The Weeden or What if Tebow or Johnny Football (or any other QB out there) mega thread *merged*

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They seen Weeden all throughout camp and many days at practice through out the year since they have been letting Tony rest.

I am pretty sure they knew what Weeden has and does not have.

So again I ask...The trade deadline just passed, why wait until it opens again?

Because you can't make a trade till then?

Look, you saw a Weeden who was forced into action against the skins, didn't have time to think, and a Weeden who had a whole week to think about the start, which one is real.
I'm also sure he, like many others, looks good in practice. The cowboys along with Dez and everybody else likely had no idea he would look so bad in the game. Now they do....too late.

joseephuss

Reaction score
You could have fined the mess out of him until he came in but then you'd have forced him here. So the next question is do you want to have a QB out there...at the end of his career...who didn't want to play for you, was pissed off at the club for taking his dream away to start in the NFL, and who might sabotage you consciously or unconsciously?

I guess the answer was no.

That would be my answer. I think Orton is a good backup QB, but if he is questioning his position and role on the team, that ain't a good thing. Especially in the manner in which he did it. I don't care if Dallas did or did not fine him or lost money on him. That is the business. Teams make or lose money all the time. It's not my money. I cared about whether Orton wanted to stay in Dallas. He didn't want to do so. Fining him wasn't going to change that and perhaps could have made things worse. I wouldn't trust his commitment if the Cowboys forced him to stay around. Sometimes you have to move forward even if you lose a good player. He wasn't a good QB, but he was a good backup QB.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wouldn't Jerry Jones be making noise about eventually trading for Johnny Manziel? He would not need to wait until the trading period to do that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, no one is making excuses or ignoring what has happened. The only one ignoring things is you. You ignore the fact that Orton didn't want to be in Dallas. That is the most important fact about this. What was your solution for keeping Orton on the team? Why would you do so? If the guy is a malcontent as you say, then what would be the point of keeping him around?

This might be too much for you, but maybe to force the guy to fulfill his contract? Or force him to pay back money he didn't earn and wasn't entitled to and put that money to better use?

Any would be better than the nothing that the Cowboys did.

He would either fulfill his deal and we would have a capable backup quarterback (which we now don't), or we would have $3 million in cap relief (which we also don't).

You take your pick!

joseephuss

Reaction score
This might be too much for you, but maybe to force the guy to fulfill his contract? Or force him to pay back money he didn't earn and wasn't entitled to and put that money to better use?

He would either fulfill his deal and we would have a capable backup quarterback (which we now don't), or we would have $3 million in cap relief (which we also don't).

You take your pick!

There is no guarantee they could have forced him to fulfill his contract. So you want to keep a guy around who is a malcontent( your words). A team would be idiotic to keep a malcontent around.

What if they had #3 million in cap relief? So what? There weren't at the time and still aren't any great backup QBs just sitting out there that Dallas could have brought with that extra money.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
lmao. Name the sport. Contracts mean squat to professional athletes if they are disgruntled. Kyle Orton would have either retired or intentionally played at a subpar or crap level. At least when Brandon Weeden plays like crap, he's honest about it.

:laugh:

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
lmao. Name the sport. Contracts mean squat to professional athletes if they are disgruntled. Kyle Orton would have either retired or intentionally played at a subpar or crap level. At least when Brandon Weeden plays like crap, he's honest about it.

:lmao2: Although it makes me want to cry, it's true.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Then we disagree. Jason isn't going to let Jerry screw his life up IMO. Jason has built something here and IMO won't let JJ screw it up.

Every one around the world knows what Jerry is. Jason not having that much pull surprises no one.
It wouldn't ruin his life. Every one knows who he's dealing with.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Me too but that kind of guy comes once every 20 years or so, and you probably need a #1 pick to get a guy like that which I don´t see that happening anytime soon, you´ve got to get lucky like NE, GB, Sea, Dallas, Pittsburgh etc. that´s why this fan base should appreciate even more who we have as a QB right now.

Saying that, if something were to happen to Romo, I wouldn´t mind trading a draft pick for Manziel, not a first but maybe a third or something.

If we do trade for Manziel, it's likely to be a third-round pick with conditions. Say, if the Cowboys finish first in the division (in 2015), then it bumps to a second=round pick. If they get to the Super Bowl, then a first-round pick. I don't think Johnny's value is going to rise to the level of a first-round pick because he's sitting on the bench. The only way a team gives up a first-round pick for him, IMO, is if that team is in the conference championship game or the Super Bowl.

Reactions: Coy

joseephuss

Reaction score
If we do trade for Manziel, it's likely to be a third-round pick with conditions. Say, if the Cowboys finish first in the division (in 2015), then it bumps to a second=round pick. If they get to the Super Bowl, then a first-round pick. I don't think Johnny's value is going to rise to the level of a first-round pick because he's sitting on the bench. The only way a team gives up a first-round pick for him, IMO, is if that team is in the conference championship game or the Super Bowl.

Would those conditions make sense if Dallas got Manziel, he doesn't play a down and Dallas wins the division or better?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no guarantee they could have forced him to fulfill his contract.

Actually, there is. $3 million dollars in bonus money that he either earns or returns.

So you want to keep a guy around who is a malcontent( your words). A team would be idiotic to keep a malcontent around.

Eithe do your job, or pay back what you owe. It's not that hard to understand.

What if they had #3 million in cap relief? So what? There weren't at the time and still aren't any great backup QBs just sitting out there that Dallas could have brought with that extra money.

Who said they had to use that money on only a quarterback? Pretty narrow thinking.

They could use that money any way they wanted, maybe towards an extension for a deserving player?

The fact is that they blew it and you can't wiggle them out of it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Actually, there is. $3 million dollars in bonus money that he either earns or returns.

Eithe do your job, or pay back what you owe. It's not that hard to understand.

Who said they had to use that money on only a quarterback? Pretty narrow thinking.

They could use that money any way they wanted, maybe towards an extension for a deserving player?

The fact is that they blew it and you can't wiggle them out of it.

Who is trying to wiggle them out of it? No one. You are just making up stuff. You should just go back to ruing over Dallas not signing Matt Jones.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Every one around the world knows what Jerry is. Jason not having that much pull surprises no one.
It wouldn't ruin his life. Every one knows who he's dealing with.

Appears to me things have changed. Now you can credit JJ, Stephen, Jason or Will McClay; or maybe a combination of them. I'm not certain why people don't give the HCs here some credit for influencing the club as they normally would elsewhere.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who is trying to wiggle them out of it? No one. You are just making up stuff. You should just go back to ruing over Dallas not signing Matt Jones.

Nice try.

But that move still looks better than the Roy Williams debacle the team actually went with.

You'll have to try harder.

:facepalm:

joseephuss

Reaction score
Nice try.

But that move still looks better than the Roy Williams debacle the team actually went with.

You'll have to try harder.

:facepalm:

Right. A druggie thug who has been out of the league since 2008 with no sniffs from any team was a better option than Roy Williams. You want him on the team catching passes from malcontent Orton. Great team chemistry. Who else you want on this team? Rae Carruth?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Look, you saw a Weeden who was forced into action against the skins, didn't have time to think, and a Weeden who had a whole week to think about the start, which one is real.
I'm also sure he, like many others, looks good in practice. The cowboys along with Dez and everybody else likely had no idea he would look so bad in the game. Now they do....too late.

I just saw your sig line.

That explains the lunacy

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

You take your pick!

It's fair to say it didn't work out well for the Cowboys. But it may have worked out better for them to lose money than to keep a disgruntled employee. So see ya, wouldn't want to be ya Mr. Orton.

You want a good outcome for Dallas when one wasn't likely available. Then you want to grouse about it being a bad FO because of it. Some of us reject that as unreasonable.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Reading comprehension coog. Note that I said Cleveland is happy with where they are at. Notice how I said Hoyer will lead them to mediocrity. It isn't that hard to understand is it? Read.

Since when is six and three and first place in your division "mediocre"? And for that matter, what possible reason is there to think that Jonathan Pigskin would have led them to more wins at this point?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right. A druggie thug who has been out of the league since 2008 with no sniffs from any team was a better option than Roy Williams.

Yeah, as opposed to giving up a 1st, 3rd and 6th in what is often called the worst trade in Cowboys history.

Yes, yes I do.

You want him on the team catching passes from malcontent Orton. Great team chemistry. Who else you want on this team? Rae Carruth?

This is pathetic. Care to jump in the Delorean with Doc and Marty even further and dig up any other names from 6 years ago to again try and fail to excuse mistakes from this year?