Theory: good but not great

Flamma

Reaction score
Have the Cowboys been an overachiever all these years?
No. If anything, underachieved.

Every year we hear how the Cowboys are suppose to win the Super Bowl and every year they don't
To be honest, I haven't heard the Cowboys were supposed to win a super bowl.

Is it possible they havent been that great of a team all these years, but just a good or above average team?
Yes. It's quite likely.

Maybe not even good but have overachieved in winning the NFC East or making the playoffs when they are just marginal
This team never overachieves, but sometimes underachieves. This team never beats teams they shouldn't beat, and beats teams they should beat. On occasion lose to teams they should beat.

If so, isnt the results of not winning the Super Bowl fairly predictable
Absolutely.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
They play in the NFC Least division, so take that as you will. To me, they are not as good as their record shows - but they think they are. When they stop getting clobbered, or a better word is annihilated, by good teams, I will again believe they are on the right path.

shabazz

Reaction score

Every year we hear how the Cowboys are suppose to win the Super Bowl and every year they don't

Is it possible they havent been that great of a team all these years, but just a good or above average team?
Maybe not even good but have overachieved in winning the NFC East or making the playoffs when they are just marginal
In my opinion they havent been a truly great team since the 1990's, Since then they've been good but not great

Consensus is that we havent had a great owner/or GM for decades
We havent had a great coach since Jimm, Parcells and McCarthy both good but not great in their time as coach
We havent had a great QB since Troy, They've had good QB's Romo(rookie free agent), Dak (4th rd pick)

So why exactly would the fans or media believe this team be a Super Bowl contender every year when in reality they are a good team but not great

They are similiar to the Dolphins of the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, early 2000s
Miami won Super Bowls in the early 1970's, made two more in the 1980's and the rest of the years they were winning team or .500 team but never a great Super Bowl contender even with Marino.

Miami was .500 or better in 32 of 34 seasons, but after 1973 not a serious Super Bowl championship team. Every year they were a good or above average team. 1982 they made the Super Bowl in the strike year with Woodley as QB and in 1984 Marino had a record setting year but not a great team. Shula obviously was a great coach and could maximize his team but couldn't overcome the personnel deficiencies. I recall the media and the fans would expect Miami to win the Super Bowl every year or at least make the SB because of Shula/Marino or Jimmy/Marino or even when Wanstet was there with Ricky Williams at RB and Taylor and Thomas at defense but every year the same results.

Cowboys had the Super Bowl titles in the early to mid 1990's and then they were good in the late 1990's, 2000's, 2010's and 2020's, playoff team, NFC East champions but not a Super Bowl contender.
2 words....easy schedules.

3 more words....playoffs reveal truth

kskboys

Reaction score

In my opinion they havent been a truly great team since the 1990's, Since then they've been good but not great

Consensus is that we havent had a great owner/or GM for decades
We havent had a great coach since Jimm, Parcells and McCarthy both good but not great in their time as coach
We havent had a great QB since Troy, They've had good QB's Romo(rookie free agent), Dak (4th rd pick)

So why exactly would the fans or media believe this team be a Super Bowl contender every year when in reality they are a good team but not great

They are similiar to the Dolphins of the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, early 2000s
Miami won Super Bowls in the early 1970's, made two more in the 1980's and the rest of the years they were winning team or .500 team but never a great Super Bowl contender even with Marino.

Miami was .500 or better in 32 of 34 seasons, but after 1973 not a serious Super Bowl championship team. Every year they were a good or above average team. 1982 they made the Super Bowl in the strike year with Woodley as QB and in 1984 Marino had a record setting year but not a great team. Shula obviously was a great coach and could maximize his team but couldn't overcome the personnel deficiencies. I recall the media and the fans would expect Miami to win the Super Bowl every year or at least make the SB because of Shula/Marino or Jimmy/Marino or even when Wanstet was there with Ricky Williams at RB and Taylor and Thomas at defense but every year the same results.

Cowboys had the Super Bowl titles in the early to mid 1990's and then they were good in the late 1990's, 2000's, 2010's and 2020's, playoff team, NFC East champions but not a Super Bowl contender.
Most of us have thought that all along.

kskboys

Reaction score
Overachieving? Don’t know on that.

This front office is clearly capable of putting a team on the field that can reach the postseason lately (much thanks to the Washington and NYG organizations but that’s an aside), but once they are into that territory, they are routinely outcoached, outschemed, and outprepared.

Why is that the case one might ask? So Jerry is “comfortable,” and a celebrity, and the face of the Dallas Cowboys…and if they happen to ever win, everyone will know he built it all by himself.

(Enter the world applauding in unison for Jerry the Great.)

Is that being “negative” fellas or is it about on point?
Poor DT play. Jerry does not understand the position.

kskboys

Reaction score
Most of the Cowboys' fate relies upon how their FO management performs from one year to the next. Jerry and Stephen are far from the best judges of talent and rely heavily upon Will McClay to make their draft decisions for them. McClay is usually quite competent in that role. Most of their drafts have been relatively successful in far more years than not.

Nevertheless, they're absurdly reluctant to be proactive enough when it comes to veteran free agent decisions that might resolve their obvious weaknesses. Let's hope they also learn how to pay their players more efficiently than they have throughout their years of FO leadership. Poor decisions in terms of their contractual actions have been disastrous in terms of their salary cap management.
Except in the 2nd round. McClay is absolutley horrible in the 2nd round, and at finding mid/late round OL's. And at finding DT's.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
did those 13-3 and 12-4 teams overachieve?
No. The 13-3 team was not at full strength: a hobbled TO at 50% and had just an average defense to begin with that got worse with Jacques Reeves having to take over as 4th CB spot I believe.

The 12-4 team could’ve been in the NFC championship game if it wasn’t for one of the most bogus reverse calls on a catch in NFL history. Romo played well but Murray had that one careless fumble (I still don’t know how it happened from such a weak looking strip) that took away highly probable points.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Poor DT play. Jerry does not understand the position.
Well, six years ago we got trounced up the gut by the Rams in the playoffs. Same thing happened six months ago. Wasn’t great in between.

Thing is though, it’s not as if they haven’t tried since….

1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round three times, 4th, 6th….cheap FA (Watkins, Urban). They are/were all either failures or rotational pieces if we are being honest.

The only thing they haven’t done is spend for a bonafide, proven DT that costs some bucks.

I really don’t know how they are asking these young LBs and edge guys to flourish with this type of DT room, but they don’t ask my opinion.

So yeah, you’re absolutely right. They also let safety be a problem for a decade until they got lucky with some cheap free agents and a late draft pick. This is how they work, and we are supposed to be all excited about how this team is run.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the 2014 team we had was the best team the Joneses assembled in the last 29 years. That team was very good on offense and good enough on defense to win it all. One or 2 bad calls at GB killed it. Jones family wants what they want but it must be their way. Which is why we are good during the year and falter in the post season. They never take that next step with player acquisition. One or 2 player moves and the 2014,2016 teams would have been better. They always think they did enough and never admit their faults in bettering the team. That equates taking 2 steps forward and one step back. Thus status quo. Only chance we have is getting very lucky at the right time.

Aven8

Reaction score
Eerily familiar to what my Father use to tell me back in the day. Next years champions. Decent football teams but something was always missing.

What’s some what troublesome is the fact that through multiple QB’s, Romo/Dak, and multiple teams/HC’s, the same things keep happening in big games. It’s like a curse or something. Suddenly they forget how to play football. The last one might be the worst effort I’ve seen from any team in NFL history….

CashMan

Reaction score
They actually are trying to win with draft and development.
If that were the case, you would of started using 2nd or 3rd round picks on QBs in the draft as soon as your QB signed that ridiculous contract.

rambo2

Reaction score
If that were the case, you would of started using 2nd or 3rd round picks on QBs in the draft as soon as your QB signed that ridiculous contract.
They have very good qbs right now .
1. Prescott
2. Lance
3. Rush

You can't do much better than that.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well, six years ago we got trounced up the gut by the Rams in the playoffs. Same thing happened six months ago. Wasn’t great in between.

Thing is though, it’s not as if they haven’t tried since….

1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round three times, 4th, 6th….cheap FA (Watkins, Urban). They are/were all either failures or rotational pieces if we are being honest.

The only thing they haven’t done is spend for a bonafide, proven DT that costs some bucks.

I really don’t know how they are asking these young LBs and edge guys to flourish with this type of DT room, but they don’t ask my opinion.

So yeah, you’re absolutely right. They also let safety be a problem for a decade until they got lucky with some cheap free agents and a late draft pick. This is how they work, and we are supposed to be all excited about how this team is run.
Yup. Problem is, they are so bad at evaluating, especially DT's, that they have to get lucky to find even a decent one. They mostly just ignore what it takes to be a successful DT, which is quickness, lateral agility, and strength. W/ Quinn, we were always drafting those slim antelopes for DT, and they just got run over. Now, we're at least trying, but we are still ignoring the traits that make the topnotch DT's. Osa: Too light. Mazi: Too straightlinish.

Now, I cannot fault the drafting of Gallimore. I have no idea why he wasn't better, not sure anyone knows.

And there's one of the biggest problems when drafting DT's. It is harder than any other position to predict pro success. Jerry tends to look for a black and white answer, but there simply isn't one.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Except in the 2nd round. McClay is absolutely horrible in the 2nd round, and at finding mid/late round OL's. And at finding DT's.
The second round was gifted to Jerry to make his choice in the past. I'm not sure if that's still the case or not, but it hasn't gone well, except for a few cases. McClay's been regarded as reliable for the most part, but lately hasn't quite lived up to the favor that he had held in the past. I doubt that Jerry is always willing to follow his advice as need be, but I think it's a bit difficult to see from the outside looking in.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
They have very good qbs right now .
1. Prescott
2. Lance
3. Rush

You can't do much better than that.
Yes you can. We're not even top 10 when it comes to the QB room. KC of course, but there's several other teams who are stronger there. Jax, SF, DET, there's 4 easy ones. And then there's several teams that could be really good if the rooks/youngsters can play, including WASH, HOUS, TENN, INDY.