Theory: good but not great

chuck520

Reaction score
Not the way I remember it.
If they were it was from fans only, as well as lip service from Jerry and son, not the media.

Maybe some chatter in 2016, after Zeke was drafted to be paired with Romo. Once he went down, there was no talk of it at all.
most everyone had them with a losing record with a 4th round comp pick at QB.
I recall people pessimistic at the start of the season but when they were on the winning streak and down the stretch (especially after Thanksgiving) the expectations were Super Bowl again and bringing back Romo for a Super Bowl run when he was ready to play
I recall when they won the top seed they were considered the favorites even though they had a rookie QB

Anytime they make the playoffs they are considered the favorite never the underdog for some reason. Then when they are eliminated its considered such a disappointment because they should have won

chuck520

Reaction score
Hes the same guy who is quitting on the team after Dak leaves. He's already assured us a decade of futility, created a whole post to do so.
Who is? We dont even know if Dak is leaving so its all speculation.

chuck520

Reaction score
But you keep saying there’s no hope so you have abandoned them.
I never said theres no hope I said they are unlikely to improve on what they've already done because they have limited sources
Its unlikely not impossible and if it was does that mean you quit on your team?

rambo2

Reaction score
based on the results thus far what other conclusion can be made? Also if you have limited sources then limited results are predictable
Based on 3 12 win seasons in a row they might be on the edge of a breakthrough.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I never said theres no hope I said they are unlikely to improve on what they've already done because they have limited sources
Its unlikely not impossible and if it was does that mean you quit on your team?
Well you keep saying they’ll be good enough to make the playoffs but that’s it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No, I agree with you and your post supports my theory. For some reason people expect the Cowboys to win the Super Bowl every year. This isnt baseball or NBA where you have no salary cap or sign superstar max contracts that ensure your winning every year. The NFL is a 50/50 proposition with no built in advantages other than great owner/GM, coach or QB, Do the Cowboys have that? Have they had that since the 1990's?

Chiefs have great coach and QB now but their coach could not win the SB until the QB came along. Cowboys are what the Chiefs used to be before Mahomes, a good team that struggled in the playoffs.

Mahomes type players are unicorns so you cant expect to find that every year. Chiefs won the football lottery.
I'm glad somehow you found what I said somehow agrees with you so if it's agreeable we must have came the long way around from different directions >< bam and met in the same spot..lol

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well you keep saying they’ll be good enough to make the playoffs but that’s it.
Yes the way I see it and maybe our luck's gonna run out it's kind of like a race against opponent that you know you are almost as good at but not quite being able to beat but you keep qualifying for the finals and the more times you qualify and the more you race that guy eventually you have a shot at beating them I need an analogy for we have to make the playoffs to have an opportunity more opportunities we have which has been five out of the last eight years we're gonna breakthrough a lot like Peyton Manning didn't win and he was three and six before he finally broke through and got that Super Bowl it happens but you gotta keep qualifying because if you fall short every year we could complain about not going to the playoffs for five straight years or we can complain about falling short in the playoffs which may end up leading to something bigger and better...

blueblood70

Reaction score
When Romo became QB they were picked to win the Super Bowl for some reason even though he was an overachiever, then were expected to win with Dak/Zeke in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021 2022 then Dak in 2023
I'm not saying I believed it but that was the expectation from the mainstream sports media and fans
Thats why the playoff defeats were so disappointing because of the expectations

2016, 2018 they were definitely overachievers, rookie QB and they go 13-3 how often does that happen? 2018 they barely made the playoffs because of the Cooper trade If not for that they wouldnt have made the playoffs.
When they got to the playoffs the expectations were Super Bowl champions when in reality they werent that great, just good.

otherwise its just a good team that had a good year
how did it happen that's because Ezekiel Elliott and that offensive line was at their peak in 2016 you don't barely make the playoffs you make it I mean there is no almost I don't know where you keep getting that from but when a team makes a trade and that trade was the key piece and we give it a second round of the playoffs you don't barely make it there's only one way into the playoffs and that's all the way in or all the way out there is no almost some of these words you keep bringing up I gotta disagree with you you say we're overachieving but they had enough talent that they should have went further but it doesn't take much from one player or two one bad bounce and you're out that's what happens when you're evenly maxed in the playoffs when you lose by 6 points twice and eight points and Ezekiel Elliott and Prescott their rookie years were good enough the defense folded up against Aaron Rodgers like a lot of defenses do that's how romo's career ended and that's how Prescott began Aaron Rodgers just tore our defense up in the last series of the games but we've lost so many different ways you can't keep saying we're overachievers it's just some bad luck sometimes or the other team you went up against may have had just enough more in a play here or there or luck here or there with the play a call from the rest that that's sometimes all they need.... I mean look at the 70s Cowboys the oddball plays that kept them from winning two more Super Bowl against the Steelers I mean they have names for those games what were they the holy roller and something else I mean if we had instant replay back then which possible the Cowboys would have won those two Super Bowls versus lost them that's how fine line we're talking about that's not overachieving that's just falling short...

chuck520

Reaction score
how did it happen that's because Ezekiel Elliott and that offensive line was at their peak in 2016 you don't barely make the playoffs you make it I mean there is no almost I don't know where you keep getting that from but when a team makes a trade and that trade was the key piece and we give it a second round of the playoffs you don't barely make it there's only one way into the playoffs and that's all the way in or all the way out there is no almost some of these words you keep bringing up I gotta disagree with you you say we're overachieving but they had enough talent that they should have went further but it doesn't take much from one player or two one bad bounce and you're out that's what happens when you're evenly maxed in the playoffs when you lose by 6 points twice and eight points and Ezekiel Elliott and Prescott their rookie years were good enough the defense folded up against Aaron Rodgers like a lot of defenses do that's how romo's career ended and that's how Prescott began Aaron Rodgers just tore our defense up in the last series of the games but we've lost so many different ways you can't keep saying we're overachievers it's just some bad luck sometimes or the other team you went up against may have had just enough more in a play here or there or luck here or there with the play a call from the rest that that's sometimes all they need.... I mean look at the 70s Cowboys the oddball plays that kept them from winning two more Super Bowl against the Steelers I mean they have names for those games what were they the holy roller and something else I mean if we had instant replay back then which possible the Cowboys would have won those two Super Bowls versus lost them that's how fine line we're talking about that's not overachieving that's just falling short...
How many teams with leading rushers have won the Super Bowl? Very few. Usually you need your QB to win in the playoffs or both QB and RB. The 2016 team overachieved, no one expected them to go 13-3 with a rookie QB, they had a good year then the inexperience showed in the playoffs. Sure the team had talent, is that some type of guarantee of winning the Super Bowl? Again they were a good team but not great. You just think were great because of the unrealistic expectations every year but if you think rationally about it most teams dont go from 4-12 to winning the Super Bowl the next year. When they had the winning streak and won the top seed it was assumed they were the best team because they had the best record but in reality they overachieved.

I'm not sure what you are talking about from the 1970's. Both Super Bowls vs Steelers were close games but there was no holy roller. The biggest mistake was Jackie Smith dropping the TD pass but that was in the third qtr and there were other plays after that. Steelers were a better team for most of the 1970's thats why the Cowboys fell short.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
OP hit the nail on the head. This team hasn't been "that great" since 2007.

The team is incredibly imbalanced with too many $ resources going to the offense.

We are a bottom 5 spender on LBs, and a bottom 1 spender on interior DL, and that's the largest, consistent source of the imbalance.

We will never be playoff ready until this is fixed.