The Walking Dead-Season 9, Episodes 1-8

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sorta. it was her last show also. since 6 years have passed, she just won't be in any show the rest of this season. they'll talk about her leaving and why i suppose, but she's already gone. kinda a crappy way to get written out for such a strong character.

Over the last couple episodes it has been mentioned that "Georgia" (remember the gal looking for record albums) had been inviting Maggie to visit her community through an exchange of letters.

Maggie takes her up on that during the latest time-jump.

She could be back for a limited number of episodes in season 10.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder how many of them just binge watch on Netflix now when the season is released.

There's probably some of that.

What I think happened is the show attracted a lot of "mainstreamers" during seasons 2, 3, & 4.

And while they weren't zombie-fans they appreciated good TV. And the show was good.

But with the weakening of the writing after the group arrived at Alexandria combined with the over the top violence involving Negan, i.e. the killings of Abraham & Glenn, mainstreamers dropped off by the bushel basket.

And now with the Rick & Maggie gone, I expect more will follow suit.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"The Whisperers" are a group of bad-arses that wear the skins of the dead (think of "Leather Face" from "Texas Chainsaw") in order to move freely amongst the dead.

And yes, by doing that they can control the movements of the herds... Unleashing a herd upon an enemy if needed.

Gotcha! Thanks for the info. That makes sense now.

DanteEXT

Reaction score

What I think happened is the show attracted a lot of "mainstreamers" during seasons 2, 3, & 4.

And while they weren't zombie-fans they appreciated good TV. And the show was good.

But with the weakening of the writing after the group arrived at Alexandria combined with the over the top violence involving Negan, i.e. the killings of Abraham & Glenn, mainstreamers dropped off by the bushel basket.

Oh I'm sure the story and violence turned off a lot of people. Probably a few people left for whatever the new shiny thing was.

I almost became one of the binge watchers this season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think it had more to do with how drawn out "The War' was. They took what should have taken two months and stretched it out into what felt like two years. I was on the brink of "walking" myself.

And then they went from that ridiculously slow-paced thing to "the war" ending in seconds when the guns exploded. That was just awful and had "Gimple" written all over it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it had more to do with how drawn out "The War' was. They took what should have taken two months and stretched it out into what felt like two years. I was on the brink of "walking" myself.

And then they went from that ridiculously slow-paced thing to "the war" ending in seconds when the guns exploded. That was just awful and had "Gimple" written all over it.

You could even say it was 2 1/2 seasons because we started getting Negan mentions in the last half of season 6.

Yep, it was way too long. Made the stay on Herschel farm (which many complained about) seem like a 30 second commercial.

And yeah, I was stunned when the battle was over just like that... I kept thinking, "Is that it?"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You could even say it was 2 1/2 seasons because we started getting Negan mentions in the last half of season 6.

Yep, it was way too long. Made the stay on Herschel farm (which many complained about) seem like a 30 second commercial.

And yeah, I was stunned when the battle was over just like that... I kept thinking, "Is that it?"

Worst.

Pacing.

Ever.

latest

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Worst.

Pacing.

Ever.

latest

It was too.

You compare the length of the stories in the graphic novel, "Governor" and "Negan" and appears that it was shear gluttony on the producers over the show to milk the Negan store for far longer than it needed to be, focusing on characters no one cared out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was too.

You compare the length of the stories in the graphic novel, "Governor" and "Negan" and appears that it was shear gluttony on the producers over the show to milk the Negan store for far longer than it needed to be, focusing on characters no one cared out.

And that's why it pales in comparison.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And that's why it pales in comparison.

I agree.

That's part of the reason the show picked up loads of new viewers during seasons 3 & 4, peaking with premier of season 5 (escape from Terminus).

For the life of me I still can't figure out why the Terminus arc ended so quickly while the Negan arc went on & on & on.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I agree.

That's part of the reason the show picked up loads of new viewers during seasons 3 & 4, peaking with premier of season 5 (escape from Terminus).

For the life of me I still can't figure out why the Terminus arc ended so quickly while the Negan arc went on & on & on.
They spent longer with Michonne figuring out how messed up Woodbury was than they did in Terminus.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Before I get too deep into what I really want to say about all this let me say this. That scene of Daryl crying and then Walking off, defeated and crushed, as it faded to black....amazing. Absolutely amazing way to end that shot. I loved it.

Rick went out (sort of) like a beast. Blowing up the bridge. Wow. Fantastic. Amazing job.

Alright I gotta say....bravo. I will admit it they did a great job of finding some way to keep me from turning this show off forever after Rick was gone.

I had pretty much gone into last weekends show believing it was going to be the last TWD show I was ever going to watch. With them pissing me off with the killing of Carl last year (Which I don't care what Lincoln, or the show runners, have said or the picture they've tried to paint for why Lincoln is leaving, I fully believe the killing of Carl was the final straw for Lincoln in the bad show running and he had enough.) to this year Lincoln leaving the show, and the idea out there being that Rick would be killed off I figured this would be the end for me.

They had nothing on the show, going forward, that interested me in the slightest way. Then the finale happened. Rick lived. What? Wow. So he could (And I believe will, once again I don't care what they're saying now) be brought back later to finish off the show. That was nice.

Then seeing the preview for the rest of the season, the huge time skip, and now we get to see Judith taking on the comic role of Carl...yeah. I'm in. Now I want to see where they go. How they cope without Rick. What is going to happen.

I also look forward to the use of Negan to aid them against the Whispers. Which I 100% fully believe that he will do. I'm also curious how far out of touch with humanity, the group, etc that Daryl is now. It's obvious from the trailers that he now lives out on his own. He's clearly removed himself from the group. The pain of losing his brother figure being way to much for him to deal with.

I also look forward to the movies that will be done with the Rick character but I do have to say they're going to have to come up with a very convincing, and promising, story for the three to show how, and why, Rick has never found his way back to his people over these six years (And beyond, however much further into the future the shows go). It's not like with Lori and Carl in the beginning where he's having to look around, aimlessly because he doesn't know where they are. He knows exactly where his people are now. So it's going to take some great story telling here to make it believable as to why Rick hasn't, can't, or whatever find his way back to them.

And I seriously hope it's not something as lame as he's lost his memory or he's been in a coma all this time. Those would be two very lazy and terrible ideas.

Either way they've kept my interest. They've kept me from leaving the show when I was 100% certain I was going to be done with his 'death'. Good job on their part.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Before I get too deep into what I really want to say about all this let me say this. That scene of Daryl crying and then Walking off, defeated and crushed, as it faded to black....amazing. Absolutely amazing way to end that shot. I loved it.

Rick went out (sort of) like a beast. Blowing up the bridge. Wow. Fantastic. Amazing job.

Alright I gotta say....bravo. I will admit it they did a great job of finding some way to keep me from turning this show off forever after Rick was gone.

I had pretty much gone into last weekends show believing it was going to be the last TWD show I was ever going to watch. With them pissing me off with the killing of Carl last year (Which I don't care what Lincoln, or the show runners, have said or the picture they've tried to paint for why Lincoln is leaving, I fully believe the killing of Carl was the final straw for Lincoln in the bad show running and he had enough.) to this year Lincoln leaving the show, and the idea out there being that Rick would be killed off I figured this would be the end for me.

They had nothing on the show, going forward, that interested me in the slightest way. Then the finale happened. Rick lived. What? Wow. So he could (And I believe will, once again I don't care what they're saying now) be brought back later to finish off the show. That was nice.

Then seeing the preview for the rest of the season, the huge time skip, and now we get to see Judith taking on the comic role of Carl...yeah. I'm in. Now I want to see where they go. How they cope without Rick. What is going to happen.

I also look forward to the use of Negan to aid them against the Whispers. Which I 100% fully believe that he will do. I'm also curious how far out of touch with humanity, the group, etc that Daryl is now. It's obvious from the trailers that he now lives out on his own. He's clearly removed himself from the group. The pain of losing his brother figure being way to much for him to deal with.

I also look forward to the movies that will be done with the Rick character but I do have to say they're going to have to come up with a very convincing, and promising, story for the three to show how, and why, Rick has never found his way back to his people over these six years (And beyond, however much further into the future the shows go). It's not like with Lori and Carl in the beginning where he's having to look around, aimlessly because he doesn't know where they are. He knows exactly where his people are now. So it's going to take some great story telling here to make it believable as to why Rick hasn't, can't, or whatever find his way back to them.

And I seriously hope it's not something as lame as he's lost his memory or he's been in a coma all this time. Those would be two very lazy and terrible ideas.

Either way they've kept my interest. They've kept me from leaving the show when I was 100% certain I was going to be done with his 'death'. Good job on their part.

Actually according to Lincoln he was ready to leave last year but did not think it was fair to the show, and fans, to lose Carl and Rick in the same season. The producers and writers did not choose to kill off Carl, Riggs wanted to leave the show. I'd much rather see them kill him with meaning than do the dumpster BS like they did with Glenn, or replace the actor and keep Carl in the show.

rynochop

Reaction score
Actually according to Lincoln he was ready to leave last year but did not think it was fair to the show, and fans, to lose Carl and Rick in the same season. The producers and writers did not choose to kill off Carl, Riggs wanted to leave the show. I'd much rather see them kill him with meaning than do the dumpster BS like they did with Glenn, or replace the actor and keep Carl in the show.
Riggs dad posted on social media a peeved off message about them firing him

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score

I've seen multiple interviews with Riggs that disputes this narrative that he wanted to leave the show. I've seen interviews where he's said the exact opposite and that he was shocked when they told him they were killing him off the show.

As far as what Lincoln says, I'm sorry I just don't buy any of it. I don't buy the wanting to spend more time with family or any of that stuff, especially now that I see that he is leaving the show to film movies of the character anyway.

To each their own on that. Many will believe it whole completely that what has been said are the reasons. That is fair and I have no issues with that. I simply do no believe it.