Theory: good but not great

kskboys

Reaction score
The second round was saved for Jerry to take his choice in the past. I'm not sure if that's still the case or not, but it hasn't gone well, except for a few cases. He's generally been considered as successful for the most part, but lately hasn't lived up to the level like he held in years past.
Was it? I thought that was just conjecture.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yup. Problem is, they are so bad at evaluating, especially DT's, that they have to get lucky to find even a decent one. They mostly just ignore what it takes to be a successful DT, which is quickness, lateral agility, and strength. W/ Quinn, we were always drafting those slim antelopes for DT, and they just got run over. Now, we're at least trying, but we are still ignoring the traits that make the topnotch DT's. Osa: Too light. Mazi: Too straightlinish.

Now, I cannot fault the drafting of Gallimore. I have no idea why he wasn't better, not sure anyone knows.

And there's one of the biggest problems when drafting DT's. It is harder than any other position to predict pro success. Jerry tends to look for a black and white answer, but there simply isn't one.
I also thought Gallimore would be much better. If he suddenly is in Miami….that’s gonna be tough to handle.

If you look at say, WR and CB, throw in edge rusher…..those players are much more marketable than the blue collar dudes that play DT, MLB and S. I’m not saying that’s how they operate fully, but I’m sure it’s a factor….if you’re not able to at least offset some of your salary with marketability, they will be hesitant to invent higher end resources.

That’s the gut of the defense, and how they’ve been burned several times before. Instead they seem to want to blame it on the ball not bouncing correctly.

Again though its not as if they haven’t tried at DT, they have simply failed. Games are won and lost in the front office as much as on the field.

My point overall is there is only one angle they haven’t tried at DT, which is spending for a proven one. Stevie’s little draft only system, while ideal in theory, hasn’t worked and probably won’t. You’d figure that would prompt the thought of some change, and maybe it has…..then they realize that no one in the world is smarter than them, and stick with it.

I want to be positive as opposed to complaining, but I have a tough time thinking they are ever going to get this right.

kskboys

Reaction score
I also thought Gallimore would be much better. If he suddenly is in Miami….that’s gonna be tough to handle.

If you look at say, WR and CB, throw in edge rusher…..those players are much more marketable than the blue collar dudes that play DT, MLB and S. I’m not saying that’s how they operate fully, but I’m sure it’s a factor….if you’re not able to at least offset some of your salary with marketability, they will be hesitant to invent higher end resources.

That’s the gut of the defense, and how they’ve been burned several times before. Instead they seem to want to blame it on the ball not bouncing correctly.

Again though its not as if they haven’t tried at DT, they have simply failed. Games are won and lost in the front office as much as on the field.

My point overall is there is only one angle they haven’t tried at DT, which is spending for a proven one. Stevie’s little draft only system, while ideal in theory, hasn’t worked and probably won’t. You’d figure that would prompt the thought of some change, and maybe it has…..then they realize that no one in the world is smarter than them, and stick with it.

I want to be positive as opposed to complaining, but I have a tough time thinking they are ever going to get this right.
We've had several in our sights, but we go flashy instead. Look at trading up for Mo, when Fletcher Cox was there. And we continually ignore the position in the 1st and 2nd round, until Mazi of course.

Malik Collins was not a bad pick, but Javon Hargrave was sitting there and he was a much better prospect due to traits. I was screaming for Grady Jarret at the time, and he went in the 5th. Mike Daniels also.

For some very strange reason we focus on height when drafting DTs. I really don't get it. Shorter guys are going to be better at leverage which means run stopping. How do we not know this? Same answer, non-football people in charge.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Was it? I thought that was just conjecture.
I strongly suspect that's been the case in the past and possibly beyond that. No doubt but what the 2nd round hasn't seen great success. In any case, you're 100% on point about Jerry & Stephen being terrible at talent judgment, both in the past and present times.

kskboys

Reaction score
I strongly suspect that's been the case in the past and possibly beyond that. No doubt but what the 2nd round hasn't seen great success. In any case, you're 100% on point about Jerry & Stephen being terrible at talent judgment, both in the past and present times.
Yeah, I see a ton of people saying it, just not sure about the veracity thereof.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yeah, I see a ton of people saying it, just not sure about the veracity thereof.
Jerry has been the object of ridicule of some of the draft candidates he's mentioned in the past. Stephen hasn't objected to any of them that I know of, either. It appears that they both have serious limitations in that area. If it weren't for McClay, the Cowboys would likely be perennial cellar-dwellers.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
Yes you can. We're not even top 10 when it comes to the QB room. KC of course, but there's several other teams who are stronger there. Jax, SF, DET, there's 4 easy ones. And then there's several teams that could be really good if the rooks/youngsters can play, including WASH, HOUS, TENN, INDY.
Lol

gtb1943

Reaction score
I guess this in bold was your point but not sure as you were all over the place. But if it was, the answer is that every years it’s a new team with new players and new coaches. Some fans like @Reid1boys, myself and others enjoy the entire NFL season and the buildup leading to. The NFL is the most popular sport in America. Teams go back decades. THe history, the rivals. It’s all fun and something to look forward to. Unfortunately, some fans are incapable of enjoying the season and instead look for ways to crap on them. It’s sad for them.
Those with low expectations are quite satisfied

CashMan

Reaction score
They have very good qbs right now .
1. Prescott
2. Lance
3. Rush

You can't do much better than that.
Lance I believe is going into year #4 of his contract, and we do not know what he is. IF he is something, you are gonna be in the same boat as Dak with his contract. Rush is serviceable at best, and his cap # is too high.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
in 1984 Marino had a record setting year but not a great team. Shula obviously was a great coach and could maximize his team but couldn't overcome the personnel deficiencies.
This pretty much answers any questions pertaining to the Cowboys after the 1990s and why they have had good but not great enough teams to even come close to reaching a Super Bowl.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry has been the object of ridicule of some of the draft candidates he's mentioned in the past. Stephen hasn't objected to any of them that I know of, either. It appears that they both have serious limitations in that area. If it weren't for McClay, the Cowboys would likely be perennial cellar-dwellers.
Jerry refuses to study tape of incoming rooks before the draft, and yet he wants to have input. I doubt if Stephen does either.

Judging from the way other GM's use and abuse him, I'd conclude he makes decisions based on the hoopla going around. Only way to explain the Escobar pick. I mean, this dude was slow and didn't have the skillset to warrant a 2nd round pick. What in hades made Jerry think he was worth a 2nd? Conclusion: Esco was a draft riser and Jerry jumped. So, you have to ask yourself, what made a slow TE who can't block rise in the draft? My conclusion is that other GMs touted his large hands and catching ability to make him rise. Why? Because every time you can convince another team that a player is worth more than he really is, that leaves other better prospects for said GM to take.

It's all a game, and Jerry not only doesn't understand that, he has no idea what they do to him.

kskboys

Reaction score
I guess this in bold was your point but not sure as you were all over the place. But if it was, the answer is that every years it’s a new team with new players and new coaches. Some fans like @Reid1boys, myself and others enjoy the entire NFL season and the buildup leading to. The NFL is the most popular sport in America. Teams go back decades. THe history, the rivals. It’s all fun and something to look forward to. Unfortunately, some fans are incapable of enjoying the season and instead look for ways to crap on them. It’s sad for them.
Who are you to tell other fans how they should enjoy their fandom?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry refuses to study tape of incoming rooks before the draft, and yet he wants to have input. I doubt if Stephen does either.

Judging from the way other GM's use and abuse him, I'd conclude he makes decisions based on the hoopla going around. Only way to explain the Escobar pick. I mean, this dude was slow and didn't have the skillset to warrant a 2nd round pick. What in hades made Jerry think he was worth a 2nd? Conclusion: Esco was a draft riser and Jerry jumped. So, you have to ask yourself, what made a slow TE who can't block rise in the draft? My conclusion is that other GMs touted his large hands and catching ability to make him rise. Why? Because every time you can convince another team that a player is worth more than he really is, that leaves other better prospects for said GM to take.

It's all a game, and Jerry not only doesn't understand that, he has no idea what they do to him.
There's a good reason why Jerry and Stephen find it necessary to hire someone like McClay to do their talent evaluations for them. It's very likely because they came to realize from their staff that they aren't nearly as good at talent evaluation as they envisioned themselves to be.

Unfortunately, they still appear to be somewhat in denial of their inadequacies in that area, however.

I'm skeptical as to how often they listen to the advice given by McClay, but I suspect it's not 100% a given that they do. I wouldn't be surprised if other GMs mislead Jerry but I can't claim I'm privy to that info, if I'm honest. I think they pay attention to the advice that they're given. If so, it's far better than often ignoring what advice is provided. I don't doubt that they listen to others upon occasion, though.

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yes, and its exactly the how the Jones' like it. They've realized that hype is more profitable than winning.
If this was the case, they'd be signing big name FA.

The problem is worse, we have two knuckleheads who think they outsmarted the league and continue to double down on it.

kskboys

Reaction score
There's a good reason why Jerry and Stephen find it necessary to hire someone like McClay to do their talent evaluations for them. It's very likely because they came to realize from their staff that they aren't nearly as good at talent evaluation as they envisioned themselves to be.

Unfortunately, they still appear to be somewhat in denial of their inadequacies in that area, however.

I'm skeptical as to how often they listen to the advice given by McClay, but I suspect it's not 100% a given that they do. I wouldn't be surprised if other GMs mislead Jerry but I can't claim I'm privy to that info, if I'm honest. I think they pay attention to the advice that they're given. If so, it's far better than often ignoring what advice is provided. I don't doubt that they listen to others upon occasion, though.
I find it really hard to believe that if McClay is as good as many believe, that he approved of drafting Mazi/Schooner/Kelvin/Trysten.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I find it really hard to believe that if McClay is as good as many believe, that he approved of drafting Mazi/Schooner/Kelvin/Trysten.
All GMs make their share of mistakes in their choices of draft candidates.

Will McClay is certainly no exception to that situation. It's no simple task.

We're all free to our opinions on that score. We're not all bound to agree.

Last edited: