, I should have just bought a whole damn new unit but I didn't. First the pump. Then the belt. Then the set screw that holds the bracket that holds the motor broke off so I had to drill it out and then rethread it. Now, bearings went bad so I have to replace those and that Son of a Gun was locked on there. So angel grinder and a screw driver and hammer was how I cut it off because it wasn't coming any other way. So now, hopefully, nothing else goes wrong. I need to put on new bearing and housing and hopefully, that's it! Maybe can get to it this afternoon if my day gets a little better and I can actually play some video games!

Haha!

BTW, good to see you posting Duane!

Duane

Reaction score
Funny story, so I play video games in the evenings on occasion. My Wife hates them but she playes games on her IPad etc. So I don't get it but she hates them. I do not have a gaming console in the house, nor do I play PC mode in the house. I have a man cave, which is really a finished garage with a bathroom, etc, where I play because I can't do it in the house. So my swamp cooler has been down for about two weeks now. Looking back, I should have just bought a whole damn new unit but I didn't. First the pump. Then the belt. Then the set screw that holds the bracket that holds the motor broke off so I had to drill it out and then rethread it. Now, bearings went bad so I have to replace those and that Son of a Gun was locked on there. So angel grinder and a screw driver and hammer was how I cut it off because it wasn't coming any other way. So now, hopefully, nothing else goes wrong. I need to put on new bearing and housing and hopefully, that's it! Maybe can get to it this afternoon if my day gets a little better and I can actually play some video games!

Haha!

BTW, good to see you posting Duane!
I really liked that story and thanks for remembering me.

The older I've gotten the less the wins, losses, and off-season seem to matter. So I enjoy reading the Zone on occasion but it doesn't drive my life like it did a decade or two ago.

Hope you and the family are doing well.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I really liked that story and thanks for remembering me.

The older I've gotten the less the wins, losses, and off-season seem to matter. So I enjoy reading the Zone on occasion but it doesn't drive my life like it did a decade or two ago.

Hope you and the family are doing well.

Of course and I understand. Sometimes life changes things and that's OK. Either way, good to see you Brother. Everybody is good, I've got 3 married kids now, another one will be married in the space of a year, I'm guessing, that is if she doesn't run him off. Got 6 Grandkids now and they keep me busy. But not to busy so that I can't give a call out to a good person, such as yourself Duane.

:thumbup:

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
I was able to snag my Skyward Sword Joy Cons because of the preorder and gladly because these bad boys are tough to get. They are amazing and really beautiful. Solid with the supposed update compared to the first joycons (granted I haven't played my Switch in like 2 years). So glad to get back into it.

Also grabbed a new set of wireless headphones, the Steel Arctis 7x. They were designed for the Series X but work for all consoles and even PC. Highly recommend. Even the Switch sounds great with these.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Welp, A new King has emerged in terms of the greatest console graphics of all-time. Microsoft Flight Simulator is an absolute behemoth and WOWZERS at some of the add ons and DLC stuff. My goodness...I don't care if you think simulating flying a plane is boring, this game is truly worthy of the experience. It is magical.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Welp, A new King has emerged in terms of the greatest console graphics of all-time. Microsoft Flight Simulator is an absolute behemoth and WOWZERS at some of the add ons and DLC stuff. My goodness...I don't care if you think simulating flying a plane is boring, this game is truly worthy of the experience. It is magical.

Never got into Flight Sims but they always seemed interesting. Tough learning curve?

SlammedZero

Reaction score

Finally got it all downloaded tonight and just took a few test flights. Wow! Absolutely insane. It's nighttime where I live currently, so naturally, flying out of my home city it was also nighttime. The airport and city below are unbelievably remarkable though. I was flying over my city spotting places I know and even flew over my neighborhood! It's crazy. I noticed not all the 3D buildings are accurate but I understand that. That would be an insane amount of data collection and storage for them to get all the buildings around the world accurate. Still, the maps are spot on. I was even surprised to see traffic on the streets below. I can't wait to fly around in the daytime tomorrow.

Never got into Flight Sims but they always seemed interesting. Tough learning curve?

While I'm sure the flying could get pretty technical under the desired settings, right out of the gate, it's setup to be pretty easy. I flew a Cessna around and it was easy enough to take-off, fly around, and not worry about crashing. You can have a cockpit view or a follow view. I tried a Learjet type plane on my last flight of the night. It was a bit different during take-off but wasn't bad in the air.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Finally got it all downloaded tonight and just took a few test flights. Wow! Absolutely insane. It's nighttime where I live currently, so naturally, flying out of my home city it was also nighttime. The airport and city below are unbelievably remarkable though. I was flying over my city spotting places I know and even flew over my neighborhood! It's crazy. I noticed not all the 3D buildings are accurate but I understand that. That would be an insane amount of data collection and storage for them to get all the buildings around the world accurate. Still, the maps are spot on. I was even surprised to see traffic on the streets below. I can't wait to fly around in the daytime tomorrow.

While I'm sure the flying could get pretty technical under the desired settings, right out of the gate, it's setup to be pretty easy. I flew a Cessna around and it was easy enough to take-off, fly around, and not worry about crashing. You can have a cockpit view or a follow view. I tried a Learjet type plane on my last flight of the night. It was a bit different during take-off but wasn't bad in the air.

Haha I think we all did the same with our hometowns. I tried to skip the tutorial a bit and fly from Albuquerque to Tokyo. Not recommended. It's unbelievable when you realize the scope of this game. Someone recommended a drug smugglers DLC lol. We are getting the Top Gun Maverick DLC soon, so flying an F-16 down The Nile or a Blackbird over The villages of Africa with these graphics will be mind blowing.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

What? That's weirdly cool tbh about seeing your city...I'm going to fly up on some spots and flex right quick :) That's impressive, I was thinking more EU, Africa, not DC and Boise well maybe the more generic stuff but not neighborhoods that's insane. Feels like that google maps car a bit.

Last edited:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

I presume{?} you are playing it on a controller? And not a flight stick?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I presume{?} you are playing it on a controller? And not a flight stick?

I am just using a controller right now. It works, though, I can definitely see using a joystick/keyboard setup being a bit more smooth to use. Especially if you like to actually tinker with all the buttons/controls in the cockpit. You can do all that with the controller, it just takes a few extra steps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I flew from Portland, Oregon to Seattle, Washington last night. About a 50 minute flight. You fly in "real time" so it took me about that long to fly it. Was fantastic flying into Seattle at night. I will say though, I have to practice on my landing skills. haha I can see myself really enjoying this game. It's fun to fly around and check things out or pretend like you're a real pilot! :D

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Paging @CyberB0b he's an actual pilot and likes to game. He may have played it and would be cool to hear his take if he's played it too esp regarding a learning curve from a real pilot...it does almost look intimidating tbh

I downloaded it but haven't played it. I played the older versions on PC. The cool thing is that you can make it as real as you want.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
I am just using a controller right now. It works, though, I can definitely see using a joystick/keyboard setup being a bit more smooth to use. Especially if you like to actually tinker with all the buttons/controls in the cockpit. You can do all that with the controller, it just takes a few extra steps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I flew from Portland, Oregon to Seattle, Washington last night. About a 50 minute flight. You fly in "real time" so it took me about that long to fly it. Was fantastic flying into Seattle at night. I will say though, I have to practice on my landing skills. haha I can see myself really enjoying this game. It's fun to fly around and check things out or pretend like you're a real pilot! :D

This is one of the best gaming experiences I've experienced. It's pretty incredible really. I can't wait to fly over Las Vegas and Area 51 at night later tonight.

This is a trip! They need to make a UAP/UFO flight Simulator lol. You can pick your craft like Saucers/Floating Pyramids/Tic Tacs etc..haha all kidding aside I'm blown away by it.