The Weeden or What if Tebow or Johnny Football (or any other QB out there) mega thread *merged*

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Orton didn't want to be in Dallas. He would have been horrible here because he didn't want to be here. Dallas didn't mishandle anything. You can't force a player to stick around and you can't trust a guy who doesn't want to be on the team and accept the backup role. He wanted a chance to start and he wasn't going to get it with the Cowboys. If he had a good attitude and accepted his role he would have been a good backup in Dallas, but he didn't. Letting him walk was the right choice.

Sanchez and McCoy are the same poor options as Weeden. You would be complaining about both of them if they were here. There is no difference between the three guys except for the price tag.

Why didn't Orton want to be in Dallas?

Reaction score
Not interested. I don't want the endless QB controveries that would come along with Manziel.

Frozen700

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing.

With Hoyer playing well and the Browns winning, he could be in line to get a multi-year deal.

If that happens, the Browns would then look to possibly trade Manziel. And if he should become available, you can't help but think that Jerry Jones and the Cowboys would be interested.

Especially due to recent events in Dallas, with Romo getting hurt (and conceivably being one hit away from getting hurt again), and Weeden showing to be incapable of getting the job done in relief.

I hope we get him. Romo and his back are getting annoying.

Frozen700

Reaction score
I expect Hoyer will get a contract from Cleveland. Given how many QB Cleveland has gone through and now they have a QB who is producing and helping them win games they would be foolish to let him go.

I think Hoyer said he does not want to sign with Manziel behind him. So getting rid of Manziel looks possible.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not that he can't "beat out" Hoyer for the job. Cleveland is pulling a typical Cleveland. They are EXTREMELY HAPPY with their current record and do not want to upset the apple cart. Hoyer is a hometown boy that is very popular. Mike Pettine and the GM are very inexperienced and don't know what they have in JFF. IMO they would have won two more games with Johnny on the field, however that is a risk they aren't willing to take. They will be ecstatic being a middle of the road team - which is light years better than they have been historically, and Hoyer will deliver them to their version of The Promised Land. I'm glad Johnny isn't playing yet. Learning from the bench is way underrated IMO. If we get him, GREAT. IF we don't, we'll get someone else. Bottom line is we NEED someone really soon because Romo appears to be barely hanging in there.

You could argue that they could have won two more with JFF starting...I could just as easily argue that they would have lost FOUR more if he started.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Hoyer said he does not want to sign with Manziel behind him. So getting rid of Manziel looks possible.

I had not heard that, I know if Cleveland offers him a good contract he will likely take it.

weaver21

Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but I would not give up any kind of picks for someone who will be on the bench. I'd rather just draft a quarterback rather than trade for a damn backup quarterback. I understand people are worried about Romo's back injuries and feel he will done soon, but if we trade for Manziel and Romo ends up being healthy and plays for several more years, we'd have thrown away draft picks for Manziel to sit on the bench, just like he's doing in Cleveland.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If Kitna is in shape he is the best option.

I just can't get over how bad Weeden is.

I guess that's what happens when you're an ok at best player with a coach that doesn't coach to a players strengths or weaknesses.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Neither

Orton was on the team, we paid him and let him walk. Many of us argued this was mishandled when that was happening

Sanchez, McCoy etc were available

This FO has a history of poor decisions, nothing new

I wonder if you were rueing butt fumble Sanchez before the season or was this a simple knee jerk for a guy who lit it up by throwing two td's and two picks last week?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, there was a report about it, 3 weeks ago I believe. You are right though, money talks.

I think the hard part is his value, I can't see them giving Hoyer top franchise QB money. I think they likely will offer up Andy Dalton type contract which is in the top 15

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I wonder if you were rueing butt fumble Sanchez before the season or was this a simple knee jerk for a guy who lit it up by throwing two td's and two picks last week?

He is mostly negative about everything so when something negative happens he's one of the first with the ITYS threads/posts. The task would be to find something he positively predicted then rarer still would be a mea culpa when he was wrong about a positive prediction.

I don't think Sanchez is much to crow about but infrequently a backup/castoff blossoms into a decent or better QB. If Sanchez does that then good for him although I'd rather have him to it on an AFC team and esp NOT the Eagles.

Weeden had to play in a tough game. We'd just been exposed by the Skins and the game plan on how to beat the Cowboys was out there for all to see. And AZ is a very good team esp defensively. So we really need to see the guy play in a few games until we write him off. Any NFL QB including HOFers have bad days including one Tony Romo.

Having said that I don't think Weeden is much either but I hope I'm wrong. Maybe we won't have to see him play which is what every team generally hopes happen with their backups.